Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2004 7:18:00 PM EDT
Thinking about puting together a car-15. Would like an A1 upper as I think the 800m A2 sights on a carbine are a little optimistic and I would like to keep it as simple as possible. Would also like a chrome lined 16" lightweight barrel to help keep the weight down. I've seen a DPMS A1 upper with 11.5" chrome lined barrel, 5.5" FS, and bolt carrier assembly for around$400. I'm a little concerned about balistics from that short a barrel. Undecided on a lower. Thinking either DPMS, Olympic, or Grizzly.  Having a hard time finding the A1 upper with lightweight barrel. How important is the chrome lining? Who makes the best lower? Unfortunately money is a consideration as Uncle Sam doesn't pay me by the hour. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 10:28:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm a newbie too, so can't answer all your questions, but from all of the info i've gathered a regular chrome moly bbl will start shooting inaccurately at 3-5k rounds. if you plan on shooting a lot of rounds at 100 -200 yds or less, i gather chrome plated barrel is the way to go. I haven't heard anything bad about the lowers you were asking about. Again.. these answers aren't from experience, just research. I'm currently in the gulf of mexico... No gun shops around here... I've spent pretty much all week looking through this site, now i know what i want/need and will be shopping when i get home from work. Wish i could offer more, hope it helps. also, no sure how to post a thread, but do a search on chrome moly bbls and you should find more indepth answers in the thread i made.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 3:32:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 4:49:18 AM EDT
[#3]
If your shootin' at 100 yds or so that short of a barrel should not be much of an issue. I have a similar upper and can do just fine as far as accuracy goes.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 5:00:31 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I'll look for your post in Troubleshooting in a couple of months.

Link Posted: 10/4/2004 5:24:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Any of the name brand lowers you see people talk about here will be fine, as long as it's forged. Mega, Grizzly, Stag, etc. etc.  You don't need to pay $150 for a well known name unless you really want that brand.

For the parts kit, you might be wise to go thru a company for your first one, since you may need their return policy at some point (or their customer service is a part is missing or incorrect).

Try calling any of the major companies, Model 1 Sales is in question right now due to a problem they are having with a board member here.  M&A might be a good place to start.

Building a kit is supereasy, don't sweat it. Just get one where the upper is already assembled and headspaced and you should be fine.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 7:10:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Just wanted to thank the folks who responded or took the time to read my post. I appreciate the imput. Guess I still have some thinking to do. Thanks again.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 7:29:33 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Save up your money and buy a factory rifle, either Colt, RRA, or BFI.

And how many people on here have built rifles with kits that work for half the price of a Colt?

Buying a Colt just doesn't make any financial sense.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 8:04:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 8:20:09 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The Colt bashers can't even read past their own biases. Where did I say "Colt or nothing" Mr 86 posts?

If your kit gun works just fine there is a damn good chance you haven't shot it enough.

I don't hate Colt, but I wouldn't spend hundreds of dollars more for one over a Bushmaster, RRA or whatever just for a horse logo.

I get it now, knowledge here is directly related to post count. Interesting. How does one ever get a high post count? Do people just ignore you until you have at least several thousand? That's strange too if the factory didn't put the gun to together it won't work, that's weird. I learn something new everyday.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 8:35:31 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
If your kit gun works just fine there is a damn good chance you haven't shot it enough.

I beg to disagree.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 8:46:26 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I beg to disagree.

I don't think you should. You only have 255 posts.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 9:13:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 10:09:32 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Try calling any of the major companies, Model 1 Sales is in question right now due to a problem they are having with a board member here.  M&A might be a good place to start.

please elaborate
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 10:18:11 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I don't think you should. You only have 255 posts.

Exactly.

He was being sarcastic because you called him mr. 86 posts.

the number of posts doesn't mean shit.  Apparantly some ppl can have 4000+ posts and still be wrong.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 10:36:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 10:41:22 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
No? Sarsasm on line? I've never heard of that.

now you have.

Just keep telling yourself that. Generally, the more active members have been here longer and have had access to more information longer while low post count members are usually trolls and posers. There are exceptions but they only prove the rule.

And you can keep telling yourself that.  Judging someone by their post count is simply low.  And I wasn't trolling.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 11:12:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 11:20:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Troller/poser checking in.  One more post closer to enlightenment apparently.

Seriously guys, let it go.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 1:45:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 1:49:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Might as well bump this thread turned sour to increase my knowledge.

25 years of shooting experience be damned!
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 5:27:19 AM EDT
[#21]

Aha!  But I am both a troll *and* a poser, therefore this theory you posit is not merely an either/or proposition.  I plan on instantaneously converting from troll/poser to knowledgeable-asshole at right around 4.5k posts.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 6:16:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 7:25:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Not sure how you took that one Tweak, but no offense was intended.  I just couldn't pass up the chance to be a smart ass.  I've seen your posts in troubleshooting and you know your shit.  Didn't mean to cause you more aggravation.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 7:39:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 12:04:02 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

please elaborate

anybody?
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 12:18:08 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 4:46:01 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
First, post count does equate to internet experience but not necessarily rifle exerience.

I do understand what Tweak is getting at, and in a statistical sense of course post count is a decent indicator of newness to the ar-15 internet community.  However, it is important to also realize that arfcom post count is completely orthogonal to ar-15/m-16 experience, shooting experience in general, and "internet experience".  In my case, for example, I've been internet-savvy for about a decade now, and an avid shooter for the past 6 years, but my join date and post count does happen to reflect my relative inexperience with ARs.  But there will always be those who have a large amount of experience in all the relevant areas and still have low post counts.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 5:02:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top