Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 21
Posted: 8/2/2021 6:08:20 PM EDT
Hey, Primary Arms - continuing off of the SLX 1x microprism thread here. Any news on that 3x, even a rough ballpark timeline? I'd love to see a worthwhile ~$300 ACOG competitor that actually looks the part.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 10:44:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By HighpowerRifleBrony:
Same sight height?
View Quote

As far as I can tell it is. You going to give in to the dark side and try one?

The ACOG has a tiny bit better glass but beyond that these are the better optic. Almost twice the FOV of a 3X ACOG yet still has better eye relief.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 10:50:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Liaztraht:
Looks like it fits better against backup sights. The only reason I stuck to the high cantilever was to get mine further over my MBUS pro.

Gonna have to replace my current ADM base at some point if it works that way with the pros
View Quote

I have the old ADM base too. I was going to put it on my 1X MP but think I’ll just get the C model for it too.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 10:52:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By -OdieGreen-:

I have the old ADM base too. I was going to put it on my 1X MP but think I'll just get the C model for it too.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Looks like it fits better against backup sights. The only reason I stuck to the high cantilever was to get mine further over my MBUS pro.

Gonna have to replace my current ADM base at some point if it works that way with the pros

I have the old ADM base too. I was going to put it on my 1X MP but think I'll just get the C model for it too.
They need to stop making me spend money. As soon as I buy it, another cool option will come out
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 11:12:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#4]
They need to stop making me spend money. As soon as I buy it, another cool option will come out
View Quote

I hear you on that. I’m going to build out a Ruger SFAR the exact same way as this. Just with the upcoming 5X MP instead and maybe an LEP light. I even have a bunch of the crazy rare MCT 308 PMAG’s. Money comes, money goes.

Link Posted: 3/2/2023 11:23:49 AM EDT
[#5]

I hear you on that. I'm going to build out a Ruger SFAR the exact same way as this. Just with the upcoming 5X MP instead and maybe an LEP light. I even have a bunch of the crazy rare MCT 308 PMAG's. Money comes, money goes.

https://i.ibb.co/K7qXLTN/0-AA98791-36-F6-4367-A854-CF08-C9-CF72-E2.jpg
View All Quotes

I hear you on that. I'm going to build out a Ruger SFAR the exact same way as this. Just with the upcoming 5X MP instead and maybe an LEP light. I even have a bunch of the crazy rare MCT 308 PMAG's. Money comes, money goes.

https://i.ibb.co/K7qXLTN/0-AA98791-36-F6-4367-A854-CF08-C9-CF72-E2.jpg
I dumped money into tools and car parts last month, money into new drum hardware this week, buying ammo tomorrow, and now I need a new mount
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 11:54:31 AM EDT
[#6]

The ACOG has a tiny bit better glass but beyond that these are the better optic. Almost twice the FOV of a 3X ACOG yet still has better eye relief.
View Quote

I'm still hoping for a GLx "update" of the TA31. I'll heave the TR24 til then.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 12:04:36 PM EDT
[#7]

I'm still hoping for a GLx "update" of the TA31. I'll heave the TR24 til then.
View Quote

I think they officially parted ways after the release of the micro series. I could see how Trijicon might have a conflict of interest at this point.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 12:36:57 PM EDT
[#8]

I think they officially parted ways after the release of the micro series. I could see how Trijicon might have a conflict of interest at this point.
View Quote
I don't mean just a PA reticle in an ACOG, but use it's specs as a base to improve.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 12:55:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#9]
I don't mean just a PA reticle in an ACOG, but use it's specs as a base to improve.
View Quote

What specs are the biggest interest to you?

PA 3X Microprism
FOV @ 100 yards: 38 feet.
Exit pupil: 7.4mm.
Eye relief at peak exit pupil: 2.7 inches.
Weight: 8 ounces.

TA31
FOV & 100 yards: 36 feet.
Exit pupil: 8mm.
Eye relief at peak exit pupil: 1.5 inches
Weight: 15.8 ounces.

I’d rate the old 3X prism around 50% of a TA31’s glass quality. The 3X MP is probably more like 75-80% of a TA31’s glass quality. Not ACOG level, but it’s hard to see the faults without directly comparing. The glass quality difference from the 3X SLX to the 2X GLX is something I couldn’t register but I haven’t compared them side by side. I’d rate the 1X as the lowest glass quality of them all as it has a very tiny bit of fish eye.

No fiber optics but it has Aimpoint level battery life with auto off so it will likely last as long as the battery does. The illumination knob is kind of the lowest point but it works. Exit pupil is also a bit lower than the ACOG but with the better eye relief it’s not hard to get behind.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 1:06:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Liaztraht] [#10]

PA 3X Microprism

TA31

I'd rate the old 3X prism around 50% of a TA31's glass quality. The 3X MP is probably more like 75-80% of a TA31's glass quality. Not ACOG level, but it's hard to see the faults without directly comparing. The glass quality difference from the 3X SLX to the 2X GLX is something I couldn't register but I haven't compared them side by side. I'd rate the 1X as the lowest glass quality of them all as it has a very tiny bit of fish eye.

No fiber optics but it has Aimpoint level battery life with auto off so it will likely last as long as the battery does. The illumination knob is kind of the lowest point but it works. Exit pupil is also a bit lower than the ACOG but with the better eye relief it's not hard to get behind.
View All Quotes

PA 3X Microprism

TA31

I'd rate the old 3X prism around 50% of a TA31's glass quality. The 3X MP is probably more like 75-80% of a TA31's glass quality. Not ACOG level, but it's hard to see the faults without directly comparing. The glass quality difference from the 3X SLX to the 2X GLX is something I couldn't register but I haven't compared them side by side. I'd rate the 1X as the lowest glass quality of them all as it has a very tiny bit of fish eye.

No fiber optics but it has Aimpoint level battery life with auto off so it will likely last as long as the battery does. The illumination knob is kind of the lowest point but it works. Exit pupil is also a bit lower than the ACOG but with the better eye relief it's not hard to get behind.
I suck at taking pictures through optics, but it's plenty bright for battery powered illumination too. Also very easy to see "around" for us two eyes open guys

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/2/2023 5:38:32 PM EDT
[#11]
I suck at taking pictures through optics, but it's plenty bright for battery powered illumination too. Also very easy to see "around" for us two eyes open guys

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/504436/Reticle_1_jpg-2730980.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/504436/PA_SLX_3X_FPV__3__jpg-2730979.JPG
View Quote

I can’t even get my camera to focus in to do that so I can’t judge.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 6:04:41 PM EDT
[#12]

I can't even get my camera to focus in to do that so I can't judge.
View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/504436/Reticle_1_jpg-2730980.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/504436/PA_SLX_3X_FPV__3__jpg-2730979.JPG

I can't even get my camera to focus in to do that so I can't judge.
BTW, for scale of reference, that house is about 420 yards away.

I should break out my old DSLR for reticle pictures. Fixed 50mm lense and a propper sensor should work better than my phone
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 8:41:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Can anyone tell me how many picatinny slots the factory mount takes up?
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 9:10:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By IslandTimes:
View Quote

Cross bolt to cross bolt is 4, but it extends a full extra slot and a half rearward.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 9:14:04 PM EDT
[#15]

Cross bolt to cross bolt is 4, but it extends a full extra slot and a half rearward.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By IslandTimes:

Thank you, I really appreciate the help!
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 9:50:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Caeser2001] [#16]
Originally Posted By GreenMushroom:

Looking through magnified optics with a helmet mount sucks in general imo but the reticle is very crisp so it would probably do ok with 2 tubes. I didn't really mess with it for very long. I'll bet the 1x version is pretty good. Best bet for passive is the 12 dot mount they're talking about.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GreenMushroom:
Originally Posted By zoe17:
Has anyone used these with NV? How did it work? What mount do / did you use? Anyone tried use something like a Holosun 407/507 pistol red dot as offset? Or does the 3X work fine and offset RDS is not needed? I have been reading for months and not purchased one. I was Eotech / Aimpoint only for years. Now, I need budget options. With the 5X coming, would you wait and do …….?

Looking through magnified optics with a helmet mount sucks in general imo but the reticle is very crisp so it would probably do ok with 2 tubes. I didn't really mess with it for very long. I'll bet the 1x version is pretty good. Best bet for passive is the 12 dot mount they're talking about.

This pretty much sums it up. I would’ve traded a bit of of the FOV for more eye relief and larger exit pupil but it’s a great optic though.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 10:11:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TNRonin] [#17]
To me the only down side is in both 1x and 3x. The rear focusing ring is as tuff as a 17yoa in the morning!
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 10:21:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By TNRonin:
To me the only down side is in both 1x and 3x. The rear focusing ring is as stuff as a 17yoa in the morning!
View Quote
It should be set it and forget it, but I know what you mean. Mine loosened up a bit.

The illumination dial was stiff as well on mine, but I worked it smooth.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 11:13:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Agreed, but after seeing 5 of them it got old. Lol
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 9:20:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Anyone tried one on a Cetme L?

Rear sight is so high and picatinny so far forward thinking a 3x may be the way to go with that long tall cantilever.
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 12:38:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#21]
Better close up of the ADM FDE AD-B2-C.

Link Posted: 3/3/2023 1:02:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Better close up of the ADM FDE AD-B2-C.

https://i.ibb.co/g7PFdn8/5-FD158-AB-F2-A7-4238-A76-D-70-B531-DF7483.jpg
View Quote
Nice and low profile. I like the shorter base.
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 1:30:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#23]
Nice and low profile. I like the shorter base.
View Quote

Yeah it’s the way to go. I could move it forward a slot and it’d still be further back than the factory mount can go.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 1:32:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Man this thread has me seriously thinking about one of these for my Beretta CX4 but I think I'm still going to stick with buying the new GLX 2X with the 9mm reticle.
2x makes more sense to me for 9mm.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 11:56:34 AM EDT
[#25]
Green vs Red?
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 3:56:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Honda4828:
Green vs Red?
View Quote

Really a user preference thing. For my eyes I like the darker contrast of red. Owned a few green illuminated optics and never had trouble with them. Just a little easier for my eyes to find the edge of the reticle.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 4:27:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 9:37:50 AM EDT
[#28]
Open box deals back in stock for 7.62x 39 and 5.56
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 10:08:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: hodgescl] [#29]
Originally Posted By MRW:
my 1.5x ACOG glass was not as good as the GLX 2x glass.  but that might have been because the GLx had an adjustable diopter
View Quote

With just playing with one for a few minutes, I can see better through the scope at dusk/ just into dark than I can without the scope.  My gen 1 4x prism can’t do that.  So there is a marked improvement. But I can’t compare fresh glass to an Acog no when the only ones I have looked through were quite scuffed and seasoned.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 10:19:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Tomac] [#30]
W/o reading the entire thread, how difficult to use this 3x for close/fast shots?
I love the SLX Micro 1x's I just picked up, now considering the 3x.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 10:59:08 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Tomac:
W/o reading the entire thread, how difficult to use this 3x for close/fast shots?
View Quote
Bout as easy as a 3x acog, if not easier due to the smaller unobtrusive body.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 7:06:30 AM EDT
[#32]

View All Quotes

No they don’t. I’ve had two TA33s and the manual says 3.6” but in use you can use it to 4” or so. The useable eyebox on the TA33 is much more forgiving. I just wish the PA 3x design sacrificed a couple feet off their FOV for another 0.5”-0.75” of eye relief. The reticle is definitely better, so is having a diopter and adjustable brightness. Glass is more than good enough.

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=654467&highlight=ACOG+review

Not to go off on a tangent but here is another example of Trijicon’s eye relief specs being conservative. The TA47 manual and website say 2.1” but in actual use of having one, it is damn near parody with the 1X micro prism. Skip to 1:08. Not my video but convinced me to try a TA47 a long time ago.

The TA47R-2 Compact Acog: The Red Dot Sight Alternative

Originally Posted By Tomac:
Bout as easy as a 3x acog, if not easier due to the smaller unobtrusive body.

It can easily be done with practice.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 7:18:22 AM EDT
[#33]
I have the 1x SLX Micro Prism, and have grown to really like it in place of a red dot.  I've been seriously contemplating a 3x.  I'm guessing the 3x would be a better all arounder than a 5x?  Any word on when the 5x is supposed to be available?
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 8:04:33 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By rauchman:
I have the 1x SLX Micro Prism, and have grown to really like it in place of a red dot.  I've been seriously contemplating a 3x.  I'm guessing the 3x would be a better all arounder than a 5x?  Any word on when the 5x is supposed to be available?
View Quote

If your quick they have blem/open box models for about $100 off.
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 9:57:50 AM EDT
[#35]
Quick question:

How does this do with a standard front sight gas block?  Does the front sight block the view or is the standard height mount high enough to get over it?
I had mounted a 1x-3x optic in a standard height mount and couldn't use it at 1x due to the front sight completely blocking the reticle.
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 10:42:26 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Macchina:
Quick question:

How does this do with a standard front sight gas block?  Does the front sight block the view or is the standard height mount high enough to get over it?
I had mounted a 1x-3x optic in a standard height mount and couldn't use it at 1x due to the front sight completely blocking the reticle.
View Quote

I don't have an fsb, but here's with an mbus pro flipped up
Attachment Attached File

Not obtrusive.
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 12:46:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#37]
Originally Posted By Macchina:
Quick question:

View Quote

It shadows but is still clear. I won’t even run standard FSB’s anymore it annoys me so bad. Others run a red dot looking at the back of the front sight with no issues though.
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 2:24:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Thanks guys! Looks like I missed all the open box deals… signed up for emails on every version
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 9:41:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Eleazer] [#39]
For you guys that got the 3x.  Are you running offsets and what are you running?  Reflex, irons?

Edit:  I got the offset plate with mine for options.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 11:32:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By travisty250:
For you guys that got the 3x.  Are you running offsets and what are you running?  Reflex, irons?

Edit:  I got the offset plate with mine for options.
View Quote

The PA one is good function wise. It and the Arisaka are 35 degrees. Most offset mounts are 45 degrees which kicks it out further than I like. Some of them (like the T-Rex) don’t even line the optic up with the bore making it an astronomical pain to zero.
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 2:35:27 PM EDT
[#41]
I’m not too sure about the screw pattern on the offset mount or what standard it is.  It’s Glock plate compatible, but do you need a plate if you got say an slx-25 or an slx rs-10 or would it mount directly to the mount with the sights included hardware?  If not I’m not sure which plate.  I can’t tell from the descriptions on the PA site.
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 3:29:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#42]
Originally Posted By travisty250:
I’m not too sure about the screw pattern on the offset mount or what standard it is.  It’s Glock plate compatible, but do you need a plate if you got say an slx-25 or an slx rs-10 or would it mount directly to the mount with the sights included hardware?  If not I’m not sure which plate.  I can’t tell from the descriptions on the PA site.
View Quote

My RS10 mounted right on it. I only bought the offset mount because I couldn’t mount my RS10 on anything else. The Docter pattern needs to die a slow painful death. I wasted $100 trying to mount my RS10 on a pistol only to find out there are two different standards.

If you run anything other than the RS10 I recommend the Arisaka 35 degree. Not only a better design but a thousand times less of a headache trying to figure out the plates.

Primary Arms is now standardizing on RMR pattern it seems. VERY wise choice.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 12:38:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Eleazer] [#43]
Dang, I should have skipped their integrated offset plate.

Edit:  An adapter plate wouldn’t seem ideal, but should still work.  The Glock plates like kind of crappy.  The description should specify doctor cut.

Edit2:  there are quality aftermarket plates that are optic specific like CHPW in either steel or aluminum.  I think I’ll choose an optic and get a plate for that.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 1:35:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TREETOP] [#44]
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 7:53:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By TREETOP:
I've been curiously following this thread since its beginning, I've been interested in this 3x Micro but haven't been able to justify the purchase since I have a couple 4x ACOGs on rifles already (TA01NSN and TA31RCO), but I keep returning to the idea of this optic and I like the size and weight of it.
I was finally able to handle one at a gunshow in December, and I've been thinking about it since, I was impressed with the clarity and liked the reticle. I finally pulled the trigger on one just now since I got an Amazon gift card from my brother for my birthday. I would have rather purchased direct or from Optics Planet in order to use a discount code, but using the Amazon credit and Credit Card points for most of the remainder got it well within my currently tight budget.

I'll be putting it on a very simple 16" midlength carbine, I'm looking forward to its arrival.
View Quote
You will not regret it.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 10:35:57 PM EDT
[#46]
I was playing around with it on my 20" A2 again today. I took it outside to play around. I may need another one.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 10:41:16 PM EDT
[#47]
You will not regret it.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TREETOP:
I've been curiously following this thread since its beginning, I've been interested in this 3x Micro but haven't been able to justify the purchase since I have a couple 4x ACOGs on rifles already (TA01NSN and TA31RCO), but I keep returning to the idea of this optic and I like the size and weight of it.
I was finally able to handle one at a gunshow in December, and I've been thinking about it since, I was impressed with the clarity and liked the reticle. I finally pulled the trigger on one just now since I got an Amazon gift card from my brother for my birthday. I would have rather purchased direct or from Optics Planet in order to use a discount code, but using the Amazon credit and Credit Card points for most of the remainder got it well within my currently tight budget.

I'll be putting it on a very simple 16" midlength carbine, I'm looking forward to its arrival.
You will not regret it.

Second. The simple 16” rifle is where this optic shines. Lightweight, etched reticle still works with dead batteries, clear glass, and enough magnification for the range of a mid length barrel.
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 3:50:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Eleazer] [#48]
Are the torque specs in the manual correct?  Seems very high to me.  For the base to the scope it says tighten the 10-32 screws to 25-30 inch lbs and for the cross bolts on the base 55-60 inch lbs?

Edit:  Just found in the thread where the PA rep says the spec is correct.  RTFB I guess.  It doesn’t feel right, seems way tight.  I suppose it does have a lifetime warranty so I should just run the thing.  I have to say that I am amazed at this products glass clarity and brightness for the price.  I picked it up for $280 over the St. Patrick’s Day sale and now I’m looking at picking up another one.  I really like the ACSS Raptor reticle as well.
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 12:07:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Just playing around with my wife's on my A2. Next time there's a sale I might grab another one.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 12:38:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#50]
Originally Posted By 03RN:
Just playing around with my wife's on my A2. Next time there's a sale I might grab another one.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/433221/IMG_20230405_111852_jpg-2771365.JPG
View Quote

I have two 3X and one 1X now. Adding a 5X when they come out too. Love these things.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 21
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top