Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2005 3:25:35 PM EDT
I got everything together yesterday, and finally assembled it all last night. Using the arfcom LPK installation instructions, I was able to finish in less than 30 minutes. Took her to the range today and sent 100 rds downrange w/o a hitch. Got a delivery coming from ammoman early next week, so will post more after that! Thanks arfcom!!!
Parts:
Lower Receiver: Olympic Arms  -gun show
LPK: unnamed mfr  -M-A Parts
Upper Receiver, barrel, stock: unnamed flattop with a H and up arrow on it (any ideas?) - M-A Parts
Rear Sight: LMT Buis  -JTAC Supply
Magazines: D&H Grey Teflon with Magpul followers  -Talon Arms
DIY sling materials en route from strapworks
Optics: pending

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/TraumaRN/DSC02704.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/TraumaRN/DSC02703.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/TraumaRN/DSC02702.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/TraumaRN/DSC02705.jpg
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:32:29 PM EDT
[#1]
This is the sole mark on the upper receiver, anyone know what it is?

ETA: Apparently it is "Anchor Harvey" upper receiver markings

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/TraumaRN/DSC02707.jpg
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:30:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks good. I love my Middy.

There is really no way to tell what company finished the upper. All you know is that it was forged in the USA.

How well does it shoot?

Did you do any groups with it yet?

WIZZO
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:37:14 PM EDT
[#3]

looks good!
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:53:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice...  I am planning to get a similar mid-length kit from M&A for my next build, except with an A2 upper instead of the flat-top.  I'm doing an 80% receiver for this one though.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:44:47 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

How well does it shoot?

WIZZO

This being my first high powered rifle, I was surp[rised at the recoil. While not heavy, it was more than I expected. Shooting one of those targets with  5 bullseye targets at 25 yds, I was able to place all rounds in the targets, but I couldn't adjust the front sight. I tried pushing the detent down with the nose of a bullet, but couldn't turn the post. I did get the windage set, though. Suffice it to say, I need more range time!

Any ideas as to adjusting the front sight, or do I need a dedicated front sight tool?
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 1:37:47 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
This being my first high powered rifle, I was surp[rised at the recoil. While not heavy, it was more than I expected.

5.56 high powered?  Not much recoil at all really and the buffer in an AR sucks up most of it.  Wait until you shoot something even as big as .30-06 that is pushing around 3x the bullet weight with twice the powder.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 4:16:44 AM EDT
[#7]
very nice looking rifle, job well done congrats
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:18:24 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How well does it shoot?

WIZZO

This being my first high powered rifle, I was surp[rised at the recoil. While not heavy, it was more than I expected. Shooting one of those targets with  5 bullseye targets at 25 yds, I was able to place all rounds in the targets, but I couldn't adjust the front sight. I tried pushing the detent down with the nose of a bullet, but couldn't turn the post. I did get the windage set, though. Suffice it to say, I need more range time!

Any ideas as to adjusting the front sight, or do I need a dedicated front sight tool?

The best thing I ever did was buy a front site tool.

Any other way is a pain in the ass.

RB Precision has one HERE in the EE for $15.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 8:54:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Nice Job.

And, Yes, Get A front Sight tool.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 9:21:19 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
This being my first high powered rifle, I was surp[rised at the recoil. While not heavy, it was more than I expected.

5.56 high powered?  Not much recoil at all really and the buffer in an AR sucks up most of it.  Wait until you shoot something even as big as .30-06 that is pushing around 3x the bullet weight with twice the powder.

I've shot .308, .30-30, .30-06, shotguns, what have you. All were bolt actions and did indeed have a much heavier recoil. I thought that the blowback would lessen the recoil. Again as noted in my initial post, I stated it was not "heavy" recoil, just more than I expected!
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 10:36:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Finished my DIY 3 pt sling, thanks ggllggll!!!
I made it from grey-silver poly with charcoal poly. works awesome!!!
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 3:12:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Nice work, Trauma!

did the upper come complete?

Just curious as to who M-A uses for their hardware/barrels etc.

I really like the balance look of the mid-lengths, as the carbine stretched that additional 1.5 or 1.6 inches is a visually awkward appearance.

performance wise, carbines (16's) are terrific, but the extra length between sights I believe would be an advantage for a multi-purpose rig.

Inspiring.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 4:41:15 AM EDT
[#13]
M&A says thy use Rock River for their complete mid length uppers.  www.mapartsinc.com/anything.asp

" ...The Mid-Length is also 16”, but it has the increased site radius, that is the distance between rear and front site is longer, also making the hand-guard longer at 9.5". It is a Rock River product...."

There are some others on this forum who noticed this also.  If you search, I am sure you will find some of the discussions...

I dont have one yet, so I cant confirm it...
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 7:47:58 AM EDT
[#14]
I remember a few posted with pictures of their RRA uppers from M-A Parts. I was hoping for the same, but the only marking on the upper is pictured in my second post. This indicates it was forged by Anchor Harvey. The RRA ones actually had RRA etched on top, I believe.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:48:37 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How well does it shoot?

WIZZO

Wanna stop by and shoot my .45-70?  .338 Win Mag?  .375 H&H?

Those bad boys will gve you a lesson in recoil <G>.

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 8:06:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Oooh, Oohh an invite! Consider me there!!!

On another note, I was showing (off) my new rifle to my bro-in-law, and was talking about how I put it together, built the lower, and made the sling. The entire time my wife sat there with eyes rolled up. As this was my 2nd gun purchase this year, she is *not* happy...
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 8:10:26 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Wanna stop by and shoot my .45-70?  .338 Win Mag?  .375 H&H?

Those bad boys will gve you a lesson in recoil <G>.

I shot a Marlin Guide gun in .45-70 with like 400gr soft points.

It hurt more than the .50 BMG I shot 10 minutes before

WIZZO
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 8:18:16 PM EDT
[#18]
I understand the wife issue...  I've got to trade my fiance a dog for a gun.  So far we have two dogs and I've bought 2 guns but a third is on the way and I don't know if I can take another mutt in the house.

Speaking of recoil my dad has a good story about going over to a doctors house.  The doctor lived on a good piece of land and was a big game hunter.  He asked my dad if he wanted to fire his new big game gun that he was planning on taking to Africa that year and of course my dad took the opportunity.  They went out on back patio where he had a table and chair set up with some sandbags and loaded the gun for him.  He warned my dad to squeeze it as hard as he could against his shoulder.  Ready, aim, BANG!  My father describes it as if someone launched a 2x4 out of a howitzer straight into his shoulder.  He went home with a purple shoulder along with a hearing problem.  The doctor joked about only shooting it once or twice a day to sight it in because it was so violent.  I'm pretty sure it was .458 Winchest or .416 Rigby.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top