BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 8/6/2006 9:05:02 PM EDT
Just wanted to hear what the ammo looks like overall.

Rumor has it AIM only split open 1 of the 4 battlepacks in a case to see what it looked like, and from the reports from the previous batch of Gaut it might mean that the other packs are decent/good and only the open one is corroded.

We can just use this thread as a 'clearing house' for reports on this ammo if people would like.  I certainy would appreciate it!
Link Posted: 8/7/2006 3:41:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Bump for day crew...I kow that at least SOME of you should have gotten it by now!

Just trying to decide if I should buy a 1440 of this or 1500 of Wolf .223.  The risk of a few bad rounds vs.  some slightly underpowered and really dirty ammo...hmmm.
Link Posted: 8/7/2006 3:43:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Mine was as good as my previous battle packs of Guat from a few months ago, possibly better.

ETA: They slit the top two battle packs and one box of ammo... the battle pack I loaded into mags was on par with the previous stuff I ordered.  I just checked the other battle pack, and the box they opened was flawless.  I think the stuff I ordered a few months ago was dated in either 1993 or 1987.  This stuff was March 1990.

I've yet to find any traces of crack cocaine, but whoever called this "seconds" was on something.
Link Posted: 8/7/2006 4:12:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I received mine today.. except it's in Ohio and I am in Iraq.  hinking.gif

I'm 4th in line to go on leave!
Link Posted: 8/7/2006 4:39:08 PM EDT
[#4]
i just tried to order some but the website is stuck in a loop or something, i click check out, choose my state and it sends me back to the item !

Thanks,
Al Rodriguez
Link Posted: 8/7/2006 4:42:36 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Mine was as good as my previous battle packs of Guat from a few months ago, possibly better.

ETA: They slit the top two battle packs and one box of ammo... the battle pack I loaded into mags was on par with the previous stuff I ordered.  I just checked the other battle pack, and the box they opened was flawless.  I think the stuff I ordered a few months ago was dated in either 1993 or 1987.  This stuff was March 1990.

I've yet to find any traces of crack cocaine, but whoever called this "seconds" was on something.

Pretty much what I figured- if the pack they slit had corrosion they simply threw it aside as 'grade II' isntead of checking the other battlepacks.

Did you have any rounds that you had to toss due to severe corrosion, or did everyhting look shootable?

Damn, really on the fence on this one...the clean stuff I fired was some great ammo, but the brand new Wolf ammo runs 100% through all my AR's and my SAR-3.  I'll have to think about it tonight.
Link Posted: 8/7/2006 4:43:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I have two cases in transit that should arrive tomorrow - I'll post the results....
Link Posted: 8/7/2006 4:58:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Mine comes tomorrow also
Link Posted: 8/7/2006 5:13:06 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pretty much what I figured- if the pack they slit had corrosion they simply threw it aside as 'grade II' isntead of checking the other battlepacks.

Did you have any rounds that you had to toss due to severe corrosion, or did everyhting look shootable?

Damn, really on the fence on this one...the clean stuff I fired was some great ammo, but the brand new Wolf ammo runs 100% through all my AR's and my SAR-3.  I'll have to think about it tonight.

I saw maybe a half dozen rounds with any corrosion out of the seven mags I loaded.  Go buy Wolf... leave the Guat stuff for me... I don't want them to run out.  The only thing I'd be on the fence about would be whether to buy one case or three.  I'm debating whether or not to order another case or two.
Link Posted: 8/7/2006 5:32:35 PM EDT
[#9]
I got 1990 Lot 2.    I just got done going through the crate.    Less then 10 rounds had any white on them.   75% were just tarnished.   100% looks GTG to me.   I am runnning it through the case vibrator now.    AIM had opened two of the four battle packs in my case.    I will be buying more for sure!   This was my first order to AIM and I can only say good things about them.   Good ammo, great price and great service.    
Link Posted: 8/7/2006 7:40:50 PM EDT
[#10]
I would have bought but the wife hid my credit cards because we are moving I hate moving unless I can get surplus in 5 weeks.  I hope I can find 1000 rounds of Brasscased for 210 shipped then.
Link Posted: 8/7/2006 7:57:38 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
i just tried to order some but the website is stuck in a loop or something, i click check out, choose my state and it sends me back to the item !

Doing the same for me.  Tried both Firefox and Internet Explorer, same thing.
Link Posted: 8/7/2006 8:02:19 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I would have bought but the wife hid my credit cards because we are moving I hate moving unless I can get surplus in 5 weeks.  I hope I can find 1000 rounds of Brasscased for 210 shipped then.

Dont ya mean 1440 rounds?

Link Posted: 8/7/2006 8:06:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Yeah 1440 but the Guat will be gone in 5 weeks.  Should get 720 of RG and a M24/47 to shoot my 500 rounds of 8mm.

Scott
Link Posted: 8/7/2006 8:07:52 PM EDT
[#14]
is anyone having trouble ordering ? it keeps routing me back to the ammo page when i try to check out
Link Posted: 8/7/2006 9:42:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Yeah, something is jacked up with their electronic shopping cart.  It isn't just the Gaut ammo, it is anything in the store- it automatically kicks you back to the itmer after you go to 'checkout.'

I'll call tomorrow and let them know when I place my order.

Dawg
Link Posted: 8/7/2006 10:22:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Wanna hear some reports.
Link Posted: 8/8/2006 3:46:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Should be at my doorstep today

Link Posted: 8/8/2006 7:42:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Should be at my front door when I get home this evening along with a case of SA 7.62.  Can't wait!
Link Posted: 8/8/2006 8:01:41 AM EDT
[#19]
do i really have to send in my ID? I will turn 21 in 6 months and was wondering if they really check. thanks
Link Posted: 8/8/2006 9:38:03 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
do i really have to send in my ID? I will turn 21 in 6 months and was wondering if they really check. thanks

No ID, they don't ship.
Link Posted: 8/8/2006 9:41:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Mine got here this morning. It's fine, the brass is a bit tarnished but nohing like dark tarnish seen in some pictures posted here, the brass is just dirty looking and a bt dark. No spots or anything. Looks about the same as my XM193. I have no complaints and am very pleased, good ammo for a good price.

Steve
Link Posted: 8/8/2006 10:22:12 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Mine got here this morning. It's fine, the brass is a bit tarnished but nohing like dark tarnish seen in some pictures posted here, the brass is just dirty looking and a bt dark. No spots or anything. Looks about the same as my XM193. I have no complaints and am very pleased, good ammo for a good price.

Steve

Curiously, what lot number, and date stamp are you guys getting?
Link Posted: 8/8/2006 11:46:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Well I figured for about $0.15 a round shipped and mlitary grade boom it was too good to pass up so I ordered a case.  If tarnish is the only issue then it is up to spec with XM193 as far as I am concerened.  Makes a lovely basketball sized fireball with my 16" naked barrel AR and SAR-3.

Nice thing is that additional things like SA 308 battlepacks ad a negligible amount to the shipping after that, so I threw in a 308 SA pack for my brother to boot (he's paying me back- no freebees!)

Link Posted: 8/8/2006 12:09:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Just got home, gimme a few minutes to open mine up and check them.  BRB>>>
Link Posted: 8/8/2006 12:20:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Hurry gus !!!!!  you have people hanging by the edge of their chairs here
Link Posted: 8/8/2006 12:27:00 PM EDT
[#26]
come on gus its been 30 minutes already!!
Link Posted: 8/8/2006 12:40:43 PM EDT
[#27]
OK OK!!!     I checked three boxes from each of the opened battlepacks (one pack from each crate was opened by AIM).....

Crate 1 - 2/91 - greenish grey battlepacks, looks as good as or better than any I've had so far. A couple of stains, no corrosion found (so far). Ready to shoot as is - quite nice!

Crate 2 - 1/90 - camo battlepacks - tarnished and discolored same as the last crate I bought, but no corrosion, no creepy-crawly remains in the crate ().  This crate I will open every box and inspect each round as time allows. It's not nearly as nice as crate 1, but I dont' see anything yet I wouldn't shoot as is. Definately worth the money in today's market.

In any case, it looks as good or better than the Guat I got from them in late June. Certainly no worse, and the price is nice (shipping was $36 to ship both crates).  AFAIK, it's the best bargain for surplus .223 right now.  Should make a fine meal for my M16.
Link Posted: 8/8/2006 2:00:36 PM EDT
[#28]
I just opened all mine up and did a quick spot check.

One battle pack was open of the four, all were camo colored. Lot 11 from 89 I think. It sure as heck wasn't as shiny as brand new ammo but no tarnish or corrosion. Just looked a little dirty

In other words it's terrible and will blow your barrel up because ar's are so sensitive when it comes to ammo!
Link Posted: 8/8/2006 4:20:38 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

One battle pack was open of the four, all were camo colored. Lot 11 from 89 I think. It sure as heck wasn't as shiny as brand new ammo but no tarnish or corrosion. Just looked a little dirty

In other words it's terrible and will blow your barrel up because ar's are so sensitive when it comes to ammo!

Same for me except Lot 2 90...

This shit should not be shot IMO....

This being said-I just ordered 2 more crates...

Link Posted: 8/8/2006 4:39:36 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Same for me except Lot 2 90...

This shit should not be shot IMO....

This being said-I just ordered 2 more crates...

If I wasn't a broke ass college student I would order another, but my fun money is gone after buying that case.
Link Posted: 8/8/2006 5:21:10 PM EDT
[#31]
I got mine.  Only one pack and one box was opened.  While I only checked two boxes, I have to say its pretty much what was advertised.  I'm not complaining.

Link Posted: 8/8/2006 6:05:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Well, I've completely gone through one of my crates - the 2/91 stuff in the green packs.

I pulled roughly 150 rounds out to be cleaned, the rest are as good looking as any XM193 I've seen. Some of the ugly rounds are REALLY ugly, but I think they'll clean up. Every round checked out in my case guage and all are concentric (not crooked or bent). There didn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to where the cruddy rounds were - I only had three boxes that were completely good. Every other box had between 1 and 7 ugly rounds. Keep in mind, I pulled any round that had ANY discoloration. The rest look perfect.

Also finished the first battle pack of the 1/90 camo sleeved stuff. To my surprise, although it looks dirtier overall, I found a lot fewer rounds that I pulled. Still have three battle packs to go....

ETA:Finished the last three packs. Dirty looking overall, but not too bad. I only pulled a total of about 50 rounds out of that crate, and all of them will clean up easily.
Link Posted: 8/8/2006 6:24:25 PM EDT
[#33]
So for the cruddy rounds...  will a few mins in the tumbler clean those right up?
Link Posted: 8/8/2006 6:54:46 PM EDT
[#34]
While we're on that topic, is it safe to tumble loaded rounds such as these to remove some of the corrosion or discoloration?
Link Posted: 8/8/2006 7:07:22 PM EDT
[#35]
I had a bad batch about a month ago that I tumbled for almost two hours and it made the good part of the bad rounds look like new but it did NOT do much on the blemished areas.  Shot fine though. My grade 2 will be here tomarrow but just in case it's ugly I got a can of RG to have some "purdy" ammo to look at.
Link Posted: 8/8/2006 7:19:01 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
So for the cruddy rounds...  will a few mins in the tumbler clean those right up?

I'd say there might be 20 of the cruddy ones that won't clean up easily. The rest, for sure. There are only maybe 30 rounds ot of the entire 2 crates I wouldn't shoot as is - the rest of the uglies aren't really that bad. I'm just picky.

This isn't ammo I'd put away for SHTF or other long term storage - I consider it "blaster" ammo. I have a couple K of XM193 for storage. However, if Guat was all I had I wouldn't be very worried about it. It does seem to shoot well and is very reliable thus far for me.
Link Posted: 8/8/2006 7:40:37 PM EDT
[#37]
I just ordered some.  I needed to resupply, I'm down to about 400 rounds!
Link Posted: 8/8/2006 7:51:17 PM EDT
[#38]
wat do ya guys use to clean the bullets?
Link Posted: 8/8/2006 7:56:29 PM EDT
[#39]
I'm going to try Brasso on any of the questionable rounds I get in the case I ordered.  That should be this weekend!
Link Posted: 8/8/2006 8:17:40 PM EDT
[#40]
I was not going to order this but after reading what you guys/girls are saying I am goin to order now.  Thanks for all the info.
Link Posted: 8/8/2006 8:22:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Just ordered now and everything worked wonderfull.
How long did it take to get it?
Link Posted: 8/8/2006 8:23:08 PM EDT
[#42]
When I got my Guat awhile back, I cleaned the ones that were cruddy with a Scotch-brite pad. It worked fine at getting the foreign matter off the rounds and went fairly fast.

Semper Fi!
Link Posted: 8/9/2006 3:18:49 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
When I got my Guat awhile back, I cleaned the ones that were cruddy with a Scotch-brite pad. It worked fine at getting the foreign matter off the rounds and went fairly fast.

Semper Fi!

That's what I'm going to use.
Link Posted: 8/9/2006 3:40:34 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
While we're on that topic, is it safe to tumble loaded rounds such as these to remove some of the corrosion or discoloration?

I just got mine and put all 1440 rounds through the tumbler.    45 minutes each batch.   They do not look like new but are clean.  

Link Posted: 8/9/2006 3:55:54 AM EDT
[#45]
I ordered another case because I lack self control.
Link Posted: 8/9/2006 3:58:25 AM EDT
[#46]
I didn't hear about this until now.  MAN They are smart!  from reports, isn't the ugly shit shooting as well as teh clean?
Link Posted: 8/9/2006 5:20:15 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
from reports, isn't the ugly shit shooting as well as teh clean?

So far, yes.  

ETA: That doesn't apply to the few REALLY ugly rounds I've found - I won't chamber them until and unless I can clean them up. I have found about 50 rounds out of 4320 I've inspected so far that I wouldn't shoot as is.
Link Posted: 8/9/2006 7:26:33 AM EDT
[#48]
JUST ORDERED A CASE
Link Posted: 8/9/2006 7:35:56 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
I ordered another case because I lack self control.

+1 on the self-control issue~got to thinking of this stuff at work yesterday and it got the best of me, picked up the phone and ordered a case, should be here tomorrow.  ARKAR
Link Posted: 8/9/2006 12:12:02 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
I got mine.  Only one pack and one box was opened.  While I only checked two boxes, I have to say its pretty much what was advertised.  I'm not complaining.

www.gunco.net/gallery/data/500/medium/cc_007.jpg

Educate me, would you guys shoot that stuff?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top