BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 12/10/2004 6:48:03 PM EDT
As in, if I painted a black charging handle and ejection port cover how great would be the difference?

edited to bring this topic back to life again. Since I've completed the project that initiated the original question, and post pics (  The Family  ), I've gotten asked about the Norrell's MolyResin.

It's good stuff, easy to apply, and looks good.

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread. It sure helped me out and many more I'm sure.
Link Posted: 12/10/2004 7:03:11 PM EDT
[#1]
They are very close, I painted a 20" HB barrel with the norrels and it matched the colt upper much more that I would have thought,
I've seen Colt rifles with more of a color mismatch come from the factory then with the moly coat
Link Posted: 12/10/2004 8:31:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Damn it all to hell.

Another expense.

Thanks YardDog. I appreciate it. Looks like I'll be ordering some in the morning.

These are brand new parts. Would I really have to sand/bead blast them like the instructions say? Or can I just degrease them and spray? I read the instructions on Norells site and he recommended acetone, wouldn't Gun Scrubber/brake cleaner work just as well? It sure seems to degrease everything will the added benefit of the spray pressure.

Link Posted: 12/10/2004 9:03:52 PM EDT
[#3]
You might want to take a look at a refinishing thread I wrote up, if you have any question feel free to email or PM me, but it is pretty complete.  There are a lot of people here who have bragging rights with the weapons they have refinished with Norrells.  

Pre-Ban.com AR15 Refinishing Guide

Here is a picture of Mrs Sticks lightweight AR15 done in Colt Gray (upper, lower and carry handle) with everything else in Socom (matte black).

Link Posted: 12/10/2004 9:11:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Crap!! That looks awesome!

I'm changing the configuration of my rifle and was only wanting to match the colors of the new, black parts to the receivers without having to redo the receivers themselves.

And now I'm off to read your other thread.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/10/2004 9:27:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Thankyou, I have a lot of pictures, and I've used the Norrells a bit.  Let me know if you have any questions.  The write up I did is very in depth, but it makes it seem harder than it actually is.  Its a simple process....clean, degrease, heat, spray, bake.

Here are a couple closer up pics....

This was one of the most beat receivers I have ever seen.  The metal was fine, but it was ugly as home-made-sin.

barrel and sight refinished

national match sight refinished
Link Posted: 12/10/2004 11:53:13 PM EDT
[#6]

The upper is Original Colt.  The lower was refinished with Norrels Colt grey.  Pretty good match if you ask me.
Link Posted: 12/11/2004 5:00:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Good grief Darkest2000! Another awesome rifle!

BTW, that's my next project. Hope to order the M16 kit later next week.

Thanks guys for showing off your beautiful rifles. I appreciate it.
Link Posted: 12/11/2004 9:30:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Stickman: quick question, whenever you spary over holes (like gas tube hole on the FSB), do you cover them with like a little piece of tape ?
thanks
Link Posted: 12/11/2004 10:02:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Do you mean the hole for the gas tube pin on the FSB?  I do not tape them off.  Norrells is a very thin coating, and I've nver had any problems, it certainly isn't going to clog the hole.

I'm not really sure what you are asking, so I hope I gave you some sort of answer.

One of the next projects I'm going to do is to coat a bolt carrier.  This is simply going to be a project to gauge how much effect there is on applied thickness of inner workings, and to see if it will do anything to the function of the weapon.  I'll probably do it OD Green, just because I've got plenty of that color on hand, and it will show the wear pattern more than some of the other colors.
Link Posted: 12/11/2004 10:05:56 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Do you mean the hole for the gas tube pin on the FSB?  I do not tape them off.  Norrells is a very thin coating, and I've nver had any problems, it certainly isn't going to clog the hole.

I'm not really sure what you are asking, so I hope I gave you some sort of answer.

yes that' what I meant...also what happn is that I have a new WOA SS barrel in 16" and it has a hole by the gas system..it was painted with lauer when i bought it and the guy put a little piece of tape on top of the hole but obvioulsy that part ain't painted now...duw ..so I wanna re-coat the whole barrel with Norrel socaom flat black now..so I need to stripp the lauer paint then use Norrel...thanks for ur help.
Link Posted: 12/11/2004 11:41:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Well,  darn it.

I just got done ordering an 8oz. bottle of gray/black. And this morining I went to Wallyworld and bought an airbrush and oven thermometer.

Oh booooy! We're in for a ride now.
Link Posted: 12/11/2004 2:15:54 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Well,  darn it.

I just got done ordering an 8oz. bottle of gray/black. And this morining I went to Wallyworld and bought an airbrush and oven thermometer.

Oh booooy! We're in for a ride now. hr

Hey Bumblebee Bob,
Just looked at those today too. Hoping I get mine as an XMas gift.
Did you get the model with the compressor or the spray can type?
Link Posted: 12/11/2004 3:12:50 PM EDT
[#13]
I got the $19.95 or so model with the 6' remote hose and canned air.

I looked at the compressor, what was it - $40?, and don't see myself using the airbrush enough to justify that expense. Besides, that's money away from "the projects."

Follow Stickman's link to Preban.com and he has a pic posted of the same type airbrush I bought. Very good article too.
Link Posted: 12/11/2004 3:35:23 PM EDT
[#14]
How would a Prevel sprayer work?
Link Posted: 12/11/2004 7:43:56 PM EDT
[#15]
I bought the cheapest sprayer I could, and it works very well.  You do not need to spend much to get an airbrush that will spray Norrells very nicely.
Link Posted: 12/12/2004 4:55:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Prevel sprayers are really disposable, they cost about $6.00 at Home Depot or you neighborhood paint store. I have used these to shellac M-44's, but it is a wider spray.
Link Posted: 12/12/2004 7:20:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Not the gray, but you want to match a black upper to a gray lower.

Here is one I did for a friend with a "blemished" flattop from LAR, and his old gray Essential lower.  At the time of this photo we were waiting on a real delta ring to replace the fake plastic one he had.  I did the barrel under the handguard black, and FSB and barrel out front in OD.  The FH is black.

If you only ordered 8 oz, you didn't get enough.  8 oz is plenty for two or three rifles.  But you will be doing more than that.  Your friends will be lined up.
Link Posted: 12/12/2004 8:43:13 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

If you only ordered 8 oz, you didn't get enough.  8 oz is plenty for two or three rifles.  But you will be doing more than that.  Your friends will be lined up.

Isn't that the truth!!
Link Posted: 12/12/2004 9:36:08 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Not the gray, but you want to match a black upper to a gray lower.

Here is one I did for a friend with a "blemished" flattop from LAR, and his old gray Essential lower.  At the time of this photo we were waiting on a real delta ring to replace the fake plastic one he had.  I did the barrel under the handguard black, and FSB and barrel out front in OD.  The FH is black.

www.castle-arms.com/AFM/buddy.jpg

That's georgous! Bet it turned out real nice.

All that I'll be painting this time is the black pieces/parts to finish out a stripped gray SP1 upper receiver. It's darn near a perfect match to my Sporter Match HBAR lower. So it'll be the ejection port cover, maybe the rear site assembly (haven't decided yet - maybe just the windage wheel), buffer tube and lock plate for the carbine stock and the new Bushie barrel assembly.

I'm hoping I can get one of the M16/M16a1 kits out there before they disappear, then I'll have to paint a new lower to match.

As for my friends lining up, at $23 per 8oz. they better have some green in the other hand.
Link Posted: 12/12/2004 10:24:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Bumblebee_Bob

Make sure when you spray the small parts that you don't tip your airbrush at too much of an angle, it often causes spatter and a lower quality in the overall finish.

I think I wrote up something about that in the review thread, but I can't remember.
Link Posted: 12/12/2004 10:30:13 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I'm hoping I can get one of the M16/M16a1 kits out there before they disappear, then I'll have to paint a new lower to match.

Details, what, where, how much.  I'd love to do a 60's style AR.
Link Posted: 12/12/2004 10:32:31 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Details, what, where, how much.  I'd love to do a 60's style AR.

Good question, I thought most of the decently priced ones had dried up....
Link Posted: 12/12/2004 10:54:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Thanks for the tip Stickman. I don't remember it in you review post.

There's a guy in EE that's selling the kits. Just save one for me.
Link Posted: 12/12/2004 12:13:44 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Thanks for the tip Stickman. I don't remember it in you review post.

There's a guy in EE that's selling the kits. Just save one for me.

I just checked, it is in the 1911 refinishing guide, but not in the AR15 version.
Link Posted: 12/12/2004 8:58:45 PM EDT
[#25]
OK, you did like I did and, being cheap, I mean, conservative, you ordered 8 oz.  Just go on and order the quart next time.  8 oz is $23, and a quart is only $50.  You will use it.  Go back to Wallyworld and get some more airbrush propellant.

The LEO's rifle (with the OD, which covered the original black and gray perfectly) was done with OD on the FSB and forward portion of the barrel.  I masked off the FH and did it black, figuring it would get stained anyway.  

He has a First Samco 4 rail handguard, foregrip, and a light mounted.  All those parts are black.  The grip and CAR stock are black.  So, it is half and half and looks pretty good, I think.

I wish he'd give me back my Eotech.  He has been "trying it out" for 2 months now... what you do for friends, huh?

Come to think of it, I gave him that grip AND the CAR stock.  And I got the blemished upper for him (it WAS going to go on one of mine).  Damn, half that gun is built out of parts he scrounged off me!!!  Hah!!!
Link Posted: 12/13/2004 1:27:21 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
One of the next projects I'm going to do is to coat a bolt carrier.  This is simply going to be a project to gauge how much effect there is on applied thickness of inner workings, and to see if it will do anything to the function of the weapon.

I did a ArmaLite AR-10 bolt/carrier with Norrell's, no problem.
Link Posted: 12/13/2004 11:07:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Good to know, thankyou.
Link Posted: 12/14/2004 1:02:06 PM EDT
[#28]
I was coming home from dropping off stuff at Fed Ex, and a car fell in behind me and followed me all the way into my driveway.  The windows were darkly tinted, and the push bars on the bumper made me think it might be da fuzz... sure enough my LEO friend.  Darned if he wasn't returning my Eotech!  He had just gotten one for himself after trying mine.

We took a few pix of his AR on the hood of his car.
Link Posted: 12/14/2004 4:08:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Tell that slacker to make sure he uses it as a tax write off.....
Link Posted: 12/14/2004 5:43:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Heys guys, where in Wally world are you finding these airbrushes? I have looked in the two near me and can't find, and gees don't asked anyone who works there, you get that deer in the headlights look..
Link Posted: 12/14/2004 6:42:00 PM EDT
[#31]
go to the Toys section of wallmart and look for where the Testors model supplies are displayed..   I bought my airbrush kit at wallmart on monday..
Link Posted: 12/15/2004 8:56:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Here is another close up pic that shows the difference...

Link Posted: 12/16/2004 4:31:56 PM EDT
[#33]
The big question I have about Norrell's, is...

Does it stink when you bake it?

I've used moly-teflon before, and that stuff left my house smelling awful for days.
Link Posted: 12/16/2004 4:49:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Yes, but not as bad as the Brownell's Teflon, that has got to be the smelliest of them all.
Link Posted: 12/16/2004 5:52:19 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I've used moly-teflon before, and that stuff left my house smelling awful for days.

Preheat your surface so most of the solvent evaporates on contact.  The smell is negligible if you have a decent kitchen vent fan and use it.  If you are seriously worried, wait a night, then bake it the next day.
Link Posted: 12/16/2004 7:15:38 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Fairly strong while it's baking but after the oven cools down and the house air's out you'd never know.

Even fairly strong is a relative term, I dont mind the smell but My wife has a problem with it.

Love the stuff AND Stickman's pictures.
Link Posted: 12/16/2004 7:23:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Drink a few beers, push a few buttons, and you end up with gun pics.... Not much else to it, but thankyou.
Link Posted: 12/16/2004 8:17:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 12/18/2004 8:11:41 PM EDT
[#39]
I read an article having to do with refinishing.  In getting ideas, I can't remember who was using photoeditor and changing the colors around.  What I am trying to picture in my mind is these two ideas; digital woodland camo, and standard woodland camo.  Having not seen any rifles done in either of these two colors I can only imagine what my Bushy would look like.  Can someone show me pictures of these paint schemes?  Can the person that is using photoeditor help me?  Thanks.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2004 11:19:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Here are a few different themes that someone has done to a few of my ARs, I hope it helps give you a few ideas...

Link Posted: 12/18/2004 11:21:21 PM EDT
[#41]

Link Posted: 12/18/2004 11:23:04 PM EDT
[#42]

Link Posted: 12/27/2004 10:40:53 AM EDT
[#43]
exocet asked:  quick question, whenever you spary over holes (like gas tube hole on the FSB), do you cover them with like a little piece of tape ?  thanks

I don't mask, cover, or plug anything.  I spray right over the barrel nut threads on the receiver, don't plug any of the detent, pushpin, or trigger/hammer pin holes.  Nothing.  Norrell's goes on so thin as to not matter.
Link Posted: 12/27/2004 9:32:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Agreed.
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 6:49:23 PM EDT
[#45]
You guys ROCK!!! Great posts - Great pics.

Question - How do you feel about Dura-Coat?  I'm interested in doing an Urban Camo theme and see the Molly Resin doesn't seem to offer white.

Again, thanks for sharing - I'm looking forward to starting this project.
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 9:28:20 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Question - How do you feel about Dura-Coat?  I'm interested in doing an Urban Camo theme and see the Molly Resin doesn't seem to offer white.

Again, thanks for sharing - I'm looking forward to starting this project.

Call them up and ask, I thought they did.  If you end up using DC, I doubt you will regret it.  THey are both good products.

I use Norrells because of its ease of application.  I've also been told it is more forgiving in its application, while other products allow zero room for error. I'm not sure if that is 100% legit, but it is from sources I trust.
Link Posted: 12/30/2004 6:17:18 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Norrell's does offer a Flat Off-White, not sure what it looks like, never tried it.  

Steve sent me a sample of his Dura-Coat when it first came out, never tried it because you have to mix three different things, it won't cure thermally (you have to wait a week or so for it to harden), and it won't stand up to harsh solvents.  The finished product looks fantastic though, Steve showed me several DSA FAL's that he had done.  I got the idea that both DSA and Barrett were using Dura-Coat (three year old info here).  Would be perfect if you needed to coat a optic or a plastic with a low melting point.

Quoted:
I use Norrells because of its ease of application.  I've also been told it is more forgiving in its application, while other products allow zero room for error. I'm not sure if that is 100% legit, but it is from sources I trust.

My experience is that Norrell's is the easiest to use.  Gun-Kote is also "forgiving", but takes significantly more time to apply.

BTW, I got a custom color from John Norrell, it is Semi-Gloss Grayish Black.  If you get a custom color you have to order a whole gallon of the stuff, but he will package it up in quarts for you.  This custom color is a tad darker then Flat Grayish-Black but with a slight sheen like his Semi-Gloss Black.  I got some of this custom color because the Flat Grayish-Black leaves a rough texture that does not feel, or reflect light quite like typical Colt's anodizing.
Link Posted: 12/30/2004 6:40:08 AM EDT
[#48]
Here are some more examples.  Coated this MT6400C lower with Norrell's Flat Black mixed with a touch of Norrell's Flat Grayish-Black to match my old "pre-ban" M4gery parts kit.  The upper receiver dates from about 1996 and has the original finish.  Right before Colt's finish went to black it was a very dark gray, I think the upper and lower came out a good match:

This is my M16A1 clone, the upper, lower, delta ring, and charging handle are done in Norrell's Grayish - Black Flat.  

Norrell's Grayish - Black Flat is the only color I have had some trouble with.  The upper and charging handle ended up with a slight green tint to it.  Redid it and same result.  Only other time I had this happen was with Gun-Kote.  As  mentioned before I don't like the texture and reflective qualities of the Grayish - Black Flat, so have redone the upper, lower, delta ring, and charging handle with custom  Semi-Gloss Grayish Black Moly.  Will have to shoot some picture of what it looks like now and post em up.

For more pictures of some of my refinish projects go here:

www.parkerizingtanks.com/yabbse/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=92
Link Posted: 12/31/2004 9:59:50 AM EDT
[#49]
Here is the same rifle redone with Semi-Gloss Grayish Black Moly:

Link Posted: 12/31/2004 10:02:24 AM EDT
[#50]
VERY nice!  I like it a lot!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top