Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/17/2004 5:59:27 PM EDT
Hoppe's No. 9 is probably the only bore cleaner you will ever need; if you are willing to give it time to work.

There are two factors that create the myth that it won't remove copper.  The first is impatience and the other is the manufacture's desire to sell another bottle that's made       just to take out the copper. This creates the "common knowledge that NO. 9 won't.

Go shoot that rifle. Swab the bore out good with No. 9 and let it sit. Go on, it won't hurt anything. Let it sit overnight if you want. For that matter let it sit till the next time you want to go shoot. Now one application won't get out everthing; nothing will.  Three or four applications will though. It takes little effort or wear and tear and No. 9 will never hurt your rifle.  In fact it has enough rust preventive quality, that's it is also all you need for short and intermediate term storage.

Now if you want to clean your rifle bore right now; completely, and put it away, No. 9 will not do it.  Myself, I'd rather spend two minutes at a time, three or four times during the week; than work all evening with corrosive
cleaners that have to be carefully removed\neutralized.

Some will disagree. Those who have not tried it. Some will be dubious. Those who have listened to the ones who haven't tried it but are sure it won't work.

Mildbill, The No. 9 nut.
Link Posted: 5/17/2004 10:20:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Interesting. I'll try it! As of lately I have been usnig M-Pro7 and boy does it clean and clean fast!!!! It is non toxic and has no smell or fumes.  It does hurt wood finishes though so don't let it get on the wood! I'll try the hoppes over night thing and see how it does. The bad thing is I'll have to leave my guns out and my cleaning stuff all over the counter and in the way of other daily tasks.
Link Posted: 5/18/2004 3:06:00 AM EDT
[#2]
My Dad's nickel plated 1911 has a stain on the bead blasted upper surface caused by Hoppes #9.  In theory it should be able to do the same to chrome......."rust preservatives" notwithstanding.  I imagine prolonged exposure is necessary.

Maybe overkill, but I no longer use NH3 containing cleaners for anything but Cu++ fouling problems in non-plated bores/chambers.  #9 is safe to leave in unplated bores for 24 hrs or so, but be advised not to do so with things like Barnes, Sweet's, etc. that contain higher NH3 concentrations.

BTW, many shotgun bores are plated.  There is no advantage to using NH3 based solvents in this context.

Sam  
Link Posted: 5/26/2004 1:01:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Hi My name is Borg, and yes, I'm a Hoppe's No. 9 user, and I'm not ashamed. Yes, it's slow if you don't clean right away, and it's slow if you do. But it will NOT hurt your chrome lined bore, BUT, it will peel the nickel of your plated guns if left on. I have left Hoppe's in the bore for months at a time, and renewed it every couple of weeks. I even leave it in after I use Shooters Choice, and it still leaches copper out. I don't use the No. 9 "brown" just the reg stuff.
If you think your cleaner removes copper, try this, get an older penny, the one that doesn't have a zinc center, leave a drop of your cleaner on it overnight. Does it turn green? If not, it won't remove copper, try it and see.
Borg
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top