User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/15/2006 1:31:33 PM EDT
Any dealers around here handle them?

Do right handed shooters generally have them on the left or right side of their primary?

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 2:20:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:31:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks C4

I checked your site but didn't really see much info.  Who is the manufacturer of each or where can I go to compare/contrast the two?  What's the main difference in the two?

My searches didn't turn up very much...not many people must carry these.

ETA:  Found this...pretty good info.  Do you all know of anything else?
www.jprifles.com/

ETA:  Just a few more questions...
What is the power source on the JPoint?
If battery, what kind of battery life?
What type of on/off switch?

Sorry for my ignorancein this type of optic.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:24:33 AM EDT
[#3]
just my .02

I know they are hard to find but they are out there,

and I do know the difference between the Doctor and JP is:
then JPoint is made out of a type of plastic and the DR is made of aluminum and more durable which is why you will see more military and LE using them.  

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:02:30 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
DR is made of aluminum and more durable which is why you will see more military and LE using them.  

I would question both assertions.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:46:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:40:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:36:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Tag.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:45:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Does anyone know if anybody makes those "wings" to add to whatever mount you already have.  The mounts I've seen are a one-piece unit made for certain applications like the ACOG, AR-15, Mossbergs, etc.  I would like to add those "wings" to my Larue SPR/JP mount.  Any help would be great.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:14:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:20:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Well I guess it's off to the mill then.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:35:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Great stuff gentlemen...thank you.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:19:45 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
DR is made of aluminum and more durable which is why you will see more military and LE using them.  

You question them because you don't understand them, or you question them because you have different information.  If the latter, is it a secret that you can't post?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:02:55 PM EDT
[#13]
yeah, what is dport trying to say?

I know that Travis has one and knows what he's talking about...
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:38:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:42:24 PM EDT
[#15]
hey man!

thanks for the backing in the threads...............once again!

my 45 is almost done, it is getting bead blasted and im putting the final touches on her....you still want to DC it?...it would just be the slide and controls in black.

Trav
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:27:43 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You question them because you don't understand them, or you question them because you have different information.  If the latter, is it a secret that you can't post?

See Grant's post.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:24:54 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

See Grant's post.

There are actually four assertions, not two, present in SIMPLYDYNAMIC’s post.

1. The DR is made of aluminum.

2. The DR is more durable.

3. More military use the DR.

4. More LE use the DR.

Do you disagree with all four, or only two of them?

I have read Grant’s post a half a dozen times and do not see him contradicting any of the above four assertions.

Maybe I am simply dense and am missing the point.

Could you clarify this for us?

viator
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:37:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:53:28 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
There are actually four assertions, not two, present in SIMPLYDYNAMIC’s post.

1. The DR is made of aluminum.

It would be dumb to question that assertion.

2. The DR is more durable.

There is no evidence to support this assertion.

3. More military use the DR.

4. More LE use the DR.

I treated this as one assertion, and again there is no evidence to support it.

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:09:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Are either rugged enough to use on a handgun -ie slide mounted? Thinking Glock 34.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:10:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:06:10 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Are either rugged enough to use on a handgun -ie slide mounted? Thinking Glock 34.

Yes.

C4

Okay, which one? Or both?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:15:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:41:32 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes.

C4

Okay, which one? Or both?

Both.

C4

So both the Doctor and JPoint are rugged enough to be aggressively used off the edge of a belt, kydex holster, boot heel or other hard cornered object for one handed techniques?  

If so they are a lot more durable than I first thougt and I might have to consider one on a future pistol project.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:10:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Does anyone know if they will co witness with a UMP?

Bomber
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:19:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:20:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:36:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:33:08 AM EDT
[#29]
Can the DocterSight be mounted onto an ACOG TA11E?

-C4-
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:40:18 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:44:53 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-C4-

Yes.

C4

How tall is this combo?  I wasn't sure if the DR would clear the fiber on the front of the ACOG..  I think I am going to throw that combo on my AR-10 Carbine.

-C4-
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:50:20 AM EDT
[#32]
Grant -

Which do you suggest for the JPoint on top of an ACOG - 4mm or 8moa?

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:25:47 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:27:34 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:30:11 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-C4-

Yes.

C4

How tall is this combo?  I wasn't sure if the DR would clear the fiber on the front of the ACOG..  I think I am going to throw that combo on my AR-10 Carbine.

-C4-

The JPoint makes some small risers that can be used to gurantee that you will clear the fiber.

C4

Do the risers work with the Dr? or is there a way to make sure it will clear the fiber?

-C4-
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:23:32 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:44:01 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-C4-

Yes.

C4

-C4-

The JPoint makes some small risers that can be used to gurantee that you will clear the fiber.

C4

Do the risers work with the Dr? or is there a way to make sure it will clear the fiber?

-C4-

No. They are for the JPoint only. Dr Optic doesn't offer anything like this currently.

C4

Just got an email from a guy at Trijicon.  He said that they are currently working on a mount for the Dr to fit all existing ACOGs.

-C4-
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:27:50 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:30:05 AM EDT
[#39]
Grant,
How much for a JPoint mount for a TA31, ie upper and lower?

This thread and the "how well did your ACOG do at class" thread is making me nervous/interested.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 12:16:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 12:26:41 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Grant,
How much for a JPoint mount for a TA31, ie upper and lower?

This thread and the "how well did your ACOG do at class" thread is making me nervous/interested.

$75.

C4

I'm going to have to mull this over. It's between this and the progressivemachine front lens cover.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:59:11 PM EDT
[#42]
The J point will not co witness with a ump.  
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 6:12:18 AM EDT
[#43]
From the JPoint page:

"A common question about the JPoint is "How does it compare to the Doctor?"  Every sight design represents a compromise between various attributes.  The Doctor has a metal body and glass lens and is considerably heavier.  The glass lens of the Doctor is more optically perfect than the acrylic lens of the JPoint, but adds to the weight.  The acrylic lens of the JPoint will have some minor optical distortion that is apparent only under intense scrutiny such as holding the sight up to a light and focusing on the lens.  When you're actually shooting, you're never focused on the lens so this distortion isn't noticeable in live fire conditions. If you're focused on the lens while shooting, I can predict you're not hitting your target.  The extremely low weight of the JPoint makes it ideal for applications such as our shot gun barrel mount and piggy back scope mounts which attach with a special adhesive.  Low mass translates into low inertial effects for slide mounting or adhesive mounts and the sight/mount system will stay put under extreme conditions.  The JPoint is also considerably less expensive than the Doctor and there are many more adapters from several sources for many more applications than are currently available for the Doctor.  The JPoint is not for every body, but is a great concept for a wide variety of applications."
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:20:36 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 11:08:48 AM EDT
[#45]
Tag
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 2:44:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Hello,

I have mounted both Jpoint (Optima 2000) and Docter Sights to pistols (competition, i.e., steel plate, IPSC).  Like many of you, I questioned the durability of the sights.  I started with the Jpoint-Optima type sights, and then transitioned to Docter Sights on my more recent builds.

I have found both sights to be very reliable.  Once securely and properly mounted, I have found no significant drift or loss of accuracy over time.  Keep in mind that with slide-mounting the sights, they get battered quite a bit--certainly much more than with routine shooting from an AR-15, where the sight is mounted to a rail or to another sight/scope.  However, being a competition shooter, I can "be careful" with my guns and I don't routinely bump my sights against doors, barricades, etc.  

I did ruin an Optima sight once when a little Gun Scrubber got away from me hen
Because of this, I would think that the mounting systems that provide "side wings" may be a better choice for mounting these sights on rifles that may see hard use.  I have a Jpoint mounted on an ACOG using JP enterprises mount.  For those mounting systems that place the Jpoint/Docter on the side of a scope, it might be nice to have a single "wing" that protects the outer/exposed side of the sight from being bumped.

Just some thoughts.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 5:05:08 PM EDT
[#47]
When comparing sights i also look at customer service. I emailed JP and Dr Optic (last US distributer and Germany) I got a quick responce from JP, Germany took about a week (no big deal) and the last US dist for DR Optic I never heard from. From what I understand, their is currently NO US distributer for the Dr Optic.

Link Posted: 4/9/2006 8:19:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Tag.
Link Posted: 4/26/2006 12:28:59 PM EDT
[#49]
BTT

still researching

TYpical zero at 50 yards? or something more like 25 yards?
Link Posted: 4/26/2006 1:50:29 PM EDT
[#50]

The more I read the more confused I get...

Is there a difference between the Optima 2000 / JPoint / Firepoint?  THese terms seem to be interchangeable on some websites and others speak as if they are all similar but made by different manufacturers.

Thanks again for the help.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top