Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/3/2004 9:20:25 AM EDT
I haven't had much expierence with these, but I remember years ago I was only feeding WOLF 7.62x39mm through my SKS. These rounds appeared to be leaving a thick residue in my rifle.

So why did I let a guy convince me to buy 500 rnds for my AR? Cheaper is the answer that and I didn't have a very wide selection to choose from. Plus he is very expierenced with ARs so I took his advise. I can't help but think I should have gone else where to get ammo. WHat it the popular consensus on WOLF brand ammo?

For just general plinking at moderate ranges: What ammunition do you recommend?
Link Posted: 7/3/2004 9:27:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Wolf ammo is dirty, but I've never had a problem shooting it...

It's not as accurate as, say, Black Hills 68 or 75gr... But that's the only drawback I've seen...

Now, some people seem to have trouble getting it to feed reliably... Never happened to me...
Link Posted: 7/3/2004 9:37:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Oh they feed fine, I have always heard negative things about WOLF ammo, I finally got the search feature to find me what I needed and it seems lots of people are useing it and they are happy with the results,

Thanks, I just want to make sure my baby eats healthy, you know
Link Posted: 7/3/2004 9:43:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Wolf is fine.  Shoot it up!!

Link Posted: 7/3/2004 12:31:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I just got back from the range.
We ran 200 rnds of Wolf 55gr through my 16" chrome lined RRA without a hiccup.
Got the barrel hot enough that the oil was smoking off.
Wolf ammo is good stuff for $100 a case delivered.
No sense wasting good ammo on mag dumps and teaching non-shooters how to shoot...
Link Posted: 7/3/2004 12:42:09 PM EDT
[#5]

Try it, it's fine. No problems. Some people just seen to have a negative view of inexpensive ammo.
Link Posted: 7/3/2004 1:19:20 PM EDT
[#6]
I shoot both Wolf and Lake City.  I've put almost 1500 rounds of Wolf through my BMs with no problems.  500 rounds of that were in a one day tactical course.

CDKayak
Link Posted: 7/3/2004 1:25:30 PM EDT
[#7]
If your rifle will eat it, makes great 'go out and burn ammo' ammo.
Link Posted: 7/3/2004 1:34:31 PM EDT
[#8]
I keep hearing how good it is, I know it works fine in AKs
But I can't get it to work for shit in any AR15 I try it in!
Oh & It is underpowered, It produces noticably less recoil than any other 5.56 ammo I have shot!
Link Posted: 7/3/2004 1:38:27 PM EDT
[#9]
I've shot around 3500 rounds of Wolf and never a single problem. I'll be ordering 2000 more rounds this week.
Link Posted: 7/3/2004 2:10:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Not to be rude, but please read the ammunition review threads tacked to the top of the page. There are two seperate reviews, one for lacquered and one for polyer coated Wolf ammo. People have been responding to those threads for a while and you should be able to find plenty of comments which will answer your question.
Link Posted: 7/3/2004 2:27:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/4/2004 1:08:33 AM EDT
[#12]
I've shot close to 2K of the old Wolf through my Oly with only one stuck case and that was easily tapped out with a cleaning rod.  It's kind of a crap shoot (no pun intended), it shoots in one rifle and nothing but trouble in another.  If you have a match chamber then stay away as these seem more prone to stuck cases.

Oh yea, I've torn the rim off of XM193 once too

I'm not much of an ammo snob myself.  If it goes bang and puts a little hole pretty much where I wanted it then it's OK in my book.
Link Posted: 7/4/2004 1:09:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Ask Little Red Riding Hood!
Link Posted: 7/4/2004 5:05:21 PM EDT
[#14]
great stuff. no problems with over 1000 rds
Link Posted: 7/4/2004 11:54:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Wolf ammunition made me sterile, gave me cancer, drove over my dog, and ran off with my woman.
Link Posted: 7/5/2004 9:16:58 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Wolf ammunition made me sterile, gave me cancer, drove over my dog, and ran off with my woman.

It made me impotent, but my rifle eats it like there is no tomorrow!I recently shot 2000 rounds of the stuff with no cleaning (chrome lined chamber and barrel). No stuck anything. No jams of any kind, except for the blister I got from moronically grabbing the barrel after a couple of 30-round fun strings. This is the older stuff with lacquer. No problems at all.

My heart wants to use XM193 and XM855, but my wallet keeps demanding Wolf.
Link Posted: 7/5/2004 9:24:42 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/5/2004 4:14:07 PM EDT
[#18]
It only took about 10 rounds through my dpms m4  to get my chamber sticky.  I couldnt hand extract them. They would extract when fired but it made me a little leary. I gave the remainder of the boxes i bought to a buddy at the range.

looks like ill just be spending a buck more a box for domestic ammo. (ill just make the wife get a second job to cover the extra cost)

I picked up some Main manufacturing lake city remanufactureds at bulletfest. They shoot awsome for 150 bucks a thousand. Even came in nifty little 100 round plastic boxes.

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top