Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2006 12:38:18 PM EDT
I recently pickup 8 boxs of Hornady 223 black 55 gr TAP FPD and 5 boxs of 223 black  75 gr TAP FPD.  Are these bullets like the V Max?
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:52:21 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
 Are these bullets like the V Max?

No.  Hornady TAP are OTMs (they look like FMJ's with a small opening at the tip). IIRC V-Max are the polymere tipped rounds.  The polymere tipped 75gr rounds won't fit in an AR-15's magazine.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 1:08:45 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No.  Hornady TAP are OTMs (they look like FMJ's with a small opening at the tip). IIRC V-Max are the polymere tipped rounds.  The polymere tipped 75gr rounds won't fit in an AR-15's magazine.

I thought the red plastic tip was like the V-Max.  Does the red plastic cover the hole?
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 2:40:36 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought the red plastic tip was like the V-Max.  Does the red plastic cover the hole?

No TAP loading has a polmer tip as far as I am aware of. Only the 75gr TAP should be considered for serious use, meaning against a 2 legged preditor.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 2:43:05 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
No TAP loading has a polmer tip as far as I am aware of. .

60 & 40gr TAP use the polymere tipped Vmax bullets.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 2:58:31 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No TAP loading has a polmer tip as far as I am aware of. Only the 75gr TAP should be considered for serious use, meaning against a 2 legged preditor.

I have 13 boxs here.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 3:29:06 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm pretty sure they loaded the vmax in they're 55 and 60 grain TAP at one time or another.  he may have the 55 grain vmax, but all he'd have to is look.  Because forrest, you only addressed the 75 grain bullet he had.  

DonD, if your 55 grainers have a red tip, then yes it is the vmax.  They don't make an Amax in 55 that I'm aware of.  And like forrest said, the 75's are BTHP's.  Just have a look at them.  

Edited to add: if you have red tips in boxes that are marked 75 grain then they're either:

#1 labeled wrong or 55 or 60's put in the wrong box     or
#2 a new loading of 75 grain amax'es that none of us know about.  Which are not supposed to fit in an AR magazine.  

Can you take a pic???
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:11:48 PM EDT
[#7]
My 55 grain TAP has red tip, the 75 grain does not.  I think he was wondering if the actual bullet was different from a V-Max...  My interpretation...

TS
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:25:30 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm pretty sure they loaded the vmax in they're 55 and 60 grain TAP at one time or another.  he may have the 55 grain vmax, but all he'd have to is look.  Because forrest, you only addressed the 75 grain bullet he had.  

DonD, if your 55 grainers have a red tip, then yes it is the vmax.  They don't make an Amax in 55 that I'm aware of.  And like forrest said, the 75's are BTHP's.  Just have a look at them.  

Edited to add: if you have red tips in boxes that are marked 75 grain then they're either:

#1 labeled wrong or 55 or 60's put in the wrong box     or
#2 a new loading of 75 grain amax'es that none of us know about.  Which are not supposed to fit in an AR magazine.  

Can you take a pic???

55 gr has the red tips 75 grains are the hollow points.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:53:20 PM EDT
[#9]
55 grain TAP round with pulled V-MAX bullet.

75 grain TAP round with pulled BTHP Match bullet.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 3:05:41 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
No TAP loading has a polmer tip as far as I am aware of. .

60 & 40gr TAP use the polymere tipped Vmax bullets.

Forest,

I stand corrected. Only the 75gr TAP loading is suitable for 2 legged preditors. If you after the other, then 40 & 60gr will work.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 3:09:43 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
55 grain TAP round with pulled V-MAX bullet.
home.comcast.net/~gocartmozart/pulled55b.jpg

75 grain TAP round with pulled BTHP Match bullet.
home.comcast.net/~gocartmozart/pulled75.jpg

Same bullets thanks.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top