User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 5/4/2005 10:47:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: wes1]
Can we start a thread discussing features and benefits of different IR set ups?(With Pics)
PEQ2A
VITAL
PAQ4
ETC...

I have aPEQ2Abut I know nothing of the other systems, and their advantages.

Link Posted: 5/4/2005 12:31:32 PM EDT
[#1]

Originally Posted By wes1:
Can we start a thread discussing features and benefits of different IR set ups?(With Pics)
PEQ2A
VITAL
PAQ4
ETC...

I have a PEQ2A, but I know nothing of the other systems, and their advantages.

+1
Link Posted: 5/4/2005 1:04:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Victor] [#2]

PEQ2A
VITAL
PAQ4
ETC...

Hi ya Wes....Good thread, I will have more to follow.  I am sure guys like Duffy and a few others will show off their IR configurations as well!

Vic
Link Posted: 5/4/2005 1:07:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Hey Vic,
Are you still coming out to the Ranch?
Link Posted: 5/4/2005 1:17:14 PM EDT
[#4]

Hey Vic,
Are you still coming out to the Ranch?

Email coming out your way!
Link Posted: 5/4/2005 6:43:32 PM EDT
[#5]

Originally Posted By Buck_Naked:

PEQ2A
VITAL
PAQ4
ETC...

+1

+1
Link Posted: 5/4/2005 7:06:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TNVC] [#6]
Nice thread which will bring LOTS of discussions and questions.   First let me start off to clear some initial IR laser questions.  ALL Class 3 lasers are restricted for new sale for public consumption via the FDA. The units discussed here are indeed Class 3 lasers and are restricted new sale items and are only sold to government agencies.  In fact, the latest news I am hearing is no more new sales even to the LE circles!  Insight will not even drop ship any longer to LE Dept’s and NVEC's policy is ONLY to .gov as well! There is no current law that I know of that states they are illegal to own, only new sale restrictions from the manufactures.  As always, please check with your local laws before purchasing any IR laser equipment.

I have worked personally over the years with the following,

PEQ-2A (Insight Technologies) www.insightlights.com/federal/default.asp Not much info given at all on their units due to the restrictions. PAQ-4, and the Laser Aiming Module LAM (Insight Technologies)

Vital-2, (Night Vision Equipment Company) www.nvec-night-vision.com/products/details_R.asp?Msg=20&System=VITAL&Category=5

Ground Commanders Pointer GCP-2 (Night Vision Equipment Company) www.nvec-night-vision.com/products/details_R.asp?Msg=20&System=GCP-2&Category=5

MOLAD, OTALS, DBALS. and ITALS.  www.laserdevices.com/infopage.asp?a=laser_rifle&id=19101&action=deviceresults.asp
Some units I have NOT worked with BUT would love to!!!

Atilla, (Night Vision Equipment Company) www.nvec-night-vision.com/products/details_R.asp?Msg=20&System=ATILLA&Category=5

Without going into exact details on each of the units performance data, here are a few links that talk all about the PEQ-2A’s and a host of other laser and NVD’s, as well as SAFETY ISSUES ALL SHOULD BE VERY AWARE OF BEFORE THEY USE ANY IR LASER!
www.nightline-inc.com/nightline/specialtech.htm
www.2ndbn5thmar.com/BookOne/zero-toc.html

This link is a VERY good perspective on a Warrant Officers view of several IR laser systems.
www.nightoperations.com/coyotelaser.htm

Based on what your mission dictates, everyone’s needs will be different and each of the units talked about above vary in range and power.  After reading the above links that talk about each unit’s power and ranges, I will give you my likes and dislikes I have found over the years. This will be based on surveillance activities and a few “yote” killings! I’m sure Kevin and a few others can probably chime in here on the direct military apps. Wes1 has also killed some yotes, so I hope he can speak what he likes about his PEQ.

PEQ-2A is a dual laser/illuminator that is way too powerful for my range needs.  I’ve used this unit in conjunction with 6X raptors and have lased large targets at 3000m!  I have found working with this unit under 100m or less to be overpowering with my PVS-14’s on bright targets, such as large structures, windows, etc. The laser scatters quite a bit and blooms my Gen III NVD’s.  Now with Gen II units or less, maybe this high power would be beneficial?  Maybe some folk here with these Gen II or less units can comment. Also, I've never lit up a yote as yet with a PEQ, so I look forward to Wes's comments on lighting up these scrawny no good...

In regards to the subject of durability, I find the PEQ line to be the worst for durability.  A funny story was several years ago when I first was inquiring about PEQ’s…I saw several pics of our troops employing PEQ’s with duct tape holding the units on.  I kept thinking to myself, “why aren’t these guys talking with Dick (ARMS,) for some rails?" I remember at that time Wes from MSTN corrected me and told me, “Vic, the duct tape you are seeing is there to hold the actual unit together!” <Gulp> In LE use, the constant banging into structures, bad guys heads, etc. could deem uneventful for the durability concerns. I personally have not broke one, but others have.

In regards of actual operation of the individual illuminator and laser, I find the unit very easy to work with and for long range targets its hard to beat, well not vs. the Atilla I’m told.  I have never worked with NVEC’s Atilla, but I’m told from MANY end-users that the Atilla is MUCH more durable and capable.  Also it’s virtually impossible to obtain. I like the PEQ’s versatility to be used weapon mountable, as well as a hand-held pointer/illuminator as well due to a supplied tape switch and push button constant on feature. It also has an adjustable illuminator for a pin point beam or flood.

Vital-2 is a  single beam IR laser with a built in CQB illuminator that round out this unit.  I have worked with this unit for a bit of time now and for my use, I find it’s the best unit I’ve used.  Its VERY durable, light-weight, throw-lever weapon mountable, has off axis light security, pulse modes and a VERY good CQB illuminator for 50 meter in work.  **Changed to effective range of 20 meters, not seen range***I’ve engaged man-size targets at 500M+ while using this unit with a Raptor 6X on a 6.8SPC as well as 100m and in work with NO blooming effects at all. The unit has a nifty variable intensity dial that works very well for varying output power. The Vital also comes standard with a paddle activation switch, as well as a tape switch which brings me to the feature I do not like that is typical with all NVEC’s IR products.  The IR units do NOT incorporate a constant on feature. ALL units I’ve worked with either need the paddle or tape switch to operate for momentary on work.  Maybe safety issues and tactical reasons come into play here.  It’s difficult to use the Vital as a hand held unit due to this feature, especially if you are holding an NVD monoculure without a helmet mount.  I’ve used the tape switch while actually holding the unit, in one hand, while holding my PVS-14 in another, but it’s cumbersome to say the least.  

Ground Commanders Pointer GCP-2 is just what it says, an IR pointer that works EXTREMELY well!  It’s an incredible IR light saber in the air  
At 100mW the beam keeps going and going and going….out to 10km! I’ve used the GCP-1B on numerous occasions to point out objects, targets, etc.  The model I’ve worked with was not weapon mountable and like the other NVEC products does not have a constant on, it has a small red push button to engage the laser.  It also has an adjustable beam as well for pin point focus or a 6 deg wide beam.

Well, I hope this helps with what I have used thus far.  Some pics are associated with the links and I have included a few with a vital-2, PVS-14 Delta, EO Tech, LR IR Illuminator and a SF 900 round out the platform.

Due to Wes1 and the gangs call out, we learned from years ago the effect useful range of the Vital-2 illuminator is 20m, seen range up to 50m max.  Learning has occurred with this IR laser and from a few other folks over the years.
Link Posted: 5/4/2005 8:02:59 PM EDT
[#7]
I think this could be a great thread.  I'm in the process of shopping for a decent IR laser.

I've found several places on-line, but am curious, do any of the dealers here sell (or point me to the right place) that would sell, a Vital 2 to a LEO?

Victor, Buck, or Wes, if you have any ideas, please feel free to email me directly.

I'll keep watching for the knowledge hopefully to be gained in this rhread.
Link Posted: 5/4/2005 9:04:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/5/2005 4:24:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Mods,
Can we get a sticky for this thread?
Thanks
Link Posted: 5/5/2005 9:33:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: wes1] [#10]
Well it's my turn, let me first say I am new to night vision and the world of IR Illuminators and lasers.So please forgive me , but please correct me if I am wrong.My experience(limited) is with the PEQ2A, Surefire M1,Surefire IR filters, Vic's own illuminator and the knock off DBAL(friends)

PEQ2A
 I can attest to Vic's comments about the PEQ2A being delicate.My own unit (recieved on trade)had damage to the elevation adjuster on the aimer.Thru contact's on AR15.com(Mr.h)I found a gentlemen to fix it.Lanny Leonard replaced the adjuster and now I can zero my laser.
The PEQ2A is very powerful, even on it's lowest settings, it still blooms out.As for the Illuminator, I find it too powerful to be useful for non magnified  NV.The illuminator works great without the filter, when using the PVS 14 in tandem with a maginifer optic/scope.As for using a the IR laser to hit coyotes, it's damn tuff!Coyotes generally don't stop and sit around when called.It's very HARD and FRUSTRATING to have a coyote come in( a feet it's self) then  trying to paint it's little ass to shoot.I have missed many, and hit a few.I have started using a Illuminator while lasing to cut down on the blooming effect.( the bloom cover's most of a coyote's body)

Hong Kong DBAL
My buddy bought a knockoff DBAL laser.It's a dual band laser, one is a red visable, the other is IR.It's neat little unit with it's fake ARMS mount.The IR laser works well, no blooming. The biggest draw back is the adjusters are friction type, they will move on their own.(we used electrical tape to keep them in place)

Surefire M1 Illuminator
It's half the size of the 6P/G2, and runs on CR134 battery.
This is a must have for the NV user.I keep my around my neck and use it for navigation.It puts out
a pefect circle about 8yards in diameter.It's good for 100 yards and under.

Surefire IR filters
I have come to believe these are hit or miss.I have had good luck using a IR filter on my M951 with the 120 lumen bulb.It's great for a wide field of illumination under 100 yards.My buddy has gone thru 2 different filters on the same set up as mine with no luck.Less than 25 yards of illumination.He has since gone to Vic's illuminator.

Vic's Illumintor
It's slightly larger than the size of a 6P.It's uses a single CR134 battery, and has a weapon mount.It works well out to 300 yards.We use it for illumination of targets while using scopes in tandem with monoculars.It also works great for sweeping wheat fields looking for eyes.This is another must have for a NV user.
Link Posted: 5/5/2005 9:40:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: spectr] [#11]
vic- i bet that rifle is heavy , i say that as i had almost the exact same setup, minus i chose the ir otal or the vital 2, the vital 2 has more usable features, however i like the fact that i can just switch the otal on.

anyhow just a heads up , im in the process of making civilian legal ir lasers that will meet fda regs.
already have prototypes hitting 1/2 mi out, production models possibly by end of year
Link Posted: 5/5/2005 10:10:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Duffy] [#12]
Very informative, thank you gents!  Unhappily, other than pics I have little to contritube, because I can't hunt coyotes around here (neighbors would yell bloody murder), I'm not in the armed forces or an LEO, my actual experience is limited to me messing around with mine, lasing either the houses 200yds in front of mine or the ocean 500yds out, and even then I have to be careful not to be seen holding a weapon standing in the patio lol.

I agree with Vic's assessment of the VITAL2.  The lack of a constant on switch can be a pain.  Additionally, I have another observation but I'm not sure if it's valid.  I mount my VITAL2 on the top rail of an MRP upper where there's plenty of rails, and use the paddle for activation.  The PAQ4C is on the right side of a KAC FF RAS MRE equipped rifle because there's not enough upper rail estate for it, and there I have to use the much too long remote switch (I won't call it tape, because it's sqaure with a little round button in the middle).  The position of the paddle release on both the PAQ4C and VITAL2  is on the rear left side, where unless they're mounted on top, you're forced to use the remote switch, as it's quite impossible to use the paddle switch with either IR laser mounted on the left or right.  In the case with the PAQ4C, as the rail cover will get in the way of the paddle switch, so you have to make sure there's no rail cover where the paddle will go.  That's so with a KAC RAS anyway, with a DD handguard that's thinner that may not be a problem.

The VITAL2 comes standard with an excellent ARMS throw lever mount, and as stated elsewhere in another thread, the PAQ4C's issued Rail Grabber kind of sucks.  The threads for the mounting screw are on the mount itself, it has a little capped nut that's all but impossible to tighten on the mounting screw because the opening is too small for a socket to go in and secure in place while turning the screw.

Minor rants, I'll do some visual and not very scientific comparison of the respective laser strength later tonight

Link Posted: 5/5/2005 10:22:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Hey Duffy,
This is what I did for my Remote button for my PEQ2

Link Posted: 5/5/2005 10:27:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks Wes1, looks like your remote switch is also too long
Let's hope the wire doesn't melt when the barrel is red hot, because that's where the tied up strand of wire of mine is too, tucked away between the rail cover and the top rails  
Link Posted: 5/5/2005 11:14:01 AM EDT
[#15]

Originally Posted By spectr:
vic- i bet that rifle is heavy , i say that as i had almost the exact same setup, minus i chose the ir otal or the vital 2, the vital 2 has more usable features, however i like the fact that i can just switch the otal on.

anyhow just a heads up , im in the process of making civilian legal ir lasers that will meet fda regs.
already have prototypes hitting 1/2 mi out, production models possibly by end of year

Yea, a few folk around who shoulder my carbine kinda state, "why not just use an M1A!"  My reply is, "c-mon, its not that heavy!" I think it tips the scales around 12.0 lbs or so.  Either way, I find this set up the BEST I've used thus far in regards to a night platrform for 200m and in work.  A bit later, I will post my long range night platform.
Link Posted: 5/5/2005 7:28:41 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm used to firing my HK21 from the shoulder, compared to 18lbs (empty, no belts), my AR15 with all the attachments feel like a light weight carbine
Link Posted: 5/5/2005 9:18:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: inkaybee] [#17]
Link Posted: 5/5/2005 10:00:46 PM EDT
[#18]

Originally Posted By inkaybee:
I am not a "do it on the cheap" kinda guy.  I have 3K plus rolled up in one AR and I have 3k plus in my night vision --- BUT my IR lsaer cost about $200.  I have a corsak.  It is lite, small, and rugged.  It also has adjustable intensity and a constant on button that can be pushed part way for momentary use.

It is kinda crude and a pain in the ass to zero.  But it works and works and works.  

It's not the cat's ass but it is a work horse.

You know what Ink? IT WORKS, pricing is secondary..And it works!
Link Posted: 5/5/2005 10:50:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: inkaybee] [#19]
Link Posted: 5/6/2005 8:16:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Inkaybee,
Can you post pics of your Corsak set up?
Link Posted: 5/6/2005 4:06:43 PM EDT
[#21]
I'll second the Corsak being a pain in the a$$ to zero ... I cannot seem to get it closer than 6 inches at 50 yards.  What is realistic with a Corsak or other IR laser?  It seems to have plenty of brightness for my gen 3 monocular (civilian setup).  My bargain basement setup has it on a Bushmaster 3 rail doohickie that bolts around the front sight assembly and I have a Streamlight M3 mounted on a little plastic rail on the handguards.  Someone read one of my posts and was kind enough to sell me the two piece mount for the Corsak, which is rock solid.  The one piece rail mount it came with was awful.
Link Posted: 5/6/2005 8:23:37 PM EDT
[#22]

Inkaybee,

I'll try.  I suck at computer stuff.
I have a digital camera but I don't know if I still have the software and driver.  It'll take me the weekend to figure it out if I even can.

Elmer fud.  If you have a NV compatable Aimpoint or Eothech you can zero your red dot in the day light  then try to get the corsak to line up with the dot at night.
Link Posted: 5/6/2005 10:55:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Does somebody want to post them for me if I email them?
Link Posted: 5/6/2005 11:45:25 PM EDT
[#24]

Check your IM
Link Posted: 5/7/2005 11:47:40 AM EDT
[#25]

This from Inkabee showing his Corsak.

Link Posted: 5/7/2005 3:16:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Thanks
Link Posted: 5/7/2005 11:36:23 PM EDT
[#27]

Inkaybee,

I'll try.  I suck at computer stuff.
I have a digital camera but I don't know if I still have the software and driver.  It'll take me the weekend to figure it out if I even can.

Elmer fud.  If you have a NV compatable Aimpoint or Eothech you can zero your red dot in the day light  then try to get the corsak to line up with the dot at night.

I used my Eotech 552 as you said, lining up on a pinhole light at 50 yards, then adjusting the Corsak IR laser onto the light/Eotech reticle aimpoint.  My 2 Corsaks have a real problem when you tighten the lock ring.  The laser drifts during that process, usually like there is a worn path on the machined surface the lock ring bears on.  This means it almost always locks down off target in the same way.  It is also darn hard to see judge the position of the dot over the pinhole light within more than a few inches.

What is reasonable accuracy with an IR laser?
Link Posted: 5/8/2005 12:25:37 AM EDT
[#28]
Can you ruin a night vision tube with an IR laser?  Obviously one should not be stupid enough to aim the laser directly at the NV, but what if you aim it at a target which is very reflective?  Can the laser be reflected back and damage the tube?
Link Posted: 5/8/2005 12:43:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: inkaybee] [#29]
Funny you ask  When I first got my NV I ran down to the basment bath (no windows) and turned on my nv then turned on my laser and shined it right at the fiberglass shower surround.  The reflection burned  a little worm shaped spot on my tube.  Oh well live and learn.
Link Posted: 5/8/2005 9:43:53 AM EDT
[#30]

Awesome! Keep us posted spectr.
Link Posted: 5/8/2005 1:08:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Paje] [#31]

There is no current law that I know of that states they are illegal to own, only new sale restrictions from the manufactures.

Seems as though I am yet again considered a '2nd-class citizen' by the public policy makers.  That being said, and assuming anyone cares to address this (& doesn't go against arfcom policy) ~> what IR purchasing options are there for the non-governmental agency affiliated, sovereign domiciled within the USA?  (i.e. after market/used domestic outlets, international sources, etc.,)

Anyone have experience with Newcon Optik's LAM?

or this 'Strike Laser Products' LDI DBAL clone?

TIA
Link Posted: 5/8/2005 9:48:23 PM EDT
[#32]
I have a couple of the previous model Lam 10s, they have a very nice round projection.  laser are very well made and are waterproof.  The only difference I can see  between my lasers and the new model is the windage and elevation adjustment.  The older models I have which are less than a year old are a two piece unit that has a dove tail mount for quick release, sighting adjustment are made on the mount that is attached to your weaver rail.   I also have a TSL-10 which is what ATN Corp. sells as their IRLTP-450($795)  All of my lasers are the same except for the mounts,  TSL-10(IRLTP-450) is a barrel mount as shown on ATN website and the LAM-10s are weaver mounts as shown on Newcon website.  
Link Posted: 5/8/2005 10:07:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Do they make a laser filter that will prevent this?

FREE

Funny you ask  When I first got my NV I ran down to the basment bath (no windows) and turned on my nv then turned on my laser and shined it right at the fiberglass shower surround.  The reflection burned  a little worm shaped spot on my tube.  Oh well live and learn.

Link Posted: 5/8/2005 10:39:38 PM EDT
[#34]
tag
Link Posted: 5/8/2005 10:45:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Victor] [#35]

Originally Posted By juslearnin:
Can you ruin a night vision tube with an IR laser?  Obviously one should not be stupid enough to aim the laser directly at the NV, but what if you aim it at a target which is very reflective?  Can the laser be reflected back and damage the tube?

Be VERY careful as Ink stated...These are CLASS 3 lasers they WILL cause severe AND permanent eye damage. I cannot stress this enough! Treat an IR laser as you would the 5 golden rules of firearm safety!  There was a post here awhile back describing what happen to a person who recevied eye damage from a laser. It was quite descriptive and frightening about a popping sound he heard as the laser hit his eye!  If you buy a PVS-14 type kit, insure you use the scrificial lens in, they can re-direct SOME amount of any laser type light that might enter the objective if the targets are very reflective. I have NOT tested this feature of course, I've been told this from may users oversea's while they are using lasers along with many others in close quaters. Also the BEST are the  Light Interfrence Filters that are on the market as well strictly for this purpose.  The Delta Mil-Spec units come standard with this filter.  My PVS-14D did. This link shows the filter, halfway down...
www.savvysurvivor.com/itt_6015.htm
Link Posted: 5/8/2005 11:04:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Hm, can you get it Vic?
Link Posted: 5/8/2005 11:13:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Victor] [#37]

Originally Posted By Duffy:
Hm, can you get it Vic?

Never treid to order a stand-alone Interference Filter, I can check into it!

I think this is MUST have safety item!!

Edited...Ink, will check into the mini-14 filter as well.  
Link Posted: 5/8/2005 11:15:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Vic, do you know if there is any such animal for the MUM?
Link Posted: 5/8/2005 11:21:10 PM EDT
[#39]
If Vic says it's a must have, then I must have it!  Thanks for looking into it for us
Link Posted: 5/8/2005 11:27:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Victor] [#40]

If Vic says it's a must have, then I must have it!  Thanks for looking into it for us

I'm just VERY afraid of high power lasers after reading that thread here and that POPPING sound, no pain was felt I also remember reading just a popping sound....Maybe the original poster will see this...I think the subject was laser safety...Probably can do an archive search.  I think it was about a year ago though or more.

Didn't mean to get off topic on IR set ups, but THIS IR laser safety issue should be as rudimentary as firearm saftey is and can NEVER be taken for granted!
Link Posted: 5/9/2005 1:49:33 AM EDT
[#41]
bbvette427 ~ thanks for your reply. (interesting on the ATN Corp OEM)  It seems as though your fairly happy with the Newcon-Optik IR LAMs.  My interest in Newcon-Optik for IR is two-fold; Canadian Co., (FDA not in play) & can aquire @ 6% over dealer cost.  Please IM/e-me if you've any experience with their NV gear.

Some great info thus far this thread (kudos Victor, et. al.).  It would be excellent to also have some price points to compare, if possible.  My quick first glance has some of the gear detailed so far with unlisted pricing (info restricted).

Newcon-Optik LAM 10M available here retailing @ $758 (btw ~ not seeing any "LEO/Military only" restrictions on that website, but unsure of their policy)

Hong Kong DBAL
My buddy bought a knockoff DBAL laser.It's a dual band laser, one is a red visable, the other is IR.It's neat little unit with it's fake ARMS mount.The IR laser works well, no blooming. The biggest draw back is the adjusters are friction type, they will move on their own.(we used electrical tape to keep them in place)

Wes ~> I am guessing your "Hong Kong DBAL" is the same one I found on-line (linked above post).  I see these on E-Bay & they are going for ~ $275 (+$35 shipping to uSA).  Are the friction adjusters the only con? (holding zero?)  I noticed that their IR frequency is @ 805nm (as opposed to LDI's DBAL IR of 835nm).  Waterproof?
Link Posted: 5/9/2005 2:10:30 AM EDT
[#42]
Tag
Link Posted: 5/9/2005 7:33:40 AM EDT
[#43]
I could be down with a LAM 10M if there's no problems purchasing from Canada and importing it...
Link Posted: 5/9/2005 7:52:40 AM EDT
[#44]
None of the Peq-2's I've seen here or at gun shows have the safety block on them.  Those might be something to look into to keep injuries down.  It screws onto the switch and prevents the switch from rotating into the "combat" settings.  It's where the military leaves them for training, and where most leave it for combat, since the prospect of blinding yourself or your buddies by accidentally hitting the pressure pad isn't cool.  It's also been my experience that the lower setting is more useful as it won't white out the nvg's after you've fired 10 rounds and there's smoke in front of you.  Lower settings indoors as well.

I didn't think the Peq-2 was all that fragile.  It was made out of plastic, but the only unservicable unit I saw had been shot off the rifle.  The most common problem was the battery compartment cover keeper was week and poorly attached, since they get used primarily at night, it's discovered the batteries are dead at night.  While changing out batteries several compartment covers were lost in the dark.

Other than that I like them, it's pretty demoralizing to realize that your opponents can hit you in the head from a hundred meters in the dark if you give them a chance.

Alan
Link Posted: 5/9/2005 12:16:29 PM EDT
[#45]
Leaving the PEQ-2A on low power in COMBAT IS RETARDED.

The LASER is on the gun - I dont want to be around people who are going to be muzzling you.
The high power option allows you to burn thru the cluter of the other clowns with lasers - plus in dawn/dust the High option will be visible in the intrim period where its not dark or light - where your day sight can't quite pick up tgt's and the PAQ's are crash and burning from their low power.  Really if you worried about a PEQ-2 you would cringe when you see the PEQ-4 in action.
Me, Im more worried about point my rifle at bad guys and pulling the tigger

Insight 7500 (PEQ-2A with vis laser as well) - cuz I'm a cool guy
and one over our guys C8A1's with PAC-4C.
  You could not pay me to use a PAC

Battery Tailcaps on PEQ-2's are wire attached - and anyone who does not check their kit prior is a shitheel that you dont need.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay now orignal reason I came over.

Attila - smaller and meaner than the PEQ-2A - and a nice thumb paddle (I hate pressure pads - hence why I put my 7500 on the side of my RAS) to use - plus alterable strobe settig on the laser so you can see who's who in the zoo -- ever try to do that with a bunch of lasers fired up?
Longer reach than the PEQ as well - not a big deal really, since you can arleady designate 3k+ with the PEQ2 - BUT I like LOTS of power.
It also has a low battery warning when you start it up.

also a webpage by a knowledgeable sort

www.nightoperations.com/lasers.htm

Link Posted: 5/9/2005 3:19:11 PM EDT
[#46]

Originally Posted By KevinB:
Leaving the PEQ-2A on low power in COMBAT IS RETARDED.

The LASER is on the gun - I dont want to be around people who are going to be muzzling you.
The high power option allows you to burn thru the cluter of the other clowns with lasers - plus in dawn/dust the High option will be visible in the intrim period where its not dark or light - where your day sight can't quite pick up tgt's and the PAQ's are crash and burning from their low power.  Really if you worried about a PEQ-2 you would cringe when you see the PEQ-4 in action.
Me, Im more worried about point my rifle at bad guys and pulling the tigger

Insight 7500 (PEQ-2A with vis laser as well) - cuz I'm a cool guy
and one over our guys C8A1's with PAC-4C.
  You could not pay me to use a PAC

img.photobucket.com/albums/v193/EvilKev/Weapons/C8toSFW.jpg

Battery Tailcaps on PEQ-2's are wire attached - and anyone who does not check their kit prior is a shitheel that you dont need.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay now orignal reason I came over.

Attila - smaller and meaner than the PEQ-2A - and a nice thumb paddle (I hate pressure pads - hence why I put my 7500 on the side of my RAS) to use - plus alterable strobe settig on the laser so you can see who's who in the zoo -- ever try to do that with a bunch of lasers fired up?
Longer reach than the PEQ as well - not a big deal really, since you can arleady designate 3k+ with the PEQ2 - BUT I like LOTS of power.
It also has a low battery warning when you start it up.

also a webpage by a knowledgeable sort

www.nightoperations.com/lasers.htm

..."plus alterable strobe settig on the laser so you can see who's who in the zoo..."  LoL

Thanks for the info on the Atilla Kev, info on this unit has been VERY limited at best.

***Special- Note***  Also, thanks to new-arguy for the "tack".  This is a very good and helpful thread!
Link Posted: 5/9/2005 3:21:57 PM EDT
[#47]

I checked with two of my sources and I am told the light interference units are a restricted DOD item! Hmmm, I did not know this up until now.  Still checking around though.
Link Posted: 5/9/2005 3:29:38 PM EDT
[#48]
Thanks for checking Victor, I guess civilian's gear and eyes are not as important
Link Posted: 5/9/2005 3:56:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Victor] [#49]
Also, the web site Kev posted www.nightoperations.com/lasers.htm is a very benifial source for info. I forgot to link very early on in the thread! I've followed this site for about a year now. Also on this site is an EXTREMELY valuable section on battery life associated with several laser platforms.
www.nightoperations.com/Doc/batt_require.xls I found this VERY helpful.
Link Posted: 5/9/2005 4:43:10 PM EDT
[#50]
John is a true Subject Matter Expert (SME) on the Night Operations - it consumes him.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top