Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/30/2006 6:42:50 PM EDT
I've seen the Ammo Oracle's extremes of damaged ammo -- dispose of massive dents, but ignire little dings.  Also, I've disposed of XM 855/193PD rounds with split necks, etc.  

My questions is as follows:  How bad do you think a ding/dent would need to be before it causes a problem?

Here are some dinged rounds I pulled out of a can of Georgia Arms Canned Heat:

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:45:43 PM EDT
[#1]
i'd shoot it.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:09:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I would shoot the 1st 2 but not sure about the 3rd
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:20:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Shoot it and check the cases after you shoot them.
The pressure will fireform the dents out.

KyARGuy
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:54:27 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Shoot it and check the cases after you shoot them.
The pressure will fireform the dents out.

Yeah, I know that works, but at some point I'd be worried that a sharp and/or deep dent might have weakened the case.

How sharp?  How deep?  I guess that's a judgment call.

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:59:26 AM EDT
[#5]
I agree with WMHM4 on this one.  Shoot the first 2 but dump the last one.  When there is a dent on the neck area, it can sometimes get caught on the feed ramps when it chambers and not fully seat causing a jam.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:16:02 AM EDT
[#6]
I'd shoot 'em, and have shot ammo that looked like that in the past, those look like sizing lube dents, nothing to worry about.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:26:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Drop the in a case gauge.  If they fit fine and fall out fine, shoot them.

Brass is very soft, the 50,000 psi +/- pressure will form the brass to the chamber.

I have fired those range pick-ups that had the skid mark from the bolt all the up the case body, case just forms back to the shape of the chamber.

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:27:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Just don't reload them...

Rmpl
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:37:32 PM EDT
[#9]
I'll bet that they fit the case gage fine and that they fire fine.  Those dents aren't enough to worry about-yet.  As noted earlier, do NOT reload cases like this.

Doesn't Georgia Arms make their stuff, maybe from GI once-fired cases?  In any case, the third round looks like a case of an "oil dent," a dimple in the case shoulder caused by a buildup of sizing lubricant in the die.  These are cosmetic problems, not functional or safety problems.

I would definitely shoot them.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:19:21 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Doesn't Georgia Arms make their stuff, maybe from GI once-fired cases?  

I picked up two 500-round cans at the last gun show.

I opened one can, and of the few hundred rounds I've loaded into mags (haven't shot any yet), about 30% was Lake City or Mil Winchester.  The rest was everything under the sun: Remington, commercial Winchester, PMC, Federal, other.

I opened the other can, and of the handful I looked at, all was Lake City IIRC.

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:44:08 PM EDT
[#11]
If the case were to fail, would it cause a kaboom?  One would think a steel chamber with a place for the gas to escape would contain the problem even if the case were to fail.  It seems like the worst that could happen would be a short stroke from not having a good seal to send all the gas down the barrel.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 12:22:06 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm not a guru so someone who knows correct me if I am wrong. I don't think it would KBoom, as the sides of the case are supported by the chamber, I think most KBs are in the unsupported area of the case head. (where chamber meets bolt).
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:51:18 PM EDT
[#13]
"Kabooms" happen when there's some problem that allows the cartridge to fire somehow while out of battery, or when the bolt fails to retain lock during firing.  A failed case may vent gas, but the rifle is built to vent that gas down through the magazine and out the ejection port.  This is bad, but not too bad, and generally doesn't harm the rifle-though it may fray your nerves pretty badly!
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top