Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2007 9:03:40 PM EDT
Good day, I have recently finished my carbine build (Mega/CMMG) and it has come time to put optics on the beast. I slapped the old super sniper on it for some range fun, and for a chrome lined 14.5" barrel, I was quite impressed with its accuracy. Actually, dang impressed. This has inspired me to put a more appropriate optic on it for 100-300 yd target shooting/plinking. I am no operator or competitor and this rifle is more of just a fun range rifle with that evil black rifle mystique.

I looked at the aimpoints and eotechs first, but with not the greatest vision, specifically an astigmatism, these sights were not what I was looking for and made me realize that perhaps some magnification is necessary for my application, especially at the longer distances. I know that a 3x multiplier is available but do not like the idea of a multi component scope system.

I have been quite impressed with the IOR offerings I have handled in the past and am considering either the 4x24 m2 model with the CQB reticle for .223 (mounted in a larue mount) or the 6x30 Super m2 with the same .223 CQB reticle (mounted in the supplied 35mm rings). I have never fired a weapon with either of these specific optics mounted and have not met anyone who has.

Everywhere I have read people are pleased with the optical clarity of IOR scopes and they are well regarded in terms of durability. Does anyone have experience of these scopes specifically on an AR15? Are the reported issues with eye relief more applicable to traditional rifles, I thought that a shoter eye relief was a good thing for the AR15 platform? Does the reticle on the m2 series move when then windage and/or elevation are adjusted so much so that it does not appear centered in the tube as some people have mentioned with the m1 series?  

I am most interested in the super m2 (because of the larger tube diameter and extra magnification) but it seems like there are virtually no reviews of it online. Are there any other optics that you feel would be appropriate for the application and cost less than roughly $650 with mount?

Link Posted: 9/18/2007 10:51:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/19/2007 10:46:19 AM EDT
[#2]
I have the super m2 on my ar... its really an ar scope as the eye has to be close to the reticle to see the full view of the scope... and any recoil puts it into your forehead.

I really like it, has an easy to focus rear reticle, is solid, but heavy.  I took off the rubber back tube you look thru.  As the turret's are exposed, you need to check for accidental changes.
Link Posted: 9/20/2007 7:07:25 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I have the super m2 on my ar... its really an ar scope as the eye has to be close to the reticle to see the full view of the scope... and any recoil puts it into your forehead.

I really like it, has an easy to focus rear reticle, is solid, but heavy.  I took off the rubber back tube you look thru.  As the turret's are exposed, you need to check for accidental changes.

I was told the Super M2 (6x30) had the problem you describe because of the short eye relief.

Any other experience with the 4x24?

I am debating between the 4x24 and the 1.1-4x26 (about twice the price)  

Can the 4x24 with a CQB reticle  be used as a decent CQB optic? I am thinking it can because the (this is not a comparison) ACOG's come with a static 4x magnification...

Link Posted: 9/20/2007 7:16:42 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was told the Super M2 (6x30) had the problem you describe because of the short eye relief.

Any other experience with the 4x24?

I am debating between the 4x24 and the 1.1-4x26 (about twice the price)  

Can the 4x24 with a CQB reticle  be used as a decent CQB optic? I am thinking it can because the (this is not a comparison) ACOG's come with a static 4x magnification...

The reason people consider ACOGs to be "ok" for CQB is because of the daylight-visible "BAC" fiber-optic on some models.  That said, I myself am pretty good at using low-mag scopes as "CQB" optics with both eyes open, YMMV.

I have an M2 4x24 w/ CQB reticle and I love it.  Super glass.  I don't have any trouble with the eye relief; I have it mounted in steel IOR thumb-release high rings, and it puts it right where I want it, with no return to zero issues.  Every time I have money and am about to buy a LaRue mount for it, I end up buying something else because the rings have worked so well.  IOR's rings, like their scopes, are top notch.

I can range things quite quickly with the reticle and the BDC cam makes elevation adjustment a snap.

Unfortunately, because I've been ill and out of work for a month I'm selling most of my optics, so if you're interested in the M2 drop me an IM.
Link Posted: 9/20/2007 7:34:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the info and your impressions, IM sent
Link Posted: 9/20/2007 10:11:16 AM EDT
[#6]
After reading the replies here and speaking with several IOR distributors, it seems like the 4x24 M2 with the MP-9 reticle is more along the lines of what I am looking for which leaves me with enough cash for a nice Larue mount. Now for a new question, which Larue mount will be ideal for the 4x24 M2 and clear my Troy BUIS? Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/20/2007 10:20:48 AM EDT
[#7]
I think most are using this one

LaRue
Link Posted: 9/20/2007 10:23:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Just a note:

Because of the relatively short eye relief on the IOR 4x24, a LaRue mount, while awesome, is not as necessary as it is with many optics, which require a cantilever as their eye relief is not set with the AR in mind.

A set of quality rings works just as well (although the LaRue has the best QD capability on the market) for this scope, as far as the mounting goes.
Link Posted: 9/20/2007 10:24:21 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Just a note:

Because of the relatively short eye relief on the IOR 4x24, a LaRue mount, while awesome, is not as necessary as it is with many optics, which require a cantilever as their eye relief is not set with the AR in mind.

A set of quality rings works just as well (although the LaRue has the best QD capability on the market) for this scope, as far as the mounting goes.

good point, I forgot about that....
Link Posted: 9/20/2007 10:28:55 AM EDT
[#10]
which reminds of why I was looking at the 1.1-4 from IOR in the first place, my IOR 2.5-10x42 has a 3.5 inch eye relief and I love it.. I can't comment on what it would be like to go from a 3.5 to a 3.0 but I imagine it would not be to big a strain as say going to an ACOG with a 1.4 or so

ETA:

I'M SO CONFUSED...maybe I should just buy both....
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top