Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 8:18:35 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I just ordered the Burris Speed Dot 135 from Natchez for about 156.  It comes with two rings, has been around for a while, and seems to have quite a decent reputation from what I've seen.  It doesn't look tactical, and even in the Matte finish it seem to have 2 silver knob covers very visible.
Same 3 MOA dot, same 11 brightness levels.  I've probably missed a thread on this somewhere else.  Anyone have one of these?

I just ordered one myself ... waiting for it to arrive.   Have your received it yet?  What are your impressions ...  Thanks ..
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 7:38:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Hey, glad you asked.  I have gone to the range twice with the Speedot 135 now.  It's mounted with an ARMS #5 on a bushmaster M4 Patrolmans carbine with the front sight post left on (reason for the elevating arms mount), and no flash supressor.

So far I am very happy with it.  Variable brightness is very nice, wide range of dot sizeswide range of brightness, not size, lol...oops.  the 35 MM rings included locked on to the arms mount with no effort, and it seems to be a nice tight setup.  The finish is actually all black, and the sight looks great, if you ask me.  There is also a 1" extension tube that screws nicely on the front for additional glare reduction.

So far, the accuracy has been very good.  Sighting acquisition is effortless, with eye relief being a non issue for me.  The dot is small, but not too small.  Most of my work so far has been at 50 yards, where it has improved my groups slightly over irons.

The last shot I took was at a empty XM193 20 rd box filled up with empty brass and the plastic holder, then taped and laid down on its top so only the smallest end was visible at 50 yards.  1 shot, and I hit it basically dead on, scattering brass all over.  Could only find 5 or 6 mangled ones.  The sight is lots of fun, and so far so good with repeat zero.

You'll have to put your own ovservations in here, too.
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 8:33:23 AM EDT
[#3]
The 3/4" is just high enough to cowitness right on the front sight post.  The X-High would cowitness in the lower 1/3 of the window.  IMO the High version I got doesn't look too tall like some mounts.  The covers flip down and lie nice and flat against the rails- they don't look like little ramps for bugs to crawl up

Hope this helps someone...

Supersize Me
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 12:28:51 PM EDT
[#4]
OK, so we have established that the Burris 3/4" and 1"  mounts will co-witness?

And last, what type of battery does this sight use? I haven't seen that mentioned yet.

Thanks,

-CH
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 2:34:26 PM EDT
[#5]
It arrived today ... Here it is mounted on my 6721 with a RRA Tactical Carry Handle.  The iron sigts co-witness in the lower 1/3 in this configuration using the included mounts.  It uses a #2032 camera battery.

FYI ... it does not have silver dials like all the pics show ... it is all matte black ...

http://homepage.mac.com/dmhines/burris.jpg
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 3:13:27 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I just ordered the Burris Speed Dot 135 from Natchez for about 156.  It comes with two rings, has been around for a while, and seems to have quite a decent reputation from what I've seen.  It doesn't look tactical, and even in the Matte finish it seem to have 2 silver knob covers very visible.
Same 3 MOA dot, same 11 brightness levels.  I've probably missed a thread on this somewhere else.  Anyone have one of these?

Yes I do, and I've been pretty happy with it.  It works just fine, and at 50 meters I can get 1 or 2 moa, and at 100 meters I get about 4 moa.

Edited to say .............."I'm still saving for a Aimpoint, but this works just fine for now."

Link Posted: 7/26/2005 8:27:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, it's not sexy... well, not terribly sexy.  but it sure seems to work.

ETA:  On a range shoot today, I managed a 2.75 inch 4 shot 200 yd group.  I'm not terribly convinced the ring bases are built as solid as they should be, but the thing seems to be holding a zero quite well, and is awesomely easy and fun to use.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:11:50 PM EDT
[#8]
What's the latest on the durability of the Xtreme Speeddot?
I have one incoming as a T&E and plan on running it through a carbine course or two.
What battery size does it take, and whats the battery life like?
Any issues with low light conditions or rain/wet weather?
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:54:39 PM EDT
[#9]
The XTS 135 uses the CR2032 battery (coin) like the BSA and others.

Sarge
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:48:51 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I ordered a HIGH ring mount from SWFA @ 3/4" and I think It's going to be too low.  What height should the ring be from the top of the pic rails to the bottom edge of the 30mm scope tube?  

HKPDW-  Why did you say 3/4"?  I think you are the person who I blindly followed and therefore ordered a "short" ring.  Damn you!  

My upper is back at ADCO and I can't check it out now, but it doesn't appear that the mount will be tall enough.  

This is the PAGE with the ring and this is the ring dimensions:
www.burrisoptics.com/images/ringheight.gif

I ordered he HIGH which is 3/4" (dim. C) and has no lightening hole.  X-HIGH has C=1" and has a lightening hole.  

Should I send this one back ASAP??

JosephR,

Hell, I thought this thread died months ago.   A 3/4 inch rise in the mount will put the red dot near the top of the front sight post (when utilizing a 30mm scope tube). Some poeple will use a 1 inch rise to put the irons in the lower third of the tube.  I find it easier to concentrate on one point, so, I went with a 3/4 rise.

My apologies if I  lead you down the wrong path.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PS.   How do you like your bipod in that configuration ? Are you still able to operate the pod loc efficiently ?

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:54:17 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

The last shot I took was at a empty XM193 20 rd box filled up with empty brass and the plastic holder, then taped and laid down on its top so only the smallest end was visible at 50 yards.  1 shot, and I hit it basically dead on, scattering brass all over.  Could only find 5 or 6 mangled ones.  The sight is lots of fun, and so far so good with repeat zero.

FJ,

Federal, PMP, S&B, those are all authorized targets.  But don't shoot up perfectly good LC brass, it's just not right.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:21:51 AM EDT
[#12]
LOL, I'm with you on that one.  I've decided to just save all the once fired LC brass from now on for someone who uses it or myself in the future.

It's open season on the rest, though!
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:06:29 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm fine with the 3/4".  anything higher and it looks like it's just waiting for something to try and knock it off it's high perch.

I'm not using a BUIS right now so cowitnessing is good.  lower 1/3 would confuse the shiites out of be probably...
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:52:01 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
...AFAIK, bushnell designed the holosight and EOTech was formed to build the more rugged version for the military and LE community.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but at least spell the response correcly.  thanks.

No, Bushnell licenced it from EOTech.  EOTech had developed the technology.

From EOTech's website (red is my comments):

In 1995, ERIM formed a subsidiary, EOTech, Inc., to re-assess the potential for the holographic sighting technology. EOTech miniaturized the sophisticated sighting system into a compact and rugged package for use on small arms. The first generation holographic sight was successfully launched into the commercial market in January 1996(This was the Bushnell product, it was easier to have them market it as they were already in the business and had a know brand name). In January 2000, the second generation Holosight was released into the consumer market

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:11:29 AM EDT
[#15]
I don't suppose any of you that have this sight with the 3/4" Burris ring have a picture of how the dot lines up with a fixed front sight post?

I am probably going to order this Xtreme Tactical in the next couple weeks but can't make my mind up on the ring height.

Thanks,

Allan
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 3:07:13 PM EDT
[#16]
3/4" ring gives a true center co-witness, 1" ring gives a lower 1/3rd co-witness.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top