Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/9/2005 2:16:00 AM EDT
Hello,

I'm building a retro M16 lookalike using a Colt SP-1 upper receiver. I have one bushy lower with a Cavalry Arms C1 stock...but obviously the color tones would be off. Do you guys have any idea how much people are asking for SP-1 lowers these days? Also, are there other Colt lowers that could be used with my project? First I thought about refinishing the upper but from a sort of collector point of view it would be a rape. Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 3:40:46 AM EDT
[#1]
refinish the lower.

stickman's refinishing thread

Link Posted: 12/9/2005 7:25:56 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
refinish the lower.

stickman's refinishing thread

No way, that guy is an ass.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 10:25:29 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Hello,

I'm building a retro M16 lookalike using a Colt SP-1 upper receiver. I have one bushy lower with a Cavalry Arms C1 stock...but obviously the color tones would be off. Do you guys have any idea how much people are asking for SP-1 lowers these days? Also, are there other Colt lowers that could be used with my project? First I thought about refinishing the upper but from a sort of collector point of view it would be a rape. Thanks.

There aren't many SP1 lowers that are ever put on the market, simply because owners either 1) keep the piece original, 2)sell off the upper and put a flat top or other later type upper on it, or 3)sell the complete rifle off.

If you indeed have an SP1 upper, with an 8mm front mounting hole, any Colt "large front pin" lower will accomodate it. Or, you can mount it on your Bushmaster lower by using an adapter sleeve to reduce the 8mm hole to 1/4inch.

The question I am forced to ask, though is: Do you really have an SP1 upper? At least one supplier is advertising "SP1 uppers" that are in fact M16A1 uppers with standard 1/4 inch mounting holes that will fit any current lower w/o modification.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 1:27:15 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted: The question I am forced to ask, though is: Do you really have an SP1 upper? At least one supplier is advertising "SP1 uppers" that are in fact M16A1 uppers with standard 1/4 inch mounting holes that will fit any current lower w/o modification.

Shamayim,I'm wanting to do the same thing as Cylinder but using my Colt SP-1 lower. What I want is an M16A1 upper with teardrop forward assist that will hopefully match the finish on my Colt lower. Who is the supplier you're referring to that sells those uppers?
Thanks,
Clint
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 2:40:48 PM EDT
[#5]
CDNN Investments.

Uppers
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 4:40:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the M16 upper info but all I need is just the upper receiver. Anyone know ehere I can buy just that?
Thanks,
Clint
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 7:01:39 PM EDT
[#7]
fulton armory
dpms
bushmaster

look up BILLBO, he is a member and has some used colt ones for a good pricear15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=119&t=313570
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 5:32:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the info. I dropped a note to Bill.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 6:15:18 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
fulton armory
dpms
bushmaster

look up BILLBO, he is a member and has some used colt ones for a good pricear15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=119&t=313570

The problem is that the uppers being sold by these people are NOT M16A1 type. They're the later style with the brass deflector that was used on the Canadian C7.  Real pattern A1 uppers just aren't being made any more. Also there color of the current production pieces is no where near the early Colt.

BILLBO, or one of the other sellers on the EE section may indeed be a good source, but remember, if you do indeed use an M16A1 upper on your SP1, you'll need to use an adapter at the front hinge.

There are some large hole Colt uppers out there, w/forward assist, and I was lucky enough to lay my hands on one a couple of years back.  They are though, tough to find and often bring a premium price.

Link Posted: 12/10/2005 6:21:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Hmmm.....seems to me that here in Finland is somebody else doing same as me.....
I got the early M16/Colt upper,need lower what fits with that !!!!!
If i refinishing a new lower would it really look like original...????
It maight be hard to find lower that fits my upper , here in Finland !!!!
And from USA its wery hard to get anything these days....  Herehttp://www.hunt101.com/img/352147.JPG
http://www.hunt101.com/img/345869.JPG
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 6:22:01 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
There are some large hole Colt uppers out there, w/forward assist, and I was lucky enough to lay my hands on one a couple of years back.  They are though, tough to find and often bring a premium price.

Just off the top of your head,what kind of money do you think it would take to buy one of these?

I might just buy a new flattop upper if I can't find one. The big problem with that is a new one won't match my Colt's older color.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 6:01:11 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just off the top of your head,what kind of money do you think it would take to buy one of these?

I might just buy a new flattop upper if I can't find one. The big problem with that is a new one won't match my Colt's older color.

Well, I only had to pop $90 for mine, 'cause the parts guy selling it didn't realize it was particularly rare.  The last one I saw for sale on the EE section was by Pete in NH, and he wanted $175, if I recall correctly. That was about a year or so ago.

BTW, the pic posted by "Finnish" looks like an Air Force surp M16 upper, not an SP1.  If so, any currently available lower will fit.  As I noted in my first post, it's all a question of the size of the front hole.  8mm is an SP1. 1/4 inch is M16. They're otherwise identical.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 6:08:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Guess I need to place a Wanted ad in the EE.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 7:33:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Let me get this straight,,I need a large front pin upper for it to fit my Colt SP-1 lower receiver?
I think I found one of those for $165 with FA,sights,and dust cover in VG condition. Sound good?
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top