Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/22/2005 4:10:36 AM EDT
Hi Gents!
I like a challenge and I am considering building my nest AR15 from scratch.
Have been surfing the net and stumbled upon two lowers that have in my eyes great potential.
The two lowers are offered at AR15plus.com
1. HPS forged lower receiver
2. JFM forged lower receiver

I would be greatful for opions and advice on this build.
Thanks
Snapcap
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 5:53:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Neither. Personally, I think KTOrdnance billet lowers look better.

Link Posted: 7/22/2005 6:14:45 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Neither. Personally, I think KTOrdnance billet lowers look better.

www.ktordnance.com/kto/detail/kt15r.jpg
www.ktordnance.com/kto/detail/kt15l.jpg

Those are expensive for an 80% lower.

$200
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 6:57:00 AM EDT
[#3]
But they have an AUTO selector switch
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 10:19:27 AM EDT
[#4]
The lowers from KT look very nice, but over here where I live I have to be careful not to use any parts that where manufactured for military or law enforcement purposes.
A lower with full auto on it is like begging for trouble.
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 10:37:35 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The lowers from KT look very nice, but over here where I live I have to be careful not to use any parts that where manufactured for military or law enforcement purposes.

I didn't even pay attention to the engraving, but understand your concern. Even though it won't fire FA, it may have the potential of raising eyebrows.

I don't know how much searching you've done, but a couple other good sources for forged/billet lowers are Justin at www.cncgunsmithing.com and William at www.tanneryshop.com. Both guys are good to work with.
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 10:38:53 PM EDT
[#6]
I stumbled across Justin´s Site because of the Jig that he offers. I like  it will definitely be part of my project. If Iread the info on the Site correctly he doesnt sell, just for personal use.
I have been on the tannery Site also, he makes a good impression also.
Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 2:45:02 AM EDT
[#7]
This guy is just getting into making AR-15 lowers. He is buying his forged blanks from CMT. His 100% recievers come with many options, deletion/replacement of the roll mark, custom text, "on/off" or HK safety markings,  all stamped before annodization. He will also put coatings to order on the reciever. He is selling 80% lowers as well. As you can see, there is zip information on the site, the discussion is taking place at The Something Awful Forums. There is also a mailing list, but mainly it exists to point people around on the forums.
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 5:21:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the info, if anything comes up would you please drop me a line.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:22:40 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
This guy is just getting into making AR-15 lowers. He is buying his forged blanks from CMT. His 100% recievers come with many options, deletion/replacement of the roll mark, custom text, "on/off" or HK safety markings,  all stamped before annodization. He will also put coatings to order on the reciever. He is selling 80% lowers as well. As you can see, there is zip information on the site, the discussion is taking place at The Something Awful Forums. There is also a mailing list, but mainly it exists to point people around on the forums.

Anyone bought one of these?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:05:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Buddy of mine has ordered some, but so far they have been unable to deliver.
Only time will tell.  
The website makes a good impression.

http://www.khalan.com/

sorry I could not be of more help.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:51:14 PM EDT
[#11]
DSA has unmachined forgings for quite cheap. $25 for one, or $20 each for 2 or more.

DSA Arms
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:58:11 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
DSA has 80% forgings that are manufactured to Mil Spec standards so far, for quite cheap. $25 for one, or $20 each for 2 or more.

DSA Arms

It looks like these are unmachined 0% lowers.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:02:35 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
DSA has 80% forgings that are manufactured to Mil Spec standards so far, for quite cheap. $25 for one, or $20 each for 2 or more.

DSA Arms

It looks like these are unmachined 0% lowers.  

Well you know what pal!
You're completely correct.  My bad, they are unmachined.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 4:51:48 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Buddy of mine has ordered some, but so far they have been unable to deliver.
Only time will tell.  
The website makes a good impression.

http://www.khalan.com/

sorry I could not be of more help.

I asked if he has any in stock ready to ship and if not when he would be able to ship. Ill let you know what I hear.

Now to go finish my 0%ers
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 6:23:15 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

You can have whatever you want engraved on your AR so long as the serial number, maker, and addy are not altered or defaced.   I've seen pics of a smiley face engraved in the AUTO position on the selector.   This applies to semis, too.

Link Posted: 9/24/2005 9:17:43 AM EDT
[#16]
I built a pistol on the KT Ordnance 80% receiver....I have nothing but good things to say about KT.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:30:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Per the email I received today (sunday) from Khalan Weaponry; They are currently backordered and the wait time is estimated at 1 month. Kudos to them for the speedy reply, a little more than 24 hrs on the weekend.

I intend to purchase one and when I get it I will check it over and give an update. I also sent them a link to this thread/forum.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:00:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Khalan Weaponry is my company.  Never mentioned anything due to the advertising rules here.  I'm still way behind on the group order we did any something awful... probably be 1+ months before anything ships to other folks outside of that order.

I've had a few people cancel orders due to the wait, but these guys at sa pre-paid, so their orders are the priority.  I would have replied eariler, but I didn't know this thread was out there.

*Edit - As for the mentioned above, Justin is a talented machinist.  Their jig is nice, but I also use the one that AR15plus.com offers.  Both jigs have pro's and con's.  The only thing I didn't like about the one from CNCgunsmithing is that they didn't countersink the holes for the two screws that hold the jig together.  Which can be easily fixed.

AR15plus.com's jig has the angled cuts on the side for the pistol grip hole and the buffer retainer hole.  Makes it nice.  Though theirs is a bit tall which causes some other work holding problems.

But then again, I these jigs for 0% - 100%... so either would be sufficient for 80%-100%

*Edit2 - As for picking out an 80%, I'd definately suggest one from a forging and not a billet 80%.  During the forging process, the metal gains some great strength.  This is solely based on the fact that if you were to drop a billet, it would dent/flatten to some degre - forged aluminum will not.  Cast aluminum will do it a lot worse then a billet though.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 1:14:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for the info
Some things are worth waiting for

Take care

Snapcap
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:37:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Tag
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top