Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/29/2005 1:08:04 PM EDT
Introducing MOMAC or otherwise Molle Magazine Carrier. The name may change, but for now that's it.

After 6 months of trial and error and well over 30 different concepts, I am now going to start a small run of 50 to 75 in black kydex over the next few weeks, and just want to see if anyone at ARF may be interested. If you want to be added to the list send me an email, and I'll set aside how many ever you may want.

My digital camera is almost dead, but I have a short 1.3mb video of how the MOMAC works.

MOMAC demo

I have not set a price yet. Once I get the run finished, and I am able to see exactly how much time and material is involved, I will set the price then. To Date it appears that each MOMAC will be $35 to $45 each.

Any thought or questions please feel free to reply or IM me

Thanks
JohnT

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 1:15:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Um, well first - how sturdy is the mag held when I'm running, falling, and generally being a klutz?  Also, how tight is the seal around the top, not much in the way of protection for the mags when prone.

I'm intrigued, but not sure if I'm interested yet.  Fast reliable reloads are always important, but never at the sacrifice of losing the mag on the run there.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 1:30:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I ran a COF last Sunday at FDCC with this setup, and everything stays in place. It is able to hold the mags while in prone. I have rolled, jumped, and tried every way to make them fall out. The key to the MOMAC is that it must be pulled and turned at the same time. This prevents the mag from falling out. There are two tabs that prevent the mag from coming out. One is directly below the mag. It covers the floor plate. The other is located on the right bottom side that slopes just over half way around the side of the mag. That one prevents the mag from sliding out, especially effective when lying prone.

There will be other ARF member that will be evaluating this mag carrier in the coming weeks. new_arguy is one that I have spoke to about this. However, for now, this is just an introduction.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 2:40:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Is this a mag carrier that is user attached to a molle vest? h.gif
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:02:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes, molle or pals requires all items to be attached by the user. The momac uses a one piece U shaped kydex strap that is attached to the carrier with 4 Chicago screws. One at each corner of the strap.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:33:34 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Um, well first - how sturdy is the mag held when I'm running, falling, and generally being a klutz?  Also, how tight is the seal around the top, not much in the way of protection for the mags when prone.

I'm intrigued, but not sure if I'm interested yet.  Fast reliable reloads are always important, but never at the sacrifice of losing the mag on the run there.

I got my hands on one, you can literally shake a loaded magazine so hard that the rounds bottom out and it will not come out of the MOMAC. It's kinda like a retention holster. If you jump from planes, you can be certain that mags will stay secure.  Like a retention holster, you can remove the mag with the right movement.  It keeps the sharp edges of the mag off your body so if you go prone, you won't get gashed. Faster than pouches, your hand is in contact with the mag %100 of the time, not fumbling for a velcro flap and then digging out the mag. It's a neat piece of go fast gear.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:45:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Well I'm interested, I'd be willing to try 'em out.  Is it $45 per the 3 or just per each individual mag holder?  If it's individual I'm not going to be able to test it, way out of my price range.  $45 each, 270 for a standard 6 mag loadout, that's going to exclude a lot of people.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:57:06 PM EDT
[#7]
I realize the price is high for blue collar folk. Myself included. Right now I have well invested with this project (trial and error) and my wife is ready to hit me over the head with it. Depending on how many I can get done with the materials, that will determine what I charge per unit. The price is really unknown at this time. The 35 to 45 is a ballpark fig based on R&D labor time per unit. So once a system of assemble gets started, I can better est what the cost are.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 11:49:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Are you thinking that price per individual mag holder (MOMAC) or for the MOMAC as shown with 3 mag holders?
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 12:53:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Price is per unit.

I started setting up things today, and ran some numbers concerning quantity verses material cost and time. If this estimate works out, the first estimated price will be obsolete and high.

As far as a package price, yes, there will be package deals available. ETA is late Oct.

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 2:34:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Well I'm out, I gotta find something that works with ranger plates. I like the idea though. good job
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 4:32:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Great Idea. You should send a "loaner" to me for the SWFLA crew to check out at the upcoming shoot. I'd love to give it a wirl but its outof my price range, but I would love to give it some exposure/publicity for ya
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 3:24:39 AM EDT
[#12]
jlford30 I have spoke to Richard at MagPul about that. It's in the works.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:59:11 AM EDT
[#13]
new pics added
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:08:05 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
jlford30 I have spoke to Richard at MagPul about that. It's in the works.

Sweetness!
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 7:06:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Very interesting, can we see pics of the back?

It looks like a good design and the only problem I have with it is that it orients the mag differently than my Hellcat's mag pouches. I would prefer to not have to train two different types of mag retrievals for my chest carrier.  

I guess it would fine if you only use these mag carriers exclusively like on the vest in pics above.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 12:32:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Wow that is really slicker than snot!
Tsh77769
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 12:42:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Thats pretty cool.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 4:03:33 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Very interesting, can we see pics of the back?

It looks like a good design and the only problem I have with it is that it orients the mag differently than my Hellcat's mag pouches. I would prefer to not have to train two different types of mag retrievals for my chest carrier.  

I guess it would fine if you only use these mag carriers exclusively like on the vest in pics above.

Yes, it would take some thought in order to retrieve a magazine with two different setups. Here is the pic requested.

Right now I am trying to find the best way to get the edges finished. Everything so far either leaves a rough finish or a sharp edge.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 12:47:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Any possibility of making these for other mags? For example, HK AR mags, Sterling 40rd AR mags, M14, FAL, HK 91, AK 7.62x39mm, MP5, etc.?

Tsh77769
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 1:05:09 PM EDT
[#20]
You know, these woould probably work pretty well with a drop leg mount or belt mount too.

Would you be willing to send a sample set of 3 to  a PD SWAT for a 2 week T&E?

Tsh77769
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 1:37:18 PM EDT
[#21]
DISCLAIMER
I'm not being a prek asking this nor am I trying to be funny.

What are the chances round detenation in the event of a upper body hit? We all realize that commercially loaded ammo can take a lot of abuse but I never seen the results of loaded mags being shot at (for obvious reasons).
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 5:06:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Dont mean to hijack the thread but the above poster wanted to see what happens to loaded mags being shot.  http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot9.htm
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 6:38:42 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Dont mean to hijack the thread but the above poster wanted to see what happens to loaded mags being shot.  http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot9.htm

Thanks bro, that was an interesting read. I'll sleep better at nights now.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 1:48:51 PM EDT
[#24]
And to FL-AR15, cool product you got there, I would consider buying one from you,keep us posted as to production.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 7:51:27 AM EDT
[#25]
FL-AR15

That looks great for the "i need it right now" mag change when cover's not available.  Any chance they'll be available soon in sand color?  I'd like to give one a try on this two-way rifle range.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 11:27:48 AM EDT
[#26]
I should have at least 12 in tan out of the 75 being made.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top