Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/27/2002 10:19:53 PM EDT
---TEST FIRING PROCEDURE---
-Unload the rifle and verify that it is clear.
-Check the bore for obstructions.
-Load the rifle with one round from the magazine. Use quality ammunition and a proven magazine for this.
-Aim downrange and fire, the bolt should catch on the bolt stop. Hold the rifle as loose as possible.
-If the rifle does not lock open reload and repeat the process. Depress the bottom of the bolt stop before firing this time. This allows for weak magazine springs, sticky followers or excessive bolt stop spring tension.
-If the bolt does not lock open there is a gas system problem. Investigate and repair the problem.
-If it only locks open with the bolt stop depressed, repeat the process with a different magazine. If the rifle still fails to function then look at the bolt stop as a probable culprit.
-If it does lock open then continue to the grouping phase.
-At your favorite zero distance, fire a group. Three, six, ten rounds it doesn’t matter. Look for center wind and mechanical zero on the front sight. The rifle should shoot somewhere near those settings. Adjust the windage if it is excessive, from the front sight, with a rawhide mallet. If the elevation or windage is greater than can be adjusted for at close range, there could be serious problems with the rifle. The barrel may be bent or the sights may be crooked or mounted too high.
-Your windage zero should be within 5 clicks of center wind. I prefer my rear sight to be a centered as possible as it allows me to get on the sights faster.
---ADDENDUM---
-The Army considers groups of four centimeters at twenty-five meters to be good enough. Your opinion will vary. Four centimeters at 25 meters is equivalent to nearly 5.5MOA.
-The Army zeros their rifles at 25 meters; they also believe that a scared kid knee deep in mud, using his dead friend as a rifle rest can detect and effectively engage an enemy squad at 800 meters. Use your own discretion where your life is concerned. Look at your area of operations and determine what distances and targets you will encounter, work backwards from there.
-The only way to know if your rifle works is to shoot the hell out of it using the same kind of ammunition and magazines each time. The brand name, the origin of the parts does not matter one bit. All that matters is function. Rifles that do not work one hundred percent are a liability and only a moron would keep one that doesn’t. I would take a functioning gun show special over a broken Colt any day of the week.

-This rifle is a piece of your life support equipment, treat them as such.
-This rifle is a piece of your life support equipment; I will treat it as such.
Tweak
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top