Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/21/2004 7:25:47 AM EDT
This post is dedicated to demonstrate how simple it is to assemble your own rifle, from parts.  By assembling your own rifle, you can build it the way you want, or upgrade your rifle with options you can easily add yourself.

First, it is good to become familiar with these guides, which will go into more detail than what is covered in my step by step instructions, and there is a wealth of information here:
www.ar15.com/content/guides/
www.ar15.com/content/manuals/

Now, on to the specific step by step posts:

How to assemble a stripped lower receiver with a lower parts kit:
Build your own lower receiver - Step by step instructions!

How to assemble a barrel to an upper receiver, or change your barrel:
Build your own upper - Step by step instructions!

How to install a free float tube to your upper: (LARUE, TROY, and YHM examples!)
Install your own Free Float Tube - Step by step instructions!

How to upgrade/install a match trigger:
Install your own match trigger - Step by step instructions!

Make your own cut-down low profile gas bock:
Make your own cut-down low profile gas block - Step by step instructions!

I'll be adding more, like building a stripped upper receiver, more float tube types, etc.... comments, complaints, and requests are welcome!
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:05:26 AM EDT
[#1]
You sir are my hero.

96Ag
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 10:20:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Dude, you're giving away all of our secrets.

The commoners aren't supposed to know how easy this is.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 10:23:01 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
You sir are my hero.

96Ag

+1.  Thanks for taking the time to share this great reference to us.

556man
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 1:09:05 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
-snip-
I'll be adding more, like building a stripped upper receiver, more float tube types, etc.... comments, complaints, and requests are welcome!

As a n00b who is currently buying parts for his first build, this would be tremendously helpful!
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 3:30:03 PM EDT
[#5]
FALARAK,

On your wight up How to install a free float tube to your upper:

How do you replace the  front sight post and make it plum? As I think of how this is done I can not think of a good way to keep a base line on the sight. So it's not to far left or right. Thanks for doing your reports. RED
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 3:36:24 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
How do you replace the  front sight post and make it plum? As I think of how this is done I can not think of a good way to keep a base line on the sight. So it's not to far left or right. Thanks for doing your reports. RED

Answered in the FF tube install thread.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 4:26:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks. RED
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:52:11 PM EDT
[#8]
This is a great resource.  I am new here and planning on building my first AR.  This tutorial has removed most of my anxiety on building my lower.  Pictures always convey intructions better than drawings.  Now I am just waiting for eagle firearms to get my RRA lowers in stock.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:57:18 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
This is a great resource.  I am new here and planning on building my first AR.  This tutorial has removed most of my anxiety on building my lower.  Pictures always convey intructions better than drawings.  Now I am just waiting for eagle firearms to get my RRA lowers in stock.

My thoughts exactly.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:05:09 PM EDT
[#10]
I've already built two AR carbines based on these tutorials.  I really didn't know that it was this simple...I've been cured of spending my hard earned money on over the counter Colts & Bushies!

One word of caution, invest in some of the tools, i.e., punches, action blocks, barrel wrench, etc.  It makes assembly a whole lot easier and diminishes the chances of screwing up that nicely finished lower/upper/barrel.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:34:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for posting these instructions.  I have the TM and was somewhat confident in my ability to install a FF tube on my AR.  After my ay action block arrived Wednesday, I reread the post and went to work.

A little penetrating oil, a sledge, a 5/32 punch, and determination had the FST pins out in no time.  The FST and gas tube slid right off with no problems or marring (penetrating oil was also used for this).

Following the instuctions, everything went together quickly and easily.  I can't believe that I was ever hesitant to perform this instal.  With the proper tools, the job is about as easy as field stripping and reassembling a 1911 pistol.

I shot the rifle today.  Rifle functioned perfectly and produced 5 shot groups just at or under 1" at 100 yards with standard 20" factory barrel with both Federal 55gr and BH77gr ammo (was happy to note that the 1 in 9 inch twist stabilized the 77 gr bullets).

Thanks again for the post.  The ease of the FF instal has not only boosted my confidence in working on the AR but has also increased my enjoyment of the hobby as well.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:36:14 PM EDT
[#12]
This helped a great deal tonight when i assembled my new lower. Only problem i ran into was trying to figure out how the trigger and hammer springs were supposed to sit in. Finally took and broke down my complete rifle and looked at it. Really easy to do IMO, took bout an hour or so for this one and i feel like i cold another one in probaly 30 minutes or so. Thanks for the great step by step.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:37:43 PM EDT
[#13]
LOL, now i feel really stupid, if i had just scrolled won a little farther i would have seen the pics of the trigger and hammer, guess i got a little impatienth.gif
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:13:01 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
This post is dedicated to demonstrate how simple it is to assemble your own rifle, from parts...

Bless you, sir!  

As long as I had owned/shot ARs, I had never actually built one from scratch.  I printed out the FAQ instructions long ago intending to do so, but I always wimped out and bought lowers with the internal parts installed.  I'd changed grips, stocks, buffer tubes, etc. and even replaced some lower pins and springs, but I'd never built a lower.  Until yesterday.

This thread is what pushed me over the edge.  While the FAQ instructions are entirely adequate IMO, this thread stressed how EASY it is.  So my 20th AR is my very 1st lower built from scratch, as well as my first AR pistol!

If ANYBODY out there is still on the bubble, please just DO IT!  I am very clumsy & not particularly mechanically inclined.  Armed only with info from here (both threads, printed out) and simple hand tools (no roll-pin punches or pivot-pin inst. tool) I got it right the very first time in a little over an hour, with Junior in the floor beside me and The Wiggles on the TV.  It really is surprisingly easy - now I just wish I had taken the plunge many ARs ago...
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 9:09:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Awesome!
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 10:21:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Thank you for your post! I assembled my first lower tonight with the assistance of your post and the FAQ. Your photos really helped. Only DS move was when I screwed the buffer tube out over the retainer. Wasn't thinkng. Fixed it by using a angled dental pick to push the retainer down to get the buffer tube out. I used a RRA parts kit, 6 position stock from Legal Transfers and bushy lower from a local shop. Everything fit fine as it should. I put on an LMT  16" carbine  barrled upper from BravoCompany. Both dealers were great to purchase from.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 3:30:54 AM EDT
[#17]
just finished replacing my barrel and wouldnt have thought to attempt it without the help of this thread or this site. next up is free float
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 10:44:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Thank you Sir!
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:18:04 PM EDT
[#19]
I am grateful for your time and effort. Well done!
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 2:05:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Just what I needed!!!!! thanks
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 5:26:27 PM EDT
[#21]
you might as well do a write up from beginning to end in entireity on building an AR from scratch, then you could market it.  Add in a section of how to properly dissamble for cleaning, what you should do for longtime storage, etc, etc. and you have yourself a nice little publication.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 9:09:37 PM EDT
[#22]
I too am looking to build an upper from scratch and am a complete newbie so a tutorial on this would be GREATLY APPRECIATED as were your other tutorials.  Thanks
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 4:36:10 PM EDT
[#23]
How do you change gas blocks? Like how would I remove an A2 sight and install a weaver gas block?
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 4:40:55 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
How do you change gas blocks? Like how would I remove an A2 sight and install a weaver gas block?

1-Remove any flashhider/muzzle brake.

2-on the A2 block, push out small pin holding the gas tube in place,

3- REMOVE the 4 hex bolts at the bottom of the sight base

4- pull off the A2 sight/block- the gas tube will stay in place.

5-reverse procedure for installation, use some Anti-seize or moly lube on the block
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 6:12:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Is it as easy as it looks in writting? Doesn't sound bad at all.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 6:23:28 PM EDT
[#26]
the hardest part is the pin and actually pulling it off if there is alot of carbon residue in the block

oh and make SHURE that you line up the block with the barrel hole ....otherwise your bolt wont eject the brass
Link Posted: 11/26/2004 11:48:51 AM EDT
[#27]
Thank you. Or, as they say in Germany, Donkeyshorts herron Falarak.
Link Posted: 12/1/2004 8:38:21 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
the hardest part is the pin and actually pulling it off if there is alot of carbon residue in the block

oh and make SHURE that you line up the block with the barrel hole ....otherwise your bolt wont eject the brass

How do you make sure the block and the gas port are properly aligned?
Link Posted: 12/1/2004 2:36:31 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How do you make sure the block and the gas port are properly aligned?

Get a sharpie marker: sharpie dot parallel with the barrel hole. sharpie dot parallel with the gas plug hole. Line em up. Get creative
Link Posted: 12/2/2004 6:17:28 AM EDT
[#30]
Thanks!

I think I get it now.  Looks like my next upper will be assembled by me rather than purchased assembled.  This is gonna be a LOT of fun.

Link Posted: 12/13/2004 5:17:12 PM EDT
[#31]
/
Link Posted: 12/14/2004 1:05:27 AM EDT
[#32]
Falarak,
   Thank you soooo much for this bad-ass thread!!!
Link Posted: 12/18/2004 1:33:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Help.  I'm putting together a CavArms MarkII lower and things are a bit different.  It looks everyhting is OK including the safety assembly which was bass ackwards.  

I'm on step 9 of the assemble your own lower instructions.  I've got the Buffer Pin and Spring in place...How does the long Pivot / Takedown detent and Spring go through the stock?  Looks like a tight fir\t and I don't want to screw it up.

Also the hammer pin is a little recessed since the lower is a bit thicker than standard...Is this right?

Thanks for helping a Noob.
Link Posted: 12/18/2004 7:04:39 PM EDT
[#34]
A well deserved pinned post!  I'm new to the AR, but with my laptop set close enough to the vise to keep checking step by step I was able to install my Daniel Defense 9.5FSP without much trouble at all (this looking at examples of other manufacturer FF tubes).
Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/21/2004 5:45:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Well done lots of very good infor there,outstanding job!!!
Link Posted: 12/24/2004 11:32:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Bought my first AR a couple of months ago and love it.  I am buying parts to assemble the next one myself after reviewing the step by step instructions.  I want to build an AR for long range target/varmint shooting with a 24" barrel.  Can a barrel for an AR be ported?  Will it adversly affect the operation of the weapon?  Would anything be gained by having it ported?
Thanks,
            BikerJack
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 11:02:31 AM EDT
[#37]
there is a god, and he loves you...

Link Posted: 1/3/2005 1:09:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Thanks for your help FALARAK! Your info was instrumental in my running out and buying some lowers hug.gifsalute  
Link Posted: 1/31/2005 4:07:29 AM EDT
[#39]
These instructions are awesome, they are exactly what I was looking for.
Link Posted: 2/7/2005 10:43:07 AM EDT
[#40]
I really am looking forward to you doing 'building a stripped upper receiver' When do you think you might have that done?

BTW You have given me the faith to do this on my owm.

COOP
Link Posted: 2/7/2005 11:12:15 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I really am looking forward to you doing 'building a stripped upper receiver' When do you think you might have that done?

If someone will send me a stripped upper, and a upper parts kit, I will gladly do it!    Honestly, I typically buy my uppers complete... and just havent had the notion to take one of mine apart for the sake of doing so.  Most of my writeups are just actual projects I did.  Maybe one of these days.  
Link Posted: 2/15/2005 6:43:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Thanks, just completed my first build using your guide.
Link Posted: 2/18/2005 5:28:42 AM EDT
[#43]
Where is the guide to building "your own Upper"?? When I click the link, it just takes me back to the main, "build it yourself" forum..
Link Posted: 2/18/2005 6:22:06 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Where is the guide to building "your own Upper"?? When I click the link, it just takes me back to the main, "build it yourself" forum..

CRAP!  I just IM'd goatboy.... hopefully he can get it back.  

Please please please dont tell me the upper thread is lost forever in "archive server" hell.  
Link Posted: 2/18/2005 5:52:39 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

I thought it was me as I kept clicking on that link and going in circles.  I hope it comes back as I really need the info.

Link Posted: 2/18/2005 8:21:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Anybody make a backup?? I am sure it took some work to put it together. How about the hosting service, do they make backups of the server? Its possible to retrieve off an archive.

I am sure a lot of work when into developing the document, I would hate to see your work lost.
Link Posted: 2/22/2005 11:25:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 2/23/2005 5:12:13 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=225814

Thats cool.  I just wish we could get the original post back, it had lots of good tips from other people's experience as well.
Link Posted: 2/23/2005 7:52:05 AM EDT
[#49]
This should stay tacked.
Link Posted: 2/27/2005 7:39:26 PM EDT
[#50]
:)
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top