Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/17/2008 6:50:24 AM EDT
Thought the mag release was oversized, but, tried it in two other lowers and it fit fine.  Anyone know what the dimension should be for the mag release opening?  Could I grind the mag release down to fit?

Thanks for your help
Link Posted: 6/17/2008 8:24:22 AM EDT
[#1]
If the lower is that out of spec I'd worry about other parts not fitting.

I'd probably return it rather than have to hand fit every part to that lower.

What make of lower?

BSW
Link Posted: 6/17/2008 9:17:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Anyone know what the mag release opening should be?

Link Posted: 6/18/2008 5:02:22 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Anyone know what the mag release opening should be?

There's dimensional blueprints somewhere around here.

However, if it is undersize, it should be exchanged.  Contact the manufacturer, it most likely won't matter if you don't have a receipt.

Found them, PDF all the way at the bottom of the page;

AR Lower Blueprint
Link Posted: 6/18/2008 6:49:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Thank you for the help.

I think I will try to send it back.  Do I have to go through an FFL to send it back?

Thanks again.

Link Posted: 6/18/2008 7:55:31 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Thank you for the help.

I think I will try to send it back.  Do I have to go through an FFL to send it back?

Thanks again.

No federal law requires you to use a FFL for a return to manufacturer, your state law may.

Check your hometown forum for details.

BSW
Link Posted: 6/18/2008 10:34:45 AM EDT
[#6]
A manufacturerer or dealer has an FFL, the manufacturer/dealer returning a lower to you, since it has the serial number on it, would require an FFL receipt on your end unless you are in the same state...and the manufacturer/dealer would want to use a FFL anyway to cover themselves even if so.

When you contact the manufacturer, they may require that you provide a FFL before they accept the item from you/give you a RMA.

With a lower, if unfixable, they probably will destroy the old one and give you a new one with the same serial number on it.

Giving you a new one with another serial number on it requires paperwork for that.

Now may be the time to find a good FFL near you, through a request in your State Hometown Forum.

Misc State laws can modify the Federal requirements.
Link Posted: 6/18/2008 10:54:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Here's a link to a BATF PDF:

http://www.atf.gov/pub/fire-explo_pub/2005/p53004/q_and_a.pdf
Link Posted: 6/18/2008 3:10:19 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Here's a link to a BATF PDF:

http://www.atf.gov/pub/fire-explo_pub/2005/p53004/q_and_a.pdf

P{24} page 192
Link Posted: 6/18/2008 5:00:35 PM EDT
[#9]
I've had that happen on a preban Eagle Arms lower with a stag LPK before.  Every other part fit perfect and eventually the mag release wore in.  It happened to be the best Lower to upper fit I have ever seen as well.  Maybee the mag release is on the upper side of the spec tollorances and the lower is on the smaller side of the tollorances.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top