BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/26/2007 4:45:02 PM EDT
Sounds like they are about ready to ship with a price of about $15 each or a few dollars more for one with a window in it.  As I understand them they are 30 rounders, plastic, designed not to replace USGI or endure the conditions the USGI are used under.  These are suppose to be better than the Orlites or Thermolds.  My question is why would anyone want a plastic mag that costs $5 more than a USGI?
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 4:57:31 PM EDT
[#1]
not I,  GI is good enough for me.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 5:31:57 PM EDT
[#2]
You must not have watched the PMAG video.  The pickup truck burning rubber on top of the mags was too funny.  The poor GI mags didn't hold up too well, nor did the stainless and the HK mags.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 5:41:07 PM EDT
[#3]
As was mentioned on another forum, after the truck went over the mags and generally abused the heck out of them, Magpul did not even try to cycle or insert their mags into an AR nor would they fire a loaded magazine in an AR.  There also was no mention of how the abused mags were selected.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 5:47:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 6:10:40 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
not I,  GI is good enough for me.

+1
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 6:36:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Here is what I want to see:   A group buy on them !  Let do the group buy before they are quite ready to be produced... then we can bitch about them the whole we are waiting for them... then bitch even more when we get them !  
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 6:43:34 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
As was mentioned on another forum, after the truck went over the mags and generally abused the heck out of them, Magpul did not even try to cycle or insert their mags into an AR nor would they fire a loaded magazine in an AR.  There also was no mention of how the abused mags were selected.

Take another look at that video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCFXcOOb4jc

At the end of the vid, after the test, they take the same mag - now loaded - repeatedly insert and eject it from a rifle, and then manually cycled all cartridges in the mag thru the rifle until the mag was empty and the bolt latched back.

I'm guessing all of this was done at their plant and offices without immediate range access.

I'll probably buy a few just to check them out myself.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 7:08:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I'll get one or two just for shits and giggles but I'll take a USGI over one everytime
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 7:40:45 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Here is what I want to see:   A group buy on them !  Let do the group buy before they are quite ready to be produced... then we can bitch about them the whole we are waiting for them... then bitch even more when we get them !  

I'm betting that the fit, function, and finish of the PMAG will be up to snuff.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 7:52:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 8:00:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 8:09:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 8:11:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 8:13:26 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Zippy,  just for info, the post above this one has a link to the video.  If you take a look at it you'll see that at the end, the weapon is hand cycled with dummy rounds in the mag, drops free and lock the bolt to the rear.  Oh, this hole test developed during a day dream at the office.  We would have liked to shoot the mag buuuuuut. we were at the office.  So, today we went out to the range and shot the Chevy mag.  Ran fine, got video, post it up for you later Zippy.  

The selection prosses for the mag was complicated. I walked over to the high-tec filing cabinet in my office.  I dug around through the paperwork until I was able to find a mag, a USGI mag.  Then I went to the back of the shop and found some other brand name mags in a box full of old SHOT show stuff. I then grabbed a mag from the safe.  It's the only place we keep the real expensive ones.

Then I took them out in the parking lot and ran them over while my co-worker filmed it.

Quoted:

I for one loved the video...maybe we should abuse the fuck out of a PMAG and function test it up zippy's...ahhh n/m

he probably just doesn't like it when something is tried and proven yet new to the market.  I'll be ordering a few.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 8:27:09 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
non-window $15
window        $18
What will retail price be for the non-window version?

$15?

What happened to $12?
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 8:36:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 8:44:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Estimated retail price will be $11.95...

Well, I suppose I'll pick up a couple, instead of a couple dozen...
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 8:46:47 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
non-window $15
window        $18

$15?

What happened to $12?

They can make more money selling them for $15.  

-X
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 8:47:26 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
non-window $15
window        $18

$15?

What happened to $12?

-X

Not from me!
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 8:48:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 8:48:44 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Estimated retail price will be $11.95...

Well, I suppose I'll pick up a couple, instead of a couple dozen...

blah it's not worth it...if you were bad mouthing Magpul about being "off" on their estimate

Link Posted: 2/26/2007 8:49:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 8:51:28 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
You'd be suprised.  The mill work alone on the mold cost more than a new Hummer, paid in full, cash.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
non-window $15
window        $18

$15?

What happened to $12?

-X

I'm sure you've already made that back or will be making that back shortly...besides it'll be incentive to get the Masada running in full production....you figure you sell 500 of these at $1000 a pop....you're GTG for a base hummer
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 8:54:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 8:56:34 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Not even close yet.....we haven't sold a single one.  

Quoted:

Quoted:
You'd be suprised.  The mill work alone on the mold cost more than a new Hummer, paid in full, cash.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
non-window $15
window        $18

$15?

What happened to $12?

-X

I'm sure you've already made that back or will be making that back shortly...besides it'll be incentive to get the Masada running in full production....you figure you sell 500 of these at $1000 a pop....you're GTG for a base hummer

I'm speaking in the sense that you've possibly made your money back on other items you guys sell

Anyways I gtg to bed...been nice talkin w/ ya
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 9:49:58 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
non-window $15
window        $18

$15?

What happened to $12?

-X

$15   seems  like a fair price to me  !
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 10:36:11 PM EDT
[#27]
These are going to look tits in any of the new whiz bang guns...Sig 556, XCR, Masada or even a LWRC.

That vid speaks volumes....
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 11:31:39 PM EDT
[#28]
I like the looks of these.

I just hope MagPul sells the spare covers for these cheap. Without the cover, it's not smart to store these loaded. And I see myself loosing covers on a regular basis.

I was pretty impressed with the HK's performance in the vid too.

It's obviously not as tough as the PMag, but it looked better than the rest.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 5:01:53 AM EDT
[#29]
I enjoyed the video and the mags seem to be quite durable but for some reason when they are hand cycling the AR at the end of the video I cannot see the dummy rounds being ejected.  If you say they are, OK but the question remains, "Why would anyone spend the extra bucks for the mag over a USGI one?" The USGI's have quite a long history with a very low failure rate and with the addition of your excellent follower they are just superb.

I think that a bunch of testing, and publicity, of the Pmag in the heat and cold along side the USGI ones and the eventual award of an NSN and sales to the military would be a quite compelling argument.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 5:27:47 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I enjoyed the video and the mags seem to be quite durable but for some reason when they are hand cycling the AR at the end of the video I cannot see the dummy rounds being ejected.  

I thought the same thing when I first watched the video BUT when the camera angle changes you can see the rounds flying out against the background of the guys shirt...
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 5:53:41 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I enjoyed the video and the mags seem to be quite durable but for some reason when they are hand cycling the AR at the end of the video I cannot see the dummy rounds being ejected.  

I thought the same thing when I first watched the video BUT when the camera angle changes you can see the rounds flying out against the background of the guys shirt...

+1

I saw about the last 4 or 5 rounds flying out.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 6:26:55 AM EDT
[#32]
H1 or H2?

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
non-window $15
window        $18

$15?

What happened to $12?

-X
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 6:33:51 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
snip/ My question is why would anyone want a plastic mag that costs $5 more than a USGI?

IMO, that's a very fair question.

CProducts dry lube are still 9.95

NHMTG GI are 10.95

I liked these mags at 11.95 and had every intention of picking up 10 or so.

At $15 I just can't see spending the extra cash for a plastic mag.

Although the truck video was very impressive (who'd have thought the HK SS wouldn't have held up?) I still haven't seen prolonged testing of the mag in a weapon.

What happens to plastic feed lips after they've been grazed by a hot bolt and carrier 1,000 times?

On my GI mags, there's obvious finish wear, but the feed lips maintain their integrity.

I realize there's a skeptic in every bunch and I'm proving that adage, but some things I've got to see to believe.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 7:42:14 AM EDT
[#34]
Provided they're as good as they seem $15 versus $12 is a negligible difference of only $3 for a quality product.  Not enough to deter me from purchasing.

Though, this comment concerns me a bit:

height=8
I just hope MagPul sells the spare covers for these cheap. Without the cover, it's not smart to store these loaded.

Can someone explain why this mag would not hold up well being stored loaded?  Are the materials inferior in some way?  Construction/design not up to the task of maintaining integrity under a full load?

After handling the alluminim mags, which feel like you can crush them like a beer can… these PMags appear leaps and bounds above the rest.  Where am I wrong here?
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 9:16:29 AM EDT
[#35]
I am going to order some and beat'em up, see how they run.  

$15 is cheap compared to what we had to pay during the stupid ban...and damned cheap compared to the HK mags.  I hear good things about the Brownell's mag...any experiences?
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 9:54:36 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:
snip/ My question is why would anyone want a plastic mag that costs $5 more than a USGI?

NHMTG GI are 10.95

Although the truck video was very impressive (who'd have thought the HK SS wouldn't have held up?) I still haven't seen prolonged testing of the mag in a weapon.

What happens to plastic feed lips after they've been grazed by a hot bolt and carrier 1,000 times?

On my GI mags, there's obvious finish wear, but the feed lips maintain their integrity.

I realize there's a skeptic in every bunch and I'm proving that adage, but some things I've got to see to believe.

please tell me where to get NHMTG  mags for $10.95
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 10:21:42 AM EDT
[#37]
Well, I don't know what NHMTG stands for but there are these that I know of...

Shazam!
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 10:37:15 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Shazam!

Sold out, not taking backorders, and not expected to get any more.....
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 10:37:47 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

NHMTG GI are 10.95

please tell me where to get NHMTG  mags for $10.95

I've picked them up at CDNN for that price in the recent past.  Thus far, they are the cheapest vendor for NHMTG mags I have found.  Locally they are available for 12 bucks and change.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 10:38:09 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Provided they're as good as they seem $15 versus $12 is a negligible difference of only $3 for a quality product.  Not enough to deter me from purchasing.

Though, this comment concerns me a bit:

I just hope MagPul sells the spare covers for these cheap. Without the cover, it's not smart to store these loaded.

Can someone explain why this mag would not hold up well being stored loaded?  Are the materials inferior in some way?  Construction/design not up to the task of maintaining integrity under a full load?

After handling the alluminim mags, which feel like you can crush them like a beer can… these PMags appear leaps and bounds above the rest.  Where am I wrong here?

Nothing inferior about it. Any poly mag will have feed lip problems if the left with the force of loaded rounds against it indefinitely. MagPul has gotten around this by designing a snap over cover that depresses the loaded rounds enough to take the tension off the feed lips completely. Without such a feature, no mag with poly feed lips can be relied upon if left loaded long term. As long as you can replace the snap on cover, the one potential problem with these mags is taken care of.

And these mags can't rust. I've had Colt aluminum 20 round mags have the floor plate fall completely off when the rivet holding the floorplate retension spring rusted through the wall of the mag and fell out.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 10:40:19 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Shazam!

NHMTG is O-Kay industries, a subcontractor for colt.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 12:07:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 12:12:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Does the Pmag use the same springs and followers as regular magazines?

Link Posted: 2/27/2007 12:20:55 PM EDT
[#44]
damn the costs - full PMAG ahead!!!  
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 12:27:38 PM EDT
[#45]
height=8
Nothing inferior about it. Any poly mag will have feed lip problems if the left with the force of loaded rounds against it indefinitely. MagPul has gotten around this by designing a snap over cover that depresses the loaded rounds enough to take the tension off the feed lips completely. Without such a feature, no mag with poly feed lips can be relied upon if left loaded long term. As long as you can replace the snap on cover, the one potential problem with these mags is taken care of.

Thanks for the insight.  I wasn't aware that poly feed lips were a liability if left burdened with the full load.  I suppose in a way the material is inferior in that respect.

It would be nice of Magpul would come out with a Steel Lips model (similar to Butler Creek's Hot Lips versus Steel Lips 10/22 magazines).

Do you feel that a loaded Pmag left in a rifle would be subject to the same stress problems or does the closed bolt take enough pressure off of the lips to ensure a loaded mag can remain in a rifle with the action closed?
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 12:33:51 PM EDT
[#46]

Hello Magpul,

What is the highest number of rounds you have put through one PMAG?

Do you have a life expectancy of the PMAG?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 12:36:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 12:42:36 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for the insight.  I wasn't aware that poly feed lips were a liability if left burdened with the full load.  I suppose in a way the material is inferior in that respect.

It would be nice of Magpul would come out with a Steel Lips model (similar to Butler Creek's Hot Lips versus Steel Lips 10/22 magazines).

Do you feel that a loaded Pmag left in a rifle would be subject to the same stress problems or does the closed bolt take enough pressure off of the lips to ensure a loaded mag can remain in a rifle with the action closed?

All polymers creep over time when put under a constant load (even ALU creeps over a longer period of time). Our polymer is better than most in this aspect but the cover is there for long term storage (months/years) we have had some mags loaded for about over a month with no chage in the feed lip area. More information on this as we move through the testing.

The round count on the lips are still being decided. We have magas with round counts in the 1000s abd one military tester has over 6000 rounds through one mag with no wear related issues.

That is all I needed to know. Although, once you have decided the approximate round count, please pass the information our way.

Thanks for keeping on time and not making promises you can't keep. I can't wait to try some PMAGs out, thanks!
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 2:30:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 2:31:21 PM EDT
[#50]
height=8
Quoted:
All polymers creep over time when put under a constant load (even ALU creeps over a longer period of time). Our polymer is better than most in this aspect but the cover is there for long term storage (months/years) we have had some mags loaded for about over a month with no chage in the feed lip area. More information on this as we move through the testing.

I apologize.  I didn't mean for my comment to imply that Magpul's polymer was in any way inferior to other polymers.  I understood the discussion to be about all polymers.

Has Magpul entertained the idea of introducing steel feed lips to the design?  I understand this would increase the cost, but for a magazine as tough as the Pmag, with the added durability of steel feed lips... I'm sure there are plenty who'd pay the premium.

Also can you advise if loaded Pmags left in a rifle will stress the lips, or does the closed action take enough pressure off of the lips?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top