~nb
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 1:11:17 AM EDT
[#1]

Packed Bulk 1000/box
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 1:15:27 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Packed Bulk 1000/box

So don't buy it... leave more for the rest of us!

It's a good price for it. I've shot plenty of that stuff. Maybe 1 or 2 rounds per case I throw out.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:07:59 AM EDT
[#3]
I have had no problems with the 855PD. I am on my 4th case from Natchez. Other than the occasional bent round, or split neck, the stuff is great. Makes really fine brass for reloading as well.
The garbage PD ammo is the 193PD. I picked up a case to try, and had a few with no powder, which lodged a bullet in the throat of my barrel. I cautiously finished that case, and haven't bought any more of it.

YMMV.

ETA:
The $189 price is the normal price that Natchez has been charging. The last batch I got was $179 on sale.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 3:57:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I live about 2 miles away from The Armory in VA Beach.  The last time I was in there (couple weeks ago), they had about 20 cases in stock for $179.95 each.  So I bought a case (just under $190 out the door), but I haven't shot any of it yet.  

I just grabbed a random handful and saw 01 and 02 headstamps.  I'd suggest calling them before placing an order to make sure they're in stock.  Sometimes the website isn't accurate.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 4:55:24 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Packed Bulk 1000/box

I said it was PD ammo... all PD's are bulk.

As for the old $179 price... the old price was $189 with a $10 discount so that's why it was $179.  Natchez pricing went up last month on a lot of their ammo, so the regular price now is $199... thus the sale price for $189.  

It's still a good deal for xm855PD... most of the 4K that I used up only had about 10-20 that was questionable per-case.  If nothing else, save this stuff for trade when SHTF and ammo becomes the new form of $

~nb
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:30:17 AM EDT
[#6]
I buy from THE ARMORY too!
I live in VA beach, as well, and have bought MANY guns and lots of ammo there. I recently bought some 855 PD there, and found only 700 rounds in the case! (Needless to say, I was surprised) I called and Marie told me there was nothing they could do, but Tim handed me a loadout pack (120 rounds) the next time I went in.
Do me a favor, Steezo, and count out one of your boxes. If it's 1000, I'll just shut up. If not, they need to hear about it.
I'll continue to shop at the Armory, and of course recommend them, but I was pretty miffed about loading rounds on strippers and only counting 70 of them.
Steve.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:34:21 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Packed Bulk 1000/box

So don't buy it... leave more for the rest of us!

It's a good price for it. I've shot plenty of that stuff. Maybe 1 or 2 rounds per case I throw out.

+1, no problems here
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:43:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Or worse Cancel-Discontinued!
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:18:56 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Or worse Cancel-Discontinued!

Is that the case?

Bigfeet
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:23:55 PM EDT
[#12]
I've bought a bunch of stuff from them, no problems.  My 193 and 855 PD both had about a thousand rounds.  It's odd that yours was 300 short....
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 6:07:12 AM EDT
[#13]
I bought a bulk case of XM193PD early last year; just be sure to inspect each and every round before you shoot them.  I had about a 7 percent reject rate.  Here are some of the offending rounds I dismissed:

Link Posted: 4/12/2006 6:30:14 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I buy from THE ARMORY too!
I live in VA beach, as well, and have bought MANY guns and lots of ammo there. I recently bought some 855 PD there, and found only 700 rounds in the case! (Needless to say, I was surprised) I called and Marie told me there was nothing they could do, but Tim handed me a loadout pack (120 rounds) the next time I went in.
Do me a favor, Steezo, and count out one of your boxes. If it's 1000, I'll just shut up. If not, they need to hear about it.
I'll continue to shop at the Armory, and of course recommend them, but I was pretty miffed about loading rounds on strippers and only counting 70 of them.
Steve.

As I shoot Wolf, I keep the plastic holders to organize the 855 PD.  There's around 1000.  Definitely more than 720.  There's only one round that I deemed unsat.  Hopefully I can make it down to Pungo and shoot some of this stuff.  
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 2:03:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Steve, I'd just like to set the record straight on the 5.56 ammo you bought from my store.  As you remember, you came in and said that you were looking to buy a case of ammo.  We went through all the pros and cons from buying Wolf to Winchester to Federal.  At that time, I cut the factory seal on the XM855PD case so that you could inspect it and see what kind of condition the ammo was in for yourself.  You looked at it and we talked about it for a few minutes. I pulled a few rounds out and you inspected each one as we talked about it.  As you remember, the case was full to the top when we opened it. At which point, you said you wanted that case and we took it over to the counter and Tim rang you up.  Sorry I didn't reseal the case for you.  For your reference, to help out, I've attached several photos, one is of a full open case of Federal and the second is with 150 rounds missing and the third is with 300 rounds missing.  We both would have noticed if there were 300 rounds missing when you bought it.  When I opened the case, I did open it from the bottom which was my mistake because the plastic bag they use as a moisture barrier was rolled up on the bottom.  Could this have given a false impression of how much was in the case?  No, I tried that several times and it looks the same as the photographs I showed above.  It has no significant visual displacement of the ammo.  Also, when Lake City (Federal) fills these cases, they don't fill them by volume, they use a counting scale which fills them by weight.  Out of concern, I went down and checked all the past online orders for the XM855PD and XM855 and found that they were all 24.1 pounds by the UPS receiving scales and 24.06 by our scales in the store.  The next thing I did was go over to the warehouse to see if any of the in stock ammo at the warehouse was off.  At the present time we have over 300 cases of 855.  Took a significant number of cases and checked them and they were all on the money.  Even went to the extent of counting a few of them and they were 1002 to 1003 per case.  So I have no idea what happened to the case after it left the store.  You are right, when you came into the store to let us know that you were shorted 300 rounds (1/3 of the case) I was surprised since we both inspected it before you left.  Since you are a very good customer, I told Tim to do whatever it took to make you happy with the purchase.  I told him if he had to to give you one or two load out packs of XM855 (not XM855PD, which you purchased).  Tim informed me later on that everything was resolved, that you just wanted to let us know that there might be a problem with the count or packaging from Federal.  As I've said above, we've checked everything and cannot figure out what happened.  Have a good day.  Bill Garner, Owner of The Armory.

http://www.the-armory.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/media/Full-1000.jpg

http://www.the-armory.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/media/Missing150pd.jpg

http://www.the-armory.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/media/missing300.jpg
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 2:26:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Tag
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 2:58:55 PM EDT
[#17]
I live in ga and nachetz won't ship to me.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 5:17:44 PM EDT
[#18]
In case anyone is curious, I just got my 2 cases of xm855pd and sorted through one of them very carefully.  There was another post that clamed it was not only no good but downright dangerous to shoot.

Out of the case, 12 rounds were obviously unsafe, very bent necks and split cases.  I consider 1.2% damaged rounds completely acceptable for bulk military ammo.

I actually weighed each round out of the case and sorted them by weight and quality (someone from the other thread recommended this, it was freaking tedious and I won’t be doing it again.)

About 450 of the remaining rounds were perfect, 300 were fine, the rest were fugly but shootable.  The average weight was 185 grains per case and never a deviation of more than 10 grains, therefore it is safe to say no squibs, the other post clamed that there was 20 something grains of powder.

A lot of the rounds got thrown into the “Fugly” category because of green paint on the case, I don’t know if this will gum up a chamber but I have no problem using it as range ammo, and will see then.  I have chronographed xm855pd before, but I hope to get to the range this week to compare what the “Light” rounds and the heavier ones clock at.

Bottom line is that this stuff is fine, especially in todays ammo economy.  You certainly need to sort it out but not the extent that I did.

I will post my Chrono data when I get it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 7:32:56 PM EDT
[#19]
I've been slowly working through a box of 855PD for the past 3 months and I've only thrown out about 4 rounds out of 800.  It has all been great shooting with only 1 squib.

However, since Natchez has been selling 55gr UMC for 3.69 a box, I haven't looked back.  If I can find new, clean ammo no more than $20 over what I'd pay for 855PD, then I'll buy it instead.

It isn't my preferred, but it gets the job done fine.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top