Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2004 7:31:41 PM EDT
You know once again there are so many?? I like the idea of the ones I have seen in the bushmaster catalog, more or less a standard AR or Ergo grip mounted on a rail. These would seem to me to be better ergonomically when shooting? I have a straight handle one, but I often find myself grabbing the mag well and mag more than the grip. Are these really even worth it if you do not have a full auto. I can definetly see it's uses on full auto, but just double tap drills, etc...? Let me know about the ergo grips though. Thanks
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 8:40:25 PM EDT
[#1]
 Vertical fore grips with any angle backwards (i.e. pistolgrip mounted on the front rail) is terrible, ergonomicly speaking.  I know this contradicts your statement, but without even holding a  rifle, put yours hands up as if shouldering one.  Then experiment with the hand that would be on the fore grip, angle it back, vertical, and forward.  You'll notice right away what a difference alittle angle makes at the wrist. fatigue city!  Now imagine it with the weight of the rifle!!

The vertical grip is around not cos its trendy.  It is proven to allow a shooter to be quicker on target.  The mag well can be used as well, but it positions the front hand way back(some like that).  The vert grip gives you that much more flexibility in mounting options for adjustment in hand position.

All that being said, it comes down to what's comfortable for you.  Some guys hate em...some guys love em

For me...its a vertical!  and theres alot to choose from these days.  From a basic KAC Vert to a TangoDown Vert.

sorry this turned into a longer post then I intended.. hope it helps

Link Posted: 8/27/2004 9:13:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Tagged.  Check this out:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=19&t=199089

Edited to make linky worky.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 6:44:09 AM EDT
[#3]
You know until you mentioned it, I never even thought about it. Then reading your reply, putting my hands up in the air, angling my hand as if I was holding an ergo grip..... Well needless to say I feel like an idiot now!!! That would be fatigue city!!!! I think I will probably go with the Tango Down grip, as I can store a spare bolt and have a slot for the flash light switcher. Thanks, for the comments!
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 1:57:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Check these from TDI Arms TDI Arms
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 5:30:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Not to hijack the thread but which vertical grip can I use and/or will fit with the M33 handguards? I already called a few places and they confirmed that the Tango Down won't work (that was my first option). They just recommended the Fobus but I do not like that one. My options GG&G and KAC; Will any of these fit?
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 5:40:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I  own Tango Down VG, and they are very comfortable. I've also tried knight's before switching to TD, but Knight's was too slim, and had a sharp edges on the bottom of the grip, which was very abbrasive on my palm.

Other than looking like a dildo (especially the Tan one), I say go with TangoDown.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 8:42:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I have the KAC, but next time I will get the Tango Down, I want to try that too.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 8:59:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Knights - comfortable
Tangodown -  just too fat for me
Dieter CQB - very comfortable just right, and hella stout piece of kit, my 1st choice
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 8:07:10 AM EDT
[#9]
TangoDown.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 3:05:52 PM EDT
[#10]
HEY GUYS I WENT TO A GUN SHOW TODAY AND FOUND A NO NAME VERTICAL GRIP.  I ALSO  GOT A NO NAME MOUNT FOR IT TO FIT MY DISSIPATOR HAND GUARDS.  THE FIT AND FINISH WAS NOT AS GOOD AS GG&G, BUT THE PRICE WAS A HELL OF A LOT CHEAPER.  IT'S VERY STURDY, MORE THAN I THOUGHT AT FIRST SIGHT.  I KEPT GOING BACK AND FORTH BETWEEN THE GG&G AND THIS NO NAME VG.  I FINALLY PUT MYSELF OUT OF MISERY AND MADE A DECISION.  MY EMPTY POCKETS HAD A BIG FACTOR IN GETTING THE NO NAME VG.  IT COST ME $30.00 AND THE GG&G WOULD OF COST ME $55.00 FOR THE VG AND ANOTHER $25.00 FOR THE HANDGUARD MOUNT.  I KNOW ALOT OF YOU ARE GOING TO TELL ME YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!  BUT I HONESTLY CAN'T SEE THAT BIG OF DIFF.  DOES ANYBODY KNOW ABOUT THESE NO NAME VG'S, SOMEONE SAID THEY WHERE CHINA MADE?
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 4:04:51 PM EDT
[#11]
I just bought a vertical foregrip for $14.99 at CDNN Investments (as part of a larger order).  Heck, it even comes with a picatinney rail to mount it to CAR handguards.  I figure it is the cheap way to find out if I like vertical foregrips, and even if I don't like it I still have the bolt-on rail for other uses!

Dawg
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 9:18:47 PM EDT
[#12]
i got the KAC
am satisfied--its lightweight, simple, w/ a good feel
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 10:22:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Can anyone point me to a pic of a KAC or Tango Down vertical grip?  Thanks.

-YJ
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 12:28:28 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Knights - comfortable
Tangodown -  just too fat for me
Dieter CQB - very comfortable just right, and hella stout piece of kit, my 1st choice

+1 CQD

Remman
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 2:53:34 PM EDT
[#15]
+1 for Tango Down
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:36:46 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Now that is one goofy fuckin' set up. No decent control or aiming of EITHER weapon, and the job either requires a pistol or a rifle, but NEVER some half ass combination of the two. Holster the pistol for back up (secondary weapon). Both hands on the rifle (primary weapon). What is this shit? The only thing that would make the photo better is if the guy was wearing a viking helmet, a big red clown nose and a fake "Steve Martin" arrow-through-the-head.

Pretty sure this smiley () was made for this exact photo.

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 9:19:22 PM EDT
[#18]
The Glock needs to be reg'd SBR too

That's just......dumb
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 9:04:47 AM EDT
[#19]

www.makosecurity.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/FFG2f.jpg

I believe this is the same folding grip Beretta is now selling with its logo on it for the storm.

Anyone tryone? Interesting idea.

https://www.berettausa.com/product/product_proshop_main.htm
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 9:26:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 7:24:21 PM EDT
[#21]
+1 for the TangoDown!

I just wish mine had come with the TD sticker!  

-Hershey
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 6:14:38 PM EDT
[#22]
aside from the absurb glock-under-AR deal (at shot show they said something about mounting a TASER there...which makes infinitely more sense to me....), i picked up one of the TDI/Mako "K" grip (the last one pictured on the mini-uzi) and am very happy with it.
for me, it is the perfect width in my hand and a length just enough to get my whole hand on without having excess.  mounts very securely also (although not in any way quick to detach).
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 9:14:14 PM EDT
[#23]
GG&G or Tango down because of the added storage compartment feature for extra batteries etc.The KAC is more comfortable than the rest imo.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:38:44 PM EDT
[#24]
i have and use both td and kac vert. grips.  after extended use and the heat build up on my m4gery, the td seems to feel loose.
i think my next vfg will be a dieter, purchased from one of our industry partners on the e.e.

please support our industry partners!!!!!! they support this site.

meat
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:54:27 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
HEY GUYS I WENT TO A GUN SHOW TODAY AND FOUND A NO NAME VERTICAL GRIP.  I ALSO  GOT A NO NAME MOUNT FOR IT TO FIT MY DISSIPATOR HAND GUARDS.  THE FIT AND FINISH WAS NOT AS GOOD AS GG&G, BUT THE PRICE WAS A HELL OF A LOT CHEAPER.  IT'S VERY STURDY, MORE THAN I THOUGHT AT FIRST SIGHT.  I KEPT GOING BACK AND FORTH BETWEEN THE GG&G AND THIS NO NAME VG.  I FINALLY PUT MYSELF OUT OF MISERY AND MADE A DECISION.  MY EMPTY POCKETS HAD A BIG FACTOR IN GETTING THE NO NAME VG.  IT COST ME $30.00 AND THE GG&G WOULD OF COST ME $55.00 FOR THE VG AND ANOTHER $25.00 FOR THE HANDGUARD MOUNT.  I KNOW ALOT OF YOU ARE GOING TO TELL ME YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!  BUT I HONESTLY CAN'T SEE THAT BIG OF DIFF.  DOES ANYBODY KNOW ABOUT THESE NO NAME VG'S, SOMEONE SAID THEY WHERE CHINA MADE?

I bet it fits nicely on that airsoft rifle you got too....
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 8:05:11 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I bet it fits nicely on that airsoft rifle you got too....

Yeah, everyone knows that unless it's expensive, it sucks.

Anyway, the CQD is the best VG out there, IMHO.  The TD and KAC feel like toys next to it.  The TD grip has a lot going for it, it's just not as solid feeling.  I don't really like the attachment method on the KAC.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 10:51:13 AM EDT
[#27]
I prefer the original KAC vertical foregrip.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 10:31:02 PM EDT
[#28]
TangoDown is the heat .

PP out
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 9:39:11 AM EDT
[#29]

Guess I'll be the first to champion the dark horse from Falcon Industries. It's big and beefy, features an O-ring sealed storage cavity, and locks on with a Weaver-type clamp/thumbnut arrangement which enables it to fit center-cut and non-milspec rails. Not to mention that Brownells carries 'em, and the Trade Discount price is very attractive!

My other VG is the rubberized one from SOG. It's shorter, smaller and lighter than the Falcon, but still features an internal storage space. Locks onto the rail with a single slotted crossbolt, which is fine unless you want to move or remove the grip a lot. It's a good fit with my SPR, where the foregrip doesn't need to mount a tapeswitch and is for secondary use (I primarily shoot the gun off the bipod).

I've tried and discarded the aluminum DPMS locking post style (too heavy, no storage, conducts heat) and the Advanced Armament KAC knock-off (too skinny, neck is potential breakpoint).

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:28:04 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

www.makosecurity.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/FFG2f.jpg

I believe this is the same folding grip Beretta is now selling with its logo on it for the storm.

Anyone tryone? Interesting idea.
https://www.berettausa.com/product/product_proshop_main.htm

Yes, it is.  I got one (with the Beretta logo) for my Storm, but I haven't mounted/tried it yet.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 9:49:21 AM EDT
[#31]
I think that there are a lot of things to consider when adding a vertical foregrip to your gun.   I have found, that if you are mounting a plastic piece to a plastic piece, it doesnt seem to be very sturdy and strong.  You can twist the handguards a bit when you do that.   I found that out the hard way.  The way I fixed this was to buy a Aluminum handguard set from Bushmaster, and I found a aluminum vertical foregrip from Wilson Combat.   After putting this all together, there is no play, no movement, and the gun is much more solid now.   I have seen guys in classes yank thier vertical foregrips right off the gun and break thier handguards at the same time because of it.   But with metal on metal, you are solid as a rock.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 9:53:53 AM EDT
[#32]
http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/bmas/yhm-9670.asp

http://www.wilsoncombat.com/r_foregrip.asp

Here is the setup that I have found to be indestructable.....
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 3:21:32 AM EDT
[#33]
This turned out to be a very interesting post. One thing I found out was that a straight grip is much better than an angled grip, by far!!! I was looking at it more asthetically and not practically. You know what I have found out is that once you start using a vertical grip it is hard to go back to just the handguards. I have used handguards for what 10yrs, vertical grip maybe 6 monthes. Now I pick up and AR w/o a vertical grip on it and it feels unnatural???

Right now I have a grip with no storage compartment, the Tango Down or other one seems like the best option at the moment. I like the idea of either being able to store a spare bolt or a couple of batteries.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 2:07:04 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
i have and use both td and kac vert. grips.  after extended use and the heat build up on my m4gery, the td seems to feel loose.
i think my next vfg will be a dieter, purchased from one of our industry partners on the e.e.

please support our industry partners!!!!!! they support this site.

meat

The CQD is the toughest VG out there.  if you needed to beat someone to death this would be your VG.  Its built like a F&%*ing Tank.  it suprisingly light.  and it has a water proof storage.  it also mounts very solid.  there is no play what so ever.  Ill post pics of mine on my LMT/DD upper this monday.
For More Info

Remman

Link Posted: 9/23/2004 2:19:04 PM EDT
[#35]
+1 for the CQD

I tried the ARMS abomination but felt it too awkward.  I liked the throw lever though.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 2:29:28 PM EDT
[#36]
After months of grueling testing, the TD Vert has been adopted as THE Vertical for the Navy's MK48.  

says something about its quality!

to quote PincoPalla and others "ITS THE HEAT"

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 6:23:34 AM EDT
[#37]
I've tried TangoDown and KAC, but I love the Falcon grip Metal core, rubber coated I believe.

I also have an ARMS 23 on my rifle. Feels good to me. However, I think the straight "broom stick" grips are ideal for CQB in addition to ranged.

Vert grips are like anything, it's what suits your needs best.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 11:46:56 AM EDT
[#38]
Vertical grips are a personal selection as far as the size goes.  You need to try them while shooting to really be able to evaluate a TD versus a KAC or GG&G.  I found that the TD feels the best.  

Another consideration is how well it fits the rail.  TD has a very strong system - two locking bars rather than a nub sticking up in the slot.

TD for me!
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 3:25:04 PM EDT
[#39]
i just got the TDI short vetical grip i ordered and i think that it fits rear well and just perfect length.

but i still think the best grip would be the one on the surefire m900
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:45:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 12:43:04 PM EDT
[#41]
I love my Dieter CQD...

Link Posted: 9/26/2004 4:51:05 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:......has been adopted as THE Vertical for the Navy's MK48.  

Unfortunately I'm not allowed to show any pics yet but it'll be mounted on the next U.S.Army assault rifle too .

PP out
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 2:03:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Pinco's in the loop...hmmmm, what could that weapon be?  
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:37:47 PM EDT
[#44]

Link Posted: 9/30/2004 1:39:21 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
FYI... My Review of the TDI short VFG

Well, it just takes me to the first page of the AR Discussions forum.  Maybe be more specific, please?
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 10:35:55 PM EDT
[#46]
uhh, surefire - why not have a VG that can be a highpower flashlight if you need it.  Its what i use and its what i suggest.  Now, the price will obviously be much much higher but i think its worth it.  If you end up liking the VG style i would definately give the Surefire a look.

the surefure options

my .02
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 7:11:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Where can I find a CQD Vertical Grip?
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:33:56 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Where can I find a CQD Vertical Grip?

MSTN

Link to sight in Industry forums.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top