Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/16/2004 2:07:29 PM EDT
Heyas,

I just got my FFL to file with the Stag arms lower folks and the first step to my AR is taken.  

BUT!

I am still shopping for the uppers I would like to go with.  So here is my question:  Model 1 Sales?  Good stuff or fluff?  Their prices can't be beat.  J&T seems to have a good rep, their stuff ranges to about 50-75 dollars more.  So opinions from the experts and personal experience is appreciated.  

Thanks!

- Gazzy!
Link Posted: 7/16/2004 2:16:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Model 1 is good, and they offer chrome lining on almost all of their kits. It all depends on how picky you are; all the Model 1 barrels are HBARs, if this should bother you RRA would probably be a better source of uppers.

I did some math and I find it is practically just as cheap to buy an entire kit rather than just a Model 1 upper...for a CAR upper with charging handle and B/BC assembly it is $410, and for the entire kit it is $450, which basically means that you get both a buttstock with all the buttstock-related parts and a lower parts kit for $40!! Even if you only use the upper you could probably sell the parts kit and buttstock for more than $40, which means you make a profit.

if you are not an HBAR person (don't sweat it, neither am I, that's why I'm building my own upper) then I would suggest going with RRA, as they offer chrome lining on some models and also have some lightweight options. You could also step up on the price a bit and go for a Bushmaster upper, they offer a whole lot of barrel profile and length options, and their barrels are really good as far as quality goes (4150 steel, ALL chrome lined). Also Bushmaster service is on top. It really comes down to what you need, what you want, and how much you are willing to spend to get the most of both.

I do a lot of posts like this...

HTH
-N3rday
Link Posted: 7/16/2004 2:27:30 PM EDT
[#2]
First, thanks for the info.

Second, Hrmm... I have never had experience with an HBAR.  Only your standard A2 in the Army and that was a while ago at that.  I am not sure if I am opposed to it or not hould
I think I am going to order it up this way ;)  

Thanks!

- Gazzy!
Link Posted: 7/16/2004 3:12:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Not the best, but good for the money.
Link Posted: 7/16/2004 6:02:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/16/2004 8:24:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I have two ,a 20" that I have had about 2 1/2 years and a 16" I've had for a year . Never had a problem from either one . I also did some shopping around on the internet and Shotgun News before I bought them and Model 1 had the best price I could find .
Link Posted: 7/16/2004 8:56:06 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I have two and they run great!

Same here and happy with it.

556man
Link Posted: 7/16/2004 10:16:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Yep, based on the experiences of the folks here, I am going to go the model 1 sales way.  Thanks again all!

- Gazzy!
Link Posted: 7/17/2004 11:28:39 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a J&T lightweight upper with a stinger arms lower that shoots to point of aim.  I've only used it to kill some cans, but once I got over "shooting out the bur" I was very pleased.  I also have a model 1 sales 24" varmint stainless kit in a mega machines lower that shot sub moa during the barrel break in period.  That was with black hills ammo loaded with the hornady 50 gr v-max.  I may be wrong, but I think both use Shaw barrels.
Link Posted: 7/17/2004 1:42:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Model 1 also has light weight barrels now also.  I just put a light weight one together  shoots like a dream, I'm very happy with them.
Link Posted: 7/17/2004 3:48:15 PM EDT
[#10]
This is a Model 1 fluted 1/8 twist stainless HBAR upper with a RRA bolt carrier group and GG&G freefloat handguard.  

I intentionally used a RRA BCG, due to reports of problems with the Model 1 BCG.  The only non-milspec item I've noted is the front sight pins: they are not tapered.  

It runs flawlessly, but launches heavier bullets with better accuracy.  I'm going to try some 62gr Izzy ammo tomorrow.

Link Posted: 7/18/2004 11:49:19 AM EDT
[#11]
I've had three Mod 1 kits over the years. Not a single problem. Infact I have the 16" carbine version now, chrome this and that, its a peach.
Good luck
Link Posted: 7/18/2004 2:11:05 PM EDT
[#12]
My Stag lower/Model1 upper project turned out fantastic (IMHO).  Buy with confidence, their stuff is great quality at a fair price.

Model1/Stag on the right.  

http://home.earthlink.net/~jbarclark/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/bothars.jpg
Link Posted: 7/18/2004 5:08:04 PM EDT
[#13]
jbarclark, you may wana re-word your writeing or remove your pick unless your LEO since your stag lower built rifle clearly shows a bayo-lug ... Just mentioning this for your own good.....
Link Posted: 7/20/2004 3:31:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Look at the lug...looks like the ears are ground down to me.

KA
Link Posted: 7/25/2004 4:53:16 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

KA

Yes, the "ears" have been removed.  I play by the rules until the rules go away.  I appreciate the concern and all the IM's I got over this.  Thanks everyone.

J
Link Posted: 7/26/2004 10:54:13 AM EDT
[#16]
I built a CAR (5.56 A2 16" Chrome lined HBar crown barrel, Chrome bolt and carrier) from a DPMS lower and Model 1 Kit about 3 months ago.  

My build experience:
During the built I had to snip 2 rings off of the detent spring for the take down pin.  Same for the dent spring for the safety.  I don't know if it was the lower or the parts kit but there was no way the detents could retract enough to operate period.  Once assembled and after 500 rounds the trigger pull measured between 10.2 and 11.6 pounds.  I replaced the trigger and hammer springs ($4) and got the pull down to 6.2 pounds, which is in my comfort level for a home protection AR15.

At the range I haven't seen an AR (with in reason) that out shoots it.  I'm beyond surprise at its accuracy.  I used the modified battle zero technique to adjust the rear sights to -2 clicks.  No other changes were required for zeroing in the rifle.  

I've had one part go bad.  When cleaning it after a total of 1500 rounds I found one of the gas key screws had snapped in two.  It took about a week and a half to receive the replacement screws.

If I was to rebuild the AR again the only thing I change would be to get a RRA or Bushy parts kit and keep the Model 1 kit parts as spares.
Link Posted: 7/26/2004 12:58:09 PM EDT
[#17]
About the Model 1 front sight pins...they are not milspec (they aren't 'tapered') and are MUCH easier to knock out than other pins, I have heard.  This is especially good if you plan on putting on a free float or doing something that requires FSB removal.
Link Posted: 7/29/2004 5:43:13 PM EDT
[#18]
I am building a lightweight carbine - purchased a light 16" Model 1 A3 upper (9/16" diameter with a 5/8" diameter X 3/4" boss on the muzzle).  Tried it on another lower - seems to shoot well with my home brewed 62 Gr. loads.  They do not offer chrome lining in this bbl.  

Waiting for my Stag assembled lower (less buttstock) from Eagle Arms to arrive - price is about the same as or less than any other combination of parts.

I haven't decided to go with the ACE stock or wait for the AWB to expire and go with an adjustable of some type.  Inclined to go with the Ace for best combination of weight and durability.  

I have found that 1.5-4.5X shotgun scopes work well for tactical shooting.  Have a Bushnell Banner on this one and a Simmons 1.5-5X on another.  (At my age I need all the help I can get).

Link Posted: 7/29/2004 6:24:15 PM EDT
[#19]
I just received an M4 kit from them... very well made. Better finish than a Bushmaster IMHO (is that heresy ?). Won't get to shoot it for a while though. Maybe I'll post a range report sometime.
Link Posted: 7/30/2004 9:12:28 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
About the Model 1 front sight pins...they are not milspec (they aren't 'tapered') and are MUCH easier to knock out than other pins, I have heard.  This is especially good if you plan on putting on a free float or doing something that requires FSB removal.

That's true...the model 1 barrel spoiled me...when I got the 2 OLY barrels, it was actually WORK to get the taper pins out.  
Link Posted: 7/30/2004 9:25:09 PM EDT
[#21]
i like model 1
Link Posted: 7/31/2004 6:26:25 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I just received an M4 kit from them... very well made. Better finish than a Bushmaster IMHO (is that heresy ?). Won't get to shoot it for a while though. Maybe I'll post a range report sometime.

Cool ... I'm planning on picking up an M4 kit once the ban sunsets .. looks like it's going to be the model 1 kit.
Link Posted: 7/31/2004 7:47:10 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

KA

Yes, the "ears" have been removed.  I play by the rules until the rules go away.  I appreciate the concern and all the IM's I got over this.  Thanks everyone.

J

Ha, isn't it funny how we follow the law to the letter.  I wonder how many sheeple comply with tax laws, immigration laws, FCC laws like we do.  Sorry about the hijack.

If you go with the HBAR, you can always have it lightened or changed to a M4 contour later on for about 50 - 60 plus shipping back and forth.
Link Posted: 7/31/2004 3:03:00 PM EDT
[#24]
I have me a Model 1 M-4gery myself and I've put 1000 rounds of WOLF through it and its worked great! The ONLY complaint I have is the heavy trigger pull. The Spring Kit from Brownells will fix that though by the end of the week when it gets here!!
Link Posted: 7/31/2004 4:38:45 PM EDT
[#25]
I've been so happy with my others I am ordering another on monday , man I can't wait for monday to get here.
Link Posted: 8/4/2004 9:06:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Side note, I ended up with RRA lowers.  He got the same deal on them as he could Stag, and it was easier.  So... just twiddling my thumbs until the ban lifts... - Gazzy!
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top