Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/3/2006 4:20:19 PM EDT
I built an 7.5" AR pistol with a upper setup I bought on the EE.  As it had a M1S pistol buffer and an RB Precision carbine tube, I went with the carbine tube.

The seller said it had a glitch or two but preferred hotter loads, so-

I  (like an idiot) opened the gasport to .093" before test firing it.  It came with a pigtail, but I figured a straight pistol tube would be better long term.  It has a regular car buffer and spring.

First trip to range (drilled to .093" and straight gas tube): 100+ degrees in the shade.  Wolf poly 62.  
Pistol fired 3 30rd mags just fine.  Looked good.  Next mag it fired two or so and lodged casi in chamber, stripping next round into stuck one.  After a trip to the shed with the range officer (I forgot my cleaning rod-smart.....) I had the case out.  Extractor ripped rim off case.
I tried again and got 3 or so off and same thing happened again, so I left.
When I got the round out at home I noticed that it had heavy carbon deposit on case neck.

I put the pigtail back on, and although I thought I had cleaned it when I got it, I really went at the chamber, letting it set with a Butch's soaked patch wrapped around my chamberbrush.  LOTS of black came out. After cleaning I polished chamber with a patch wrapped on chamber brush that had Flitz on it attatched to my drill (being careful of throat).  Three times and I think all the black was out.

Right before I went to the range the following day, I found my extractor to be easier to move by hand than it should be, so I got the proper size o-ring for the extractor spring and it was much better (very stiff).

At the range I fired 400+ rounds of Wolf 55 (old), SA M193 and some other 55 FMJ I had.  I ran 3+ mag dumps at just under bump speed.  The pigtail was a funny color, but the thing went bang every time.  The only failure I had with the beefed up extractor, pigtail and polished chamber  was 3 or 4 times the BHO didn't work on the last rounds.

I didn't hurt the throat because it would hit the 12x12 stell gong at 200 yards about 1/4 of the time (I'm still learning what hold works best) and the other 3/4 were damn close to it.

My question is- should I leave it alone or should I try to use the straight gastube and a H2 or H3 buffer.  Does the original case sticking problem sound more like a cruddy chamber/weak extractor or gas dwell problem and do you think a heavy buffer/ straight gas tube will work??
I'd really like to wind up reliable w/62gr M855 and 55gr M193 (and WWB and Wolf) with the straight tube. As I stated, the pigtail's now a different color and a tad different bend than before (was centered in my YHM FF tube before, now it's almost touching one side) and I hear they may rupture/break when hot (not good with the large openings of a YHM lightweight tube).

I know my mileage may vary, but I look forward to those who know chiming in.  

Link Posted: 7/3/2006 11:06:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/8/2006 11:14:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/9/2006 6:48:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Once again Randall, thanks for the info.  I think I'll stick with the pigtail for now.

Plugging/redrilling may be the route I go.....I'm gonna send you an IM for some info.
Link Posted: 7/27/2006 3:03:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, Randall got my barrel and had it at the correct size in a week for a very modest fee.  Thanks!

It ran fine this weekend, although with FederalAE 55gr it didn't actuate the BHO on 3/6 mags, but did just fine with the standard weight CAR buffer.

Thanks again AR15Barrels!
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top