BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 2/15/2008 1:32:17 PM EDT
[#1]

if there's a light synthetic grease out there, that's what I'll end up trying.

www.jardinescustom.com/accessories.html

Lithium is just the thickener, it really doesn't have anything to do with the lubrication values of the grease.  And the red or whatever color is just dye for most greases.

Just get some Weapon Shield and not worry about it.
Link Posted: 2/16/2008 12:52:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I use CLP and Militec-1.
Link Posted: 2/16/2008 6:12:37 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Grease question(s):

I'm with the guys who feel the military is using CLP to have one liquid product do everything, as opposed to having two or three that excel in their own areas.  Faster and easier, yeah, but based on what it is made of it will never be the "ultimate" lube - which some of us are looking for after we've chosen the cleaning agent of our choice.

I like the synthetic motor-oil idea, but agree there, too, that oils end up running away from the parts they are supposed to lubricate in an open system (that would be for all oils, not just motor oils).

In as far as grease, though, for the grease-guys, I've long heard the benefits of lithium-based greases, but have too many times seen the white-ish Lithium greases looking dried out before their time.

I switched to synthetic marine boat bearing grease for a good amount of applications (outside of boating), and am wondering why you guys use, or hold to, the lithiums (both red and white) as opposed to switching to a synthetic-based?  Is it because the lithiums were top-dog a number of years ago?  Or is there something I don't know about lithium greases?

And are you guys even using grease on the bolt's three "gas-rings"?  That's one area I'm considering just using oil.  

I'm not saying I'm going to use marine boat bearing grease, but if there's a light synthetic grease out there, that's what I'll end up trying.

And I'll keep using CLP for cleaning and for multi-surface protection.

I would not recommend lithium, etc heavy automotive grease products for an AR.

TW25 or SuperLube would be much better choices.  I have no experience with Weapon Shield.
Link Posted: 2/17/2008 9:53:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/17/2008 9:59:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Military has approved TW25B for use and it is currently being used in the sandbox.  Many people are finding it to be better than breakfree.  I went from Rem oil to breakfree and could feel the difference.  Then I went from breakfree to TW25B and again I could feel the difference.  Smoother, less friction, etc.

Try it and see.
Link Posted: 2/17/2008 10:19:02 AM EDT
[#6]

Origin
I would not recommend lithium, etc heavy automotive grease products for an AR.

TW25 or SuperLube would be much better choices.  I have no experience with Weapon Shield.

Superlube is a fumed silica thickened synthetic grease with teflon.  It is an NLGI grade 2 GC-LB grease, meaning it IS an automotive grease for chassis and bearings.  I have not had good results with it, I had chosen it initially because the base oil is pao like BF CLP.  Not impressed.

The best grease that I have found for lubricating sliding areas on my firearms is Lubriplate 630 AA.  It is lithium thickened, and the folks at Fiske told me it had a more modern add pack than the old rifle grease, the calcium thickened 130 AA.  Next time I might try the 130 AA just because...

These greases are cheap and they are an NLGI grade 1 grease, nice and soft.  They also come in softer grades like 0 (just look for the AAA designation,) and are reasonably priced.  The 630 AA and the Aero were about 6 bucks for a 14 oz. tin.
Link Posted: 2/21/2008 10:33:02 AM EDT
[#7]
I make my own LSA/CLP lube using 5w/30 WallyWorld 100% synthetic oil, with about .25 oz of Prestone Silicone lube.  Keep it in a BreakFree 4 oz bottle with a small nut to mix the ingredients when I shake the bottle.  Has the nice tiny tube appicator.  Works very well, but I am at lattitude 60N.

Make my own Kroil/Hoppes blend.  6oz #1 heating oil (kerosene), 1oz Hoppes #9 for that great/timeless smell that says "guns", and another oz of WallyWorld liquid carburetor cleaner.  The benchrest guys love Kroil for their barrels.  I am not into chrome lined, have stainless service rifle barrels mainly.  Kroil/Kero is good for stainless the bench-guru-barrelmakers say, so I clean with it, leave a film in the barrel when stored, store muzzle down etc.

If I was going to use any kind of grease, it would be Mobil 1 synthetic 75/90w.  Nothing better than 100% synthetic lubricants, unless maybe you're lubing a Rolex watch's innards.
Link Posted: 2/21/2008 11:24:46 AM EDT
[#8]

If I was going to use any kind of grease, it would be Mobil 1 synthetic 75/90w.

What the heck??

And why are you contaminating your motor oil with silicone?
Link Posted: 2/22/2008 1:26:42 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm not too fussy about lubing but I followed Pat Rogers advice and bought some Slip2000 and it is good stuff IMHO.  I like CLP though.  Got a sample of Weapons Shield and it is good stuff also.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2008 2:40:54 AM EDT
[#10]
I use 10/30 Mobil 1, because it's cheap and it works.

CLP works too, but IMO it burns off too fast and isn't a particularly effective cleaner.

I'd rather just hose the working parts off with brake cleaner, use a dedicated bore solvent in the bore, and lube with Mobil 1.

I don't have any need for its "preservative" ability as I live in a very dry area.
Link Posted: 2/22/2008 5:24:38 AM EDT
[#11]
some guys are talking about using different lubes on different parts of the weapon. why is this?

im referring to was a heavier lube used on the bolt assembly vs the rest of the gun, i thought i read that in another post..
Link Posted: 2/24/2008 7:30:54 AM EDT
[#12]
I use Ballistol as my general lube.  Very good stuff, been using it for years on other competition guns, I figure it will work well in ARs too.
For heavier stuff, I have some "stuff" that a fella who used to work for Perazzi (sp) shotguns gave me.  It is a light grease type stuff that is used on high end shotguns.  Really slippery and doesn't seem to cook off.  A very little goes a long way.
Hank
Link Posted: 2/24/2008 7:58:41 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
im referring to was a heavier lube used on the bolt assembly vs the rest of the gun, i thought i read that in another post..

I’m one of those two-lube guys, you may have heard it from me. I use BF LP on my bolt and carrier. BF LP is heavier than BF CLP. BF CLP I reserve for cleaning and light lubing on the rest of the rifle.
Link Posted: 2/24/2008 11:46:59 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Per advice from Pat Rogers I just got some SLiP 2000 to try out.

SLIP2000 Extreme Weapons Lubricant
1 Oz. Field Pack Size with Flip Top
Code: 60317
Weight: 1.00
Price: $6.95
Quantity in Basket: none

I'm getting some when my CLP runs out.
Link Posted: 3/5/2008 11:27:16 AM EDT
[#15]
COMBAT PROVEN = CLP  its been used alot and has a PROVEN track record
Link Posted: 3/5/2008 1:41:38 PM EDT
[#16]

CLP FTW
Link Posted: 3/10/2008 1:55:46 PM EDT
[#17]
I use good 'ol CLP for most stuff.
Link Posted: 3/12/2008 6:19:33 AM EDT
[#18]
What is Breakfree?  I have two different brands of CLP Slip2000 and Mpro 7.  Those are both "CLP" correct?  It says cleans lubricates protects.  Is Breakfree a better kind?
Link Posted: 3/12/2008 6:38:15 AM EDT
[#19]
http://www.break-free.com/

breakfree clp is widely used by the military and civilians. check out their site and see what you think. if you check out the poll on the first page of this thread the majority of members use CLP.

there has been a little bit of debate on different products earlier. i would recommend you reading through the threads and make your own decision!

good luck
Link Posted: 3/14/2008 4:55:17 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
What is Breakfree?  I have two different brands of CLP Slip2000 and Mpro 7.  Those are both "CLP" correct?  It says cleans lubricates protects.  Is Breakfree a better kind?

Its just what I used most of the TIME

I did have some OTIS CLP ( it seems to be close to the same)

I use Rem Oil on my L-UDT & D/A SOCOM

I buy what works for me
Link Posted: 3/14/2008 2:51:33 PM EDT
[#21]
I like BF CLP for the "Black Rifles"..
Link Posted: 3/14/2008 2:57:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Other

I like using Mobil 1 full synthetic with Marvels mystery oil .

No real clue if it's "the best" but it works for me .

Rocklock
Link Posted: 3/14/2008 3:44:31 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
[Text Deleted]
Does any major rifle or handgun manufacturer recommend grease over oil?

My Garand gets grease on the locking lugs, op rod, hammer, etc (not the trigger or sear though). That was the de-facto lube method for a very long time.

I would think that greasing the cam pin, bolt (where the gas rings are, NOT the lugs), and the groove in the bolt carrier where the cam pin actually turns the bolt would be good candidates for a LIGHT film of grease. I don't think you'd need any grease on the lugs themselves as they're not exposed to the elements like the Garand. Since the cam pin on the bolt carrier is doing all the rotational work that's where you'd need the most lube. If you run your AR "wet", most of the carbon would stick to the oil before the grease becomes too "contaminated."

Just my thoughts on the subject....

Mike Doerner
Link Posted: 3/14/2008 6:56:50 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
[Text Deleted]

My Garand gets grease on the locking lugs, op rod, hammer, etc (not the trigger or sear though). That was the de-facto lube method for a very long time.

I would think that greasing the cam pin, bolt (where the gas rings are, NOT the lugs), and the groove in the bolt carrier where the cam pin actually turns the bolt would be good candidates for a LIGHT film of grease. I don't think you'd need any grease on the lugs themselves as they're not exposed to the elements like the Garand. Since the cam pin on the bolt carrier is doing all the rotational work that's where you'd need the most lube. If you run your AR "wet", most of the carbon would stick to the oil before the grease becomes too "contaminated."

Mike Doerner

Well put.
Link Posted: 3/15/2008 8:01:05 AM EDT
[#25]
I was using Beakfree CLP but have been rather un-impressed with it. It is neither a good cleaner or lubricant. I am also fed up with gun lubricants altogether. Specially formulated this, and micro blended that. It's a lubricant. It shouldnt cost $14 for 1oz!!

I have switched to Amsoil MP spray. They have 2 kinds, the regular and heavy duty. These are actually motorcycle chain lubes(alot more stress involved than moving gun parts) It isnt really oily. More like a wax when it dries. It doesnt come off, doesnt attract dust and provides  
a slick surface. Best of all, it costs about $6 for a 8 or 16oz can.  

Link Posted: 3/15/2008 8:18:43 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
[Text Deleted]

Mike Doerner

Tolerances on AR15s and M16s are much tighter, that is why oils generally work better for them. Grease is good for weapons of older design with looser tolerances, such as L1A1 SLRs, FALs, M1s and M14s.
Link Posted: 3/15/2008 8:20:09 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I was using Beakfree CLP but have been rather un-impressed with it. It is neither a good cleaner or lubricant. I am also fed up with gun lubricants altogether. Specially formulated this, and micro blended that. It's a lubricant. It shouldnt cost $14 for 1oz!!

I have switched to Amsoil MP spray. They have 2 kinds, the regular and heavy duty. These are actually motorcycle chain lubes(alot more stress involved than moving gun parts) It isnt really oily. More like a wax when it dries. It doesnt come off, doesnt attract dust and provides  

You may have issues with this in cold weather.
Link Posted: 3/15/2008 8:30:03 AM EDT
[#28]
I keep coming back to BreakFree CLP.  I recently tried syntheic motor oil but it was too thin (10w30) and basically dripped into the lower/blew away.  

Breakfree is good stuff as others have said, however more recently, I found an old bottle of Butch's Gun Oil, and WOW...this stuff rocks.  It has a very high viscosity so it stays in place and it does not burn off as fast as Breakfree does. After shooting the action looks like I just applied the lube to it.
Link Posted: 3/15/2008 8:49:56 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You may have issues with this in cold weather.

It sounds like heat from sustained firing might be outside the parameters of that stuff too??
Link Posted: 3/15/2008 10:08:23 AM EDT
[#30]
Think so? Been working fine. Everyone is free to buy into the super oils if they want. I prefer not to drink the Koolaid.  
Link Posted: 3/15/2008 7:50:41 PM EDT
[#31]
STP Oil Treatment works great
Link Posted: 3/16/2008 7:39:11 PM EDT
[#32]
i also thought about the amsoil metal protectant but didnt know how well it would work after shooting several rounds through the rifle. i am an amsoil dealer and i am a firm believer in all of their products.
Link Posted: 3/16/2008 7:42:51 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Think so? Been working fine. Everyone is free to buy into the super oils if they want. I prefer not to drink the Koolaid.  

lol never really thought of Break free as a super oil.
Link Posted: 3/26/2008 12:56:07 PM EDT
[#34]
My only problem with CLP is that it lubricates your hands pretty well too, and takes about 3 washes to get it off!  Other than that, it does a great job.  It's not the best cleaner in the world but works for light to medium cleaning.  Every now and then I'll put some more aggressive solvent down the barrel to get out any copper or carbon.  CLP definately lubricates better if you let it sit for a couple hours before wiping off and re-assembling the firearm.
Link Posted: 3/26/2008 8:06:20 PM EDT
[#35]
we need lub not cleaners and other snake additives -look at specs moisture ,wear and tear,temp what we run our weapons -OK look at temps say ''0'' to 450*+ no coking ,no smoke and protection ! 3 in 1 cleaner,lub and anti-rust ,I have seen some agents get hit by burned powder add some heat and water = o crap weapon jam and parts break ! some clps not break free have crapped out and rust or worst has happened ! a film system that holds under many facts of all the environmental areas and slows wear and tears so it rules out natural oils so synthetic is the way to start ! i use Mobil 1 oil with powdered moly .Teflon is a can of worms it needs very temps to melts in to metal [over 500*] at lower temps with things in the mix -its very bad like acids !
Link Posted: 3/26/2008 8:13:59 PM EDT
[#36]
I like the Break Free CLP in the bottle.  The canned aerosol shit smells like roach poison.
Link Posted: 3/26/2008 10:05:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Just sent my Bushmaster in to install a few 'goodies'. I had them test fire the gun and the barrel ended up being defective(not because of any lubrication or cleaning issues). While on the phone with the account rep. he recommended using Tetra products or any of the other cleaners and lubes Bushmaster sells. I have been using Tetra products for years with out any problems. I use the aerosol for cleaning the upper, lower and bolt/carrier. The Tetra grease(lightly spread) over the bolt and carrier and lugs. The Tetra system includes a bore lube I use to lubricate the barrel after cleaning and to wipe down the outside of the rifle. The bore cleaner is also an excellent product but smells horrible. CLP is probably the way to go if you're in a hurry, but I spend more time cleaning my guns than probably most.
Link Posted: 3/30/2008 2:50:35 AM EDT
[#38]
I clean my AR after every 100 - 150 rounds. I use a light film of litium grease on the outside of the carrier. It seems to create almost a bearing surface. The rest of the weapn including the barrel is done with BALLISTOL after a bore cleaner thru the bore an a bolt and carrier soak in Hoppes #9. Ballistol is pretty good stuff and I use it on Mil-Surp rifles since it neutralizes corrosive residue from corrosive primers.
Link Posted: 3/30/2008 5:45:46 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
My only problem with CLP is that it lubricates your hands pretty well too, and takes about 3 washes to get it off!

I starting wearing latex gloves after I read that some of the ingredients can cause liver cancer/failure with frequent exposure.
Link Posted: 3/30/2008 11:20:24 AM EDT
[#40]
I have a huge box of partly used products. I now use whatever works reasonably well and is environmentally friendly (kind to my hands and lungs).

A few products that I did not like were the ones that failed to prevent (in some cases seemed to promote) rusting. These were Remoil, FP-10 and Militec-1 (worst product used)

Break Free CLP seems to be a good all rounder (not for serious cleaning though). I use Tetra Grease for heavier dury lube (found that TW-25 turned to cheese like consistency after a year or so of rifle being in storage).

I am looking hard at Corrosion-X. It is very good to the lungs and hands (probably the least toxic product on the market) and a lot of people give it good reviews. One person says it will freeze, so perhaps my search will continue.

For now it seems that BF CLP and Tetra grease are my baseline products.
Link Posted: 3/30/2008 12:30:46 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
ok ive read the threads in this forum. ive went to the product sites but im still confused. which is the best lube out there?

Which are you asking for?  The answer to this question or the one in your title?

CLP, made by either Break Free or Royco are the best proven gun oils out there.  They have more useage than anything else.
TW-25B is (was? Have others been approved?) authorised lubricant for the Mk19 machine gun (the full auto grenade launcher) in the Army.
GMD (grease, molybdenum) is the ony authorised lube for the MK242 25mm bushmaster chain gun used in the M2 series Bradley. The Marines and might allow something else I don't have a clue.
Some peopel have had great luck using the TW-25b on other weapons as well.  And it's been combat tested this way.

BUT two CLP products are the most proven based on the amount used.

That's the easy question to answer.

The one you asked in the body of your post is a lot more subjective.  Everyone has their own opinions of what is the best lubricant.  As you can tell by this 6 page thread. I've been using Tetra, but will be switching to WeaponShield when I get a chance to get some.  It's less toxic, and I've gotten paranoid about Tetra and polymer/plastic framed guns from something I read here.  For the time being I've been using Break Free LP on my Glock, Kel-Tec, and HK until I get some Weapon Shield.
For the times I use grease, I use Rig +P.
I use the Tetra on my AR, shotgun, everything that doesn't have plastic.  And I'm very careful not to get it on my hands.  It's some pretty nasty stuff.

I use a light coat of Break Free's CLP in the bore to prevent rust.  I've had bad experiences with Militec-1 and rust in the bore from condensation. Cold outside to warm inside.
Link Posted: 3/30/2008 12:51:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Just some random thoughts:

Rem Oil: Its a very light lube, with teflon. not much of a protectant.

FP-10: Great lube but its not a cleaner in spite of what the marketing may claim.

Militec: worthless as a protectant. Poor cleaner. barely acceptable as a lube.

Breakfree CLP: does everything well and nothing great.

Slip 2000: My personal favorite all in one product. lasts longer than Breakfree once applied.

I'll use just about anything if i can get it for free. But when I'm spending my money i buy Slip 2000.
Link Posted: 3/30/2008 4:30:24 PM EDT
[#43]
CLP has the longest track record

one would think that alone would spek for itself

Ive used CLP for over 20 years on my Handguns to AR15`s
NEVER EVER A PROBLEM

So I dont Fix what aint broken
Link Posted: 4/4/2008 1:28:19 PM EDT
[#44]
BF CLP is all I use
Link Posted: 4/5/2008 4:17:55 PM EDT
[#45]
CLP but that might be because thats what they gave us never ventured to try anything else.
Link Posted: 4/5/2008 4:45:05 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
CLP but that might be because thats what they gave us never ventured to try anything else.

if it aint broke dont fix it.

ive been using breakfree clp (aerosol can) since this thread started and i have no complaints. i did find the liquid clp the other day and im going to lube all the guns up with that after i use them next.
Link Posted: 4/5/2008 6:04:05 PM EDT
[#47]
weapon shield, I haven't used it on my ar15 cause its not done yet but it works great on my S&W M&P9  I like how it has a higher viscosity than clp seems to stay put instead of running all over.
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 5:28:31 PM EDT
[#48]
:: subscribe ::
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 5:44:54 PM EDT
[#49]
Best lube...?

Where's the "Blood of mine enemies" option..?
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 2:31:42 AM EDT
[#50]
Commenting on the "combat proven" aspect of the o.p.'s subject, that would seem to predetermine the whole discussion toward only those lubes that are used in the service.  

But I think that some of the newer synthetics (that use PAO's and similar man-made compounds), which have already been mentioned in this thread, offer some superior properties.  

The best of the recent "wonder-lubes" IMHO, that I use or have tried (these are all good and roughly equal overall if you look at strengths, weaknesses, and cost-benefit comparison):

* CorrosionX
* Mpro-7 CLP
* Weapon Shield
* Gunzilla

One other item, not in the modern "wonder-lube" category, but still an outstanding competitor as an all-purpose lube and CLP product:

* Ballistol.   The amazing thing about this stuff is, it's essentially a combination of mineral oils that the Germans developed over a century ago for military gun care, but it's being MORE widely used today, both for gun care and other purposes, than ever.  The stuff is completely, 100% safe for your skin, biodegradable, non-cancer causing, etc.  It'll clean AND protect AND LUBE every inch of every part of ALL your guns:  wood/plastic/synth stocks, rubber, metal, you name it.  You can buy it by the gallon and just dip entire assemblies of parts (like your BCG) in it, for both cleaning and lube.  Like all CLPs it tends to be weakest in the cleaning category, but that said, it cleans better than most other CLPs I have ever tried including Breakfree.  Leave it in a bore overnight, it'll even remove copper build-ups!  And in addtion to all these advantages, it is the least expensive of all the modern lubes I have seen, esp. if you buy in bulk.  

My point is not, drop everything and go out and use Ballistol.  But even though it's not one of the modern lubes, I still think it is VERY worth considering along with some of the above choices.  
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top