Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/6/2004 2:29:00 PM EDT
Has anyone got any of this stuff from Sportsmans Guide?  What did you think of it?

I just got 1000 rds of it and it's of 4 different years of manufacture, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2004.  None of it has green tips and a 30-40% of it has dents in the case.  All of it looks like something they would have cleaned up off the floor to be junked.  All the cases are either corroded, stained, or have tool marks on them.  It's a sad lot for the price.

The box it came in says on it, "For Training Use Only"

At $209 per 1000, it's not worth it.

Has anyone shot this stuff?  Checked it with a Chronograph?
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 2:31:29 PM EDT
[#1]
What exactly did you get?  XM855, XM193?

Link Posted: 8/6/2004 2:38:00 PM EDT
[#2]
"Actual, current over-run of U.S. military rounds from Federal®!

Some of the SS109 M855 bullets have the distinctive Green tip markings, others have been cleaned. 62-gr. FMJ, brass-cased, Boxer-primed, reloadable. "

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=140094

This is a copy/paste from the ad on SG.  I'm not sure what I got.  It's LC brass.  The bullet is magnetic.  No green tips, and certainly not cleaned.  

This ammo is usable, but I thought I was getting new off the presses ammo.

Link Posted: 8/6/2004 2:45:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm very far from an expert but it is my understanding that real military ammo will not be pretty.  The case necks may be discolored and the brass kind of dirty looking.  

I'm sure you'll get a much better informed answer shortly.

Link Posted: 8/6/2004 5:59:59 PM EDT
[#4]
This is what you have, XM855 from SG.  My shipment actually looks pretty good; shoots even better.  I hope you used online discount coupons and a membership for best pricing.

Also the pic in the SG listing is incorrect.

The XM193 rounds from SG looks like this:

Link Posted: 8/6/2004 6:09:58 PM EDT
[#5]
My XM855 from Sportsman's Guide came without the plastic bag. Shot great, no problems, grouped about as well as my XM193, and the POI/POA difference from one to the other was negligble out to 200 yds.
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 6:42:01 PM EDT
[#6]
I recieved some today that was XM193PD and it was in the 500 rounds bulk pack.  The carton said for training use only.  Anyone know why?  And what does the PD stand for?
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 6:52:57 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I recieved some today that was XM193PD and it was in the 500 rounds bulk pack.  The carton said for training use only.  Anyone know why?  And what does the PD stand for?

I'll save you some time:

Quoted:
It would appear that, while XM193 was intended for the civilian market, the non-uniformly-sealed M855 was intended for sale to police departments as cheap training ammo (hence XM193PD, and the "For Training Use Only" warning). For whatever reason, Federal has allowed the sale of this ammo on the civilian market.

Link Posted: 8/7/2004 12:26:21 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm sure it's shootable ammo.  Even with the discounts the price is to high for the condition of the ammo I got.  I was under the impression it was new grade "A" ammo from Lake City by Federal, and I paid a higher price to get that.

kensteele, if you are satisfied with what you got then great!  I'm not at all satisfied and SportsmansGuide has agreed to take it back.  And I appreciate that very much.

I also got 800 rds of the Aussie .308 and it is exactly what I expected.
Link Posted: 8/7/2004 6:59:01 PM EDT
[#9]
That's cool, the SG people are pretty nice overall.  I used to live in Minnesota so I used to go to their store and I've been shopping at SG for many many years.  It's good to know they'll refund you if you aren't satisfied.
Link Posted: 8/8/2004 7:43:14 AM EDT
[#10]
I've ordered LC-XM193 from three different vendors over the past few years.  All the the cases were unpolished and a decent percentage of the cases were slightly dented.  I was used to seeng comercially-offered "sporting" ammo, so initially this worried me.  After shooting several thousand rounds without any problems I learned to ignore the appearance and appreciate the performance.

Don't worry about it... shoot up and enjoy.  
Link Posted: 8/8/2004 6:13:43 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm certainly not worried about it's performance, I'm just not used to paying .20+ per round for floor sweepings and 2nds.  If that ammo was selling for $125-150 range it would be about right.  

I've bought lots of surplus, military, etc.  ammo from time to time and I know the difference between it and commercial hunting ammo.

Here again, each to his own and I'm certainly not trying to talk anyone out of buying this stuff.  I'm just expressing my dislike of it and I think anyone wanting it should know what it really is, because SG is not telling the Whole story about this ammo.  And I'm sure if I had asked they would have told me all about it.  I just didn't know I had to ask to get the whole story.  
Link Posted: 8/9/2004 7:14:26 PM EDT
[#12]
"Q. What is with this goo and the dings on my Lake City Rounds?

Lake City doesn't bother to polish ammo after it's loaded. Occasionally you'll see dings or excess sealant on the casings of Lake City ammunition, particularly the Federal XM193 that Lake City has produced of late.  Sometimes the ammo looks downright beat up.  It's generally not anything to be concerned about and shouldn't impact performance.  Still, most distributors will offer to take the ammo back if it's in that condition.  Check to see if your vendor has a return or satisfaction guaranteed policy if you're really worried about pretty ammo.  You can also send it to the AR15.com staff "Ugly Lake City Disposal Facility" and we will be happy to render each and every round safe."

www.ammo-oracle.com/body.htm#chamb
Link Posted: 8/9/2004 7:16:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Bottom line, appearance should not affect perfomance, just shoot it and be happy.
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 7:16:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 6:30:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 7:28:23 AM EDT
[#16]
I wouldn't buy from them, their stuff is usually junk.
I bought XM193 ammo from wholesalehunter.com
At the time, they had a hell of a deal, $ 2.99 per carton.
Shipping was may $ 12.00 for 500 rds.  I bought 1,000 rds of the bat.
They've since gone up just a bit, so check them out.
Fired 300 rds the other day, all was digested eagerly by my Oly Arms carbine.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 10:19:19 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

You don't honestly believe that ammo from SG is actually "Sportsmansguide" ammo, do you?
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 1:31:59 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

knot_rite, you obviously don't know what you are talking about.

It's not who you get it from but what you get that determines the quality of ammo.
SG has been a reliable online source of quality surplus ammo of all calibers for years.

Why don't you tell us what experience you base this opinion on?
Mine is based on tens of thousands of rounds purchased from them over the years.

Link Posted: 8/16/2004 1:48:39 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I've purchased 3000rds of  Federal Lake City XM193 from Sportsmans during the last year,
all of it has been very good.

It was identical to the case I ordered from Ammoman.

SG's    Australian & Port  .308  has been fine too.

Why would SG's ammo be junk when all the retail vendors get this ammo from the same wholesale vendors  

Link Posted: 8/16/2004 6:47:57 PM EDT
[#20]
I've shot more xm193 through my M-4 and varminter than any other rounds, approx 1500 rounds. I just got another 500. It don't look good but will group 3/4 to an inch at 100 yards from the varminter.  The stuff is boxed in 20 round boxes as pictured and I would imagine Sportsman Guide is selling the same exact stuff I'm getting $87.00 for 500.  The stuff is 1st class ammo and it might not be polished like Black Hills but shoots just as good at 100 yards.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 7:18:26 PM EDT
[#21]
this question might be out of place.

but how many rounds are packed in a sealed factory case?
1000?
or
500?

the picture of the federal xm. is that two 500 cases?
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 8:07:59 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
this question might be out of place.

but how many rounds are packed in a sealed factory case?
1000?
or
500?

the picture of the federal xm. is that two 500 cases?

You are correct, the Federal XM from SG comes in two separate 500 round cases.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 9:20:51 AM EDT
[#23]
XM193  55gr

www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=47461

M855  62gr
www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=140094

www.ammoman.com  also has the Lake City stuff at good prices
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top