Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/11/2004 12:26:28 PM EDT
I bought an A2 postban kit from J&T Dist. I put it on lower from Eagle Arms. Took it to the range today. I loaded 20 rounds into USGI 30 rd. mag. inserted mag charged weapon. I pulled the trigger went click. Pulled charging handle round extracted. Did this several more times same thing. Then I noticed that bolt wasn't closing all the way. So took mag out and inserted a round into chamber by hand. Pulled trigger and it fired. Extracted case and examined case it was severely bulged from mouth of case past shoulder down to below the shoulder. I got to looking at some of the unfired casings and they look like they have been squeezed down  from the shoulder like the chamber was to tight. The ammunition I was using was NATO M193 military. It looks like every round that I hand feed into the chamber and let the bolt close on have this same squeeze place on them. Had to nock them out of the rifle with a cleaning rod. When I ordered the upper it was suppose to have the 5.56 chamber not the .223. But it looks to me that there was some extreme pressure that bulged the case the way that it is. I looked at that case and new something wasn't right.
Does anyone know what is wrong and I can do to fix the problem.
I thought I sure am glade that the case didn't blow up in the rifle.
               Thanks
               bubba4602
Link Posted: 1/11/2004 1:35:04 PM EDT
[#1]
They have been known to ship the wrong caliber barrel.  Please post a pic of a fired case, otherwise we are just guessing.

If you have a 7.63 X 39 instead of a 5.56, the cases would be severly bulged.  I am not sure a round would chamber, it might and only be supported by the case taper.
Link Posted: 1/11/2004 2:23:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Not sure how to post a picture. Any suggestions.
               bubba4602
Link Posted: 1/11/2004 2:28:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Do you have a server you could upload the photo to?  If so, just upload it and post a link.
Link Posted: 1/11/2004 2:30:46 PM EDT
[#4]
don't know that much about computers. when it comes to that kinda stuff.
bubba4602
Link Posted: 1/11/2004 2:39:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Hey, you are a paying member, you can use AR15.com's photo server.  Links and instructions are on the home page.
Link Posted: 1/11/2004 4:35:17 PM EDT
[#6]
bubba4602,

Mic the bore.
Link Posted: 1/12/2004 9:25:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Tweak
Did take it down to my brother in law the gun smith. He mic it and it came out the dia. of the 7.62. So they sent the wrong barrel. The bolt and carrier was 5.56 but barrel is 7.62.
I looked at muzzel and it looked bigger then 223 but I didn't think about it before I took it to the range and shot it. But when I saw that case and the way it looked I new something wasn't quit right.
Link Posted: 1/12/2004 11:22:52 AM EDT
[#8]
bubba,
Congrats, you just made the FAQ. Would you believe there are people on here that don't think a .223 will fit in a 7.62 chamber?
Link Posted: 1/12/2004 12:29:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Tweak
If they don't believe it they can get ahold of me and I'll send them a picture of what a .223 case looks like after it's been fired through the 7.62 barrel. it's kinda scary. Made me breath a sigh of relief that I wasn't picking pieces of brass or something else out of the old nogen.
                 bubba4602
Link Posted: 1/12/2004 7:25:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Didn't this just happen to someone else just recently?  I can't remember who made that kit.

Hoppy
Link Posted: 1/12/2004 9:50:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'll send them a picture of what a .223 case looks like after it's been fired through the 7.62 barrel.
View Quote

Send it to me and I'll post it here. I had a guy working for me at OA1 that did this several times before I figured out (listening from outside the test fire room) what he was doing.
Link Posted: 1/13/2004 12:57:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Here's the pics, I cropped and resized them. They came blurry but clear enough to see that he wasn't joking.
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?sAccountUnq=12467&iGalleryUnq=934&iImageUnq=21579[/img]
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?sAccountUnq=12467&iGalleryUnq=934&iImageUnq=21578[/img]
Link Posted: 1/13/2004 9:49:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Here's the pics, I cropped and resized them. They came blurry but clear enough to see that he wasn't joking.
[url]http://photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?sAccountUnq=12467&iGalleryUnq=934&iImageUnq=21579[/url]
[url]http://photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?sAccountUnq=12467&iGalleryUnq=934&iImageUnq=21578[/url]
View Quote

Wow, that's umm.. scary.
Link Posted: 1/13/2004 10:46:51 PM EDT
[#14]
What's even scarier is that one of my former co workers did this several times after having been shown how to test fire the barrels.
Link Posted: 1/14/2004 11:51:53 AM EDT
[#15]
You guys are missing the big picture.  

This is the new 223 [s]Ackley[/s] J&T improved barrel with the [s]oversized bore[/s] low bullet résistance barrel to promote longer rifling life.

Since a few people have received these uppers, looks like the [s]factory test firing[/s] conceptual design has been completed  and is ready for delivery to the masses.

[peep]

Link Posted: 1/14/2004 9:58:47 PM EDT
[#16]
just another reason you should always head space a kit prior to firing.
Link Posted: 1/15/2004 10:28:31 AM EDT
[#17]
When your dealing with people that you think they know what they doing you think your safe.
Well as you can see that is not always true. I order the kit and being the kind of guy that thinks that when you order something from an outfit that you have read twenty or thirty different stories about how wonderful they are and there products you just normally trust those people. Next time it will be different.
[beathorse]
bubba4602
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top