Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/29/2004 4:52:07 AM EDT
I bought an Olypic Arms Model 97 In june and have fired roughly about 1500 rd throgh it. I have noticed that the buffer detent got chewed up so bad to the point I have to go get a new one. I wondered if anyone else has had this problem or something simular to it.

Foro
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 10:47:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 11:58:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Damage to the buffer retaining detent pin is either done by the carrier or the buffer.

When you close the upper down on the lower, can you feel the back of the carrier pushing the buffer slighty back? If the buffer is making contact with the pin on the cycle stroke, then the midle post gets bent.

If the carrier is doing the damage, then the tip of the pin is either too tall and making contact with the bottom of the carrier, or the bottom slot  sides on the carrier has a bur that is chewing the sides of the retaining pin.

If you let use know where the/wht kind of damage is being created (chewed up or bent), then we can help you correct the problem.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:41:44 PM EDT
[#3]
ok looking at my buffer detent there is alot of chew marks near the top of it. I also looked at my buffer and the carrier, and on the buffer there are marks on it but nothing on the carrier. I did notice that when ever the buffer detent did come out while firing my rifle and usually ended up in the lower receiver and the spring was in the bolt.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 11:41:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top