Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/25/2004 7:13:30 PM EDT
Now that the ban's gone, it'd be neat to get some translucent plastic magazines that let you easily see how full a magazine is, like the G36 magazines.
Is anyone making or selling something like this yet?  Looked around the internet briefly, but didn't find anything.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:44:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I've seen them..not sure of the maker
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 8:00:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Two mfg's... Eagle and Ramline.  You don't want them.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 10:26:18 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Two mfg's... Eagle and Ramline.  You don't want them.

I have had a few ramlines, worked great still have them, I know some people have had cracked lips after a few uses but I just but 20 rounds max in my 30rd mags. However on a mini-14 they seem to spew out rounds.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 10:34:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I've had both Ramline and the Eagle mags.  The Ramlines were the worst mags ever and I returned them at once.  When I did, the guy at the store actually injured himself trying to pull one out of a rifle.

The Eagle mags have performed very well.  I've never had a failure with them except for one that was my fault.  The ability to just pull the mag and count how many rounds are left has been really handy on a few occasions.  However, they do have one serious downside:  They are FRAGILE.  If you drop one on a hard surface there's a good chance it will break.  Guess how I know this
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 10:04:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Anyone know of any decent mag manufacturers who will be coming out with clear mags? Or is it simply that the magazine well isn't large enough in order to design a 'tough' plastic mag for the ar's and that's why the ones available are so fragile?
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 10:07:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 10:11:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I'll stick to aluminum or steel mags, thank you.

-Tyler
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:04:03 AM EDT
[#8]
I had some DPMS clear ones. The rounds tended to pop out at the wrong time.

Maybe a plastic body with metal feed lips would work.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:21:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Why can't someone make one with the little holes in the side (like Beretta mags) and a marking to tell you how many rounds are left at each hole?  Then you can still have your tough metal mag, and tell how many rounds are left at the same time.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:05:55 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Why can't someone make one with the little holes in the side (like Beretta mags) and a marking to tell you how many rounds are left at each hole?  Then you can still have your tough metal mag, and tell how many rounds are left at the same time.

"solving" the problem that way creates others...

- This allows for moisture/water to enter (a lesser concern because most people don't cap their mags and it would have gotten in anyway)

- This allows for sand, dirt and grit to enter the holes and fuck up the works (MAJOR PROBLEM)

I have seen this style of mag sold before. They were avoided for that reason.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:33:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Eagle mags are perfectly fine for range mags and work very well.  I've never had a problem with mine and have never dropped or plan to drop a mag (non SHTF scenario) so the whole question of being fragile is a non issue and can get blown way out of proportion.  Before the ban Eagle had a lifetime guarantee on their mags and, now that the ban is gone, they might be able to exchange the 30 round mags one for one again instead of three 10 round mags in exchange for your bad 30 rounder (at least that's what they did for their 10/22 mags).
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:50:19 PM EDT
[#12]
BH is correct.  I reread my first post and I probably made the fragility issue sound worse than it is.  Just don't expect the impact resistance of a Thermold.  As long as you don't drop them on a hard surface they work just fine.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 1:58:38 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

If you are concerned with how much ammunition you have in your rifle you could just swap in a fresh magazine in the time it takes to turn your rifle to the side and inspect your magazine.

However the clear mags look very cool and would have a place in my collection for that reason alone. Things don't HAVE to be useful to be worth purchasing...
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 2:07:30 AM EDT
[#14]
I remember a thread about this awhile back, I think they have to be alot thicker then an AR magwell allows.  The G36 mags are supposed to be alot thicker then ARmags.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:09:20 PM EDT
[#15]
I have toyed with the idea of making a decent clear mag.  I didn't think there would be enough/much interest in them to offset the cost of tooling.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 6:15:42 AM EDT
[#16]
I don't  know if anyone is still checking this post, but  http://www.deltaforce.com has some transparent mags that they say will fit both the AR and the Mini.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 7:38:05 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I wouldn't want to take those into combat, but they would be great at the range.

Scotty voice "How about using transparant aluminum?"
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 8:13:13 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I don't  know if anyone is still checking this post, but  http://www.deltaforce.com has some transparent mags that they say will fit both the AR and the Mini.

I took a look and I didn't see it, but if it's the Ram-Line, run away as fast as you can....
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top