Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/22/2005 3:36:47 PM EDT
I need help deciding which optic to put in a LW carbine.

Criteria:
Lightweight
Rugged/Waterproof

Leave it to the people to decide

Edited to add: Don't forget when judging weight to include the preferred mounting method.
Link Posted: 6/22/2005 3:40:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/22/2005 3:50:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/22/2005 3:58:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/22/2005 3:58:56 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Compact ACOG on a A1 upper will give you immediate access to irons, and will be lighter than just about any equivilant flat top with any BUIS + optic + mount you can think of.

groups.msn.com/_Secure/0TwDrAi0YSsio*Q5ALVOQJwP6LbCTK60edn67rurTUlbXyvlt3xHHf*C21m5d5gdwudW0Ift49EZ9SmJaQzuUCyf2DVjponLG4woHHB3Q1FAGX4LQE5kdwQ/Picture%20069.jpg?dc=4675497104338131232

Unfortunately (or fortunately), it is a flattop.
Link Posted: 6/22/2005 4:04:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Jpoint?  Dr Optic? mounted to a flattop with a KAC 300m BUIS?

The lightweight thing in ARs can get as obsessive as the hikers/backpackers that get obsessive about weight.

I used an Eotech, a model that takes the N batteries, on my lightweight.  In my mind the fact that it doesn't require a separate mount made it the lighter of it vs. the Aimpoint.  An Aimpoint alone weighs 7.1 oz (no mount) and the standard "N" Eotech weighs 8.8, but mine is an older model without the protective cage.

Link Posted: 6/22/2005 4:20:18 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Jpoint?  Dr Optic? mounted to a flattop with a KAC 300m BUIS?

The lightweight thing in ARs can get as obsessive as the hikers/backpackers that get obsessive about weight.

I used an Eotech, a model that takes the N batteries, on my lightweight.  In my mind the fact that it doesn't require a separate mount made it the lighter of it vs. the Aimpoint.  An Aimpoint alone weighs 7.1 oz (no mount) and the standard "N" Eotech weighs 8.8, but mine is an older model without the protective cage.

216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/196/196030/folders/204150/1577982outdoorlightweight.jpg

Weight is why I am considering an Eotech this time. I am normally a diehard Aimpoint fan.

Hey, you can't have everything
Link Posted: 6/22/2005 4:37:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Im gonna have to say a reflex I just really like them and I guess the IDF does to.....
Link Posted: 6/22/2005 5:35:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/22/2005 5:57:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Aimpoint with a LaRue mount.  Don't neglect BUIS:  KAC 300m (lightest).

No "cage" on Eothingy negates ruggedness rquirement.  
Link Posted: 6/22/2005 7:22:44 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

you're right, my sofa may attack my eotech, and what would I do then?
Link Posted: 6/23/2005 3:43:13 AM EDT
[#11]
would really be lightweight if you used just irons
doctor? jpoint?
Link Posted: 6/23/2005 4:08:38 AM EDT
[#12]
I vote Dr Optic on an ARMS mount.  It weighs 1.06 oz and there is not going to be a lighter optic than that.  3.5 MOA dot battery life measuered in years and self adjusts to ambient light which the Aimpoint and EOtech do not.  Also does not wash out like the Trijicon and weighs less than the Trijicon too.
Link Posted: 6/23/2005 4:11:13 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I vote Dr Optic on an ARMS mount.

Does ARMS make a dedicated mount for the Docter, or do you have to modify or use another mount in conjunction with a Docter mount to get it to work?
Link Posted: 6/23/2005 4:30:55 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Does ARMS make a dedicated mount for the Docter, or do you have to modify or use another mount in conjunction with a Docter mount to get it to work?

Yes they make a dedicated mount.  The 17 I think?  I am not using a throw lever mount at the moment.
Link Posted: 6/23/2005 4:36:27 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

you're right, my sofa may attack my eotech, and what would I do then?

You shoot in the living room?  Man, I can't do that.  My wife would take it away from me and shoot me.
Link Posted: 6/23/2005 4:45:31 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes they make a dedicated mount.  The 17 I think?  I am not using a throw lever mount at the moment.

Not really dedicated, but it appears that if you stack the right parts you can get there.
ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=237744
Link Posted: 6/23/2005 7:01:14 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Compact ACOG on a A1 upper will give you immediate access to irons, and will be lighter than just about any equivilant flat top with any BUIS + optic + mount you can think of.

Yeppers.....now if we could just get G&R and Bravo Co. to make that mid length also in a super lt wt
configuration...a little extra sight radius wouldn't hurt either...:)
Link Posted: 6/23/2005 7:44:28 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I need help deciding which optic to put in a LW carbine.

Criteria:
Lightweight
Rugged/Waterproof

Leave it to the people to decide

Trijcon Compact ACOG in a LaRue Compact ACOG mount.

It's far better than the Reflex for durability and usefulness under 'real world' condistions and weighs slightly less.

It's what I prefer on my LW.

Of the 'red dot / 1x sights' I also like the EOTech (due to it's AA batteries) and occasionally run it on my Lightweight.  However it is the heaviest of the options.

Link Posted: 6/23/2005 7:45:44 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Neil is Spot On.
Link Posted: 6/23/2005 8:07:19 AM EDT
[#20]
I really like my EOTech but will probably own an aimpoint someday as well.  Flip a coin.
Link Posted: 6/23/2005 8:36:06 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Neil is Spot On.

I don't know how ya'll deal with the altered cheekweld.  I can't stand to have my head that far up off the stock.
Link Posted: 6/23/2005 8:42:53 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I really like my EOTech but will probably own an aimpoint someday as well.  Flip a coin.

I don't know how ya'll deal with the altered cheekweld.  I can't stand to have my head that far up off the stock.

??? What do you mean
Link Posted: 6/23/2005 8:55:18 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
??? What do you mean

sorry, quoted the wrong post.  see edit above.
Link Posted: 6/23/2005 9:18:42 AM EDT
[#24]
I have an EOTech 512 on my Bushy superlight...  Even though it's a 12 ounce optic, the entire thing weighs .75lb LESS than my Mid-length without optics.

Still, if I were going strictly for "lightest", I PERSONALLY would try out an OKO red-dot.  They weigh about 2.5oz and don't need any mount.  

I had one, and I liked it.  I regret very much selling it to purchase a lesser (Hakko) optic.  
Link Posted: 6/23/2005 9:36:08 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
??? What do you mean

sorry, quoted the wrong post.  see edit above.

Gotcha.

Anyway the M16 mount version of the Compact ACOG sits lower on the carry handle than most other scopes thanks to it's compact size AND integrated mount.

It's not much of a difference, and if you're shooting with a good head's up stance at worst you have to keep the stock a bit lower on your shoulder.
Link Posted: 6/23/2005 9:37:48 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
....  They weigh about 2.5oz and don't need any mount.  ...

And shatter when dropped (ask Fight4YourRights) if you don't use the steel protective hood (which raises the weight).
Link Posted: 6/23/2005 12:31:36 PM EDT
[#27]

And shatter when dropped (ask Fight4YourRights) if you don't use the steel protective hood (which raises the weight)

Yeah, I saw his thread quite some time ago with the OKO on a Carbon 15.  Having owned an OKO, I believe that to be a lemon rather than the norm for the OKO.  I had the big SC4 mount/cover, and it still was lighter than an Aimpoint WITHOUT mount.  The SC3 (cover only) was only a couple of ounces.

But of course, that wasn't one of the choices in the original post, and I was only adding what I would do if I were going for "lightest possible" rifle.  For my .02 keeping with the original post, I vote either EO or Aimpoint, just NOT the Reflex
Link Posted: 6/23/2005 3:31:38 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

And shatter when dropped (ask Fight4YourRights) if you don't use the steel protective hood (which raises the weight)

Yeah, I saw his thread quite some time ago with the OKO on a Carbon 15.  Having owned an OKO, I believe that to be a lemon rather than the norm for the OKO.  I had the big SC4 mount/cover, and it still was lighter than an Aimpoint WITHOUT mount.  The SC3 (cover only) was only a couple of ounces.

But of course, that wasn't one of the choices in the original post, and I was only adding what I would do if I were going for "lightest possible" rifle.  For my .02 keeping with the original post, I vote either EO or Aimpoint, just NOT the Reflex

Aimpoint for me.

BTW: Onslaught, how's the TA51 working?
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 8:16:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Great posts guys, although, I am a little skeptical about the durability of some of the "other" recommendations.

Weight is important but, I will not sacrafice reliability for weight savings.

Just keep that in mind.

it is looking like a close one between Aimpoint and EO.
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 8:52:21 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Great posts guys, although, I am a little skeptical about the durability of some of the "other" recommendations.

Just keep that in mind.

There is a thread somewhere on here where Wes from MSTN and Grant from gandrtactical argue over the use of the Jpoint and Docter by various ninjas in the field, and even post pics of ninjas using them.
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 1:33:48 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just keep that in mind.

There is a thread somewhere on here where Wes from MSTN and Grant from gandrtactical argue over the use of the Jpoint and Docter by various ninjas in the field, and even post pics of ninjas using them.

Ninja is a derogitory term... from mall ninja.

If you want to learn about ninjas go here. NINJA LINK

But yes both active duty infantry and contract guys have used the Dr Optic in Iraq and A-Stan.  Dr. Optic can withstand 500 Gs as its meant ot be mounted on a pistol slide.

Link Posted: 6/24/2005 5:27:18 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just keep that in mind.

Can anyone find this link?

I am still skeptical- I have seen some of the most rugged optics fail in the field before.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top