User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/8/2005 11:29:58 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 10:34:29 AM EDT
[#1]
lacy workbench cover?

i always thought you were kinda... funny.  
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 10:57:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 11:10:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Looks like a good set.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 11:15:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks, Tweak.

It's exactly posts like this that we newbies are looking for.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 1:39:36 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
lacy workbench cover?

Boy oh boy, is your wife gonna be pissed
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 1:51:30 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Been putting together a tool kit for a fellow overseas, trying to build an AR armorers kit but leave him some room to work on other stuff.

8 piece pin punches. Use the 5/16” to knock loose taper pins, the 1/16” is for gas tube roll and windage wheel pins, I ground the shaft of the 3/32” to clear the hump in the mag well, use it to remove bolt catch pins, 1/8” is trigger guard pins, make sure to support the offside “foot” on the lower and keep the trigger guard between the feet when installing or removing trigger guards or you will break off the “foot”.

Quick change bit screwdriver. Not the widest selection and not the best quality, luckily there are few screws on the AR/M.

10" adjustable wrench. For flash suppressors, lower receiver extensions, sight mounts, and whatever else comes up.

Small needlenose plier. For holding small damn roll pins and removing stuck cleaning patches from chambers.

Nail set punch. Use as starter punches for 1/16" roll pins.

3/8" prick punch. For staking carrier keys and lower receiver extension lock rings.

Orange dead blow no mar hammer. For adjusting parts, mainly the alinement of the front sight base in relation to the rear sight. I use a rawhide mallet as they’re more forgiving both of the tool and the work surface. If you use it a lot this hammer will chip eventually, keep that in mind. NEVER adjust the alinement of the front sight with the upper clamped in the action block; you risk bending the barrel. I take mine to the range, prone out, fire a group, and adjust the sight from there. Takes a bit of practice to figure out what Minute of Angle of your stroke is but it’s fast to do and you get a live fire zero instead of just a boresight in the shop.

Big fucking screwdriver. Removing upper buttstock screw on fixed stocks, pistol grip screws, adjusting gas tube, as a pry bar, and flinging cross the shop when a fucking rifle doesn’t work right; hence the orange handle for easy detection. Dead blow hammer can also be used for this but will fly farther and cause more damage in impact.

Slip joint pliers. Actually, the easiest way to install windage roll pins and bolt catch roll pins. Can also be used when heating or grinding parts and when you need a blood blister between your thumb and index finger.

8 oz ball peen hammer. Standard gunsmith issue, shouldn’t ever need more than that to work on the AR/M. Light enough so that if you miss your target the part won’t be destroyed. Keep an eye on this one, I’ve had good luck with these Chinese hammers but I’ve seen a couple of heads come loose.

12 piece Allen key set. Didn’t scrimp here, as the tool holder says, they’re Gorilla Proof. I hate when Allen keys rounds off or bend. I have a larger set from the same company in my tool box, I only ever use three of the wrenches. You’ll see two sizes of bolt carrier key screws and lots of companies use Allen screws for their sight mounts, pistol grips, and handguards.

I also threw in an assortment of spare punches, wrenches, pliers, and various files since he might wind up having to make his own parts/tools. Those and the tube of grease (for barrel threads) aren't shown in the pic for clarity. I also found one really cool item that I've been looking for ever since I heard a SIG armorer describe them. I'll post that thread later.

All told the tools came to $90 but you can cut some of that out by dropping the items in the preceeding paragraph, get it down to $65-70.

Hope this helps to serve as a guideline for new builders/wrenches.

My miniscule .02 compared to the mighty Tweakster...

Front detension spring installtion/removal tool.
I can't even begin to imagine loosing one of those detent pins in the sand. You guys will laugh but I've even resorted shrouding the entire receiver in a clear plastic bag as a sort of makeshift glove box when I install those preks.

Vise Grips
I feel that it is far superior to pliers when installing the roll pin for the mag catch (more controllable as you can press in increments) and it has a billion other uses.

I hope I haven't stepped on anyone's toes but I felt these were worth a mention.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 2:19:23 PM EDT
[#7]
A good Bag to keep it all together. This is on sale now for $5.99 and it is perfect for this.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 4:24:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 4:34:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 11:53:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 5:13:33 AM EDT
[#11]
What do you think of the DPMS "Claw" tool for barrel installation? (Unit that goes inside the upper, attaches thru pivot pins, bottom fits in vise?
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 4:17:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 8:55:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Although it's not necessary, I would add a pair of snap ring pliers and  the tech manual.  Cool little tool set.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 9:21:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 9:33:20 PM EDT
[#15]

Good thread.

Link Posted: 12/11/2005 4:42:31 AM EDT
[#16]
I would suggest making a slotted drift for compressing the A2 rear sight spring during roll-pin installation. Seems like an AR must-have to me.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 6:59:17 AM EDT
[#17]
You're hammer's not big enough.  Go back and try again.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:36:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 10:59:53 AM EDT
[#19]
As an aside, that action block will allow you to install a LaRue FF without dremeling out a groove for the ARD. At least it worked on my M4 upper reciever.

Tweak, you might want to include a craftsman strap wrench, they always come in handy.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 1:09:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 1:35:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Maybe if they have a spare M1A they can forge the Mongo Mini Sledge from a shot out barrel?
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:47:37 PM EDT
[#22]
excellent info Tweak, I have been slowly building myself a toolkit as well nothing extravagent.
definetly need quality allen wrenches. I rounded off a couple of cheapies tighting my buis screws.

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:30:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:26:55 PM EDT
[#24]
allen wrenchs I use 3 types rcbs in my range bag, Husky in a truck kit, and Craftsmen in my 90% use kit. when they break I just take them back for new ones. helps that sears is only 2 miles from the house.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top