Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/18/2005 3:03:07 PM EDT
Does anyone know of a cover for the recess in the CQD VFG that is for the light switch tape?  I just got one and love it, but don't have a light with a switch plate, and I would like to cover up the huge gap on one whole side of the grip.

PS thanks to DSG for getting the CQD and my BFG Contractor Pak out to me so quickly!

Don
Link Posted: 10/19/2005 3:37:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I guess not huh?
Link Posted: 10/20/2005 11:11:25 AM EDT
[#2]
I've seen some wrapped with Paracord that look nice.
Link Posted: 10/21/2005 11:08:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/21/2005 9:32:48 PM EDT
[#4]
I think I responded to you in a different thread on the subject but I didnt have what you were looking for in an idea.  You can either face the grip the oppsite way on your rails so the flat part will be facing the tips of your fingers or you can cut out a piece of cardboard(or whatever) and cover that with innertube.  I dont think anything is made commercially that will rectify your issue.
Link Posted: 10/22/2005 7:05:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I wrapped mine with paracord.  It works great.
Link Posted: 10/23/2005 10:36:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Can you show me how to secure the wrapping at the end???  I am considering this among other options, but can't figure out how you would secure the ends of the 550 when you get to the end
Link Posted: 10/29/2005 7:58:06 AM EDT
[#7]
If the paracord is nylon it could be glued or melted at the end depending on the depth of the cord in the fins, but you know my method of filling the void.  
Link Posted: 10/30/2005 10:37:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/1/2005 4:34:12 AM EDT
[#9]
...or maybe the Paracord is pulled up thru the drain hole and tied ?
Link Posted: 11/5/2005 10:46:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Saw a pic of the wrap job the other day and couldn't find it today, I'm also looking for someone to post a pic of this.

yakrat101
Link Posted: 11/5/2005 10:57:53 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Saw a pic of the wrap job the other day and couldn't find it today, I'm also looking for someone to post a pic of this.

yakrat101

I saw that pic too

I believe it was wrapped around a Dieter grip. I may have that photo.................... if so I'll be back

couldnt find it but did find this on Maryland AR Shooters site--------> How to wrap paracord

and

How to wrap a knife handle, which would be similar to a VG

Google: Paracord grip  
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 4:59:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Better late than never....
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 9:17:23 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Better late than never....i28.photobucket.com/albums/c231/K_Sniper/CQDWrap.jpg

That is just too cool!
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 6:39:47 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is just too cool!

+1
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 1:01:06 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is just too cool!

+1

+2

It looks different than the instructions that were posted...perhaps showing us how to do it step-step in pics?
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 1:38:07 PM EDT
[#16]
PLEASE!
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 3:04:30 PM EDT
[#17]
doesn't look too hard, just want to know where to tuck the ends of the cord, and where to start, at the bottom or top?
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 7:56:04 PM EDT
[#18]
I emailed him a while back concerning this exact same thing after I saw the pictures and below is the email that he sent me.

Ben,

I was actually very easy. The reason I did it is because there is a machined cut-out on the Dieter VFG for a pressure pad, and I have found it to be somewhat uncomfortable since I dont use any type of pressure pad on my weaponlight set-up.

I used 550 paracord that I ordered off of ebay (im sure you can get it from just about anywhere). After a little experimenting, I settled on first tieing a knot on one end of the cord and putting it through the hole which is located on the top of the grip which leads to another holewhich is located at the very top of the machined pressure pad area and just below (about 1/2 inch) the center/middle hex mounting bolt.

Pull the UNKNOTTED end of the cord throught that hole, and TIGHTLY pull the cord to the left, and fit the cord into the second machined "rib" on the grip and wrap the cord around the bac of the grip, and then across the recessed pressure pad area to the next rib down on the left side again. Repeat this process all the way down to rib second from the bottom (just above the uninterrupted rib at the bottom) Then just reverse the process, and wrap the cord in the same way, back up to the top and pull the end back through the same hole that you started from and pull the cord as tight as possible, and tie it off with anothe knot or two to keep it from fitting back through the hole. Once you get started, you will see it is really easy. Before wrapping the cord onto the grip, I applied a piece of 3M Velcro tape into the recessed pressure pad area, this seemed to help fill the area a bit more. Give yourself more than enough slack with the cord as its always better to have too much, than not enough.

Good luck!

Link Posted: 12/12/2005 1:55:14 PM EDT
[#19]
tag for a new CQD grip owner that has no intentions of using a tape switch in this lifetime or the next.  That paracord trick is pretty damn neat.  Kudos to the artist who started it.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 12:05:18 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I emailed him a while back concerning this exact same thing after I saw the pictures and below is the email that he sent me.

Ben,

I was actually very easy. The reason I did it is because there is a machined cut-out on the Dieter VFG for a pressure pad, and I have found it to be somewhat uncomfortable since I dont use any type of pressure pad on my weaponlight set-up.

I used 550 paracord that I ordered off of ebay (im sure you can get it from just about anywhere). After a little experimenting, I settled on first tieing a knot on one end of the cord and putting it through the hole which is located on the top of the grip which leads to another holewhich is located at the very top of the machined pressure pad area and just below (about 1/2 inch) the center/middle hex mounting bolt.

Pull the UNKNOTTED end of the cord throught that hole, and TIGHTLY pull the cord to the left, and fit the cord into the second machined "rib" on the grip and wrap the cord around the bac of the grip, and then across the recessed pressure pad area to the next rib down on the left side again. Repeat this process all the way down to rib second from the bottom (just above the uninterrupted rib at the bottom) Then just reverse the process, and wrap the cord in the same way, back up to the top and pull the end back through the same hole that you started from and pull the cord as tight as possible, and tie it off with anothe knot or two to keep it from fitting back through the hole. Once you get started, you will see it is really easy. Before wrapping the cord onto the grip, I applied a piece of 3M Velcro tape into the recessed pressure pad area, this seemed to help fill the area a bit more. Give yourself more than enough slack with the cord as its always better to have too much, than not enough.

Good luck!

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 1:17:53 PM EDT
[#21]
I just added some paracord to mine per the fantastic instructions provided above...

works GREAT!!!

Thanks for sharing that trick.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:18:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Not a problem guys, glad to have helped.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:32:09 PM EDT
[#23]
...be careful don't strip out the mounting holes in the V-Bar, those suckers are $20+ - yes I did it right after I got the damn thing, but figured away around it while waiting for said V-Bar to show up at home  - just a word of caution... in case CQD Products 877 822 7161. Its a great VG I just dont understand why they dont make a filler for it ... dont Duane read the boards ?  
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 10:07:10 PM EDT
[#24]
too cool, must wrap mine in olive drab

ETA 550 O/D para cord just bought on ebay. QCD would sell a ton more if they offered this option
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 7:18:28 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I just added some paracord to mine per the fantastic instructions provided above...

works GREAT!!!

Thanks for sharing that trick.

Pics?
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 2:18:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Sweet Taggage
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 12:59:45 AM EDT
[#27]
That paracord is a sexy trick.

I just took some bicycle inner tube, cut off a section to match the recess, folded the tube over a few times so it had the bulk to fill out the recess. Then I slipped (and by slipped, I mean wiggled, jimmied, yanked, and rolled) another section of inner tube to cover the whole grip.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 2:07:09 AM EDT
[#28]
tag
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 12:33:08 PM EDT
[#29]
WOW! Didnt realize my paracord trick got this much attention
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 1:16:31 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
WOW! Didnt realize my paracord trick got this much attention

Sure is kickass!!
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:57:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Thanks! Heres a couple more pics:

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 3:54:49 AM EDT
[#32]
NickDrak,

From the picture I don't get where the knots are tied.  Are they on the "inside" of the grip with the loose end coming through a hole to the outside so you can start your wrap?  I don't have my CQD Vert Grip yet but I plan on doing this when I do.

MadDog
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:18:18 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
NickDrak,

From the picture I don't get where the knots are tied.  Are they on the "inside" of the grip with the loose end coming through a hole to the outside so you can start your wrap?  I don't have my CQD Vert Grip yet but I plan on doing this when I do.

MadDog

Correct, the wrap starts and finishes at the hole located at top/center of the recessed pressure pad area. Check out the directions that I IM'ed INTROOPER4255 posted on pg. 1.

Whatever you do, make sure you follow the directions supplied with the CQD grip and dont over-tighten the 3 bolts! They strip VERY easily!!!
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 1:11:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Nick, you should do a step-step pictural tutorial!

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:07:48 AM EDT
[#35]
If anyone is interested, I have my LaRue BattleLight and Dieter (the same ones pictured above)listed on the EE for sale.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:18:38 AM EDT
[#36]
NickDrak,

I am interested.  I sent you both an IM and an Email.

MadDog
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:38:25 AM EDT
[#37]
Very sweet wrapped like that!!!
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:14:49 PM EDT
[#38]

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:49:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Looks nice!
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:51:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:59:30 PM EDT
[#41]

Drilled a hole at this location. The cord is tied and fed in through the top, wrapped all the way down and then cinched tight through the hole. Tension holds it in place- it isn't going to come loose.

I recently rewrapped the CQD in coyote brown cord. I wrapped it a bit thicker this time so you don't feel the metal at all.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top