Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/5/2007 5:38:12 PM EDT
I finally got time today to get out and shoot the dedicated upper I got from http://www.rcsunlimited.com . Due to scope problems, travel for work, and other things I had hoped to get this down months ago...  

Upper – Dedicated .22 upper from that was built on a composite receiver using a modified Ruger 16” 1022 barrel. The upper uses the standard Ciener conversion kit but has a modified chamber adaptor that is included. The upper has an aluminum free floated hand guard.

Lower – Bushmaster postban lower, upgraded with a RRA two stage match trigger and a Command Arms collapsible stock

Scope – Simmons Whitetail Classic 2.5 - 8 x 28 – Mounted using Warne Ultra High quick detach 1” rings.

Ammo – CCI Stinger, CCI Mini-Mag, Federal Bulk (Walmart 550 Ct box), Remington Subsonic, and Aquila Sniper Sub Sonic

Magazines – (2) Ciener 10 rd mags – (The Blackdog 30 rd mags were too long for comfortable shooting because of hitting the bench. They did function 100% shooting for fun afterward though)

All shots were at 50 yards from a sitting position at a bench with the rifle resting on a sandbag. I shot mainly 6 shot groups (I got tired of changing targets) and did not re-sight in for each ammo type.

I am an average shot at best, and do not get to shoot as often as I would like. Overall I was VERY pleased with the rifles performance and accuracy. There were a couple shots out of each group that were abnormal from the rest of the group. I am not sure if these shots were the rifle, the ammo, or me; since I got similar results from all the ammo. Groups could be considerably tighter with more practice on my part I bet. I am wondering if part of my problem was not using a .22 scope? Any ideas?

The best consistent groupings came from the CCI Mini-Mag ammo. The CCI Stinger was considerably more powerful (recoil and sound) than everything else, but had looser groups than the Mini-mags.

The Federal Bulk from Walmart gave decent groupings, but included more ‘off’ shots. Both types of subsonic ammo gave way better than I expected performance. The Aguila did not give any keyhole even with the heavier 60 gr. bullets.

If any of these do not come out go here to see them

The Upper

CCI MiniMag group

CCI MiniMag Group2

MiniMag & Stinger Group

Walmart Federal Bulk Group

Subsonic Groupings

CCI Stinger Group

thanks

Brian
Link Posted: 9/15/2007 5:53:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/15/2007 2:29:30 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Scope – Simmons Whitetail Classic 2.5 - 8 x 28 – Mounted using Warne Ultra High quick detach 1” rings.

There were a couple shots out of each group that were abnormal from the rest of the group. I am not sure if these shots were the rifle, the ammo, or me; since I got similar results from all the ammo. Groups could be considerably tighter with more practice on my part I bet. I am wondering if part of my problem was not using a .22 scope? Any ideas?

The best consistent groupings came from the CCI Mini-Mag ammo. The CCI Stinger was considerably more powerful (recoil and sound) than everything else, but had looser groups than the Mini-mags.

The Federal Bulk from Walmart gave decent groupings, but included more ‘off’ shots.

Scope--Very much so! Your scope is prolly parallax-set to 100 or 150 yards--basically, "infinity"--and no way to easily adjust it. You could very well be having parallax problems causing flyers at 50 yards, especially with a platform like an AR thaat has a crappy, inconsistent cheek weld stocking (unless your face is as fat at Michael Moore's or Ted Kennedy's). Get a scope with Adjustable Objective and you can factor parallax out. I'm having good luck with the Simmons 22MAG scope, 3x-9x 32mmAO, which can be found for about $70. Or, if you're gonna leave this scope on this gun, you can adjust it for parallax at 50, but it's a bit of a PITA.

Nice groups with the MiniMags! The Fed Walmart Bulk did about as well as can be expected--this isn't very accurate ammo though it is reliable (usually). Try Remington Golden Bullets--these are working well for me in two different AR conversions. Stay away from Walmart's Winchester XPerts--they make dirty chambers which can lead to a OOB-ckBOOM in an AR, VERY bad news!

Sounds like you're having fun with your new toy. Good luck with your further experiments!
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top