Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2008 2:41:04 PM EDT
Hello I am very close to buying a Millet DMS-1 for my AR-15 I am wondering what a good mount would be.  I have a Bushy AR carbine and I am also try to decide if I should get rid of the front sight post and change it to a flip up or get a new gas block so that I do not have to buy really tall rings.  
What do you all think?
Link Posted: 1/19/2008 2:53:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Larue
Link Posted: 1/19/2008 2:57:35 PM EDT
[#2]
The mount height should depend on how you shoot, not the front sight.  It's essentially invisible at 4x, and easy to ignore at 1x.  Generally, you want something that puts the scope centerline around the same as the iron sights centerline so you shoot both with the same shoulder mount and cheek weld.

The DMS-1 needs a lot of forward mount room, as it's got a very long eyepiece and a fair amount of eye relief.  If you can shoot with the eyepiece just above the charging handle, almost any one-piece mount will do, but if you need more eye relief (like if you shoot NTCH), you either need the LaRue SPR-E or ADM Recon-X (both of which cost nearly what the scope does) or an extended rail and medium or high rings.

If you don't need the scope mounted ahead of the charging handle, a couple of good choices under $100 are the Armalite one-piece (lower than most - can't mount a BUIS under the scope), the Model 1 Sales one-piece (pretty high), and the CAA DVSR (medium high, very inexpensive).  

There's a list of one=piece mounts with pics here:
www.maxicon.com/guns/optics/one_piece/ar15_onepiece_mounts.htm

and a review of the DVSR, including pics of the DMS-1 mounted, here:
www.maxicon.com/guns/optics/caa/caa_dvsr.htm

The LaRue's considered to be the best, if budget's not an issue.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 6:56:50 AM EDT
[#3]
LaRue

Link Posted: 1/20/2008 7:13:55 AM EDT
[#4]
IF you haven't ordered your scope....YOU MIGHT BE TOO LATE.....

I've heard Midway is out (AGAIN).....

I've got the CAA Mount, saving for the LeRue....
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 11:12:28 AM EDT
[#5]
I've got the CAA mount as well, but I am saving up for the LaRue SPR-E.  The CAA works very well, but I want to get the SPR-E so that I can shoot NTCH.  It also looks nicer and is a QD mount.

Link Posted: 1/20/2008 3:07:03 PM EDT
[#6]
LaRue SPR-E.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 7:37:03 PM EDT
[#7]
While they are not cheap, I would go with a Larue.  I used one with my DMS-1 and couldn't be happier.  The $200 for the mount seemed cheap when I saw how well it worked.  
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 8:03:52 PM EDT
[#8]
LaRue
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 8:05:10 AM EDT
[#9]
LARUE

ARMALITE for cheap
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 9:37:33 AM EDT
[#10]
I tried the SPR-1.5 and the SPR-E. The "E" is the more versitile choice as you can't go nose to charging handle with the standard SPR mount.

Link Posted: 1/21/2008 10:25:13 AM EDT
[#11]
I used Warne QD rings on a YHM riser. While it might not be near the quality of the LaRue piece, it is rock solid, and functions exactly how I needed it to.

Link Posted: 1/22/2008 11:09:51 AM EDT
[#12]
OK, got a DMS-1 comming.  Now to the mount.  I plan on using a Troy Rear BUIS that is lo-profile.  Will the rear of the scope fir over the top, or do I need to look at the MI lo-profile Rear BUIS?

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 2:45:19 PM EDT
[#13]
You'll need to measure the diameter of the scope eyepiece, including flip-up caps if you're going to use them.

Divide that by 2, and add the height of the BUIS to it, and you'll get the height the centerline of your scope mount needs to be.

The Troy is 0.46" folded.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top