Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 15
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:37:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I feel stupid, but where can I find information on the M-16 for a school report?
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:37:31 PM EDT
[#2]
If you remove the break from a 16" barrel does the replacement break have to be permanently fixed, or is it not necessary since the barrel is 16" to start with?
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:44:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FALARAK] [#3]

Originally Posted By stevemr2t:
If you remove the break from a 16" barrel does the replacement break have to be permanently fixed, or is it not necessary since the barrel is 16" to start with?

As long as you are sure the barrel 16", the brake does not have to be permanently attached.

If your original muzzle break was permanently attached, it would be because it was made during the ban, when threaded barrels were a no-no.  The permanent attachment was for AWB ban compliance.

As long as you live in a state that does not have any sort of replica ban (TX does NOT), then there is no need to have any muzzle device attached permanently, provided your barrel is 16" or longer.

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 3:17:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Tag.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 4:44:56 PM EDT
[#5]

Originally Posted By FALARAK:
Install your own free-float rail system, step by step:

YHM ultralight carbine step by step:

Ok, lets cover the necessary tools.  What you need:

Since this procedure requires removal of the barrel/barrel nut, you will need many of the same tools as listed in the Step by step guide to building a complete upper, above.

Where is the above mentioned guide to building a complete upper?  I can't find it in this post.
cb
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 4:51:27 PM EDT
[#6]

Originally Posted By Charliebee:

Originally Posted By FALARAK:
Install your own free-float rail system, step by step:

YHM ultralight carbine step by step:

Ok, lets cover the necessary tools.  What you need:

Since this procedure requires removal of the barrel/barrel nut, you will need many of the same tools as listed in the Step by step guide to building a complete upper, above.

Where is the above mentioned guide to building a complete upper?  I can't find it in this post.
cb

That didnt mean building a complete upper *receiver* from a stripped receiver - that meany building a complete *upper*, which is the barreled receiver.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:00:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Well, knock me over with a feather - Since when does a complete upper only mean a barreled receiver?  Guess I had better go back to screwel and learn to read minds.
cb
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:03:06 PM EDT
[#8]
tag for future reference.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 9:02:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Great Post!!!

I will enjoy installing my new RRA quad rail free float!
If I hadn't read your post first, I would have shit when I receive my shipment
and looked for my local GS
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 1:41:56 PM EDT
[#10]
One of my officers brought in an upper from a AR pistol he has.  He wants to install a YHM ultra light 4 rail handguard in place of what is currently installed.

It currently has a 4 rail gas block that I am not familiar with.  I can find the gas tube pin, but I cannot find any other taper pins holding the GB in place.

I suspect there's more than just a little locktite involved in keeping it in place.  

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/nturavrgcop/detail?.dir=/10a1&.dnm=e3bb.jpg

Over all shot

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/nturavrgcop/detail?.dir=/10a1&.dnm=399d.jpg&.src=ph

Shot of Gas Tube Pin

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/nturavrgcop/detail?.dir=/10a1&.dnm=9208.jpg&.src=ph

Bottom of Gas Block.  There appear to be two holes, but for the live of me and my limited vision, I do not see any taper or other form of pins.

Anyone have experience with these?
Link Posted: 4/24/2006 7:46:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Bump to add new section on SPR project build.
Link Posted: 4/27/2006 5:59:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Tag

Thanks for all the good info
Link Posted: 5/2/2006 10:14:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Just built my first lower. Thank you Falarak, I could not have done it without you. You made it seem easy, It only took 45 minutes and I was taking my time.

You rock!!!
Link Posted: 5/8/2006 5:57:48 AM EDT
[#14]
quick question but what is the most acceptable way to install a flash hider permanently?
Link Posted: 5/8/2006 7:56:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/8/2006 10:32:43 PM EDT
[#16]

Originally Posted By ilikelegs:
tag since I am building a pistol AR with my stripped lower.

Quoted from page 1 for the reading impaired:

And just FYI - there is no need to "tag" this post..... it is, and will be, tacked at the top of the "Build It Yourself" forum.
Link Posted: 5/9/2006 12:03:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/15/2006 4:45:55 PM EDT
[#18]
tag for all of the great build info
Link Posted: 5/28/2006 10:57:43 AM EDT
[#19]
I have been wanting to rebarrel my AR15. Thanks for the information.
Link Posted: 6/1/2006 6:10:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Sorry for being such a newbie, but do you really need the stock tool when installing an A2 stock into the lower? I'd rather not waste the $8 if it isn't necessary. Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 6/1/2006 6:16:48 PM EDT
[#21]
For $8 you are almost guaranteed not to damage or scratch the stock  tube or receiver.  A cheap investment for a tight clean looking weapon.
Link Posted: 6/1/2006 6:18:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FALARAK] [#22]
Link Posted: 6/1/2006 6:21:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks FALARAK!
Link Posted: 6/7/2006 9:28:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Carphunter] [#24]
I thought I've seen a post somewhere where these fine instructions had been compiled into a printer-friendly pdf.  Or am I missing a post in this thread?

Well never mind I guess... I got mine assembled tonight without incident.

Didn't launch any detents... but have a few choice words for the hammer pin, bolt release pin, and trigger guard pin :)
Link Posted: 6/8/2006 10:49:05 AM EDT
[#25]
tag
Link Posted: 6/13/2006 10:31:57 PM EDT
[#26]
I didn't see this in the other pages so I thought I might add it. I just finished my first lower (sans stock since I'm still trying to decide what I want). I was a little nervous about launching the detent spring for the pivot pin so I setup a white grocery bag and aimed it in there just in case. My tip, though, is to just use your finger to start the pin and once you have it a little ways in the hole, use a small flat tipped screwdriver to compress it the rest of the way as you push the pin into position. Hope this helps someone. No detents were harmed during the buidling of this lower.
Link Posted: 6/13/2006 11:21:48 PM EDT
[#27]

Originally Posted By JaxShooter:
I didn't see this in the other pages so I thought I might add it. I just finished my first lower (sans stock since I'm still trying to decide what I want). I was a little nervous about launching the detent spring for the pivot pin so I setup a white grocery bag and aimed it in there just in case. My tip, though, is to just use your finger to start the pin and once you have it a little ways in the hole, use a small flat tipped screwdriver to compress it the rest of the way as you push the pin into position. Hope this helps someone. No detents were harmed during the buidling of this lower.

I've used a razor blade instead of a screwdriver tip. Made a small dent in the blade with a nail that held the detent in place, was still enough room to slide the pin in over it and remove the razor.
Link Posted: 6/16/2006 12:30:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Wow,  that was easy...

Pics to come...
Link Posted: 6/16/2006 12:38:57 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/26/2006 8:31:19 AM EDT
[#30]
Are there any guides/instructions for assembling a stripped A2 upper in addition to the barrel assembly?
Link Posted: 7/3/2006 9:09:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 7/3/2006 11:03:59 PM EDT
[#32]
tag
Link Posted: 7/9/2006 9:57:44 PM EDT
[#33]
I would like your advice as to how to go about installing a Daniel Defense 12.0 FSP on my M4gery.

Here is a link :

Daniel Defense 12.0 FSP

I can only imagine that I will have to take the barrel and FSB off, remove the delta ring assembly and then install the rail and FSB at the same time.

Is this correct?

I appreciate any advice you may have on this.

Thank you.
Link Posted: 7/11/2006 12:51:46 AM EDT
[#34]
tag
Link Posted: 7/19/2006 8:46:01 PM EDT
[#35]

Originally Posted By XD_Fan:
I keep seeing the "How do I mark the safe/fire on my lower?" come up and thought I would add some info on how to do this. I'm not suggesting that one method is better than any of the others. I personally use the lacquer-stiks and have no experience with the other methods. YMMV.

Typically safe is marked white and fire red on "military" weapons that have them marked at all. HK being the typical example. Here are some methods that can be used to do this.

Make sure you clean and degrease the safe/fire grooves thoughly before making any treatment on the marking for best adhesion and best results.

1. Crayons/Grease pencils. This done by rubbing the crayon/grease pencil across the cuts in the lower until they are filled flush with surface. I have seen mention of using Blue Wonder Armadillo as a protectant over this treatment. Make sure you rub the filling in well with a clean cloth and remove any surface film around the markings for the cleanest look. Apparently Crayola crayons are the best since they are proofed and heat tested while brand x is not.

2. Testors model paint. I mention testors since its readily available and used by a number people. Using a tooth pick or pointed artist brush fill the marking with paint. This may require more than one coat depending upon the desired results and your skill. Clean up can be done with a clean cloth and solvent after paint is throughly dry.

3. Lacquer-stiks. These are available from Brownells and come in red, white, gold, silver and black. You can obtain them elsewhere I'm sure. I mention Brownells because I know they have them and keep them in stock. Once you have removed the dried crust they resemble a soft crayon and are used the same as in method 1. The lacquer-stiks differ from crayon/grease pencil as it hardens and becomes permanent.

Thank you very much for the info. Been looking for quite some time.
Link Posted: 7/20/2006 4:30:50 PM EDT
[#36]
i just got done assembling my M4gery, and it took me a total of an hour to get the entire lower assembled, not a hitch, and these instructions are just awsome, thanks guys.
Link Posted: 7/20/2006 11:56:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: djsmiles] [#37]
as i have never put together an AR before, i was wondering if you have instructions for putting together an A2 upper?  you know, the A2 sight, forward assist, and dust cover.  it looks rather easy, i just want to make sure i'm doing it right.  thanx in advance.
Link Posted: 7/23/2006 2:09:50 AM EDT
[#38]
Is it sort of normal for the bolt release to bind on the hammer when the hammer is up?

Or do I just need to lubricate it?

So far, so good.

Link Posted: 7/23/2006 9:39:13 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 7/23/2006 11:39:01 AM EDT
[#40]
I am going to replace a low profile gas block with an A2 gas block on a Bushmaster heavy barrel.  Do I need to adjust anything with this new gas block, or can I simplly use the same pin holes that are already on the barrel?
Link Posted: 7/23/2006 12:47:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 7/27/2006 4:22:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: babob] [#42]
I'm installing a LaRue 7.0 on my BM 16" Patrolman's Carbine.

Flash hider removed, no problem.

Gas tube pin removed w/ small drill bit as described on the first page of this thread.

FSB taper pins removed finally after a couple bent brass small punches.  I should have used one of the larger ones.  Have no idea what I was thinking.

Still waiting on my barrel / multi tool / wrench thingy.  Ordered a DPMS but they were on backorder.  Nice of them to tell me when I call a week later to ask why the wrench did not come w/ the punches.  Ordered another, hope it is here by tomorrow.

FALARAK, do you still suggest me dremel-ing my BM action block so that I can get the keeper piece in or have you since realized that was not necessary?

Also, when I start re-assembeling should I use new taper pins and a new gas tube roll pin or will the old ones still work?  I have all new pins just in case and a new crush washer for the flash hider which will def. be used.

Finally,  I found something disturbing when I removed the flash hider.  On very end of the threaded part of the barrel, it looked like rust or part of the barrel had broken.  There was also some of this "rust" insid e the flash hider.  I will post pics later of the end of the barrel.

Edit to add pic.
Link Posted: 7/27/2006 7:15:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 7/27/2006 8:44:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: babob] [#44]
Thanks for the reply FALARAK.

I did have to dremel the block.  It's not as pretty as your dremel (skillz) though.

I'll post some pics later.  

Thanks.

EDITED for PICS!

Not too good with my dremel skillz, but hea it worked.

Final product..almost.

Link Posted: 7/31/2006 8:08:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Thanks for the great guides!

Anyone know of a good GG&G 2-pc FF install guide?

Thanks, all.
sch40
Link Posted: 8/1/2006 7:32:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jdmpimp] [#46]

Originally Posted By XD_Fan:
I keep seeing the "How do I mark the safe/fire on my lower?" come up and thought I would add some info on how to do this. I'm not suggesting that one method is better than any of the others. I personally use the lacquer-stiks and have no experience with the other methods. YMMV.

Typically safe is marked white and fire red on "military" weapons that have them marked at all. HK being the typical example. Here are some methods that can be used to do this.

Make sure you clean and degrease the safe/fire grooves thoughly before making any treatment on the marking for best adhesion and best results.

3. Lacquer-stiks. These are available from Brownells and come in red, white, gold, silver and black. You can obtain them elsewhere I'm sure. I mention Brownells because I know they have them and keep them in stock. Once you have removed the dried crust they resemble a soft crayon and are used the same as in method 1. The lacquer-stiks differ from crayon/grease pencil as it hardens and becomes permanent.

What is the best way to remove the excess? I am having some issues getting mine to clean up without messing up the filled area. Are you supposed to let this dry a set completely before attempting to remove/clean?
Link Posted: 8/14/2006 11:10:55 PM EDT
[#47]
I have a question about torquing any of these parts.  I have a barrel/castle/armorer's wrench, and I have a torque wrench.  Am I missing something?  Do you use them together, like put the square ratcheting lug of the torque wrench in the armorer's wrench?  Wouldn't that throw off the torque scale?

Any info would be helpful.  Thanks,
sch40
Link Posted: 8/14/2006 11:42:59 PM EDT
[#48]

Originally Posted By sch40:
I have a question about torquing any of these parts.  I have a barrel/castle/armorer's wrench, and I have a torque wrench.  Am I missing something?  Do you use them together, like put the square ratcheting lug of the torque wrench in the armourers wrench?  Wouldn't that throw off the torque scale?

Any info would be helpful.  Thanks,
sch40

I'm not a physics expert but I didn't see a problem connecting the torque wrench and armourers tool to make sure of the final torque. (see pic below )

When I did my first install, the one item that I was unclear on was what the hell did everyone mean by "snug it up" two to three times and then line up the next gas tube holes.  It became obvious when I went to tighten the barrel nut and there was NO way the gas tube holes we're going to align without loosening and "snugging it up again".  Make sure to clean the threads and then apply a small amout of Moly grease before doing the snug up procedure.  I'd also like to add that when doing the "snug it" procedure it's a good idea to check the torque but I'm pretty sure it will be tight enough.  Minimum torque is 31 ftlb.  You'll get that and then some when doing the procedure and aligning the next gas tube holes.  I checked mine with the torque wrench and it clicked right away.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 8/15/2006 8:39:45 AM EDT
[#49]
definitely.  thanks for the pic also!
Link Posted: 9/16/2006 10:08:40 AM EDT
[#50]
These instructions are fantastic...

Two things I would add/change:

When installing the mag release, I find it's easier to push the button in, then rotate (windmill) the other side. That way the button is reset past the receiver. No chance of it rotating and malfunctioning.

I would recommend you add in bold big type on the front page: WEAR SAFETY GLASSES. It's a matter of time before someone's takedown detent or trigger assembly flies out and blind's someone.
Page / 15
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top