Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/21/2003 7:33:51 AM EDT
Hi everyone.
I'm a new member with my 1st AR. It is an Eagle Arms preban that I bought at a gun show and immediately brought home to analyze parts and serial # to verify it was a legal preban.  Everything seemed fine but it had an M16 trigger. I took it out and replaced with Bushmaster AR trigger but now my hammer sits  high.  Do I need to replace all the lower parts? Any ideas would be great. Thanks
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 2:23:29 PM EDT
[#1]
[url]http://www.biggerhammer.net/ar15/hammers/[/url]

If you have a modified M-16 hammer (auto sear tab ground off), You will need to roll file the top edge off to match the profile to the L cut hammer.  You don't have to make the L-cut, just remove the tip metal down to match the L-cut radius profile.

Note: Look at the top two-right hammers.
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 5:39:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Dano523
I checked the hammer and it is the hammer with the L cut (typical AR hammer).  I again put in the new trigger and the bolt carrier drags.  Putting in the M16 trigger it works fine. I did not file anything yet because it doesn't appear to be altered.
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 6:51:32 PM EDT
[#3]
The difference between the your two triggers is that the M-16 trigger has a longer front section to sear area, which is holding the hammer a bit lower.  

The two options are to lower the bottom of the L-cut where the firing pin is dragging to use the 15 trigger, Or If the 16 trigger is the only item in the FCG that is a 16 part, then just put it back in.

The law reads that "intent to produce" means that the rifle has to operate as a MG.  Since the only differences between the two triggers are that the 16 (A1 single slot) has an open back, and the 15 a closed back, there is no intent with the single part in the rifle. If you feel compelled, just use a welder and close the back slot of the 16 trigger and it's a 15 part.
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 5:42:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks again Dano
As long as I'm legal thats all that matters because it sure shoots great.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top