Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/28/2005 7:08:55 PM EDT
Finished it in time for Bulletfest VI !

Pictures aren’t the greatest ( need a new cam) and it was Quite Dirty when I took the
Finish pics .

Start –

I purchased an Olympic “Multi” lower from an NFA dealer at the Harrisburg Gshow.
Also got the upper –  7.5” stainless barrel flattop /gasblock. -  from another dealer.

The lower was listed on the Fed. Yellow sheet as a pistol receiver – NO caliber Or barrel length given.

Since I live in PA. , the background check was performed by the PSP , and a form
Completed detailing the transfer of a Pistol receiver – again – NO caliber or
Barrel length given.

I chose this route so that I can change the caliber and/or barrel at will –
And to simplify things if I SBR this Puppy Later!

I decided to use a regular CAR receiver tube , buffer , and spring.
The NFA dealer ( also a machinegun shooter/collector ) confirmed my research
Showing NO Legal reason not to do so  as long as I NEVER put a stock on it.
(not a problem if I SBR it later though)

I installed an ARMS 40 rear , and a YH folding front ( already had on hand)

Range testing took place at (where else) BULLETFESTVI !
AMMO used was WOLF 62gr.

After a couple mags for function check , I tried different mags.
Usgi 20 rd – perfect
Usgi 30 rd – no problems
Thermold 30 rd – OOPS     The little Oly no likey oh well.

After a while I experienced some FTE ‘s – the allen screws securing the gas block had loosened –making it a single shot until I repositioned it and retightened them.

At one point some” force” was required to open the bolt and extract the fired case.
The result – I am now the proud owner of a TACTICAL (two piece) charging handle.

(for sale – best offer)  

After replacing the charging handle I had no further problems.

The sights worked well at typical Bulletfest distances – several Maytags , S-10 pickups ,
And propane tanks were perforated by the Awesome Wolf projectiles!

The best part of the day was when member Shaggy graciously allowed me to run some mags thru my upper mounted on his RDIAS Lower!  

The little shorty really spit them out.  

So , all in all – Success ! – and I owe it all to ARFCOM !

Link Posted: 6/28/2005 8:51:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice piece!hat
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 1:29:12 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Nice piece!
Out of curiousity, what helped you choose the 7.5" barrel over the 10" or 11"?  btw....i'm the one who started the latest brawl over pistol OAL........

Glad you asked  

I felt that since this IS meant to be a PISTOL , the shorter length and lighter weight was
preferable to any velocity gained from going longer.

It's not unpleasant to shoot ( except when HOT   ) ,  and I imagine it will be quite

impressive when fired in Low Light conditions
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 2:42:37 AM EDT
[#3]
What is the OAL of that puppy? I am too lazy to do the math of a car tube and 7.5" barrel.
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 3:06:57 AM EDT
[#4]
OAL is a hair less than 24"
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 3:09:38 AM EDT
[#5]
nice looking pistol
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 4:21:25 AM EDT
[#6]
sorry, may have missed it, what upper is that? cost for upper? looks nice
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 4:54:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Looks good, but it may be time to cough up the $200 for the SBR tax stamp.

Really, know that you need to add a butt stock to the little prince for it to be just right.
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 9:47:55 AM EDT
[#8]

Originally Posted By AKsRule

It's not unpleasant to shoot ( except when HOT  hen

I can tell you from my experience with .30carbine ammo.....with my enforcer there's a 3-4foot flame that comes out of the front of the barrel. hat
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 3:11:43 PM EDT
[#9]
I had a Carbon 15 AR15 pistol with a 7 1/4" barrel, even in sunlight it would throw a large beach ball size flash (with a muzzle brake), on an overcast day or at dusk it was extremely impressive but could cause you to lose sight of the target momentarily like when a flash goes off in your face

I really miss my AR pistol and would love to build one, only problem is NNY still has a mirror of the defunct Fed AWB so the Carbon 15's are the only choice for us.

Nice build by the way, I bet running that on a MG lower was an amazing treat

Jeff
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 5:30:09 PM EDT
[#10]
very nice looking pistol
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 5:50:38 PM EDT
[#11]
I like it.
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 3:38:52 AM EDT
[#12]
JKH -

Put a Phantom Flash Hider on your Carbon15 Pistol and it will take care of that fireball.  I have a 7.5" upper on an Oly multi function lower and people standing at the side when I fire it tell me it has absolutely no fireball.  I certainly don't see one from the shooters end both in daylight or low light.  I have a Phantom on it so I guess that is the answer.  I just sent in my Form1 Paperwork to turn it into an SBR.

MadDog
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 8:32:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Maddog,

I traded the C15 off unfortunately and will have to replace it someday. Flash hiders on a post ban weapon are still verbotten in New York state.

The beach ball flame is cool if your just plinking, etc., CQG, etc. it would make you somewhat circumspect

Jeff
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 6:35:47 PM EDT
[#14]
sweet build man

Next time you have a stuck case, pull your upper off and pry your bolt back with a flat tip screw driver.  Be safe.  And pad your reciever with something.
Link Posted: 7/10/2005 12:13:05 PM EDT
[#15]
nice man! my current build that i dont have money to finish right now was going to be a pistol but my dealer told me that i could not do a pistol because i could get intent to build a SBR because i allready own a AR-15 or some crap.. but he still transfered it to me as a stripped lower and not a rifle. but i think it will be a rifle and my next build ill get a pistol only lower. why cant this crap be straight forward?
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 12:16:08 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
nice man! my current build that i dont have money to finish right now was going to be a pistol but my dealer told me that i could not do a pistol because i could get intent to build a SBR because i allready own a AR-15 or some crap.. but he still transfered it to me as a stripped lower and not a rifle. but i think it will be a rifle and my next build ill get a pistol only lower. why cant this crap be straight forward?

Actually the law is rather straight forward. The problem is everybody wants to put their own spin on the law for various reasons. Some people are afraid of selective prosecution due to ATF horror stories floating around and some people are just ignorant.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 5:07:44 PM EDT
[#17]
we have a retired ATF agent in our local gun store. what he told me was straight line with what ive gotten off these forums. you need to have the lower reciever sold as a pistol..that one is solid. the problem comes when you build your pistol and then begin building your SBR and only have the one lower for the pistol. thats where the intent can get you, because you could definately use the pistol on the SBR. same goes with having an automatic reciever in your possesion. they reason that if you have it, your gonna use it.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 9:08:00 PM EDT
[#18]
well a little update: i went all over town and finally at the place i bought most of my handguns i had to talk to the owner i got him to sell me a stripped lower as a pistol and i got a photo copy of the yellow paper to show it was sold as a pistol and my build is almost finished i went the 7.5in route because i decided it was a pistol and should have the shorter barrel that and i like the snub look cant wait to try this baby out, also got a A1 flash hider for that nice star shaped flash...
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 2:54:23 AM EDT
[#19]
nice looking build
Link Posted: 10/16/2005 1:51:07 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
well a little update: i went all over town and finally at the place i bought most of my handguns i had to talk to the owner i got him to sell me a stripped lower as a pistol and i got a photo copy of the yellow paper to show it was sold as a pistol and my build is almost finished i went the 7.5in route because i decided it was a pistol and should have the shorter barrel that and i like the snub look cant wait to try this baby out, also got a A1 flash hider for that nice star shaped flash...

To the best of my knowledge , the stripped lower has to come from the manufacture as an unassembled lower. Stag offers this and for $20 will supply a certificate of unassembly.
Link Posted: 10/16/2005 2:15:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Oooooh!! Yaay!!  They want EXTRA $$ to supply a piece of paper that says it was sold as a stripped lower - every one of the lowers I have bought from LRB says "stripped receiver" on the receipt, and my FFL has transferred them to me as such so I can make up my mind when I build them.  Sounds like a good reason to buy from some other manufacturer.

AKsRule - who made your upper?  Nice pistola, Sir!

flcracker
Link Posted: 10/16/2005 2:20:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Nice build.You really did a number on that charging handle.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top