Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/16/2005 7:36:46 PM EDT
Is there an acceptable method to stake your own carrier key using relatively common tools?
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 5:58:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Center punch and hammer.
No need to go He-Man on it.
Stake from both sides on each screw.
Easy as pie.
Link Posted: 6/12/2005 5:35:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I need to stake the key on my new bolt. I usually buy complete b/c assemblies, but I had the parts around to build one. So I dont need to go he-man on it eh? I may use hi temp thread locker in addition to staking. I can't think of any reason not to do this.
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 5:33:18 AM EDT
[#3]
High temp, (commonly referred to as "red") Loctite will make it a one shot deal.
If you break a key with red applied, it will be very difficult to remove the key and replace it without damaging the bolt.
There is really no need for Loctite on an AR.
The only time I use Loctite is for grip screw bushings in 1911s or scope mounts, and then I only use blue.
Link Posted: 6/15/2005 8:20:45 PM EDT
[#4]
What's the right way to get the gas key lined up right so it engages the gas tube without binding?
Link Posted: 6/16/2005 5:54:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Buy a good quality bolt carrier and carrier key from a reputable manufacturer, and screw them together. Don't forget to stake the screws.
If you're having problems getting the gas tube and carrier key to line up, the problem is most likely that you have the gas tube slot in the  barrel nut just slightly off and it is pushing the gas tube. Use a piece of gas tube to make sure the barrel nut slot and delta pack (weld spring and snap ring) are perfectly aligned and that the gas tube is not being pushed on by any of them as it passes through the receiver.
If the barrel nut slot is off, be careful moving it. Use a torque wrench if you plan to tighten it, making sure you don;t exceed 80 ft-lbs. Use a good wrench to turn it, like the DPMS armorer's wrench, or you'll jack up the barrel nut.
Good luck.
Link Posted: 6/16/2005 6:18:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/16/2005 7:53:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Excellent info, thank you.
Link Posted: 6/16/2005 2:52:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/17/2005 5:49:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Tweak,
Do you use a stone or file to remove the burr from the stakes, or is that not an issue. I usually file the burrs down, but I'm not sure it's necessary.
Link Posted: 6/17/2005 6:16:46 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
High temp, (commonly referred to as "red") Loctite will make it a one shot deal.
If you break a key with red applied, it will be very difficult to remove the key and replace it without damaging the bolt.
There is really no need for Loctite on an AR.
The only time I use Loctite is for grip screw bushings in 1911s or scope mounts, and then I only use blue.

Not True,
All  Loktite will release at 300 degrees with a Propane torch. At 300 degrees, there is no danger of changing the metal or anything like that.
I use red on every carrier I have ever put together.
FM
Link Posted: 6/17/2005 7:55:39 AM EDT
[#11]
You're just slightly off.
http://tds.loctite.com/tds5/docs/268-EN.PDF

" For Disassembly:
1.Where hand tools do not work because of excessive engagement length or large diameters (over 1"), apply localized heat to approximately 250 degrees C (that's 428 F)."

We've already discussed the weak nature of most carrier key screws, so I will close the case on Loctite and carrier key screws now:
You don't need it, it's not a good idea.
YMMV
Link Posted: 6/18/2005 3:14:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/20/2005 5:51:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Umm, thanks?
I can read a manual, I was asking your opinion.
Link Posted: 6/20/2005 7:00:21 AM EDT
[#14]
I staked mine with a similar tool to Tweaks. I dremeled the crook off an extra Allen wrench, then ground it to a point. Worked great.

I didnt bother to file or grind any off the stakes, didn't need it, runs great.

Link Posted: 6/20/2005 7:08:01 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Not True,
All  Loktite will release at 300 degrees with a Propane torch. At 300 degrees, there is no danger of changing the metal or anything like that.
I use red on every carrier I have ever put together.
FM

Not true either.  There are literally hundreds of "Loctite" products and not all of them release at 300F.  Everybody generalizes Loctite to "red" and "blue" and there are hundreds more applications out there, and some of the others are "red" and some are "blue"
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 1:09:38 AM EDT
[#16]
I have a Bushy Carrier. Can I re-stake it to make sure it won't come loose?
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 1:14:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 10:10:24 AM EDT
[#18]
It's staked but I have read many posts around here that BFI doesn't do a good job of staking and they come loose. Looking at them they are just indented on the sides and dont seem to overlap onto the screws.
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 6:06:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Tweak,
I can read a manual but I ask the opinion of experts to try and find tricks and deviations from the manuals that work.
If you're not into giving out tips and tricks that's fine, if you just follow manuals and don't know any tricks that's fine too.
I was just asking, no need for the attitude.

BTW, It's a joke dude, don't go flippin' out on me here...
I know you contribute more that just about anybody here, maybe it was a stupid question.
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 7:12:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Why are the torque specs "useless"?

Is it 40 in-lb or not? I have torque wrenches for working on my car. Every fastener has a recommended torque level. I applied Permatex High Strength Red Threadlocker on the gas key screws, torqued them to 40 in-lb, and staked them as best as I could. I find that threadlocker should be ENOUGH in my experience dealing with fasteners on automobiles. Staking is rarely if ever done on a modern automobile.

ETA Just checked the TM 23&P, looks like 40 in-lb is the max.
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 7:24:18 AM EDT
[#21]
TM states 35 in lbs, Armalite states 40 inch lbs on there site.

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:54:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 11:31:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/18/2005 11:17:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top