Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 21
Posted: 8/2/2021 6:08:20 PM EDT
Hey, Primary Arms - continuing off of the SLX 1x microprism thread here. Any news on that 3x, even a rough ballpark timeline? I'd love to see a worthwhile ~$300 ACOG competitor that actually looks the part.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 10:28:45 AM EDT
[#1]
@primaryarms

are there plans to redesign the 12 oclock piggyback mount?
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 10:53:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By gundealsbrowser:
@primaryarms

are there plans to redesign the 12 oclock piggyback mount?
View Quote

Seconded. I don’t think ADM is on here but I’m sure they or a similar company could make a killing if they made something durable.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 11:38:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Miles_Urbanus:

Looks awesome! How is cheek weld?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 03RN:
Would the 3X be recommended and suitable for a 20” A4 style rifle?

On the carry handle?

No I was going to take the carry handle off and put it on the receiver rail. But I’m no expert.

Should work fine either way. I kinda like them on the carry handle
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/433221/IMG_20230911_151228_2_jpg-2952794.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/433221/IMG_20230405_111852_jpg-2771365_jpeg-2952795.JPG

Looks awesome! How is cheek weld?

It's not as tight as irons but I do like my optics a little higher on ARs
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 9:25:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By JustDaniel:
This is Penny. I built her around the 3x micro (my third slx 3x). She weighs in at 7.1 lbs and shoots like a dream.

https://i.vgy.me/NOeaOK.jpg
View Quote

Nice setup.  Curious how you like the stock

I have the 1x, 3x and 5x PA Micro prisms.  Of the 3, the 3x is my fav.  It seems to have the most versatility in usage.  The FOV is noticeably better than the 5x, and the big upside down 3/4 circle is very quick to acquire close in (it does have it's challenges further out in that the thickness can block detail at times).  I'd guess, for a 35-300+ yard optic, it's ideal and can work decently enough closer in and further out.  One can arguably get by with back up irons and this optic.  IMHO, of the three, the 3x is the SHTF optic.

The 1x is fantastic for close in.  I have it mounted on my HD gun.  No issues with eye box at all at any length I'd realistically use.  I have a 3x magnifier I use with it sometimes giving it added flexibility.  I have an older Aimpoint C3 that I use on another rifle. Comparatively, the 1x is noticeably lighter and is very quick in usage for close in.  For me, I'm still a little quicker with the Aimpoint, and there is zero noticeable parallax effect, which I do notice a smidge with the 1x.  However, etched reticle, lower weight, and not getting grape clusters allowing for some level of precision resonates with me.

The 5x is turning out to be something more specialized in usage.  IMHO, 5x becomes very challenging close in.  As mentioned, the FOV is decent, but not great.  Converted to 1x, the 5x is 101' at 100 yards, with the 3x being 114' at 100 yards.  You notice the difference.  IMHO, this one really needs an MRDS to go with it for an overall package.  Eyebox is decent.  I believe the 3x and 5x are listed as having the same eye relief, however the 3x's eye box seems easier to use.
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 12:23:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: radar1225S] [#5]
I ended up snagging a FDE 1x. Once it shows up and I get some hands on I’ll decide if I still want to try the 3x. Originally all I wanted was the 3x but I talked myself out of it and went with the 1x strictly for my application.
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 12:35:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By radar1225S:
I ended up snagging a FDE 1x. Once it shows up and I get some hands on I’ll decide if I still want to try the 3x. Originally all I wanted was the 3x but I talked myself out of it and went with the 1x
View Quote

I was very happy with my 1X but the 3X blew my mind. As in it took me a lot of research and thought process to understand how they even pulled it off. My expectations weren’t very high but it was beyond that.
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 12:40:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Just got my 2nd 3x in. First one is my wife's on her 16" lw AR. I'm having analysis paralysis on where I want to put this one. M1 garand, 20"A2, 14.5" carbine, or 11.5.
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 12:44:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Damn y’all now I’m gonna have to buy a 3x to try anyways. You bastards
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 1:37:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By radar1225S:
Damn y’all now I’m gonna have to buy a 3x to try anyways. You bastards
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

The Aimpoint T2 is the only other optic I’ve owned multiple copies at once if that tells you anything. I’m just waiting for FDE to try the 5X too.
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 3:30:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Just got my 2nd 3x in. First one is my wife's on her 16" lw AR. I'm having analysis paralysis on where I want to put this one. M1 garand
View Quote

Is Fluffy still around? Don't let him know.
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 7:03:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By HighpowerRifleBrony:

View All Quotes
Just got my 2nd 3x in. First one is my wife's on her 16" lw AR. I'm having analysis paralysis on where I want to put this one. M1 garand

It's non permanent
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 9:42:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Attachment Attached File

I think I'm going to keep it on her for a while
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 2:13:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Willmar:

I’m late to this but the Sig is almost a full pound heavier?
View Quote

Seems to be a trade in usability and weight. I have a Burris 3x micro prism and a sig bravo 5. The bravo is heavy, but is also far easier to look through. I would definitely try them both and decide on the use case and what you are willing to give up. The micros do give up some vision I think for weight gains.
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 3:39:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Aggie_Gunner] [#14]

Holy Crap! After some research, that appears to be the "Cogburn Arsenal" mount... I never knew such a beast existed!  I now have a burning NEED for it!
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 5:04:58 PM EDT
[#15]
This is Penny. I built her around the 3x micro (my third slx 3x). She weighs in at 7.1 lbs and shoots like a dream.

View Quote

Given the location you have the sight mounted (and with the rear BUIS mounted forward of the SLx), you could probably change the cantilever part to the straight riser, mount it all the way to the rear, and have the optic at about the same position as you do now.

That's what I did, and I think it's a bit more robust setup.

YMMV but I thought it was worth a mention.
Link Posted: 10/2/2023 10:33:55 PM EDT
[#16]

Man, you should have heard the wailing and gnashing of teeth when my parents needed a “bear gun” for their property and I took a Woodless Dane (Garand) and mounted a pic rail, a Trijicon Reflex, and a weapon light….
Link Posted: 10/2/2023 11:33:33 PM EDT
[#17]
A modern sight makes a Garand awesomer 😁

Attachment Attached File

… and to keep it on topic, my Cogburn arsenal mount for my newly acquired 3X Prism should be here any day!
Link Posted: 10/3/2023 2:02:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/3/2023 6:52:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Shooting at 200 yards my best group was 1.7" and a lot of 2.25-3" groups.

Its 1" low at 50 and 2.5" low at 25. At 25 yards I'm keeping hits inside the A zone just under a second from the low ready.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/3/2023 11:09:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gutlessdoe] [#20]
Originally Posted By -OdieGreen-:
Got the new cantilever ADM mount in today. FDE and it’s blatantly obvious these were made for the MP’s and not ACOG’s. Lines up perfectly everywhere.

Also got my second 3X MP, this time in FDE. With the Magpul MBUS Gen III I can get it a couple slots further back over the Gen II. Will try and check how it compares to the regular mount placement wise as the profile on the ADM means it’s a little more forgiving on overlap with the new MBUS. It’s touching the MBUS Gen III but you can still pull a piece of paper out from between them. Almost like they designed it around them.

https://i.ibb.co/JkccsN0/D6-B4-D87-A-DD8-F-4-CE2-A6-B8-75625-FD5-B035.jpg

ETA: Factory mount with Gen II MBUS versus ADM AD-B2-C and Gen III MBUS.
https://i.ibb.co/r2B27TS/1-B489-FDB-22-A4-4-C23-858-E-CBF66-D2-C7404.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/vPKVR3t/EDA88627-C2-BD-46-BC-91-E5-00-E3-B1-AE11-EE.jpg
View Quote

Man this is a slick setup I’ve been eyeballing for months to duplicate. I just ordered the AD-B2-C and a 3x to go with it, but I’m just noticing now on the ADM website the AD-B2-C looks SLIGHTLY lower than yours. Also there is a warning on the order page that states it won’t fit over BUIS. Any chance they altered the height of the -C since you got yours? Maybe when the introduced the other height models with lightening cuts?

Hopefully it’s just an optical illusion because I have the Mbus 3 read and I’ve screenshot your build as inspiration for a while and I’m gonna be bummed if it’s not as perfect

Hopefully it’s an optical illusion from the pictures on ADMs site!

Edit: okay I’m almost positive the new -S looks more like your “-C”!!! Any chance you have a HoB measurement? I guess I’ll find out either way soon
Link Posted: 10/4/2023 12:44:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#21]
Originally Posted By Gutlessdoe:

Man this is a slick setup I’ve been eyeballing for months to duplicate. I just ordered the AD-B2-C and a 3x to go with it, but I’m just noticing now on the ADM website the AD-B2-C looks SLIGHTLY lower than yours. Also there is a warning on the order page that states it won’t fit over BUIS. Any chance they altered the height of the -C since you got yours? Maybe when the introduced the other height models with lightening cuts?

Hopefully it’s just an optical illusion because I have the Mbus 3 read and I’ve screenshot your build as inspiration for a while and I’m gonna be bummed if it’s not as perfect

Hopefully it’s an optical illusion from the pictures on ADMs site!

Edit: okay I’m almost positive the new -S looks more like your “-C”!!! Any chance you have a HoB measurement? I guess I’ll find out either way soon
View Quote

Mine is the discontinued first generation but I’m 95% sure they were 1.54 like the S. Mine clears the Gen 3 MBUS by a hair. As in I could pull out a piece of paper but not fit a credit card between them. Haven’t had any zero issues and it hasn’t tried to pop the sight up like the PA mount did for me with Gen 2 MBUS in similar spacing. Worst case scenario you might be able to move it another slot forward.

I’d have went with the 1.64 if it was available back then, and would typically recommend going that route.

ETA: Looking at the new ones they might have thickened the mounting tang. So it might not be a height over bore difference, they might have just beefed it up. Hopefully it works and please update on what you find. If the original was 1.5 I’m in disbelief that even a 1.64 model can’t clear the MBUS 3.
Link Posted: 10/4/2023 6:51:55 AM EDT
[#22]
They were refering to the old magpul buis sights that are thicker. Can confirm that the 1.64" height will not fit over the old magpul sights.
Link Posted: 10/4/2023 10:10:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Gutlessdoe] [#23]

Mine is the discontinued first generation but I’m 95% sure they were 1.54 like the S. Mine clears the Gen 3 MBUS by a hair. As in I could pull out a piece of paper but not fit a credit card between them. Haven’t had any zero issues and it hasn’t tried to pop the sight up like the PA mount did for me with Gen 2 MBUS in similar spacing. Worst case scenario you might be able to move it another slot forward.

I’d have went with the 1.64 if it was available back then, and would typically recommend going that route.

https://i.ibb.co/g7PFdn8/5-FD158-AB-F2-A7-4238-A76-D-70-B531-DF7483.jpg

ETA: Looking at the new ones they might have thickened the mounting tang. So it might not be a height over bore difference, they might have just beefed it up. Hopefully it works and please update on what you find. If the original was 1.5 I’m in disbelief that even a 1.64 model can’t clear the MBUS 3.
View Quote

I have emailed them, hopefully I can change it out before they ship it. The closer to absolute height the better for me it just feels so comfy. But 1.64 might be the better option.

Link Posted: 10/4/2023 10:15:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#24]
Originally Posted By Joedirt199:
They were refering to the old magpul buis sights that are thicker. Can confirm that the 1.64" height will not fit over the old magpul sights.
View Quote

Correct and that’s the difference we’re talking about. The first generation 1.5 mount cleared Gen 3 MBUS. The new generation 1.5 mount apparently doesn’t.
Link Posted: 10/4/2023 10:22:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By PowderBurnsNC:

Given the location you have the sight mounted (and with the rear BUIS mounted forward of the SLx), you could probably change the cantilever part to the straight riser, mount it all the way to the rear, and have the optic at about the same position as you do now.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By PowderBurnsNC:

That mount was temporary. It now has a QD mount
Link Posted: 10/4/2023 10:25:42 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By rauchman:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By rauchman:

I like it. I use B5s on everything so I chose the fixed bravo for the weight savings.
Link Posted: 10/4/2023 1:02:19 PM EDT
[#27]

https://i.ibb.co/g7PFdn8/5-FD158-AB-F2-A7-4238-A76-D-70-B531-DF7483.jpg

View Quote

Confirmed with ADM, these mounts in their current generation have different clearances compared to the 1st Gen, take note of their clearly posted notices on the product page. Hopefully they will take care of their lowest common denominator customers such as myself lol. Bummer that they kept the product code the same for both generations but maybe I’ll slow down and read more carefully next time!
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 6:57:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cincinnatus] [#28]
Link Posted: 10/7/2023 1:04:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 9:39:28 AM EDT
[#30]
View Quote

How's the length of pull/eye relief?
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 9:41:34 AM EDT
[#31]
Had the 3x on my rifle during a 4 day canoe trip where it got bumped around quite a bit. We'll see how the zero is next time I go shoot. I like the optic a lot but I'm just not sure how rugged they are for long term use.
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 9:45:31 AM EDT
[#32]
Had the 3x on my rifle during a 4 day canoe trip where it got bumped around quite a bit. We'll see how the zero is next time I go shoot. I like the optic a lot but I'm just not sure how rugged they are for long term use.
View Quote

Hurry up and test the zero, enquiring minds want to know!
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 11:19:56 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By mooreshawnm:

View All Quotes

Link Posted: 10/11/2023 11:48:26 AM EDT
[#34]

Probably Friday
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 2:36:57 PM EDT
[#35]

How's the length of pull/eye relief?
View Quote

Very Good... no issues at all.  And it sits very low.  Not full cheek weld, but not chin weld either... in between.  I feel like I am going to really like the setup.
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 1:31:49 AM EDT
[#36]
Anyone mounted one of these on a bolt gun? I've been thinking about putting on on an 18" .308 bolt gun with Pic base over the receiver but I'm not sure it'll work well with the height over bore and eye relief (I shoot rifles with a giraffe-neck)
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 2:17:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 03RN] [#37]

View Quote

So I got out today. There was a 3" shift to the right at 200 yards.

I had cleaned the barrel when I got home from my canoe trip but I'm not sure that was it. I think on a carry handle the biggest weakness is the single screw attachment. With the rifle stock I also have the screw in the farthest forward hole in the cantilever mount further exasperating any leverage present.

When I got home I tightened the screw 180°. Due to the rubber on the screw I didn't tighten it until I couldn't. It was very tight and not moveable by hand. You need a metal rod to turn it. I just didn't want to break it

I think using the middle hole on a carbine it would be less of an issue.

At 50 it was right on except the normal elevation difference.

If I was just shooting my 8" steel I never would have noticed the shift.

While I'm not happy I don't think it's an optic issue. Worst case scenario I put it on a carbine if just tightening it down a little and letting it settle a little bit doesn't fix it
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 2:23:06 PM EDT
[#38]

I had cleaned the barrel when I got home but I'm not sure that was it. I think on a carry handle the biggest weakness is the single screw attachment. With the rifle stock I also have the screw in the farthest forward hole in the cantilever mount further exasperating any leverage present.

When I got home I tightened the screw 180°. Due to the rubber on the screw I didn't tighten it until I couldn't. It was very tight and not moveable by hand. You need a metal rod to turn it. I just didn't want to break it

While I'm not happy I don't think it's an optic issue. Worst case scenario I put it on a carbine if just tightening it down a little and letting it settle a little bit doesn't fix it
View All Quotes

I had cleaned the barrel when I got home but I'm not sure that was it. I think on a carry handle the biggest weakness is the single screw attachment. With the rifle stock I also have the screw in the farthest forward hole in the cantilever mount further exasperating any leverage present.

This is appreciated. I’ve bought two of these including one on my go to rifle.
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 2:26:31 PM EDT
[#39]

View All Quotes

No problem. What mount are you count to use?
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 2:35:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mooreshawnm] [#40]

View All Quotes

I’m just using the stock ones now but haven’t put the rifle through any abuse.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/12/2023 3:10:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#41]

I had cleaned the barrel when I got home from my canoe trip but I'm not sure that was it. I think on a carry handle the biggest weakness is the single screw attachment. With the rifle stock I also have the screw in the farthest forward hole in the cantilever mount further exasperating any leverage present.

View Quote

Did you thread lock it? This was a regular issue with ACOG’s back when I joined here and there was a lot of debate amongst the GWOT guys about how to keep carry handle mounts from coming loose. I vaguely remember guys saying you’ll know it’s tight enough using a quarter when it starts bending.
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 3:13:19 PM EDT
[#42]

When I got home I tightened the screw 180 . Due to the rubber on the screw I didn't tighten it until I couldn't. It was very tight and not moveable by hand. You need a metal rod to turn it. I just didn't want to break it

View Quote
Could you drill another hole in the handle for a second bolt?
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 3:43:52 PM EDT
[#43]

Did you thread lock it? This was a regular issue with ACOG’s back when I joined here and there was a lot of debate amongst the GWOT guys about how to keep carry handle mounts from coming loose. I vaguely remember guys saying you’ll know it’s tight enough using a quarter when it starts bending.
View All Quotes

It's an A2 so I'm not worried about the carry handle getting loose
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 3:44:50 PM EDT
[#44]
View All Quotes

When I got home I tightened the screw 180 . Due to the rubber on the screw I didn't tighten it until I couldn't. It was very tight and not moveable by hand. You need a metal rod to turn it. I just didn't want to break it

I could. It's just that it's a govt surplused FN upper that I really don't want to drill into.
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 7:10:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#45]

View Quote

Ha! I meant the A2 specific mounting nut.
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 8:19:12 PM EDT
[#46]

View All Quotes

Sorry, the trijicon bolt I got doesn't have a slot to use a quarter. It has 2 holes drilled through it to use a rod of some sort to help tighten. I thought you meant an a4 carry handle
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 9:13:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#47]

Sorry, the trijicon bolt I got doesn't have a slot to use a quarter. It has 2 holes drilled through it to use a rod of some sort to help tighten. I thought you meant an a4 carry handle
View Quote

Yeah I could have worded it better. I’m on PTO and my buddy Jack Daniels came for an impromptu visit.

You thread lock it though? I’d be partially reluctant to do so on a carry handle mount but there’s always a soldering iron if you need to remove it later.
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 9:44:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JAFFE] [#48]
For those with the 1x and the 3x, any size difference of the reticle at normal eye relief?

I've got the 1x, and the reticle is good enough for close work, but small enough to my eyes I'd have problems at distance.

Debating whether to put another 1x on my A2 carbine, or go to the 3x, or drop in an ACOG 4-32 of some flavor.

TIA

eta - I am scrolling through the thread incase someone posted images or something, it'll take me a while.

edit 2 - only direct info I saw (may have missed a post or three) was on page 5, but no direct comparison pics.  I'll likely get one to try.  Might be another month or two.  If there aren't comparison pics by then I'll do a quick set.

Originally Posted By woolgar:

I think so. Compared to the Micro 1x the reticle seems almost twice the size. It's easy to see the BDC dots, tho they still aren't illuminated, just the chevron and horseshoe. But the fact that I can see them means theyre actually usable vs the ranging ladder on the 1x. I dont have a vortex or burris to compare to, only the micro 1x, but like I said I was impressed enough to immediately pre-order the 7.62 version as well. I really think at this price point its a great compromise of clarity and weight savings to $$ ratio. To me the weight is the biggest factor and why I ordered these to begin with. I was kinda disappointed in how small the reticle is on the 1x, but that will just get delegated to a 10/22 now. Hopefully I can make it to the range this weekend and follow up.

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/12/2023 10:12:07 PM EDT
[#49]

Yeah I could have worded it better. I’m on PTO and my buddy Jack Daniels came for an impromptu visit.

You thread lock it though? I’d be partially reluctant to do so on a carry handle mount but there’s always a soldering iron if you need to remove it later.
View All Quotes

The knob is oval and it didn't turn. There's just a rubber washer. Because it's oval it's easy to tell it didn't move. I'm wondering if the surfaces aren't perfectly mated. Maybe a layer of electrical tape would help
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 6:58:57 AM EDT
[#50]
Ofcourse there is a size difference from 1x to 3x. Think first focal plane reticle scope. The reticle gets bigger as the power goes up. I have both and can get you pictures through the optics but it will have to wait till after work tonight. I use the 1x as a reddot alternative since my uncorrected eyes make reddots a star. Have found out that the bigger the reddot, the less star effect it has so 6 moa dots work better for me.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 21
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top