Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/5/2008 8:23:26 PM EDT
When shooting from a bench or bipod, I dislike a 30rd mag hanging below.  So I set out to make myself a BR mag.  Since I had an old P-Mag body laying around, I decided to use it for my project.  It worked out great.  First of all, the polymer these mags are constructed from is Bad-Ass tough.
All in all, I made myself a nice low-cap mag to shoot prone with that fits flush.
Those of you that hunt with AR's, I think these look fantastic.
When finished, it holds 7 rounds with a little extra room.  I am thinking about cutting the follower to up it to 10, but don't really need it yet.  Took me about 1.5 hrs.  Hope you enjoy.
Amish

Tools I used consisted of a file, saw, dremel, and a knife to debur.

Finished product

Link Posted: 6/5/2008 8:39:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 8:42:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 10:39:20 PM EDT
[#3]
The new 20 rounders are good enough for me for that purpose.

That said, I think you did a good job on it... rather bitchin' if I do say so.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 1:38:31 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Kind of with Bystander on this one.

Why chop up a Pmag when one could have just bought a 10rd mag for less.

I will give points for engenuity though.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 12:08:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I think you did a nice job. I agree that the 20's should be short enough for most shooting though.

For hunting (in AZ) you are limited to a 5 round though. Looks like the baseplate would hit the mag well before you could get it that short though.
Link Posted: 6/8/2008 5:22:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Good job

I dont like 30 rounders at my range
but do use alot of my Very very very old 20rd colt mags
Link Posted: 6/8/2008 6:04:04 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Looks like the baseplate would hit the mag well before you could get it that short though.

I've cut a few of these down for friends and you have to remove some of the top of the base plate.

PursuitSS

Link Posted: 6/8/2008 6:25:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Not to change the topic.  But I wish MagPul would have just changed the molds of the PMAG30 to make a 20 round and 10 round PMAG.  I don't like the straight 20rd PMAG's and it seems that they might not be as reliable since the 5.56 round has a taper.  Personally, I like it when a person modifies a great product for their needs.  Such as changing a 30rd PMAG into a 20 or into a bench rest mag.  Great job.  
Link Posted: 6/8/2008 1:40:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Jeesh...

Everybody's cutting down p-mags and thinking that they have created the greatest thing since sliced bread.
Link Posted: 6/8/2008 4:43:10 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Jeesh...

Everybody's cutting down p-mags and thinking that they have created the greatest thing since sliced bread.

My intentions were to make a 5rd. mag, but it ended up being 7rds. I may block it to 5 for State approved magazine.  I wanted the reliability of a P-mag in a smaller capacity.

On a side note, the sliced bread thing is kinda funny.
My father told me the story of how his mother sent him to the store to buy some bread that was already sliced.  Since he had only eaten home made bread his whole life, he opened the bag and started "tasting" it.  By the time he walked home from the store, half the loaf was gone.  He chuckled at the fact the store bought bread tasted so different and how it was already sliced.  Aaaahhh the simpler Amish days.  Some times I miss them.
Link Posted: 6/8/2008 8:26:34 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I don't like the straight 20rd PMAG's and it seems that they might not be as reliable since the 5.56 round has a taper.  

[Lloyd]Harry, they took care if it[/Lloyd]

By the way, nice lookin' work.
Link Posted: 6/9/2008 8:54:25 AM EDT
[#12]
I kind of argee that a 20 round Pmag would have done that job just as well, but...that's kind of cool.  I may have to make a hunting mag out of a first gen 30rnd Pmag I've got laying around.  I mean, why the hell not?
Link Posted: 6/9/2008 4:26:49 PM EDT
[#13]
I think it looks great.....the beauty behind our hobby is the ability to play, modify and change, use your hands to do stuff.....

I cut 30 round Pmags all of the time.....do it for friends, they like the 20 round curved look....

Every Harris Bipod that I buy comes apart, rebuilt with SS parts and cotter keys, why do I do that?  Because I can, it is fun....

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top