Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 21
Posted: 8/2/2021 6:08:20 PM EDT
Hey, Primary Arms - continuing off of the SLX 1x microprism thread here. Any news on that 3x, even a rough ballpark timeline? I'd love to see a worthwhile ~$300 ACOG competitor that actually looks the part.
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 5:37:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By speedracer422:
I've been using the stock cantilever mount without issue, but I've admittedly only ran a few backyard drills and bench shot maybe less than 400ish rds all combined.

I haven't noticed my poi change myself, but I like this optic so much I wanna use it as my go to shtf rifle optic...

What's the link for the better aftermarket mount and/or did PA make any determination on the free one?
View Quote

I believe adm makes a dedicated mount for it now. Alternatively you can use a low mini acog mount with the PA spacers.
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 6:04:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Liaztraht] [#2]
I've been using the stock cantilever mount without issue, but I've admittedly only ran a few backyard drills and bench shot maybe less than 400ish rds all combined.

I haven't noticed my poi change myself, but I like this optic so much I wanna use it as my go to shtf rifle optic...

What's the link for the better aftermarket mount and/or did PA make any determination on the free one?
View Quote
This one is the new ADM
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 6:08:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Liaztraht:
This one is the new ADM
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

This one is the new ADM

Gracias freindo!
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 6:12:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Joedirt199] [#4]
Originally Posted By GreenMushroom:

The Scalarworks mount obscures most of the prism. With the rds it's a little over unity and is a little more usable but the bottom half of the window is obscured. I'm thinking a rds in a unity would probably be the ticket.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/519824/20221212_130314-2633044.jpg
View Quote

The unity has a bridge in between the top hole and the bottom holes through the mount. May just be a pipe dream if the 3x can't really be mounted lower and still get a decent eye relief. Seems most people are mounting them cantilevered to the rear. Thanks for giving it a shot though.
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 6:27:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GreenMushroom] [#5]
Originally Posted By Joedirt199:

The unity has a bridge in between the top hole and the bottom holes through the mount. May just be a pipe dream if the 3x can't really be mounted lower and still get a decent eye relief. Seems most people are mounting them cantilevered to the rear. Thanks for giving it a shot though.
View Quote

Yes. It seems to work with the unity through the sight channel. See other post.

Eta my prism is at 1.5 give or take
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 9:18:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I ordered mine on the 9th and received it today! Bravo to PA for the fast shipping! Looks and feels like a solid piece of equipment. Glass is clear and the recticle looks larger to me in person than in the pictures and videos I have seen. I cant wait to take to the range.
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 9:20:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Liaztraht] [#7]

View All Quotes

How about placing it looking through the dot, like a magnifier? I kid I kid

For me, the wide FOV and tiny housing make shooting both eyes open easy peasy. Not quite BAC, but shifting eye dominance. While I considered a dot in the same way, I don't need  It.
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 9:25:02 PM EDT
[#8]

Gracias freindo!
View All Quotes

This one is the new ADM

Gracias freindo!
No problem!

I'm considering getting one, but I haven't had any issues with the regular B2 base and PA's high cantilever. Mines taken a few good wacks the few times I've slapped it on an airsoft gun and operated operationally mil-sim stile.

Still zeroed perfectly when slapping it back on the lightweight carbine
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 9:26:42 PM EDT
[#9]
I have tried that biden aiming stuff but my dominate eye takes over too much.
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 9:32:55 PM EDT
[#10]
View Quote
For me, when switching targets, the blurred image in the optic causes my eyes to switch which one is focused. As soon as the image clears up they switch back.

But thats also from growing up using 3-9x's on everything for hunting within 100 yards

I'm still looking at options to have a dot without offsetting them, but nothing yet. I practice lefty sometimes, so a right side canted dot won't work.
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 6:42:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By PBurns927:

Care to shed some light on the lens cap solution that you implemented here?  

It looks like you added the ARD to the front of the SLx, and then used Butler Creek scope caps.  If so, what sizes are they?  I've been looking for a more robust solution than the flimsy bikini cover it comes with.
View Quote

butler creek O7 AND O2A are the caps i use
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 6:47:38 AM EDT
[#12]

View Quote

I sent my PA cantilever mount back because they asked to take a look since it wouldn't hold zero. They have since asked for the optic also but id rather not be optic-less and told them to keep the mount. The ADM is still holding perfect zero.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 2:49:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By jamess396:

I sent my PA cantilever mount back because they asked to take a look since it wouldn't hold zero. They have since asked for the optic also but id rather not be optic-less and told them to keep the mount. The ADM is still holding perfect zero.
View Quote

Thanks for the heads up.

I'm gonna try to run some harder drills in the mountains with mine and the stock mount and see how it goes before swapping mounts... maybe you're just a one off or something?

I do have a tendency overtightened stuff though... maybe my shit is TOO solid lol
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 12:08:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Can this be run alone or do you need to run a red dot?
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 12:14:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Maelstrom6:
Can this be run alone or do you need to run a red dot?
View Quote
It can be run alone in the same way an ACOG can be run alone.

For up close shooting, results may vary depending on your eyes and practice. Again, just like with an ACOG.

It works for me, but I grew up hunting with 3-9x scopes in all typical ranges, so I'm used to magnification up close
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 2:08:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for the reply.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 8:43:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Has 3 night vision settings. Glass is serviceable. Eyebox seems good. Daytime illumination isn't quite aimpoint bright but definitely more than "daylight visible". Fit and finish is nice and form factor is excellent. Overall my initial impression is it's an excellent value for the price.

Eta seems to work well with my clip-on. Doesn't feel much different weight and balance wise than a lpvo setup.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/519824/20220311_145147-2309941.jpghttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/519824/20220311_145644-2309942.jpg
View Quote

What brand is your thermal/night vision optic?
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 10:04:42 PM EDT
[#18]
View Quote

In my experience when I try biden aiming the bullets (no matter what brand or quality, to include rounds like M193, M855, black hills 77 grain OTM, etc...) the rounds seem to get confused and either forgot where they are, or try to go get ice cream.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 10:25:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By NewWind:

In my experience when I try biden aiming the bullets (no matter what brand or quality, to include rounds like M193, M855, black hills 77 grain OTM, etc...) the rounds seem to get confused and either forgot where they are, or try to go get ice cream.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 1:43:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Scout1502:

What brand is your thermal/night vision optic?
View Quote

Bering super yoterC
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 1:04:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Interestingly the on this setup the PA sees right through the backup sight channel even with the aperture and post in place. The dot isn't tall enough though and you can only see it in the upper reaches of the window. I'm thinking an aimpoint rds would probably work.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/519824/20221212_124940-2633027.jpg
View Quote

Well I have a holoson 530 that would put the dot higher than the top of the prism body. Also was thinking about using a scope ring with reddot mount top ring so the view through the scope ring would be larger than the sight channel of the unity mount. Would look goofy but could function well.
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 4:43:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Liaztraht] [#22]
TOP MOUNTED DOT WILL FINALLY BE AN OPTION!!!

Addon similar to the offset mount, but 12 O'CLOCK, takes MOS plates.

WORKS ON 3X AND 5X!!!

Attachment Attached File

Potential 90 days-ish release date.

Link Posted: 1/22/2023 4:53:43 PM EDT
[#23]

WORKS ON 3X AND 5X!!!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/504436/20230122_123938_jpg-2681792.JPG

View Quote

Very nice. Are you making this? Iirc the new holosun scs is a direct bolt up and would sit nice and low.
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 4:54:47 PM EDT
[#24]

WORKS ON 3X AND 5X!!!

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/22/2023 4:58:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Liaztraht] [#25]

Very nice. Are you making this? Iirc the new holosun scs is a direct bolt up and would sit nice and low.
View All Quotes

WORKS ON 3X AND 5X!!!

PA is.

Was browsing vids on YouTube, and it recommended an Arfcom channel video from shot show posted around an hour ago. PA dude pulled it out of a backpack after talking about the SLX Nova, 5x micro, and 6x magnifier.

Jump to 16:34
Primary Arms | 6x Magnifier, Offset RDO Mount, 12 O'clock Reflex Mount, and More | SHOTShow 2023

Edit: with this, and the SCS, if they come out with a ring mount (like the PLX mount top cap but on a universal 30mm ring) I'm gonna have to buy two dots. One for the micro, and one for my GLX 2.5-10x
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 5:02:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Liaztraht] [#26]
Originally Posted By alphajaguars:

WORKS ON 3X AND 5X!!!

https://media3.giphy.com/media/BYhoMtJMQsYVy/giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d75h25h9krdo7elvg154x0bhqs3v5v3owq9dwaydqz&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g
My pants don't fit any more

Edit: if they come out with a ring mount for scope tubes like this, I will have to get new pants
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 6:19:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GreenMushroom] [#27]
PA is.

Was browsing vids on YouTube, and it recommended an Arfcom channel video from shot show posted around an hour ago. PA dude pulled it out of a backpack after talking about the SLX Nova, 5x micro, and 6x magnifier.

Jump to 16:34
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qq33Kyu7pHU

Edit: with this, and the SCS, if they come out with a ring mount (like the PLX mount top cap but on a universal 30mm ring) I'm gonna have to buy two dots. One for the micro, and one for my GLX 2.5-10x
View Quote

Looks like the mos plates are pretty thin and the PA mount looks nice and low. I have a dpp thats gonna end up being a spare. Would be sweet with a clip on in front of the prism and dpp at 12 for passive. Hopefully the 12 mount works with any of the spacers since a lot of us are using the cantilever spacers.
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 5:01:32 AM EDT
[#28]
Feels bad to have recently got into the ACOG- I never wanna use anything else but these new prisms make a hell of a lot more sense for 99% of people now that they're gonna offer a top mounted dot option. Well done PA.

ACOG killer
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 8:25:54 PM EDT
[#29]

WORKS ON 3X AND 5X!!!

View Quote

Huzzah! Thats great news. Totally changes the game for these.
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 8:42:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By spydercomonkey:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By spydercomonkey:

WORKS ON 3X AND 5X!!!

Looks like it sits around the optic, and attaches between the riser and optic interface. Should be pretty stable.

Its supposedly so secret, they have to pull it out of a backpack. Only other tuber I saw mention it was Brass Facts, and even then he only alluded to it saying he wasn't sure if he could talk about it
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 1:40:59 AM EDT
[#31]
I am basically going to buy the 5X Prism, the 12 o'clock mount, and the 6X magnifier whenever they are released
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 2:02:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By NewWind:
Feels bad to have recently got into the ACOG- I never wanna use anything else but these new prisms make a hell of a lot more sense for 99% of people now that they're gonna offer a top mounted dot option. Well done PA.

ACOG killer
View Quote

Same, but at least the ACOG still has the nicest glass. I'm sure the SLX glass is serviceable but I'm really a glass snob, especially with higher magnifications. Hopefully they'll do a GLx or PLx version, at least glass wise.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 8:00:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#33]
Originally Posted By Samwali:

Same, but at least the ACOG still has the nicest glass. I'm sure the SLX glass is serviceable but I'm really a glass snob, especially with higher magnifications. Hopefully they'll do a GLx or PLx version, at least glass wise.
View Quote

The 3X Microprism is better than it has any right to be at the price. I’d rate the old prism 40% of the ACOG’s quality. Maybe even less as it really is pretty bad past 150 yards. I’d rate the Microprism at maybe 70%. I think the smaller objective and field of view plays a huge part in that too. It’s literally the first Chinese magnified optic I’ve ever looked through with no 100 yard chromatic abberation. I thought I saw some at around 400 yards but couldn’t get it to replicate so I don’t want to say it has none, just as a safety net.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 9:41:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By -OdieGreen-:

The 3X Microprism is better than it has any right to be at the price. I'd rate the old prism 40% of the ACOG's quality. Maybe even less as it really is pretty bad past 150 yards. I'd rate the Microprism at maybe 70%. I think the smaller objective and field of view plays a huge part in that too. It's literally the first Chinese magnified optic I've ever looked through with no 100 yard chromatic abberation. I thought I saw some at around 400 yards but couldn't get it to replicate so I don't want to say it has none, just as a safety net.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Samwali:

The 3X Microprism is better than it has any right to be at the price. I'd rate the old prism 40% of the ACOG's quality. Maybe even less as it really is pretty bad past 150 yards. I'd rate the Microprism at maybe 70%. I think the smaller objective and field of view plays a huge part in that too. It's literally the first Chinese magnified optic I've ever looked through with no 100 yard chromatic abberation. I thought I saw some at around 400 yards but couldn't get it to replicate so I don't want to say it has none, just as a safety net.
I can agree. 70 percent of the performance for a about 70 percent less.

Damn good value with damn good performance.
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 1:12:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: voyager40] [#35]
Does anyone know of any higher quality crossbolts for the mount? I had one of the bolts shear off leaving a broken piece in the mount so I sent PA an email with pics, order# etc requesting a new mount. I like the mount but don't really trust the crossbolts anymore. What thread pattern are they and are there any higher quality ones I can buy online?

Torqued to 55 inch pounds with blue 242 loctite by the way, the bolt shot out of the mount and hit my ceiling.
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 1:26:08 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By voyager40:
Does anyone know of any higher quality crossbolts for the mount? I had one of the bolts shear off leaving a broken piece in the mount so I sent PA an email with pics, order# etc requesting a new mount. I like the mount but don't really trust the crossbolts anymore. What thread pattern are they and are there any higher quality ones I can buy online?

Torqued to 55 inch pounds with blue 242 loctite by the way, the bolt shot out of the mount and hit my ceiling.
View Quote
Could just be a bad screw. I don't recall if there was a spec posted in this thread, but @PrimaryArms should be able to help.
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 9:21:22 AM EDT
[#37]
Could just be a bad screw. I don't recall if there was a spec posted in this thread, but @PrimaryArms should be able to help.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By voyager40:

Jesus man lol. Their MDX-25 use the same screws. No issues so far.
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 10:27:58 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 1:54:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By PrimaryArms:

50-60 inch pounds is the correct specs, did our customer service team get you taken care of?
View Quote

Yeah they're sending a new mount, thanks.
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 6:09:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Remember wet torque and dry torque are different things as well.  A solid rule of thumb is wet torque values are ~25-30% lower than dry, although I'm not sure which value PA uses.
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 10:56:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: voyager40] [#41]
Originally Posted By NorthPolar:
Remember wet torque and dry torque are different things as well.  A solid rule of thumb is wet torque values are ~25-30% lower than dry, although I'm not sure which value PA uses.
View Quote

That's likely what caused the bolt to break, I just saw a few articles that say to reduce torque by 20-25% when using wet threadlocker as opposed to a clean dry bolt or a bolt with dry/hardened threadlocker already on it.

The scope comes with a little packet of Vibratite VC-3 which is equivalent to blue loctite but VC-3 hardens when exposed to air and you're supposed to put it on the bolt and wait 15-20 minutes for it to harden before installing the bolt. As well all the other bolts included have hardened blue threadlocker on them so the torque specs in the scope manual must be for dry bolts.

Edit: I got the new mount and mounted the scope today(2/13). I didn't want to risk shearing another bolt so I reduced the manual's torque specs by 30% for the smaller bolts that attach the mount to the riser and the mount crossbolts and used 242 liquid threadlocker, just over the 15 mark on my Wheeler FAT wrench for the small bolts and just over 35 for the crossbolts. The manual says 25-30 for the small bolts and 55-60 for the crossbolts. Nothing broke or stripped and it feels solid.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 4:02:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Has anyone used these with NV? How did it work? What mount do / did you use? Anyone tried use something like a Holosun 407/507 pistol red dot as offset? Or does the 3X work fine and offset RDS is not needed? I have been reading for months and not purchased one. I was Eotech / Aimpoint only for years. Now, I need budget options. With the 5X coming, would you wait and do …….?
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 1:31:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By zoe17:
Has anyone used these with NV? How did it work? What mount do / did you use? Anyone tried use something like a Holosun 407/507 pistol red dot as offset? Or does the 3X work fine and offset RDS is not needed? I have been reading for months and not purchased one. I was Eotech / Aimpoint only for years. Now, I need budget options. With the 5X coming, would you wait and do …….?
View Quote

I no longer have NV so can't answer.

But I love the little 3x and will be buying the 5 when available.

Link Posted: 2/18/2023 1:59:50 PM EDT
[#44]
For up close shooting, results may vary depending on your eyes and practice. Again, just like with an ACOG.
View Quote

To be honest, imho it can be run much better for close up both eyes open than an ACOG (at least than the Chevron version).

Less magnification, better eye relief + better ilumination with the big donut.
I have done some super serious operator room clearing stuff in my basement and living room in all lighting conditions as well as a solid amout of dry firing and found no need for a dot whatsoever.
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 2:04:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Baq:

To be honest, imho it can be run much better for close up both eyes open than an ACOG (at least than the Chevron version).

I have done some super serious operator room clearing stuff in my basement and living room in all lighting conditions as well as a solid amout of dry firing and found no need for a dot whatsoever.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Baq:

I have done the same, just no basement

My 14.5 with the micro 3x is currently at my bedside, as there is a known armed thief roaming my area. I have no issues with it up close, and even if the lower level illumination is washed out from my weapon light, the bold donut is still easy to pick up.
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 2:14:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GreenMushroom] [#46]
Originally Posted By zoe17:
View Quote

Looking through magnified optics with a helmet mount sucks in general imo but the reticle is very crisp so it would probably do ok with 2 tubes. I didn't really mess with it for very long. I'll bet the 1x version is pretty good. Best bet for passive is the 12 dot mount they're talking about.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 6:18:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Just ordered my second one, this time in FDE.

Has anyone used the Arisaka 35 degree offset with this? Pretty sure it will, but would be nice to know it clears for sure.
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 11:43:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#48]
Got the new cantilever ADM mount in today. FDE and it’s blatantly obvious these were made for the MP’s and not ACOG’s. Lines up perfectly everywhere.

Also got my second 3X MP, this time in FDE. With the Magpul MBUS Gen III I can get it a couple slots further back over the Gen II. Will try and check how it compares to the regular mount placement wise as the profile on the ADM means it’s a little more forgiving on overlap with the new MBUS. It’s touching the MBUS Gen III but you can still pull a piece of paper out from between them. Almost like they designed it around them.

ETA: Factory mount with Gen II MBUS versus ADM AD-B2-C and Gen III MBUS.

Link Posted: 3/2/2023 12:48:08 AM EDT
[#49]
Same sight height?
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 12:55:50 AM EDT
[#50]
Got the new cantilever ADM mount in today. FDE and it's blatantly obvious these were made for the MP's and not ACOG's. Lines up perfectly everywhere.

Also got my second 3X MP, this time in FDE. With the Magpul MBUS Gen III I can get it a couple slots further back over the Gen II. Will try and check how it compares to the regular mount placement wise as the profile on the ADM means it's a little more forgiving on overlap with the new MBUS. It's touching the MBUS Gen III but you can still pull a piece of paper out from between them. Almost like they designed it around them.

https://i.ibb.co/JkccsN0/D6-B4-D87-A-DD8-F-4-CE2-A6-B8-75625-FD5-B035.jpg

ETA: Factory mount with Gen II MBUS versus ADM AD-B2-C and Gen III MBUS.
https://i.ibb.co/r2B27TS/1-B489-FDB-22-A4-4-C23-858-E-CBF66-D2-C7404.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/vPKVR3t/EDA88627-C2-BD-46-BC-91-E5-00-E3-B1-AE11-EE.jpg
View Quote
Looks like it fits better against backup sights. The only reason I stuck to the high cantilever was to get mine further over my MBUS pro.

Gonna have to replace my current ADM base at some point if it works that way with the pros
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 21
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top