BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/1/2007 1:44:07 PM EDT
How do you rate them and in what order?
Link Posted: 3/1/2007 5:57:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Ciener was my vote for two reasons only. I don't own any of the others.
1. Mine works great
2. Parts/parts availability/aftermarket stuff (not a lot but X 10 compared to the rest)

BDM is adding to the list I just mentioned BUT is finally going to help some of the others.
Link Posted: 3/1/2007 7:58:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Ciener is my primary choice now due to Blackdogmachines new magazines.

I'm looking forward to his new M261 25 rd. version.
Link Posted: 3/2/2007 8:30:38 AM EDT
[#3]
I think a lot of people like the Ciener kit because it's widely available and there's a full-auto compatible version.  I like my M261 because it works, it was available when I was interested, it works, and it was affordable.  Did I mention that it works, and works well?

The only problems I've had have been due to ammo.  For some reason it didn't like the Remington bulk pack (525 loose in a box), but then my Ruger Mark II and my Walther P22 didn't like that stuff either.  Maybe I got a poor batch of the stuff, but I'm sticking with Federal Champion to be on the safe side.
Link Posted: 3/2/2007 8:31:12 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Ciener is my primary choice now due to Blackdogmachines new magazines.

same here
Link Posted: 3/2/2007 9:03:21 AM EDT
[#5]
I recently picked up a used M261 kit and two mag inserts. Shot 250 rounds at the range last Saturday. Only 2 FTF with Rem Thunberbolts (both duds, tried them both twice, and in my Buckmark). No FTE. Very reliably built adapter. Very robust build compared to the Ciener. I'm waiting with baited breath for the BDM 25 round mags now.

I loved the looks of those next to me in the other pistol bays when I was sighting in at 15 yards. They were all quite curious until I showed then the M261 kit. It was printing 2" groups of 5 shots all afternoon. I wanted to try it at 50 yards, but I didn't bring a scope to maximize my accuracy potential. I'm thinking it would be beer can sized groups at 50 yards. Plenty good for my needs to get more trigger time on my AR and general practice.
Link Posted: 3/4/2007 7:28:50 AM EDT
[#6]
What upper & twist rate are you using? Your accuracy is about the same as mine with coated rounds. I believe I am getting better accuracy with lead thunderbolts. Iv never actualy seen or held the M261 kit. That is what I was looking for when I ran accros the Ciener.

Quoted:
I recently picked up a used M261 kit and two mag inserts. Shot 250 rounds at the range last Saturday. Only 2 FTF with Rem Thunberbolts (both duds, tried them both twice, and in my Buckmark). No FTE. Very reliably built adapter. Very robust build compared to the Ciener. I'm waiting with baited breath for the BDM 25 round mags now.

I loved the looks of those next to me in the other pistol bays when I was sighting in at 15 yards. They were all quite curious until I showed then the M261 kit. It was printing 2" groups of 5 shots all afternoon. I wanted to try it at 50 yards, but I didn't bring a scope to maximize my accuracy potential. I'm thinking it would be beer can sized groups at 50 yards. Plenty good for my needs to get more trigger time on my AR and general practice.
Link Posted: 3/4/2007 1:46:12 PM EDT
[#7]
I bought two of the Rick Kuehl uppers a couple of years ago -
Modified Ciener kit with no "jump" to the rifling
Reliable as heck
"Set back" barrel for the 14" look
Proper bore diameter
Proper twist
Reliable as heck in FULL AUTO
High cap mags available
Excellent quality

Link Posted: 3/6/2007 7:20:20 PM EDT
[#8]
M261 kit for me.  It is reliable, cheap, and a blast to shoot.  The mag inserts are a bit sensative...and the "host" mags can't be POS's either...but once you understand it's quirks, it is like the energizer bunny.

PRO's:  Cost...reliability...durability...parts availability...not having to deal with Jon Ciener

CON's:  Lack of F/A...low cap mags (for now)...

Try one, I think you'll like it.

ka
Link Posted: 3/9/2007 5:53:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Old School tag...

Sean
Link Posted: 3/9/2007 6:20:17 AM EDT
[#10]
M261.  I am waiting for BDM's 25 round mags.
Link Posted: 3/17/2007 9:21:24 PM EDT
[#11]
I had both a M261 and a DPMS dedicated upper.

I kept the DPMS because it was more reliable and accurate. I didn't care much for the M261, not that it had any problems with it besides having to file down the firing pin.
Link Posted: 3/18/2007 6:59:39 AM EDT
[#12]
anyone know who has the M261's ?
Link Posted: 3/18/2007 8:57:39 AM EDT
[#13]
You can get new M261 kits from Olympic Arms.  (they call it a rimfire adapter kit).  I paid $129 delivered - took it to the range today, fired about 100 rounds, no problems except for 1 dud round.  I was like a kid in a candy shop!   You can't buy it directly on the website, but if you call them they can get one.  If it's in stock, it'll be to you in a couple of days.  Couldn't be happier!
Link Posted: 3/18/2007 9:06:41 AM EDT
[#14]
#1 - Rick Kuehl's upper with modified Ciener- reliable, accurate. Standard and hi-vel works fine.

#2 - Air Force kit - reliable.  Mag feeds very nicely but looks weird - big, white nylon monster the size of 30 round mag but holds only 10 rds. Standard and hi-vel works fine.

#3 - M261 - mags are biggest weakness (in my experience), host 5.56 mags need to be good quality. Hi-vel works better.

*I also like my CZ V22 - has to be kept clean, the mags are somewhat sensitive-the screws have to be tightened to just the right tension or the followers will bind and the unit will jam.  Definitely prefers hi-vel.

All comments = my experiences so far.  Your mileage may vary.

I believe that Midway carries the Oly conversions (M261).
Link Posted: 3/18/2007 12:08:57 PM EDT
[#15]
I've pondered over buying a 22LR conversion or 9mm AR, and finally decided to go with the Ciener 22LR kit based on the price at Brownells, and because of the 30rd Black Dog Mags. I'm eagerly awaiting the full-sized 22LR mags, so I'm not buying many of the current stick-30rd BDM mags.
Link Posted: 3/21/2007 4:59:54 AM EDT
[#16]
I remember reading in another thread that a certian 22 conversion had damaged the chamber in some fasion... Anyone heard or experienced this?  I have never used a conversion so have no idea if it's even possible.

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/21/2007 6:00:45 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I remember reading in another thread that a certian 22 conversion had damaged the chamber in some fasion... Anyone heard or experienced this?  I have never used a conversion so have no idea if it's even possible.

Thanks
That was this thread  The guy said "My Ciener kit put a bur around the edge of my chamber, so extraction of 5.56 became a problem..."  That has to have been a major fluke with the kit.  My M261, like all the other kits I've seen, has a "chamber adapter" that is shaped like a 5.56mm cartridge body.  Where this attaches to the body of the adapter, which is where the bolt head would be, it's very smooth.
Link Posted: 3/21/2007 10:39:02 AM EDT
[#18]
ciener kit was my only option.

30rd mags available
Only kit that I know of thats F/A capable.

Link Posted: 3/21/2007 12:04:39 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm using  M261 with no issues.  Gobbles up all kinds of ammo without a hitch.  I had a Colt marked Ciener kit in the 80's and it was a nightmare.  It had all kinds of reliability issues.  That was a long time ago and I'm sure they must have improved otherwise they wouldn't be as popular as they are now.
Link Posted: 3/21/2007 7:53:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Yep I offered to take it off his hands for a fair price sence it was defective. He never responded?

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks
That was this thread  The guy said "My Ciener kit put a bur around the edge of my chamber, so extraction of 5.56 became a problem..."  That has to have been a major fluke with the kit.  My M261, like all the other kits I've seen, has a "chamber adapter" that is shaped like a 5.56mm cartridge body.  Where this attaches to the body of the adapter, which is where the bolt head would be, it's very smooth.
Link Posted: 3/27/2007 6:57:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Hmm... the Ciener kit obviously has the bigger following but in looking at the kits(pics as I've never seen either in person) the 261 seems to be built a lot better/heavier.. is that just an illusion from the pics or is that really the case?  Would like to hear from someone thats seen and handled and possibly used both...  I'm leaning towards the 261, if I can actually find one but the following of the Ciener still has me on the fence!

I'll be ordering one today so any comments would be appriciated..!  

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/27/2007 9:48:32 AM EDT
[#22]
I'm like you, waiting to buy to be sure, and I think the biggest draw of the Ceiner kit is the availability of 30 round mags.  From the sounds of it, if the M261 had high cap mags, they would probably be the kitty.
Link Posted: 3/27/2007 10:00:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Ciener, just bought it with 3 BDM mags, still need to shoot. looking foreward to it.
Link Posted: 4/3/2007 9:47:19 PM EDT
[#24]
No I think people choose the Ceiner almost 3 to 1 because it rocks. Very good reliable design. Fir me its been outstanding.

Quoted:
I'm like you, waiting to buy to be sure, and I think the biggest draw of the Ceiner kit is the availability of 30 round mags.  From the sounds of it, if the M261 had high cap mags, they would probably be the kitty.
Link Posted: 4/4/2007 6:15:19 AM EDT
[#25]
I love my DPMS M4 upper, just wish they would make some hicaps
Link Posted: 4/4/2007 6:28:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Ciener for me. Runs in FA, and is as reliable as .22LR can be. It has a few hangups from time to time, but it's rimfire.  A few problems are expected.
Link Posted: 4/4/2007 11:46:22 AM EDT
[#27]
anyone know who has Ciener kits available?  can't seem to locate any in stock at the moment.

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/4/2007 12:12:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Try Brownell's. A+++ service. I'm at 700 rounds with a Ciener and 98-99% reliability. BDM mags are also great. CCI Mini Mags have been very good for accuracy out of my Bushmaster 1-9 barrel. 4-6" groups at 100 yards. Two days ago, I was hitting a 12" square metal target at 175 yards prone with iron sights - 20 clicks up. Yes, I'm happy. Smartest BRD decision I've EVER made. I haven't fired any 5.56 since I got it.
Link Posted: 4/4/2007 12:33:05 PM EDT
[#29]
yup, I did... they're out of stock too...
Link Posted: 4/29/2007 5:36:12 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
anyone know who has Ciener kits available?  can't seem to locate any in stock at the moment.

Thanks

Keep checking with CTD, they are selling them about as fast as they arrive.
Link Posted: 4/29/2007 8:43:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Have a dpms kit (still wait for the new mag designs). From what I have been reading on the ceiner and bd mags, I voted for them.
Link Posted: 4/29/2007 9:35:12 PM EDT
[#32]
My Kuehl upper might be perfect. I just dumped 17 BDM mags- Had 3 FTFire with rem match ammo. The upper was flawless
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top