Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/9/2006 3:15:44 PM EDT
I am sorta new to this...I have just got a VMatch upper with the free floating forearm and I am trying to figure out the best way to attach a bi-pod.  Do I need to attach a sling type stud? or a rail someway?  Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 3:17:58 PM EDT
[#1]
the key is attachment to the free floating handguard...pls post mfg/model of handguard with pic if you can
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 3:27:55 PM EDT
[#2]
drill a hole in the bottom of the handguard and attach a sling stud to it for a harris.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 3:38:08 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
drill a hole in the bottom of the handguard and attach a sling stud to it for a harris.

Yes you will need to tap that hole for stud threads, also.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 6:45:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Sorry I forgot to say it is a Bushmaster VMatch upper, with the bushmaster free floating forearm.
About drilling for threaded stud...is that as difficult as it sounds?

Thanks for all the input so far...now I have a direction to start looking in!  Thanks again guys!
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:40:18 PM EDT
[#5]
you don't have to tap the hole - you can use a machine screw stud through the hole like this:
unclemikes.com/adtemplate.asp?invky=9004746&catky=1279575&subcatky1=4548842&subcatky2=2000192

you just center punch the location of the hole, making sure it's centered on the handguard, drill a through hole, then install the stud.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 4:26:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Or you could swap your gas block out for a GB that has a rail on the top and the bottom.  Then just put you bipod mount on the bottom of the gas block.

http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/4050/dsc02675fixed28te.th.jpg
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 10:24:37 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Or you could swap your gas block out for a GB that has a rail on the top and the bottom.  Then just put you bipod mount on the bottom of the gas block.

img134.imageshack.us/img134/4050/dsc02675fixed28te.th.jpg

But then he loses the advantages of a "free float" barrel because he'll have that heavy bipod on the end.

Definitely go with the stud.  You can also use the "Harris #5" that adapts a harris bipod to AR15 handguards.  You drill one hole, and the #5 has the backing.

A buddy of mine with the bushmaster "varminter" float tube had the stud pull out and strip the threads, so he drilled the hole bigger and used the Harris #5.  Needless to say, he won't be pulling this one out!
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:56:08 PM EDT
[#8]
I drilled and taped my V-match and bought the threaded sling attch/bipod stud from Bushmaster.
I drilled very easy with a cordless drill. Once I marked where the hole was to go I had a buddy stand back to assure the drill was sort of vertical. Taping was even easer due to alum. handguard.
I lock tighted the threads on the stud to aid in alignment.
Be sure to use the correct size drill for the tap.
Good luck -Steve
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 8:51:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Drill & Tap

Then sell it and get something lighter weight and less "Old school".  
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top