Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/26/2006 1:43:22 PM EDT
Anyone know anything about the quality or reliability of these new 45 round mags?

DPMS Panther Arms' New 45 Round Magazine works in any firearm that readily accepts EM-16 magazines and is function fired before shipping.
Stamped out of 0.040" Thick 6000-series Aluminum, heat treated to T6 condition
Hard coat anodized per MIL-A-8525, Class 2 Teflon coated
Fabricated from two 30rd box magazines
Uses a standard follower and floor plate

Product Code: MA-45

$89.95  

DPMS 45 round mag
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 3:32:15 PM EDT
[#1]
That mag looks pretty lame. You can see where the two mags were joined. And that price is totally crazy!
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:29:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:36:32 PM EDT
[#3]
If (and its a big IF)they work 100%, then people in the 3-gun world will find them attractive, even at this price. Sterlings are more, and PMI mags (I have two) can be a bit hit-and-miss. The only other alternative would be a drum (MGI or Beta-C), which are more pricey still.

Yes, $85 is a lot, but then again they are probably welded by hand, then cleaned up inside and out by hand, and lastly the mag spring has to be replaced. Anything that is made in America and requires hand finishing is going to be pricey. I thought you guys disapproved of buying Made-In-China crap .
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:08:05 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
If (and its a big IF)they work 100%, then people in the 3-gun world will find them attractive, even at this price.

Another reason why 3-gun is so gay.  They claim how "real life" it is, but never uses anything that you would use in real life.

I was watching Shooting Gallery a few weeks ago.  They were penalizing the shooter if he dropped his spent pistol mag and didn't retain it, when they should be penalizing him for retaining it.

What the fuck is the point in retaining an empty pistol mag in the middle of a fight, when you could already be reloaded and shooting again.

What a bunch of fags.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:12:41 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
If (and its a big IF)they work 100%, then people in the 3-gun world will find them attractive, even at this price.

Another reason why 3-gun is so gay.  They claim how "real life" it is, but never uses anything that you would use in real life.

I was watching Shooting Gallery a few weeks ago.  They were penalizing the shooter if he dropped his spent pistol mag and didn't retain it, when they should be penalizing him for retaining it.

What the fuck is the point in retaining an empty pistol mag in the middle of a fight, when you could already be reloaded and shooting again.

What a bunch of fags.

keke
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 10:44:41 PM EDT
[#6]
YEAH one and a half mags for the price of ten!!!   At that price if it wasn't flawless I'ld want to drive out to the company and choke someone out with it.

What a deal.  That was really my first honest thought when I saw the ad.  DPMS should have made a die and actually stamp these with a one piece body and sell them for $20 $25 tops.  

Get an MWG 90 round drum.  90 rds for 129 dollars and it will still lock the bolt to the rear.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 10:53:15 PM EDT
[#7]
...not for $8.95 would I buy that POS.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 12:29:24 AM EDT
[#8]
WTF?

Just get a mag cinch and run 60 rounds!
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 2:03:48 AM EDT
[#9]
How can even put that picture in there ad. what do they think we are morons....
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 2:27:11 PM EDT
[#10]
They look like D&H mags, they have the month/year stamp on the body in the same spot as D&H.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 2:30:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 2:57:20 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
USGI?  I think not.

And there is a reason, USGI are 30rd max, it is called first and formost reliabilty.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 5:18:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Another example of DPMS's ride to the top of AR makers.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 12:24:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:57:30 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Dont do much Military training do you? You always retain your mags. Why do you think they have those drop leg dump pouches, or you throw them down your shirt? While there might be new mags with your ammo, their probably wont be.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 1:03:38 AM EDT
[#16]
I've heard some calls for reliable drum mags from the crowd that needs to break contact and get off the X, so to speak, but they are the only ones that seem to want more than 30 rounds.  At least in the educated crowd.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:28:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:22:28 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dont do much Military training do you? You always retain your mags. Why do you think they have those drop leg dump pouches, or you throw them down your shirt? While there might be new mags with your ammo, their probably wont be.

I already know this so you are not going to get me.  

This was not a military situation.  It was a police shootout.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:53:07 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Another reason why 3-gun is so gay.  

You obviously know very little about 3 gun competition. Either that, or you got your butt kicked at the range by a "D" class 3 gunner at some point...
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:05:38 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Another reason why 3-gun is so gay.  

You obviously know very little about 3 gun competition. Either that, or you got your butt kicked at the range by a "D" class 3 gunner at some point...

Ok smartass, why don't you tell me how 3 gun is so real then.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:13:24 PM EDT
[#21]
A fellow shooter of mine bought one.  First time out with that mag his AR-180b ran like a one legged dog.  Same results in my LE6920.  Stay away  !
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 11:32:04 AM EDT
[#22]
3 gun is a game, and way better than a round of golf.  Pissing on the shooting sports is the same as pissing on your own legs.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 11:42:54 AM EDT
[#23]
The 3 gun games must have some relevance, I personally know several of the top competitors that routinely train the US military and police.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:42:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Are you sure they were dropping empty mags?  In IPDA it's a fault if you drop any mag that has rounds in it.  Either way, 3 gun matches are a blast and a great excuse to run through some cool courses.  
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 2:26:32 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
3 gun is a game, and way better than a round of golf.  Pissing on the shooting sports is the same as pissing on your own legs.

+1. As long as you don't pick up bad habits, its fun and trigger time. IDPA also has its faults, but again as long as no bad habits are acquired, its trigger time and reasonably good practice. I stop shooting SASS matches (Coyboy Action for those that don't know what SASS is) , when I started to try and thumb-cock my 1911 in an IDPA match.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:05:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:25:29 AM EDT
[#27]
GACK! $90?!?!?! No thanks hock.gif
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 12:33:36 PM EDT
[#28]
That wasn't true 3-gun, That was some kind of Police, Military games. I shoot alot of 3-gun including the DPMS Tri-gun challenge every year with a prize table close to $200,000 for about 180 competitors to split. 3-gun is not like IDPA style for the dropped mag issue.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 9:51:07 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wouldn't say always....but it is better to have them and not need them than to not have them and need them.  If you're executing an emergency reload you're probably not going to worry about where that empty mag goes - your only concern will be getting your rig back into the fight and pressing forward.  If you have a lull and have the opportunity to do a tactical reload and retain your mag, so be it.  No every method of doing a reload works for all situations.....that's why we train.  Well, at least some of us.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top