Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/8/2006 9:08:17 AM EDT
Is there an advantage to mount the Eotech as fordwar as possible?
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 9:13:44 AM EDT
[#1]
yes
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 9:26:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Please enlighten us then?
I have mine just foerward enought of the buis to work the buttons, thats it.
It just feels beter for me, but now you have me wondering...
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 10:07:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Typically with a red dot sight, the further forward you mount, the better your FOV will be but my experience with the EO Tech is in opposition to that to some degree.

Because of the way the EO Tech works, the reticule stays the same size so the further away the optic is from your eye, the more of the window is filled by the reticule. The further away the EO Tech is, the close your head has to be in alignment with it. When the EO Tech is closer to your eye, you wil have more leeway in regards to your head position because the reticule wil have more room to around in.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 10:12:06 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Typically with a red dot sight, the further forward you mount, the better your FOV will be but my experience with the EO Tech is in opposition to that to some degree.

Because of the way the EO Tech works, the reticule stays the same size so the further away the optic is from your eye, the more of the window is filled by the reticule. The further away the EO Tech is, the close your head has to be in alignment with it. When the EO Tech is closer to your eye, you wil have more leeway in regards to your head position because the reticule wil have more room to around in.

+1

but the original poster didnt ask for all this he just ask if there was an advantage not what the advantages are.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 10:16:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys for the explanation.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 10:22:48 AM EDT
[#6]
The other thing you have to think about is the ballance point.  Since EOTech's work better when they are mounted far fowward, it is possible to mount it so far forward on a railed HG that it makes yor AR extreemly muzzle heavy.  I like to mount mine right above the barrel nut.  Mine just feels better there.

MadDog
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 10:30:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Good point MadDogDan. I forgot all about the effect of placement on balance and sorry eklikwhoa, I tend to "over achieve" sometimes.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 11:03:09 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Good point MadDogDan. I forgot all about the effect of placement on balance and sorry eklikwhoa, I tend to "over achieve" sometimes.

i was just being a smartass
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 11:29:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 11:58:18 AM EDT
[#10]
I mounted my EO Tech as far forward on the receiver as possible. For Aimpoints, I used cantilever mounts mounted as far forward on the receiver as well.

One stupid thing to consider - don't mount the optic so far forward that you can't easily reach the controls with the rifle shouldered. As silly as that sounds, it is possible.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:35:32 PM EDT
[#11]
I've found I like it forward for CQB/room entry stuff--really opens up the FOV.  

Back is ok for longer range stuff.  
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top