Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/27/2008 11:30:40 AM EDT
Hello!

I received my two cases of the new WOLF ammo yesterday via UPS.  I bought it from AIM and it was just under $300 for 1,000 rounds, which includes the shipping.

Zhukov has already done an excellent job measuring overall length, bullet weights and etc.  so I skipped all this and went right to shooting.

For this test, I used my Colt 6920.  It's a stock Colt carbine with the addition of an Aimpoint M4 and a Larue/Troy BUIS.  It's got the usual factory bad trigger, etc.

All firing was done from 100 yards from the seated position.

I fired three groups of five rounds using the Aimpoint and three groups of five using the iron sights.  After each group, I let the rifle cool for two minutes.  

The target used was a standard TQ-15 qualification target.

I forgot to bring along my camera, of course, so I had to use my cell phone.  These pictures are not the best but you get the idea.

Here's what a standard TQ-15 looks like:

Here's the fifteen rounds fired with the Aimpoint:

Here's the fifteen rounds fired with the irons:

Ten rounds of WOLF rapid fire at the head using the Aimpoint:

Ten rounds of Hornady 75 TAP practice ammo fired rapid fire for comparison.  I used the Aimpoint here, too:

I also fired five rounds from fifty yards and twenty-five yards with our HK-416D.  These were fired from the seated position:

The HK416D:

Overall, not too bad!  I am not too terribly surprised that the TAP practice round shoots better but spotty availability doesn't make it the ideal practice load.  Also, the WOLF stuff is $30 or so a case cheaper than the Hornday.

I want to get some additional time with this load and the HK.  I also want to run a similar test with my SLR-106FR and my Yugo M95.

Link Posted: 6/27/2008 11:31:58 AM EDT
[#1]
PS--Forgot to add that I used standard old aluminum GI mags for this little test.  I experienced no failures to extract, etc. with either weapon.
Link Posted: 6/27/2008 1:58:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Several months ago someone reported pulling the bullets from some Wolf ammo and measuring the charges. They varied considerably! He then re-charged each bullet with a uniform charge and measured their accuracy, which improved very noticably.
Link Posted: 6/27/2008 2:53:59 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Several months ago someone reported pulling the bullets from some Wolf ammo and measuring the charges. They varied considerably! He then re-charged each bullet with a uniform charge and measured their accuracy, which improved very noticably.

Zhukov's Report on Bullet Weight, Powder Charge and Overall Uniformity...
Link Posted: 6/27/2008 3:51:03 PM EDT
[#4]
F the ammo, how in the hell did you get a 416D?!?!
Link Posted: 6/27/2008 4:25:47 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
F the ammo, how in the hell did you get a 416D?!?!

Unfortunately it belongs to Uncle Sugar!

Link Posted: 6/27/2008 4:49:44 PM EDT
[#6]
height=8
Quoted:
F the ammo, how in the hell did you get a 416D?!?!height=8
Quoted:Unfortunately it belongs to Uncle Sugar!

At least he lets you borrow it. Thanks for working for him/us.
Link Posted: 6/27/2008 6:09:50 PM EDT
[#7]
 The ammo seemed pretty good to me. I fired a 20 round box today out of one of my three gun rifles. The rifle is a carbine with a light weight barrel 1 in 9 twist. The sight s are a Millett 1-4 on a Larue mount. The ammo ran fine and from a prone position I range a 10 inch plate at 200yrds 17 out of 20. Now the 3 that didn't ring the plate could have very easily been me.
Link Posted: 6/27/2008 6:38:39 PM EDT
[#8]
i haven't tested any of mine for accuracy yet, but it doesn't look like it's too bad. i've gotten worse groups with american eagle before.
Link Posted: 7/1/2008 10:38:21 AM EDT
[#9]
I took my Yugo/Nodak M95 out to the range during lunch and did a little more accuracy testing with the new WOLF ammo.  This time, I used a Transtar target since it has a nice white center to aim at.

For reference, the white center is six inches tall and four inches wide.  I also fired ten rounds at the head of a TQ-15 as I did with my 6920.

Man!  My Yugo loves this stuff!!!

EDIT:  All groups were fired off the bench at 100 yards.

One group of four rounds and one group of three with a called flyer:

Another group of three with WOLF heavy:

Ten rounds into the head:

Link Posted: 7/28/2008 7:51:52 AM EDT
[#10]
I shot five rounds over my Chrony this morning. Firearm used was the Colt 6920 and I was fifteen feet from the screens.  Slightly overcast and about 75 degrees.

Lo 2703
Hi 2743
Av 2720
Extreme Spread 39.2
Standard Deviation 16.2
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top