Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/19/2006 3:35:30 PM EDT
Just picked up a complete RRA lower with NM Triiger. Here is a picture of the goodies in hand:

This is the upper I have on order from Del-ton:
Product Name: 16" M4 Custom Upper
Attributes (if any): Barrel - Wilson Arms 16" M4 1x9 Chrome Lined Bolt & Carrier - Chrome Bolt & Carrier Charging Handle - Standard Charging Handle Detachable
Carrying Handle - None
Flash Hiders - Phantom 5C2 Flash Hider
Gas Blocks - YHM 4 Rail Gas Block Gas Tubes - CAR Gas Tube
Handguards - YHM 4 Rail Light Weight FF Tube Upper - Flat Top Upper With T Marks

And my EoTech 512 from the group buy is in mail right now!! Yiippppeeee!!
Link Posted: 8/19/2006 5:02:39 PM EDT
[#1]
looks like your off to a great start
Link Posted: 8/19/2006 6:29:20 PM EDT
[#2]
looks like shit, del-ton sux
Your off to a great start, let me know when you have everything and we'll get her put together
Link Posted: 8/19/2006 6:41:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Just ordered Troy Ind front and back BUIS, Magpul Rail Covers and 3 pk of the Ranger Floor Plates
Link Posted: 8/20/2006 5:24:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Nice. I love new builds... they smell like CLP.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 11:25:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Just got the EoTech 512 from the GB today! Del-ton said the upper should ship out tuesday or Wednesday!!
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 3:51:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Just installed the Ergo Grip. It looks great and feels good.

Discovered a few useful bits of intel:

1. They used a Hex bolt,  size 3/16" to secure the original grip. That was a pain in the arse, had to go shopping around for some T-Handle hex wrenches since the allen wrenches were useless. Could not get enough torque to loose the bolt with the generic allen wrenches.

BTW - Harbor freight has good sale going on a set of SAE/Metric Hex T-Handle wrenches for $12!!

2. There is a spring in the handle that holds the safety switch in place basically. That was kinda scary, but got it to work.

I don't have the courage to try the stock install by myself.
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 6:11:31 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I don't have the courage to try the stock install by myself.

I no harder than the pistol grip...but RRA likes to hose the tube threads with loctite.

Mike
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 8:47:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Careful with the Harbor Freight T-handle hex wrenches too - they round off easily with too much force.  My brother ruined a set I got him working on his little RC nitro trucks in no time.  They're not exactly the most durably-made Chinese metal tools you can get.    I have a Harbor Freight credit card, so I get free reward gift certificates and buy the Chinese tools all the time.

As mvician stated, the stock won't be a killer to install, assuming you have a stock wrench.  The RRA wrench works great on M4 6-position stocks with the 4 equally-spaced notches in the castle nut (the wrench pokes into three of the four notches for a more positive grip), but it won't work at all on CAR stocks with holes in the middle of the nut like my Bushmaster CAR stock has.  For CAR stocks or M4 stocks that may have a nut with no notches around the edge, you'll need the old style wrench.

RRA is well-known for using Loctite on the castle/lock nut, so you may need to really work at it and/or heat it up with a hairdrier/heat gun to get it to turn.
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 10:34:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Looks good so far!  Keep us posted............

Link Posted: 8/30/2006 10:49:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Some more goodies have arrived and the last piece, the upper is supposed to come today.

Troy BUIS (front and back) arrived
Magpul: 3pk ranger floorplates and XT Full Length Rail Panel

Just waiting for the UPS guy to deliver the most important and expensive piece!

Thinking of a KISS stock rifle after this one!
Link Posted: 8/30/2006 11:54:44 AM EDT
[#11]
More pics.  Harbor freight is great, yeah you get what you pay for but their stuff is great for building a small shop.  I havent had any problems yet.  BTW my m4 almost done just waiting for the wilson barrel to go with rra upper lower m4 stock and quad rail handguard from MI.  Oh yeah and Aimpoint courtesy of uncle sam.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2006 6:52:57 PM EDT
[#12]
The Upper arrived from Del-Ton tonight!!

At work right now, so cannot post any pics, but when I get off tonight, I will take some pictures and post them around 12 midnight PST.

On a side Note: the Magpul ranger plates I got, any "gotchas" on installing those or is it pretty straight forward??
Link Posted: 8/30/2006 7:08:50 PM EDT
[#13]
sweetttieeeee !

Let mek now how this rifle goes ..I just love to see a newborn !
Link Posted: 8/30/2006 10:22:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/30/2006 11:06:34 PM EDT
[#15]

Here is the upper! How do you install the rail panels?? Is there some trick I don't know?

They are very tough to get on.
Link Posted: 8/31/2006 12:49:41 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
www.ncoday.com/images/AR15 Uploaded Images/DSC01896.jpg

Here is the upper! How do you install the rail panels?? Is there some trick I don't know?

They are very tough to get on.

IIRC YHM rails are not exactly to M1913 spec.
Link Posted: 8/31/2006 12:56:18 AM EDT
[#17]
I figured it out, just used my the blow dryer to warm up and loosen the rail covers and then got them on.
Link Posted: 8/31/2006 11:19:24 AM EDT
[#18]
The rifle is complete except for Eotech, Ranger Plates and Magpul stock

Here it is:
Link Posted: 8/31/2006 11:42:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Sweet ! now get that stock changed and it looks like you could move the rear sight back a notch.

Mike
Link Posted: 8/31/2006 12:38:12 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Sweet ! now get that stock changed and it looks like you could move the rear sight back a notch.

Mike

AND before anyone gives you hell about the Back Up Iron Sights, Switch them AROUND, You have them on backwards.....the are supposed to fold down TO THE REAR,

Picture courtasy of Globaltactical.com
Link Posted: 8/31/2006 4:04:31 PM EDT
[#21]
I noticed that, but the  tick marks for adjusting the rear ones would not be visible??
Link Posted: 9/1/2006 7:55:16 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I noticed that, but the  tick marks for adjusting the rear ones would not be visible??

Those tick marks are only supposed to visible for sighting in, I BELIEVE, When the SHTF and you need to use them I doubt shooters will be dialing in windage. Thats my take on it, SO there is NO need to see the tick marks when USING the BUIS.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top