Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/30/2006 10:52:04 AM EDT
I've been wanting a hardcase like a Pelican so I was checking this out... www.casesbypelican.com

I like the idea of the more rigid foam (closed cell Polyethylene?), but how hard is it to make the cutout in it?
What's the best tool to use to make the cutout and not have jaggy edges so it looks all ghetto?

So how about some pictures for cool ideas?

I like this one for the cutouts in the lid for mags.

But I like the shorter length of this one...

I'd like to pick something up that can hold my scope V-match 16" AND my Glock and/or Kimber as well as mags for both.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:23:00 AM EDT
[#1]
i have the 1700 w/closed foam but have not cut it yet.

i do not think cutting the lid foam for mags/whatever will work well as it may scrape the opposite side...

i'm thinking of just making 2 stacks of 2 mags in the middle layer. i'm also adding a glock 23 with 2 mags cutout..
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:20:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Here is my Pelican 1700.  I am about to get new foam and re-cut it because the FN five-seveN will be staying home and one of my 5" 1911's will be added.  I use the SBR for 3-gun matches and want to carry my 3-gun pistol in the same case.

MadDog
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:45:09 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I am about to get new foam and re-cut it because the FN five-seveN will be staying home and one of my 5" 1911's will be added.

Is that the rigid foam? I'm curious... when you get the new foam are you going to just cut out the block for the pistol so you can swap them in and out depending on which pistol you want in there or are you going to re-cut the entire thing?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:29:29 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't know if that is considered the "rigid" foam or not.  It's what came with the case and I am sure the replacment foam will be the same.  I have to recut the entire thing because the top piece of foam is glued to the bottom piece.  After you cut the foam, it moves around under the weight of the contents if you don't glue it to be bottom or base piece.

MadDog
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:02:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Looks good - What are you using to cust the foam?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:48:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Here's my Starlight double rifle case.  

Currently it's setup for one carbine but I'll be getting some new foam and get it setup for two carbines.  The mag cut outs on the lower level each hold two mags and when I get the new foam I will probably rearrange it so I can at least double the capacity.

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:25:53 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I don't know if that is considered the "rigid" foam or not.
MadDog

Is it the same "softness" as the egg-crate foam (kind of floppy and when you pick up the whole piece)?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:32:52 AM EDT
[#8]
My AR6721 in a Pelican 1700.

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:34:15 PM EDT
[#9]
tag
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:27:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Pretty lousy pic - Starlight case from Sam's a couple of years ago, SR15 Match, long since sold:

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:28:19 PM EDT
[#11]
tag for ref.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:31:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Here's mine.

Use an Electric Carving knife and go slow. Take the time to really think about your layout, and be precise in your outlining. I agree that putting Mags in the top would mar the surface of the lower level contents.

Some say that putting the foam in a deep freezer before cutting works well.

Go SLOW!!! This stuff isn't cheap to replace if you screw it up...about $40.000 for replacement foam inserts plus shipping.

Tack
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:04:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Anyone have any experience with the "pluck and pull" or whatever the prescored squares are called?

And what is another brand case. I saw one at a gunshow this weekend but I forget the name.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:31:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Pluck and pull is crap. Nothing will fit as well and it'll wear out if you actually use it. You probably saw a hardigg case.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 10:13:47 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
You probably saw a hardigg case.

Stormcase... yep that's it.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:49:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Here are a couple of pics of some of my accessories in Pelicans.

Pelican 1200 Series
ANVIS-9's and a couple of Clip on Power Supplies in the first case.
GrANVIS mount by Wilcox with Onboard Power Supply and a LensPen in second case.

Pelican 1150 Series
Insight Technology AN/PEQ-2A and Insight Technology Laser Boresite System.

Thanks,

Funtogun
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:25:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Does anybody know where to get foam like this?

Insight Technology PAQ-4C

It seems like this is a much more durable foam.

If anybody knows where to get this, please forward the contact info...

Thanks,

Funtogun
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:32:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Funtogun, looks like the cases you have pictured have either both the rigid foam and the soft foam. Which one do you like better?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:29:30 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Funtogun, looks like the cases you have pictured have either both the rigid foam and the soft foam. Which one do you like better?

The closed cell foam on the bottom pic is preferable because it will not hold moisture.  The regular foam will be okay as long as you remember to keep it closed and not put wet or moist guns in without drying them.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:31:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:05:58 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
The closed cell foam on the bottom pic is preferable because it will not hold moisture.  The regular foam will be okay as long as you remember to keep it closed and not put wet or moist guns in without drying them.

As long as you do that and have a dessicant packet of some sort in the "soft" foam it shouldn't make much difference in terms of moisture.

I'm wondering about if the rigid foam is just better for protection (shock absorbtion for scopes) as well as whether is last longer, is it easier to cut, and what not.

I assume it does last long since the regular foam eventually would start to exhibit some wear, but I'm not sure about the rigid foam, if it somehow breaks down over time or something.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:17:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Nice cases.  Keep 'em coming.  I don't have one.    

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:38:53 AM EDT
[#23]
AR10 (SEBR) in a Pelican 1750...

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:36:37 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I prefer the rigid foam.  The ANVIS and PEQ cases have the soft foam that is pre-cut.   They work OK but are starting to show some wear and are starting to tear loose.  The rigid foam in the PAQ case is holding up much better.  I would like to find a place that sells just the rigid foam to replace the foam in the Pelican cases.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 12:13:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Anyone know where to purchase replacment "closed cell" rigid foam?  I want to replace the foam in my Pelican 1700 and don't know where to get it.  The only foam Pelican sells is more of the original soft stuff.

MadDog
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:00:59 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Anyone know where to purchase replacment "closed cell" rigid foam?  I want to replace the foam in my Pelican 1700 and don't know where to get it.  The only foam Pelican sells is more of the original soft stuff.

MadDog

I bought my replacement foam from www.efoamstore.com and was very pleased.  I just measured the inside of my case and used their on-line order, and it was a perfect fit.  I think it was around $30.00 or a little more for two pieces for my Pelican 1700.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:02:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Just make sure that you use Efoam's "hard" foam, I wouldn't want to use the softer versions.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:35:43 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

MadDog

I bought my replacement foam from www.efoamstore.com and was very pleased.  I just measured the inside of my case and used their on-line order, and it was a perfect fit.  I think it was around $30.00 or a little more for two pieces for my Pelican 1700.

Good to know. I was thining about that today when I was imagining using the case for two different rifles depending on what I'm taking out that day. It would be cool to swap out cut-outs for a particular trip. Those cases aren't cheap enough to run around buying a new one for each gun I have... or at least I'm not rich enough to do it yet.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:01:57 PM EDT
[#29]
But what do you use to make the cutouts??hinking.gif
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:02:42 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
But what do you use to make the cutouts??

I use a razor blade or a serrated bread knife!
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:24:39 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
But what do you use to make the cutouts??

I use an electric carving knife.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:24:42 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Here are a couple of pics of some of my accessories in Pelicans.

members.cox.net/funtogun/DSCF5201.JPG
Pelican 1200 Series
ANVIS-9's and a couple of Clip on Power Supplies in the first case.
GrANVIS mount by Wilcox with Onboard Power Supply and a LensPen in second case.

members.cox.net/funtogun/DSCF5202.JPG
Pelican 1150 Series
Insight Technology AN/PEQ-2A and Insight Technology Laser Boresite System.

Thanks,

Funtogun

the two upper cases are regular foam while the lower case has closed cell foam.  it resists oils and such much better.  None of the cases picture further up in the thread are closed cell foam.

If you don't have a freezer, leave them outside to freeze.  Electric carving knives work well.  

Freezing is ideal because the back and forth sawing motion really mucks up the clean lines if it's not frozen.

I've got a starlight double rifle case that is not closed cell and no matter how hard I tried, it turned out kinda shitty because I couldn't freeze it.  I used a retractable razor knife with the break off sections.  Even at 6" long it wasn't long enough.  I had to saw up and down too much.  

A good cheap bread knife from the kitchen and bath store might be a good choice.

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:59:05 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm wondering what a 1650 would be like for use as a "battle chest"... for dragging a small arms room worth to the range. I don't think an M4 would fit lengthwise an would probably have to be broke down, but I'm sure a case like that would have room for all kinds of other goodies...

Or would the depth be too difficult to work with...
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:58:34 AM EDT
[#34]
6920 and G23 in a 1700

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 11:58:36 AM EDT
[#35]
These are pretty nice:

http://www.casesbypelican.com/pelican-m4-single.htm
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:24:48 PM EDT
[#36]
These are very nice.  Keep 'em coming.  

Starlight Cases will do custom foam
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:30:32 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
These are very nice.  Keep 'em coming.  

Starlight Cases will do custom foam

i dont own one, yet. but i would look into storm cases..
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:15:58 PM EDT
[#38]
I thought I'd be happy with a couple of soft cases for my carbines until I say this thread.  

Nice work guys.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:13:37 PM EDT
[#39]
I bought a Pelican 1750 but haven't cut the foam yet.  Can't you just compress the foam with a straight edge and cut with a straight razor.  I would have never guessed that freezing and electric knives were necessary.  Thanks for the tips though.  I think I'll give it a go tomorrow!

Well, its now tomorrow!

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:23:28 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
I bought a Pelican 1750 but haven't cut the foam yet.  Can't you just compress the foam with a straight edge and cut with a straight razor.  I would have never guessed that freezing and electric knives were necessary.  Thanks for the tips though.  I think I'll give it a go tomorrow!

Well, its now tomorrow!

i5.photobucket.com/albums/y154/9sigman45/Pelican.jpg

No. The end result will look awful. Use the methods given here.

Also, use white chalk to trace the outlines, then cut. Ink will bleed and frose you cut more than you want to.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:28:02 AM EDT
[#41]

Yeah,  I can't cut a straight line.  But I don't worry about it.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:20:17 PM EDT
[#42]
All closed cell foam cut by me.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:39:54 PM EDT
[#43]
I realy need to get myself one of these.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:44:06 AM EDT
[#44]
tag for reference.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 12:09:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Ar10 in the 1720 and my Bushmaster Ar15 in a 1700
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:59:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Hardigg IM3300

Still need to add and cutout for a few accessories to the setup.  I think the old chalk outline and electric carver did the trick quite well.  

A friend of mine has the 'custom' cutout from Storm Case for his M4gery and his 700P and I am not impressed at all.  Neither of them fit quite right even though they were each measured and custom cut.  They are very generic and the foam is very rigid.  IMO you can't beat the standard foam and cut it yourself.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:41:20 PM EDT
[#47]
I saw this violin case, for a Tommy Gun at a gun show last month (and again last week) and it got me thinking.

How hard would it be to make a AR-15 case out of an old guitar case?

Has anyone tried it?

I live in a condo, in an urban suburb (oxymoron) and I would rather avoid the looks I get with my soft rifle case, or anything that leaves no doubt as to what it contains. I have a half mind to try it, so if I do I will be posting a picture, but I would like to see if anyone has already done it.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:52:30 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
I saw this violin case, for a Tommy Gun at a gun show last month (and again last week) and it got me thinking.

How hard would it be to make a AR-15 case out of an old guitar case?

Has anyone tried it?

I live in a condo, in an urban suburb (oxymoron) and I would rather avoid the looks I get with my soft rifle case, or anything that leaves no doubt as to what it contains.

I have a half mind to try it, so if I do I will be posting a picture, but I would like to see if anyone has already done it.

I use a soft guitar 'gig bag' type case when I am just bringing the carbine out.  Works great.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 1:52:37 PM EDT
[#49]
Tomster, did your case come with the "closed cell foam" or did you replace the stock foam?  I need some new foam for my Pelican 1700 case and I would like to go with "closed cell" this time.

MadDog
Link Posted: 5/19/2006 9:21:15 PM EDT
[#50]
This thread inspired me to buy the Pelican 1700 in OD.

Here is what my cut-out/set-up looks like:

I'm not sure I'm happy with the quality of my cut outs or the configuration. So, I may end up ordering more foam and trying again. I will sit on it for a few days and debate it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top