Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/4/2006 4:28:39 AM EDT
what is the purpose of the big plastic plate with loop on it?

Why does it exist?  what was wrong with regular plates?

Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:07:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Like the original "Magpulls"; to ease of removal, assumedly under stress, of the magazine from the magazine storage device ie. pouch, chest carrier , etc.  While the original Magpulls had the loop oriented parrallel to the round in the magazine, requiring the operators/shooters finger to be inserted inside the loop, the new "Ranger plate" allows 2 directions; 1 in line w/ the rounds by grasping the magazine w/ 2 fingers 1 on each side of the tab, and across the direction of the round, by inserting 1 finger inside the loop.  Both methods allowing the end user to carry the magazines in question in whichever type Mag. carrier he/she should choose.  GI style w/ the rounds oriented facing away from the user or chest carrier style w/ the rounds parrallel to the body facing L to R, R to L, twd the center line or "Gig-Line" of the body.

BTW-  As much as many of us like and use them, and as much as they may decrease our own individual reload times, they are only truely appreciated after seeing Richard Fitzpatrick of Magpul execute a tactical reload from a mag carrier using his products.  His relaods are lightning fast and incredibly well practised.  Truely a sight to see and goal to strive for.

/S2
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:24:59 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I don't get ANY of the silly accessories that MagPul makes.  I'm stunned at what people will buy for their ARs.

Nothing is wrong with the regular plates.
MagPul is MASTERFUL at creating a perception that there's a need for their plastic stuff.  I commend them.  This is America.  Go for it.  But they aren't getting any of my money for their nonsense!
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:41:27 AM EDT
[#3]
"I don't get ANY of the silly accessories that MagPul makes.  I'm stunned at what people will buy for their ARs."

Wow, markm you are about to be burned at the stake for blasphemy.  You will be condemmed by the church of Magpul and spend the rest of eternity watching green followers being jammed by pencils and screwdrivers.  From your spot in Hell you will see the earth rotate not around the sun but yes a magpul follower and ye will know the truth that there is but one God.

Seriously, I think their stuff is better but the idea that it is "must have" and "everything else is junk" is a little too much....."But if your life depends on your equiptment"......how many times have I heard this??  Probably less that 1% of people on this forum have ever carrieds a weapon in a situation where their life was in danger.  Most own them for recreation like a set of golf clubs.  People should buy what they want but they don't need to be shoved down our throats.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:48:26 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Wow, markm you are about to be burned at the stake for blasphemy.  You will be condemmed by the church of Magpul and spend the rest of eternity watching green followers being jammed by pencils and screwdrivers.

I know!  I know!  But anyone sticking pencils and such in their mags need a Three Stooges slapping!
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:48:02 AM EDT
[#5]
I really like them when shooting without a bipod and using the magazine as a monopod.

Link Posted: 3/4/2006 12:47:30 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Magpul%20Ranger%20plate.jpg

You will appear to be more of the HSLD, tactical, TEOTWAKI, SHTF-type of guy to the other bobbleheads at the range.  They will thoroughly be impressed and the cost of Magpul and other "tactical" ad-ons will suddenly be well worth it.   At least that's my observation.  

Do you get it now?  
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 2:06:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 2:09:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 2:10:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 2:31:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 3:03:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 3:35:27 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I really like them when shooting without a bipod and using the magazine as a monopod.

www.pbase.com/edwin907/image/54976995/original.jpg

That was one of the reasons for the Ranger shape.

Thanks for posting here, Richard, and many thanks for the quick reply to my email on the PRS stock QD sling release plate, which many of us are waiting for.

The overwhelming majority (99.9%) of AR fans I have communicated with think your products and your company sets the standard by which others should be judged, and we appreciate it!

Edwin

p.s. Give our buddy Kasey at Accushot a nudge to get his PRS specific monopod on the market.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 4:01:23 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
"I don't get ANY of the silly accessories that MagPul makes.  I'm stunned at what people will buy for their ARs."

Wow, markm you are about to be burned at the stake for blasphemy.  You will be condemmed by the church of Magpul and spend the rest of eternity watching green followers being jammed by pencils and screwdrivers.  From your spot in Hell you will see the earth rotate not around the sun but yes a magpul follower and ye will know the truth that there is but one God.

Seriously, I think their stuff is better but the idea that it is "must have" and "everything else is junk" is a little too much....."But if your life depends on your equiptment"......how many times have I heard this??  Probably less that 1% of people on this forum have ever carrieds a weapon in a situation where their life was in danger.  Most own them for recreation like a set of golf clubs.  People should buy what they want but they don't need to be shoved down our throats.

I know we never have used any statements such as "must have" and "everything else is junk" and "But if your life depends on your equiptment", as marketing or stated in a post such as this.

We also do not denagrate those who sell gear that selss directly against us. At our booth in the Shot Show we have a standing rule that no negitive comments will be made by our staff regarding anyones elses product. This doesn't stop us from pointing out technical details like something is longer or shorter but we leave it up to the customer to decide if this information matters to them.

Our standing rule is use what works for you. If you think our products suck or do not fill the requirement you expected then send them back to us and get your money refunded. This is how we have built our business and will continue to do so.

Sorry if you misunderstood.  I wasn't refering to your marketing in anyway nor was I accusing you guys at Magpul of ANYTHING.  I was just commenting on the general attitude of some on this forum that everything having to do with a black rifle is "life and death" and "only the best will do" and I was truly trying to make my point in a funny and light hearted way but some people around here take things a bit too seriously, but everyone has a right to spend their money as they see fit.   I think you make some very clever products and hope you are successful and continue to be innovative and sell millions of productsl
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:22:01 PM EDT
[#14]
From my standpoint, I bought some Ranger Plates to try them out after seeing Richard jumping in here and elsewhere to offer his thoughts and ideas.  Running a multi-million dollar business isn't easy, and to take time out of the day to speak with ordinary joes like frequent these boards....well, that's just being neighborly and should be supported.  Putting good vibrations out into the world is never a bad thing!

Do I need Ranger Plates?  Nope, not one bit.  Do they serve any purpose for me?  Not unless the protect the mag when I accidentally drop it on the deck.  Was it a good purchase?  Well, I can honestly say that I did get my money's worth.  What more could I ask for?

I've heard a lot about the MIAD grip, but I won't be buying one because I don't need it and it doesn't serve any purpose for my shooting style.  If it had a soft rubber overmolding like the hogue grips, I'd be on it like a duck on a junebug!

There are some Lumpy Plates in my future, again because Richard listened to a board member's idea and ran with it.  If anything, the Lumpy Plates serve my needs better than the Ranger Plates.  However, discrimination is illegal according to Federal Law and I feel compelled to abide by that regulation and welcome both into my home with open arms.

My next mag purchase will be a Tenpack from 44mag or Bravo Co.  There's a very good chance that said magazines will come with MP followers.  For the cost, there's really no reason to not.

I guess, all said and done, I'm buying Magpul because Magpul talks to me when I inquire.  I'm not a SEAL or the like, but I'd still like to think I'm somewhat worth listening to.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:19:22 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
You will appear to be more of the HSLD, tactical, TEOTWAKI, SHTF-type of guy to the other bobbleheads at the range.  They will thoroughly be impressed and the cost of Magpul and other "tactical" ad-ons will suddenly be well worth it.   At least that's my observation.  

EXACTLY!!!

"Look at me Syndrome" is what one of my instructors calls it.  I will concede that Magpul has one non-frill item in their line.  The buttstock with the adjustable L.O.P. and COMB is actually functional for the precision shooting crowd.  Although I've never seen one, I'm assuming it's a quality unit.

w00t!
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:22:05 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
We build items that are based upon our way of thinking and they often do not jive with other peoples thinking, like MarkM. This doesn't mean he is wrong he just thinks different than we do.

Mark is special, but we still love him
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 3:51:37 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I don't get ANY of the silly accessories that MagPul makes.  I'm stunned at what people will buy for their ARs.

Completely agree, manufacturers charge these rediculous prices for Ar trinkets cause AR owners will pay.  Arfcommers are defenitely a different breed, very clique-ish.

Wish I had come up with Magpul's line, or one of the many others making a killing here.  
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:35:13 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
You will appear to be more of the HSLD, tactical, TEOTWAKI, SHTF-type of guy to the other bobbleheads at the range. They will thoroughly be impressed and the cost of Magpul and other "tactical" ad-ons will suddenly be well worth it. At least that's my observation.

EXACTLY!!!

"Look at me Syndrome" is what one of my instructors calls it. I will concede that Magpul has one non-frill item in their line. The buttstock with the adjustable L.O.P. and COMB is actually functional for the precision shooting crowd. Although I've never seen one, I'm assuming it's a quality unit.

w00t!

Both of you sound a little jealous  maybe if you spent more time at the range practicing instead of checking out all the other guys and their gear you would feel better about yourself's........
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:02:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:45:45 AM EDT
[#20]
I have never seen such a collection of meatheads in my entire life!  I dare postulate that anyone that cannot see the utility of Magpul's products is someone that has never used the AR series of rifles for anything other than digging holes in the berm.  If any of you naysayers had spent even one minute in the service of your country using a rifle as a tool to kill people that are trying to kill you, you wouldn't be so quick to cast doubt on the usefulness of Rich's products.  While I'm sure a lot of his customers are hobby shooters like yourselves, I'm willing to bet that his product line was built around our professional soldiers and law enforcement officers.  As such, they aren't always going to be a useful product for the wannabe weekend warrior.

Please get a clue and don't open your suck without engaging your brain first.

Stephen
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 11:20:00 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Thanks for posting here, Richard, and many thanks for the quick reply to my email on the PRS stock QD sling release plate, which many of us are waiting for.

The overwhelming majority (99.9%) of AR fans I have communicated with think your products and your company sets the standard by which others should be judged, and we appreciate it!

Edwin

p.s. Give our buddy Kasey at Accushot a nudge to get his PRS specific monopod on the market.

Edwin if you don't mind me asking (pm the answer if you need to), what was the response to a QD sling release plate for the PRS? I was working on shooting positions and my Turner AWS was in dire need of moving in a couple instances, and I had thought of writing Magpul yesterday to ask that very question IRT a QD plate for the PRS stock.

And yes, I am patiently waiting on an Accushot PRS ready monopod too!

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 11:28:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 11:36:01 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
When I read people bad mouth Ranger plates (for instance), I  instantly know  two things about them. First, is that they have never dropped a mag on concrete and watched it separate. Second that they don't take training classes or shoot 3 gun and they don't wear some sort of chest rig (or other apparatus to hold their mags). If they did, they would realize how much easier it is to pull a mag out of a tight pouch and to do tac reloads.

Shooting off a bench is all well and good, but when actually start to run and gun, you will realize that a lot the things you made fun of are actually pretty good kit.
C4

+1

Any of you ever been doing "SPORTS" and smacked the mag hard and had it seperate while fully loaded and in the magwell? That instance alone, of having 20-30 rounds, a spring and a follower dropping at your feet will justify locking Ranger and L-Plates when it happens to you, let along the other positives.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 12:47:53 PM EDT
[#24]
While I don't buy everything Magpul makes, and I've even cursed them for not answering an email or two, Rich does know a little about what works and where things can be improved. Look at his CV. Making it through Parris Island in hard enough, let alone becoming a Recon Marine. Never met the man but I choose to believe his motive has plenty of concern for function combined with entrepreneurship rather than selling snake oil.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:22:12 PM EDT
[#25]

I have never seen such a collection of meatheads in my entire life! I dare postulate that anyone that cannot see the utility of Magpul's products is someone that has never used the AR series of rifles for anything other than digging holes in the berm. If any of you naysayers had spent even one minute in the service of your country using a rifle as a tool to kill people that are trying to kill you, you wouldn't be so quick to cast doubt on the usefulness of Rich's products. While I'm sure a lot of his customers are hobby shooters like yourselves, I'm willing to bet that his product line was built around our professional soldiers and law enforcement officers. As such, they aren't always going to be a useful product for the wannabe weekend warrior.

Please get a clue and don't open your suck without engaging your brain first.

Stephen

Ahhh Stephen.... your like Hallmark... you always have just the right sentiment.......
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:59:19 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm not a Kool-Aid drinker by any means. I can't stand the M93 line; I find them uncomfortable to use when shooting for an extended period. I am eagerly awaiting the CTR stock, however.

However, I find the original magpuls to fit the bill for my needs. As for ranger plates? Who knows they might work as well or better for me. Maybe one day I'll find out.

The MIAD is quite simply the best pistol grip I've tried, and I've tried many, A1, A2, Ergo, Tango Down, G-27, Hogue, etc.

Ever drop a partial mag and have the rounds get stuck with green followers? I have, and I wasn't even shooting. I was loading a mag, dropped it and had rounds nose dive. Freak occurance? Maybe, but I have only a couple of 30 round mags. So the Magpul followers were worth it.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:08:15 PM EDT
[#27]
thanks guys. I get it now.  Its all about speed reloading.

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:15:39 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
thanks guys. I get it now.  Its all about speed reloading.

Thanks

But be on guard-a bunch of people will STILL say "you gotta have them, plus this, that and this other thing in case "teh zombeez" come to town.  And then there are others who make MarkM's strong wording look sweet and pretty, who will say anyone who uses such tactical enhancements, whether in a real tactical situation or not is a pansy who deserves to shoot himself in the foot or worse.  That's what the guy meant by "cliquish."  Bunches of cliques here, with a lot of really "interesting" points of view.

I don't need tactical aids anymore-I retired last year.  But knowing about them and what they're for is good for anyone.  And if I were in the sandbox wearing gloves all the time, I'd want something reliable to give me a grip on my mags when I really needed them; Magpul Ranger Plates sound like a great way to go there.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:55:39 AM EDT
[#29]
I have no need for Magpuls, or most of the uber-tactical accessories available for the AR. It is nice to know that there is a ton of things out there that if I wanted to go nuts buying accessories I have many choices.

I do have a Magpul MIAD grip that I think is the greatest thing since sliced bread.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:36:28 AM EDT
[#30]
Well, I have to say, that I did not used to shoot 3 gun.

Now that I have moved from communist controlled IL to GA, I shoot 3 gun.

I have had followers jam up, and I have dropped mags on the ground, and watched them dent not explode.

I have replaced ALL my followers with the GRAY Gen II Mag Pulls  (Not sure why ANYONE would want the ORANGE ones, and have tried the Ranger Plates.

I will be buying MORE ranger plates for sure!

And I will be buying them from 44mag.com!

This is a great board, and has invaluable advice.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 10:40:26 PM EDT
[#31]
I like the original Mag Pul, I've found that using an original mag pull on both mags in a pouch can cause both mags to come out when trying to remove one  because of the friction of the pulls against one another. By only using one mag pull per pouch or using the pulls on every other mag for mags stored in a can or 6 mag pouches the problem is eliminated. The ranger plates do not have this problem since they do not extend past the sides of the mags, they just drive up the cost of mags a bit more than I'm willing to pay. I only need one mag pul for every two mags I buy using the originals wich are only half the cost of the rangers to begin with.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:41:01 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
When I read people bad mouth Ranger plates (for instance), I  instantly know  two things about them. First, is that they have never dropped a mag on concrete and watched it separate. Second that they don't take training classes or shoot 3 gun and they don't wear some sort of chest rig (or other apparatus to hold their mags). If they did, they would realize how much easier it is to pull a mag out of a tight pouch and to do tac reloads.

Shooting off a bench is all well and good, but when actually start to run and gun, you will realize that a lot the things you made fun of are actually pretty good kit.

C4

I am not a high speed operator or anything of the sort, but I am into this as a sport and a hobby, and as such have found that some pieces of kit that I do not understand probably do not apply to me, or I haven't yet done enough research to decide which side of the fence I am sitting. Having said that, just because I do not understand a piece of kit, does not mean that for someone (not necessarily myself) it does not have purpose......

What C4 said: After I had 2 FN mags dropped on concrete and watched as they "spontaneously disassembled" themselves in a most spectacular fashion (they were both not repairable)..... my Ranger plates are on the way now..... They do serve a purpose other than being the "GQ" thing to have...... btw: they are also useful for high speed mag changes....

As for what Rich said earlier about "lines of thought"  (Magpul Quote: "We build items that are based upon our way of thinking and they often do not jive with other peoples thinking, like MarkM. This doesn't mean he is wrong he just thinks different than we do.")..... I quite agree and will add nor detract from his posting......

Link Posted: 5/6/2006 8:31:57 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I, too, am awaiting the the release of both these products.  Is there a particular thread or mailing list I might be added to for contact once either of these products becomes available?
Link Posted: 5/6/2006 8:57:44 AM EDT
[#34]
What I don't understand is anyone here telling anyone that they dont need things like mag pulls, etc.  That is the antigun and hunting only lobbies' mantra about our weapons.  If you have a real review of a true verified negative of a product that someone wants or a person says "I'll be using a gun for this, do I need this", then tell them about it, if not STFU...

TS
Link Posted: 5/6/2006 9:41:16 AM EDT
[#35]
holy bump batman!

this thread "was" dead.
Link Posted: 5/10/2006 7:55:37 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

C4

I am not a high speed operator or anything of the sort, but I am into this as a sport and a hobby, and as such have found that some pieces of kit that I do not understand probably do not apply to me, or I haven't yet done enough research to decide which side of the fence I am sitting. Having said that, just because I do not understand a piece of kit, does not mean that for someone (not necessarily myself) it does not have purpose......

What C4 said: After I had 2 FN mags dropped on concrete and watched as they "spontaneously disassembled" themselves in a most spectacular fashion (they were both not repairable)..... my Ranger plates are on the way now..... They do serve a purpose other than being the "GQ" thing to have...... btw: they are also useful for high speed mag changes....

As for what Rich said earlier about "lines of thought"  (Magpul Quote: "We build items that are based upon our way of thinking and they often do not jive with other peoples thinking, like MarkM. This doesn't mean he is wrong he just thinks different than we do.")..... I quite agree and will add nor detract from his posting......

Hell,  I'm just a keyboard commando, but I've also had the pleasure of dropping a mag on concrete and watching it explode in a shower of parts.  They're probably not worth it in the long run for me, but if I were an pro, I'd have Ranger plate or Lumpy plates too.
Link Posted: 5/10/2006 8:04:35 AM EDT
[#37]
I was a recently converted.

Didn't own any, didn't care for them. Didn't understand them.

Ran them on my mags for a carbine section of training....now I understand.

Pulling mags, tac reloads, dropping them, shooting proned were some of the most advantageous characteristics of the ranger plate
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top