Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/4/2005 6:36:55 PM EDT
Is it normal for my 6 position stock to have play where it rides on the buffer?  It rattles when I shake the weapon.  It functions as expected but the movement is annoying.

Anyone know of a quick fix?
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 10:53:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 1:57:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Tweak I am new to this hense the name neophyte

What are you referring to when you address the lower reciever extention?
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 2:35:49 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Tweak I am new to this hense the name neophyte

What are you referring to when you address the lower reciever extention?

Lower receiver extension is the proper name for the buffer tube.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 3:47:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Take the stock off the tube and put it in a vise with a rag around it to keep from marring it up . Squeese it  in the vise but don't go crazy , while it is in the vise take a hair dryer and blow through the stock heating it up , do both ends , this only takes about  1min all together , This is for M4 or other stocks with the nylon type plastic ( not the alum. stocks) that are loose on the buffer tube .  
then ck it for fit on the tube , repeat if nessesary to get desired fit .
You then have a stock that fits nice and tight no rattling !       IceMan_1
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 5:36:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Thank you John and Ice.

I will try your suggestion.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 10:09:27 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Take the stock off the tube and put it in a vise with a rag around it to keep from marring it up . Squeese it  in the vise but don't go crazy , while it is in the vise take a hair dryer and blow through the stock heating it up , do both ends , this only takes about  1min all together , This is for M4 or other stocks with the nylon type plastic ( not the alum. stocks) that are loose on the buffer tube .  
then ck it for fit on the tube , repeat if nessesary to get desired fit .
You then have a stock that fits nice and tight no rattling !       IceMan_1

Is this a permanent fix or does the stock flex back to original shape over time?
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 10:13:59 AM EDT
[#7]
I just slid my buttstock off, added 1 piece of 100mph tape on the rear of the buffer tube legnth ways (approx 4 in.) slid buttsock back on.  No more rattles.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 1:27:45 PM EDT
[#8]
JeffCsr---
Is this a permanent fix or does the stock flex back to original shape over time?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I did several about a yr ago and they are still the same . How ever if it does lossen just go through the process again ! You can always try the tape method , I did before coming up with this fix , and the tape rolled up under the stock and I like to never got it off to remove the tape ! Your choice .
                                   Ice

Link Posted: 12/25/2005 7:27:36 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I just slid my buttstock off, added 1 piece of 100mph tape on the rear of the buffer tube legnth ways (approx 4 in.) slid buttsock back on.  No more rattles.

Tape is going to get loose and jam up.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 8:19:27 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tape is going to get loose and jam up.

New tape while cleaning...

ETA...Tape is cheap, and quick,

Not the best soloution, but it works.

Link Posted: 12/25/2005 8:23:55 PM EDT
[#11]
I used the soft side of a velcro tape on the tube. No more noise. It's been about 2 years.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top